• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

uses for down B?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samus-T

Smash Lord
haha only thing i could think of is if ur playing another ddd and they up b towards the map and at the peak of their up b u hit em with it ha thats all i got dood

CO18

Smash Hero
haha only thing i could think of is if ur playing another ddd and they up b towards the map and at the peak of their up b u hit em with it ha thats all i got dood
That *****. I do it quite often in ddd dittos.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
Down B is for baiting reactions and then punishing with a lethal +16(?) points of mechanized doom. Like down throw and charge hammer and start walking towards your opponent. 9 times out of 10 survival instinct kicks in and they play defensively by either shielding sidestepping or rolling.

If they roll walk towards them and hit them
If they sidestep, with the right timing, you can hit them at the end of the sidestep, or do nothing and let them continue to panic
If they shield stand there and bait out a reaction.

You have to be patient with the hammer and watch for the second they drop their sheild to do something. I can't tell you how many times i've baited out a roll dodge, turned around, and killed them for it.

Edit:

Just remembered its really easy to prep the hammer, jump, bait an airdodge, land, and kill them in their landing lag.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
One use i've seen over and over again work successfully, is punishing laggy up-b's.

DDD Ditto, lucario, marth...

if u've seen my combo vid u can see a perfect set-up for those marth's that think they can up-b out of ur chaingrab.

wat u do is chaingrab,early %, mess up once wen they wana up b, let 'em think ur not good at it, than at about 50%, chaingrab twice/three times, let 'em up b and start chargin ur down b, meet them wherever they land with a kill move from a grab u got at 30. :D

good enough?

Samus-T

Smash Lord
One use i've seen over and over again work successfully, is punishing laggy up-b's.

if u've seen my combo vid u can see a perfect set-up for those marth's that think they can up-b out of ur chaingrab.

wat u do is chaingrab,early %, mess up once wen they wana up b, let 'em think ur not good at it, than at about 50%, chaingrab twice/three times, let 'em up b and start chargin ur down b, meet them wherever they land with a kill move from a grab u got at 30. :D

good enough?
Brilliant!!! haha in that situation i usually just fsmash or dash attack :lick:

Buuman

Smash Ace

good enough?
Just earned a bit of respect from me mang. That is a good use for it ;)

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Now that's a very good mindgame of a use for it. People usdually press buttons like crazy during D3's CG.

Pdiamond

Smash Apprentice
unless you can easily do the "shuffle" the only other reason i would use it would be to surprise someone with it by edge guarding.

lain

Smash Master
It actually can work well. Not a regular practical thing to do, but it works in some cases.

Like if your opponent is in the air, and you're below him. If you start charging it, a LOT of people try an airdodge past you to avoid being hit. So just wait for the airdodge.

Sex, I swear.
this.

10chars.

MRTW113

Smash Journeyman
Jet Hammer is great for mindgames. You can hold it for as long as you want and changed directions, punishing spotdodgers and rollers.

3transfat

Smash Journeyman
The quick dashes require intense button pressing, but it moves much faster than King Dedede can run. So maybe that has some useful applications? Along with aerial use as a tap, I would think this is the only real use that wouldn't involve mindgaming your opponent into a charged shot.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Best way I've seen it used is if they're in the air you start charging it and since you can jump during it you'll usually bait them into an air dodge and punish them when you and them land (since it is apparently twice as strong while grounded and it'll be more powerful due to a longer charge), idk just what I've seen.

rofljont

Smash Apprentice
the only use for the down b anyway is an unexpected move against light characters, i have knocked meta out of the tornado and killed him this way

BOP (Bird of Prey)

Smash Rookie
Let's see... The jet hammer has two or three different effects, right? All do damge, sure, but at varying hieghts. I don't remember off the top of my head how long you had to charge it to get the desired hight, but I hvae found a few good uses for it... One, it's good for mindgames (mine, anyways). Your opponent, seeing you charge a down - B, needs to consider his options. They won't know whether you will release it immediately or fully charge it. The most common response I have found it that they spot dodge/shield, and, if you haven't released, go on the offensive. However, this won't work so well on projectile spammers (Lucario and Link/TL come to mind), so use it against characters like Donkey Kong or (better alternative) Wario.Two, It can be a good kill in optimal conditions. If your enemy doesn't expect it, they won't be ready, and that could lead to opportunities. Three, most good people know what kind of power lies behind that jet, and if you have waddles distracting them on-screen, they might be forced to retreat, giving you plenty of space. Four, it acts as a mobile f-smash. It takes about the same amount of time to charge a f-smash to perfectly charge a down-b, and the difference is that you can move and jump while charging. Lastly, NO ONE USES THE HAMMER. EVER. Your opponent (9 out of 10 times) won't expect you to use a jet hammer, and once you do, it'll spook them into changing their style to adapt to the new threat, which could lead to more openings. I don't use it all that much, but I make sure that when I use it, I use it effectively.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
How bout the glitch that lets you slide with it it can play a mind game but the damage isnt worth it

M2K asking for help, the world has gone into despair

lain

Smash Master
Lol. But it's true though!

Esp. against snakes, they'll typically airdodge to get back safely on the ground. Once that Jet hammer comes up, they panic and try and airdodge.

Coney

Smash Master
Good ****ing luck hitting it though.

I can't count how many times I've tried to kill a nado only to have them pull back and them come at me with DOUBLE FORCE.

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
yea, but lets say ur out of jumps and the guy is below spamming, least u dont have to worry bout falling and spacing an inhale or bair. jet hammer hits most of the time no matter where u let it go, at the very least pings, allowing u to touch the ground yet again

leonin

Smash Cadet
I think the most effective way to use it is when u lost a stock.
After coming back invincible,u can fully charge it safely and u can approach the enemy without any fear,the rest is up to mindgames.

Sometimes i use it as a ''aerial counter'',when i am sent flying up and away,i start charging down B,then i try to predict if the enemy is coming for me in the air or wait in the ground to attack with upsmash,if u predict the right action and uses the Down B with right timing,usually is king dedede who will gain a hit,even if it is a fox's Upsmash or DDD aerials.

rofljont

Smash Apprentice
what ive really been using it for recently is pivoting its total mind games to be moving away and then insta-turn jet hammer is pretty good

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Nice necro bump. Take it to the Q and A thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom