• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UST 15 (Utah Melee Tournament - June)

DZLE

Smash Master
id like to know where this idea that brawl is shrinking came about, i mean the peoplewho i can think of who left were just missions(which is already expected for utah) Dai-a is the only one who comes to mind, but i dont think he is leaving utah for the smash scene elsewhere, is he?
no, he is not leaving utah for a different smash scene.

I still back for brawl.
I enjoy melee, and i -wish- there was a bigger scene for it, but obviously there is not.
Our brawl scene is fine right now, we can still expand. We just need to try harder.
Obviously I am here to play brawl competitively
I really enjoy playing Melee with those who prefer it as well, and I really enjoy entering the oddball tourney singles or whatever for it, but brawl is bigger, I play brawl more competitively, more people play brawl, etc.
I think my wish for Melee to be a bigger scene is wanton, because i really dont see it getting bigger than that 1 person every so often (e.g. me and lanky)
my 2 cents

DZLE

Smash Master
waff being a fellow kirby user would you say there is no power not worth taking?
I just play kirby for the lulz, but I never take powers.
I keep my neutral b open for those swallow-stage spikes because they are lulzy and ownage
Swallowcides too

edit: You guys are your double negatives... too much mindgames

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Ness, Lucas, Jiggs. Im sure their are more but I don't care to run though the list in my head. But most of the time you don't bother using your B to get a power, unless its someone like MK or Pit.

☆_Mutha-Foxin GangstaKirby_☆

Banned via Warnings
waiting for mars to hurry up with that **** blunt
Ness, Lucas, Jiggs. Im sure their are more but I don't care to run though the list in my head. But most of the time you don't bother using your B to get a power, unless its someone like MK or Pit.
._. really? jiggs isnt worth copying? rollout with minimum charge still kills at medium high (better than kirbys smashes i think)

Waffle Can

Smash Apprentice
waff being a fellow kirby user would you say there is no power not worth taking?
It really depends on the player for me. For some characters, i take hands down... like falco, wolf, snake (depending on damage)...

For me, its pretty much if its a projectile that works well. Take it.

Though Kirbyciding and spitting to a stage spike is always really nice.

You've probably already checked this before, but this really helps in the spit/swallow category.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=195032

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Hmm, I'm starting to see everyone's point. I guess I'll go with Brawl doubles instead of Melee doubles.

I mean, nothing personal, I like Melee and all, and I plan on doing the tournies for Melee, but the Melee guys are just trying to push their preferences in a majority-Brawl community. I do agree we should expand the Melee scene, but if more people want Brawl, then it'd be hard to push Melee on these people, so maybe it's for the best if we tone down the Melee, due to the majority of people who just want to play Brawl, and I think, in time, people will see how much fun Melee is and stay for the Melee tourney.

Dark Ryu

Smash Ace
Just to finish this kirby topic : Kirby's fsmash is > Anything he can suck up.

As for tournament topic, How many TV's will actually be playing brawl this time?
I would like if only one TV is playing melee and one TV playing streetfighter. The rest for brawl:]

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
That is true. However, it's not that the fsmash is better than everything else...it's what is sucked up AND the fsmash combined that gives us the power.

OH! I think we should vote on having SSB64 put back in the competitive scene! Screw Mario Party...although I would go pro for Mario Party...

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
DRyu, there can be more TVs if people bring more Brawls/Wiis. Don't expect me to read your mind, assume you brought one, or ask every person who walks into the room if they brought something. Same goes for Melee, etc.

I really don't like how people think they can demand that I have a responsibility to support brawl even more than I am already. I am using my own time and resources to support all of you. Please explain how this tournament forces everyone to play Melee, or even forces a choice between the two. It conveniently takes advantage of the large amount of overlap in players for all 3 games, so people don't have to somehow make it to a tourney every single Saturday. Melee is now getting a single serious tournament, and it should be toned down?

I'm wondering how many of you read the changes in the first post instead of just misreading that single sentence. The schedule isn't set in stone yet.

Btw, some of you completely missed why Gojira mentioned mario party.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I really don't like how people think they can demand that I have a responsibility to support brawl even more than I am already. I am using my own time and resources to support all of you. Please explain how this tournament forces everyone to play Melee, or even forces a choice between the two. It conveniently takes advantage of the large amount of overlap in players for all 3 games, so people don't have to somehow make it to a tourney every single Saturday. Melee is now getting a single serious tournament, and it should be toned down?

I'm wondering how many of you read the changes in the first post instead of just misreading that single sentence. The schedule isn't set in stone yet.
I don't think it's neccessarily we're demanding anything. I think most of the Brawl players just view Melee as something that's keeping their scene back. They are in favor of Brawl more, and view Melee as a threat. Maybe it's the impression we get from pure Melee players, who bash Brawl at every corner, and we're seeing the stereotype here, I guess. Not saying you guys are that stereotype, but we probably get the impression that you guys perfer Melee over Brawl, and so the stereotype is there. Maybe you guys do.

But maybe there should be a tourney with no Brawl. Just Melee, maybe even 64. I would totally back this up, and I think it would bring a bigger scene to all three games, and they can be intertwined in some way.

Although that would be asking a lot. The only way I see it happening is if two tournies are held at the same place, just different time of the month, or a third director comes in and makes a third tourney so everything is satisfied.

Well, that's how I view it anyway. I really don't see the force you guys are putting on us, if there is one might I add, but I can somewhat see where everyone else gets that, if that makes any sense.

