• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

usefulness of normal attacks

Phir3

Smash Apprentice
My friend only uses special attacks when we play Brawl. When I asked him why he does so, he told me that normal attacks are too weak and don't do enough damage. I told him that they rack up damage and usually have less lag. What do you guys think about normal attacks and their uses?

K 2

Smash Lord
Depending on your character, "A" attacks should be your primary method of racking up damage. Obviously, you should use specials too, but that's more character dependent. It seems like your friend sucks at brawl XD

Sukai

Smash Champion
I take it you mean non special attacks in general, in contrast to just jabs.
Leave your friend to stay in mediocrity, you improve your game and show him that characters were given jab, tilts, smashes, and aerials for a reason.
Maybe then he will learn the hard way that specials only are stupid and noobish.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Your friend must have mental issues. Correct? Marth uses basically every single move he has. All of them do damage if they're fresh. There are virtually no "Normal" moves that don't do decent damage. And spamming special moves is something an 8 year old who just bought the game would do.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
If he doesn't figure it out after you beat him using more moves, he's hopeless. It should be pretty obvious to him how weak his strategy is after a few devastating defeats.

Phir3

Smash Apprentice
I've never played him, but another friend has. John(the other guy) wanted to duel him. J(the newbie) refused to play any stage except Bridge of Eldin. John said OK, but told him that it was an unfair stage. Once John beat J, J said he lost because it was unfair stage. But now I think he might be leaning more toward playing normally.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
Tell you're friend he really needs to reconsider how to play, otherwise, he's gonna be stuck at his playing level and will never improve

Phir3

Smash Apprentice
@CRASHiC
No, I'm just using variations of my friends names. I think they would get mad if I used their real names. I also e-mailed the link to this thread to John.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
For the most part I can tell you the best thing you can do is learn yourself how to play Marth at his best (go to character boards, read a few Marth guides, then watch some of his videos). After you do practice, then own your friend.

Than he'll understand.

Phir3

Smash Apprentice
@ColinJF
By special I mean "B" attacks. How successful are you with this tactic?

@Ugg
I don't know if he knows how to grab. When he brawled John he learned how to dash attack.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Tailwhips with Ness are awesome.

Someone needs to tell the nameless mass of Sonic players out there that there's more than down-B.

We could have avoided the whole "omg lol sonic priority <<< everyone" deal if they had just played with the A button like decent players.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Dude just learn how to dominate him, by the sounds of this he is below terrible at the game, so annihilate him.
Oh yeah, and just to spite him, don't use your B moves for anything except recovery and maybe a necessary punishments.
:bee:

M15t3R E

Smash Master
My friend only uses special attacks when we play Brawl. When I asked him why he does so, he told me that normal attacks are too weak and don't do enough damage. I told him that they rack up damage and usually have less lag. What do you guys think about normal attacks and their uses?
Special attacks are FAR LESS versatile than tilts and aerials. That much is not arguable. Your friend will stay a scrub til the end of his days if he doesn't lose that scrubby, nonsensical mentality of his.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
OMG NO WAI. =O

If anything, special attacks are the moves you're supposed to not use that much. Unless it's Pikachu's TJs or Mario's Fireballs. ._.;;

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Special Moves tend to be called "Special moves" because they are only used on special occasions. Of course if one of them is a projectile it is good to use it from far away whenever you get a chance. Projectiles are your exception, but don't be expecting kills with those.

This thread makes me die a little bit more inside every time.

:(

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Wait...

How is he even landing KOs using specials only with Ganondorf? IIRC none of his specials have sub-150 KO power except nB, which'll never exactly land >_>
Aerial Wizard's Foot kills pretty early and spikes, actually. If he was some prediction master and could tech chase with Ganon's Side B, I could see the man winning with two moves.

As it stands, however, the person in question probably sucks and does NOT KO under 150%. Ganon minus the only thing he has going for him. :)

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Ganondorfs Special attacks are pretty good. Some I'd consider better then his A attacks, so I cann see where your friends coming from.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
A lot of characters have 4 useful special moves, and only a few characters have special moves that aren't somewhat useful at least.

Luigi, Diddy Kong, Wario, Link, Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus, Pit, Ice Climbers, Kirby, Olimar, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Ivysaur, Charizard, Marth, and Sonic off the top of my head have four specials that are all very useful to them. A few others like Snake are debatable to be included in this group (I'm not sure how useful the Nikita really is), and then you have guys like Ike who have 3 obviously useful ones and a fourth that's nice to have but not actually worth using all that often (if only Ike had Marth's Counter...). I actually am not that sure about including Bowser in the 4 useful specials group on account of Bowser Bomb being a pretty limited move, and I've seen some players with very good SDI who seem to make Fire Breath into a move that isn't very good.

The main reason using only special moves is a bad idea isn't that special moves are bad so much as limiting yourself to 4 moves is really limiting no matter how good those moves are...

Top Bottom