• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Use Shield SDI to get synced grabs when you don't deserve them! (vids)

PEEF!

Smash Hero
First of all you should have been subscribed to me and already know about this. (sub for awesome IC stuff! =D)

For those of you who haven't seen, this is what I have been working on.

Shield SDI>shiedgrabbing Raptor Boost:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rminRwW8Un0

Shield SDI>shieldgrabbing Stomp and Knee (a much more concise video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIu4HHlKucM

The Raptor boost and Stomp versions are pretty automatic as long as they land on the front of your shield. The knee has to be on the front and it has to hit the top of your shield to work.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Stomp L-canceled at the lowest point on a shield is -3 for Falcon.

But his Jab comes out in 3.

So yeah if he Dairs properly he can always Gentleman.

But if he's off by a bit you can shield grab. Takes some timing skill though, which can be really difficult.

Knee puts Falcon at frame advantage if he L-cancels on the lowest point of a shield.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
this doesn't effect sheild stun correct? I know it would then be broken. also this will force the ice climbers and who ever they are fighting to tighten their attacks and space perfect in every way. how does this work with nana and the light sheild?
also this could help deal with some camping.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Stomp L-canceled at the lowest point on a shield is -3 for Falcon.

But his Jab comes out in 3.

So yeah if he Dairs properly he can always Gentleman.

But if he's off by a bit you can shield grab. Takes some timing skill though, which can be really difficult.

Knee puts Falcon at frame advantage if he L-cancels on the lowest point of a shield.
Yeah, no falcon is going to do it perfectly every time. This gives us the opportunity to get a super-high reward for a low cost.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Can you just hold the control stick instead of tapping it?
That only gives automatic smash DI (ASDI), which doesn't help you. You have to tap it while in shieldstun to SDI which gets you far enough

PEEF!

Smash Hero
have you tried this on Marth or anyone else to see if its applicable in those match ups?
Give me ideas for moves and I'll make vidz.

I'm going to try Fox Usmash, Falco Fsmash, Marth Dtilt, and some others.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
You can wd oos grab Fox's u-smash. It would definitely be worth trying against Falco's f-smash and Marth's f-air/d-tilt since those are moves that you can legitimately shieldgrab

I'm pretty certain you don't need sdi to grab raptor boost. Also, like KK said, late knee has a +1 frame advantage on shield; while the Falcon player might not be doing perfect last frame aerials every time, he has to mess up significantly for your grab to beat his jab/raptor boost.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
You can wd oos grab Fox's u-smash. It would definitely be worth trying against Falco's f-smash and Marth's f-air/d-tilt since those are moves that you can legitimately shieldgrab

I'm pretty certain you don't need sdi to grab raptor boost. Also, like KK said, late knee has a +1 frame advantage on shield; while the Falcon player might not be doing perfect last frame aerials every time, he has to mess up significantly for your grab to beat his jab/raptor boost.
You do have to SDI to grab raptor boost every. Waiting longer doesn't help, but if you'd like to post a video thatd be great.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
You do have to SDI to grab raptor boost every. Waiting longer doesn't help, but if you'd like to post a video thatd be great.
Judging by your video, you're waiting too long. I don't think I described the timing well before; basically, Falcon hits you and then moves slightly away. To test this out, shield raptor boost, wait until the move is completely over, and try to grab--it misses because he's too far away. The timing is, ideally, to grab as soon as you're out of hitstun. I'll make a video when I have more time.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think it would be too hard to do this vs Sheik's F-tilt since it comes out super fast and you don't have visual cues like you do with aerials (them physically jumping).

Binx

Smash Master
vs Sheiks forward tilt you might be able to waveshield then smash DI into it, I've had sheiks that ftilt into shield because it usually pushes you back enough for her not to get shield grabbed and if they didn't shield it could lead into stuff, obviously good sheiks wouldnt do this at really lower percents but it *might* be viable sometimes if you are waveshielding anyways and are able to react to the tilt.

Top Bottom