• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using only the L or the R button

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
I don't know how many people do this. But I would like to get a general idea of how many people actually use just the l or the r button without using the other. Like I know some people might l cancel with the l and wave dash with the r and vice versa. But for me I use the l button to do everything my l canceling and wavedashing. So is there anyone else who does this?

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I use R for shielding and wavedashing. I use L for L-canceling. It's the only way I can do them. I don't know if it depends on being right handed for me, but all my left hand has to do is slam down on the L button once in a while. I can't wavedash with L.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
I only use the R button for l-cancelling, wavedashing, shielding, ect. I'm pretty sure a lot of people only use one or the other, but I may be wrong.
A lot of people use both like everyone I play with uses L for l-canceling and shielding and r for wavedash. But using the r to do everything? That's crazy lol.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
some people prefer the R for everything and some people dont.

i myself use L for everything. maybe at some points in a game ill use R but that is very rarely. im not good at timing my R trigger thats why i never rally use it.

Banks

Smash Hero
I think sheilding is the only thing i use both buttons for, depending on what im doing. wavesheilding or just sheiding. w/e

amished

Smash Cadet
The only thing I use the R trigger for is Wavedashing, since I feel I can coordinate one hand by itself better than two hands. Otherwise teching, shielding (and shieldgrabbing), and rolling are all done with my L trigger.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
A lot of people use both like everyone I play with uses L for l-canceling and shielding and r for wavedash. But using the r to do everything? That's crazy lol.
lol, my friend uses R for everything. My extra controller has a screwed up L button and it doesn't affect him at all :laugh:

Shieldkrusher

Smash Cadet
I use L for L-Cancelling and Wavedashing (for some reason I can never pull it off with R) and I use R for shielding+everything else.

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
I use R for everything except wavedashing out of my shield. It's easier to use L and wavedash with R.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I use R to shield/shield grab

L for everything else.

and I hit both to powershield, because thats how I thought you had to do it when I first played...

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
I use L for L-cancel and shield. But I also use R for wavedash and shieldgrabbing. For some reason I can't shieldgrab with L...

Banks

Smash Hero
as long as you can do it, it doesnt matter but you have to regulate how hard you are pressing buttons which can be annyoing in real battles, i just think its more logical to use two buttons, but w/e

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
L:

L cancel
Wavedashing
Shielding
Wavedashing out of shield
Techning
Airdodging

There should be a web on my R button by now....>_>

CptMarth16

Smash Rookie
Do you guys use the right middle finger on the R button? I use L for almost everything, but I'll try using R to improve WDing etc. I can imagine it being a difficulty to switch the index finger from R to Z.

W4veMantis

Smash Journeyman
I use L for L-canceling and R for Wavedashing. I always use my index fingers with the shoulder buttons. it feels to weird using my middle fingers.

Elen

Smash Lord
I use L for everything except rolling up from the left edge. I probably subconsiously think that R is for Right lol. But for everything else, L cancelling, shielding, wavedashing, and rolling up from the right edge I use L ^.^

SeishukuSheik

Smash Rookie
... I don't think I've ever touched L. Seriously, ever. '_'

I think it'd be too hard for myself to unlearn using R for everything. I recently tried to do stuff with the L trigger 'cause I'm picking up Fox for fun... xD But thank goodness it's for FUN. That L Trigger is crazy. CRAZY.

Radicalation

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I'm one of those that use the R for everything. The only time I use the L at all is if I need to wavedash right after a tech or an l-cancel in which case I l-cancel with r and wavedash with l.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I think that once you learn how to play a certain way, it's nearly impossible to change it. Like my Ganon for example. I played Ganon vs lvl 9 computers for years, I was at the pinnacle of noob gameplay. I have since change my style for tournament gameplay, but if you see my Ganon play, it's quite evident. I learned how to wavedash with R, and I can't do it any other way.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
actually i have perfected waveshielding. wavedashing into a shield with only the L button.

i jus hold L right before the click, and then continue to wavedash while holding it down at that point where second function click is.
Yeah it's not that hard, though I haven't perfected it yet lol. My friend said it would be a hell of a lot easier to do stuff like fox's drill to waveshine combos which I could see that as a possibility but I'm so used to just using L now that it would be very hard for me to change. I tried it and I was like screw this.

Top Bottom