• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Use more dtilt

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Seriously.

This move is a gdlk kill set-up. Mario's speed makes it hard to react to, and you can reliably hit with it, since it's out on frame 5. After that, it puts your opponent in a position that says, "****, I need to airdodge here."

If it was any better, it would combo into stuff, but that's what Utilt is for at lower percents. This just auto-baits an airdodge into a smash, even at kill percents. Try it out more. It's been working a lot for me. The best thing is when the opponent realizes, "****, that was dtilt."

Also, if you use enough ftilt (which is virtually safe) your opponent won't be reacting to punish it as quickly.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I wish my character had a 5 frame ground move. :\

Lucario's just too slow for things like this.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Jab canceling to D-tilt is legit, and it has more range than the Jab and hits lower. But hmmmm, yeah, you have a pretty good point. It's a nice trap setup.

Man dude, I just started using F-tilt to add to my poke and zone game and it's helped a TON. Now I need to add D-tilt to the mix? Man, the fun never ends.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
um

im pretty sure pierce is drunk

me and him were just talking about the other day how d tilt is the worst move in the game for mario lmao

like its so bad

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
I use Down tilt some times just to pull it out so it won't fill useless

Also I never new it could do 7% Damage, I thought It was always 5%

PZ

Smash Lord
I know i dont main mario but its true dtilt may seem bad all the other years but thats what makes it special now. Its so unexpected it can set up combos at almost any percentage and like the guy said at the very top it can setup killz. The only problem i see with this move is that dsmash op utilt is a better option at low percentages utilt is very handy at i high percentages dsmash ownz. As far as i said dtilt is as useful as all of mario's other moves its not the worse in order to find out if a move is a worthless you have to look on the good things about it and not listen to what others say so pikachu's side b is a great example it may be practically useless unless for recovery but it can be used for gimps or if your opponent hardly shields or thinks your going to wait til its gets full so you can go for a shield break or you can get around the stage as easy as qac if you time it correctly youll be able to land on the ledge. Theres nothing bad about something theres always something good look on the bright sides not the bad.:)
Also heres a random note i <3 mario's fair its too cool. He throws a punch at his opponents hes 1 of the manliest characters on the game besides captain falcon.;)

Inferno3044

Smash Master
After that, it puts your opponent in a position that says, "****, I need to airdodge here."
Read this sentence. It's the only one that matters. Pierce can be quite wordy.

He hit me with a Dtilt a little while ago in Mario dittos. I air dodged then got Usmashed and died. He put me in the exact situation said above. Other than for this, it's a garbage move. Anything else you could do with Dtilt can be done and more by Ftilt.

Ksizzle, it is still our worst move, but even this can do something other then "lol. I hit you with Dtilt." He's just trying to utilize every move given. Not even MK can do that.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Read this sentence. It's the only one that matters. Pierce can be quite wordy.
I understand that, it's pretty much the only reason why I'd consider using D-tilt.

But why deliberately use it when you can attack Mario before he even has the chance to attack? Using D-tilt virtually means "punish me".

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
loll dtilt is an option no doubt about it, most people dont even expect it but there's always better options but it doesnt hurt to know ALL your options as Mario

still good point pierce its still ****ty *** crap move tho lol

Matt07

Smash Master
The problem is that there's no reliable way to even land the move! Maybe jab cancelling, sure. But who'd do that when you can grab or d-smash, f-tilt, etc.

Everytime I end up using it (lol) I always miss, and get punished. And if I do hit with it, I'm too surpised to follow up with anything.

BSP

Smash Legend
It sort of fails if your opponent has offense in mind and attacks, or jumps away.

Flameleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valthiel_Malus
-U guys don't have enough imagination to use Dtilt...except maybe Famous x9...
Tip: Mario's longest 5 frames standing attack in range=Dtilt-

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
ftilt has comparable range and is safer and 5 frames. However, if you frequently use ftilt, your opponent is not likely to try and punish you the ONE time you use dtilt. Even if your opponent jumps away instead of airdodges, you still gain massive stage presence for forcing a mid-air jump (except vs MK :-( ). This move was designed to make your opponent airdodge around kill percents. At less than 100%, it's really crap. Otherwise, it has that low knockback set up that's just perfect. This is especially good for Mario's with a style like mine, because I'm really fast and aggressive, so the way I condition my opponent's to respond naturally rewards this option. I generally get many, many follow up hits, so my opponent is extremely likely to airdodge, or try to evade a follow up.

It's really just another mindgame tool. Consider this:

I frequently perform empty SHs, baits, and cross-ups, that don't involve using an attack, or whiffing one on purpose. This isn't really safe, it just abuses the fact that my opponent is blocking because my position implies a potential incoming attack. Therefore, they sit and shield, and I respace, reset the position, or attack from a completely unexpected angle. I'm sure you've all done this type of mindgame before, where you make your opponent assume it's a good time to drop their shield, or grab, and then punish with an fsmash for a kill.

This is similar in concept. By putting your opponent in a position where they are likely to select a blocking or dodging option, you gain an opportunity to kill your opponent with Usmash or even fsmash. You complain Mario doesn't kill until late, but ignore a move that kill sets at kill percents. I'm not buying it.

TL:DR

Similar to how you take a risk when you throw empty SHs at your opponent to create an implied time to block and punish with fsmash, dtilt initiates an implied time to dodge, and punishes.

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
Mario has options with D-tilt are situational working a select percentages on different characters depending on Weight/Fallspeed/Range/Priority/AttackSpeed. D-smash and Dash Attack can attack if they DI away and U-smash can hit after ~11 frames. Mario though doesn't have lots of range for if they DI up and towards Mario. The opponent might also Outrange/Outprioritize U-smash/U-air/D-air/N-air/U-tilt.

Still, F-smash can hit if they have high aerial movement and DI away from Mario. On floaty Characters that that don't have much range/priority I guess D-tilt is ok. But other than that it doesn't put Mario in a good position because his options after D-tilt don't reach high enough or attack early enough or don't have that much priority or are laggy.

It also might be better if D-tilt did 12-14% damage instead of 5%-7%. Though Ducking in general does have uses because Mario can duck under attacks like Falco's Blaster and Reflector and even evade hitboxes.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
The only down fall about the Ducking is he can't crawl....

But his Reflectability helps thatl...

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I haven't read anything at all, other than Pierce's original post.. But how would a dtilt compare to an angle downward ftilt? They both send the opponents in different trajectory, but seems as dtilt you can do potential mind game combos, while ftilt is more of a gtfo kind of move.

Top Bottom