• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using your Up Smash

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
Out of all the smashes, I barely use this one at all. Its not a good juggler, since he swings his legs outward first, and the second someone sees your Wolf do that they're going to dodge, the after lag is bad enough to get me punished. Everyone knows that a good Wolf player uses all of Wolf's moves to their fullest potential, so how can I add more up smashes into my game play?

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
landing a shnair into an upsmash works pretty well. I usually do shnair into utilt, but if I think I can pull it off I go for the higher-knockback smash attack. :)

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
I find UpSmash an EXCELLENT punishing move for people that are a little too close.

Granted, a Shine to Dsmash is usually a good option, however, it's good to mix it up, not get too predictable.

Also, against defensive opponents who love to spotdodge or shield grab. A dashing UpSmash works perfect, the spotdodge/shield blocks the first hit, it ends/they try to grab just in time for the second hit to nail them, it sends them flying up, free Bair into whatever you want =)

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
Well, there's really a multitude of ways the Up-smash can be used, and most of the effective ways were already list. I'd say that If you wanted to, combo in an Up-smash from a Wall Of Wolf, landing behind your opponent and catching them a bit off gaurd.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Someone mentioned using it to punish side steppers. I agree, but not completely. It is two hits, but yet a single sidestep can still avoid two, or the second hit can sometimes be shielded. Sidestepping is broken in this game.

I tend to use it when they are on platforms above me and a Uair seems inappropriate, or to punish sidestepping. It also sometimes sends them off to the side instead of up, which always ****s them up.

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
Well looks like Kos hasn't beat me to this, so I'll say it:

The lag after the up-smash is weird, you can actually do any move right after wolf land to the ground.
I noticed this while playing against Kos; He did upsmash and before I could punish him for it he down smashed me. Go try it, you'll see what I mean once you get the timing down.

Any questions about this feel free to ask me, or Kos since he's the one he taught me this nice little strategy.XD

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
You're probably referring to IASA frames, which I didn't know the Up Smash had. I'll have to check that out.

:confused:

I don't exactly know what IASA frames stand for, but I'm supposing it's some kind of auto cancel thing or something, care to explain?:)

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
I forget the actual abreviation.... but I know it's like you can cancel the move before the FULL animation ends.

Great example: Marth's Dtilt, as soon as he pulls his elbow back you can attack again (instead of you having to wait for his entire body to move back to it's original position)

goodkid

Smash Lord
Can't remember what it is either, but check in the Melee discussion, everything in terms of Smash is in there.

Top Bottom