DZLE

Smash Master
I don't think it's neccessarily we're demanding anything. I think most of the Brawl players just view Melee as something that's keeping their scene back. They are in favor of Brawl more, and view Melee as a threat. Maybe it's the impression we get from pure Melee players, who bash Brawl at every corner, and we're seeing the stereotype here, I guess. Not saying you guys are that stereotype, but we probably get the impression that you guys perfer Melee over Brawl, and so the stereotype is there. Maybe you guys do.

But maybe there should be a tourney with no Brawl. Just Melee, maybe even 64. I would totally back this up, and I think it would bring a bigger scene to all three games, and they can be intertwined in some way.

Although that would be asking a lot. The only way I see it happening is if two tournies are held at the same place, just different time of the month, or a third director comes in and makes a third tourney so everything is satisfied.

Well, that's how I view it anyway. I really don't see the force you guys are putting on us, if there is one might I add, but I can somewhat see where everyone else gets that, if that makes any sense.
Come mid/end of this year, i can host tourneys in my big house.

Dark Ryu

Smash Ace
No one said it forces a choice between the two games. So stop assuming it. Waff was just saying how he has no interest in them and how he goes to tournaments for brawl.

As for the Wii deal. It honestly doesn't make a difference if I brought one or not so stop bringing that up. I was just saying I would like more TV's dedicated to brawl. As in, I don't want another game/system to replace a wii. So knock off the attitude FTS. No one is hatin.

vazor

Smash Apprentice
You're going to GDC? That's pretty cool.
Do you go every year?
I plan on it. I have been going for the last two years and this will be my third.

Btw, some of you completely missed why Gojira mentioned mario party.

Haha, well I think I for one got it. :)

The new formatting in the first post is snazzy, FtS.
...I just realized I broke Dave's Stupid Rule in my match vs Joke last time. XD

Come mid/end of this year, i can host tourneys in my big house.
Hey that would be cool!

Also I agree usually you want to keep Kirby's swallow ability and only go for the other's move if you know you can use it well.

DZLE

Smash Master

Hey that would be cool!
Yeah i could have hosted them a ton mid to end of last year, but my brother moved back from japan, my cousin moved in, and my brother and his wife moved in lol.
There is still plenty of room, just not tourney room.
it will be empty again though mid/end of this year.

lol dont even know how that br got in your quote... it looks fine in the edit...

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
I have almost thought about hosting tourneys. Just my basement is ugly and would not be very appealing. Once we put carpet back in I will do some tourneys. My basement is really big and could easily hold like 6 tv's.

Also I brought my Wii last tourney. I didnt really say anything and it didnt look like there were any free tv's anyway so I didnt think we could set it up. But, next time I will let you guys know, just in case. :]

And Lanky. Me and you should team up again. :D

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'll be coming to this, for sure.

I'm going to keep on practicing Melee for this tourney.

Sada

Smash Cadet
I forgot to say I can bring a Wii.

Also, I can bring a TV if no one else is going to bring one. (I don't know how much room there is for more TVs.)

☆_Mutha-Foxin GangstaKirby_☆

Banned via Warnings
waiting for mars to hurry up with that **** blunt
It really depends on the player for me. For some characters, i take hands down... like falco, wolf, snake (depending on damage)...

For me, its pretty much if its a projectile that works well. Take it.

Though Kirbyciding and spitting to a stage spike is always really nice.

You've probably already checked this before, but this really helps in the spit/swallow category.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=195032
lol spit/swallow

._. ok no more kirby talk

im bringing brawl+ to UST, this could be interesting

FoxTheStampede

Smash Ace
I forgot to say I can bring a Wii.

Also, I can bring a TV if no one else is going to bring one. (I don't know how much room there is for more TVs.)
I could easily fit another TV. If enough people say they could bring TVs and consoles to fill them , I could move the couches and fit another 2-3 TVs.

I cannot have any brawl+ during the brawl tournament. It should be fine outside of the tournament.

Gojira

Smash Lord
I may bring a wii depending on the total number. But as soon as the brawl tourney is over its either going to be Melee or another game.

Happy birthday FTS

P.S. Brawl+ fails, sorry lol.

DZLE

Smash Master
I may bring a wii depending on the total number. But as soon as the brawl tourney is over its either going to be Melee or another game.

Happy birthday FTS

P.S. Brawl+ fails, sorry lol.
I think I agree with Goji.
But yeah. I will bring my Wii just in case.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I used to think Brawl+ was cool.

But then things got complicated and different codes came about.
I'll just stick to Melee.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I'm coming to this and bringing my brother, although the only game on this list that i'm competent at is Brawl I might enter the melee tournament for a few laughs.

I have a couple questions:

1. Will there be a TV available for Brawl friendlies at all times for people not interested in Melee, SF, etc...?

2. Why is Green HIll ZOne not banned? DDD can abuse that stage like no other.

Edit: I can also bring my Wii.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
The offical rules put it as a counter pick, and not a banned/counter or a banned stage. You can read why here http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187736.
Obviously I have read that thread and the SBR specifically stated that it was a "recommended" ruleset......most regions have their own list of counterpick/banned stages and since I have never been to a tournament here I was wondering if Utah just doesn't have any DDD players that like to take advantage of this stage.

DZLE

Smash Master
Obviously I have read that thread and the SBR specifically stated that it was a "recommended" ruleset......most regions have their own list of counterpick/banned stages and since I have never been to a tournament here I was wondering if Utah just doesn't have any DDD players that like to take advantage of this stage.
Hai, I mainz teh Dee tree, Hee iz deh kewl.

Lol, this tourney is gonna own, so many new people

Top Bottom