• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Use more Dash Attack.

Coffee™

I need it....
Like... this is a seriously good move and when I watch most Pit players play they hardly ever use it. It has good overall range, is EASY to punish with, does good damage and most of all it actually kills at moderately high percents. MK dies like 125ish from Dash Attack guaranteed, thats basically as strong as MK's Grounded Shuttle Loop in terms of knockback.

Use Dash Attack more! :ohwell:

Adol Christin

Smash Cadet
I do.

I know that it's has a big cooling lag, but it's a really useful finishing move.
It starts to kill between 120 and 150 on most of the cast (except really heavy characters) and can be easely set up with an arrow!

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Hmm, yeah I haven't really used it because I thought it was laggy. How should I deal w/ that negative?

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I get kills with it all the time.

And people are usually surprised.

Gadiel VaStar said:
Hmm, yeah I haven't really used it because I thought it was laggy. How should I deal w/ that negative?
Don't use it unless it's going to hit. I guess.

Adol Christin

Smash Cadet
Use it only when you're sure that you will surprise your opponent and won't be powershielded.
Firing some arrows at mid distance when your opponent has high percent help to chain with a guaranteed dash attack: touched by the arrow, he will be brievely stunt, but enough for you to land a safe dash attack.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
"use dash attack more" Doesn't help anything.

What is more helpful to say is "Use dash attack to punish metaknights f-tilt oos, dsmash oos and tornado. A short range arrow against meta in air will combo into a dash attack. This is a really good way to set up for a kill if dash attack is refreshed."

Arzengel

Smash Apprentice
Dash attack... hmm, i do remember once winning an intense match against a king dee dee and dash attack did save me!
But for king dee dee i think he was almost 200, he had just swung his DOWN B massive hammer, i had side stepped and he missed, then i seized my chance.

USE IT it if your opponent is also cooling in lag, thats a perfect copportunity. gotta be quick though.

Coffee™

I need it....
"use dash attack more" Doesn't help anything.

What is more helpful to say is "Use dash attack to punish metaknights f-tilt oos, dsmash oos and tornado. A short range arrow against meta in air will combo into a dash attack. This is a really good way to set up for a kill if dash attack is refreshed."

More or less. I'm not going post specific instances to use Dash Attack as they are numerous and as I said it's pretty easy to punish most attacks with it. My biggest issue is that Pit players don't seem to realize it's good as a kill move. RAR Bair is a another underused kill move that I don't really see anyone using but that probably doesn't deserve it's own thread :laugh:

Suyon

Smash Lord
So you're telling us just to do Dash attack, because it's good. Yet, you are not going to tell us what to use it on. Alright, I am going to Dash attack a MK. Okay he takes the hit and is at 13%. He does Nair when i do that Dash attack. I die. That was a wonderful idea. There's no point telling me when to use it right? I have to figure it all on my own. Okay so MK dies at 125%. Cool. Is this because your dash attack isn't decayed or is decayed. If my dash attack doesn't kill MK at 125% and it's decayed then your information is wrong. You tell us to do more dash attack so that won't work. Of course you could just mean for punishing only. But I'm not going to risk myself getting hurt from a move that can punish me when i try to punish them and put me in a unfavorable position.

Levitas

the moon
*appears*

>.> I wouldn't tell you when to throw rock in a game of rock paper scissors. If you want a list of moves that dash attack can punish as well as how close you have to be on whiff to pull it off, I doubt anyone will bother making something like that. You could just try it in friendlies and decide then.

*disappears*

Suyon

Smash Lord
It's saying Arrow is good. Use it more. I do use Dash attack. But he doesn't give enough information. All he said is that it's good and figure it out on your own when to use it.
I already know Dash attack is good and it can kill. When to use it is up to my decision. I never said lol dash attack is stupid ;D.

Alright so it's just figure it out on your own then. Cool kthx gotcha.

Coffee™

I need it....
So you're telling us just to do Dash attack, because it's good. Yet, you are not going to tell us what to use it on. Alright, I am going to Dash attack a MK. Okay he takes the hit and is at 13%. He does Nair when i do that Dash attack. I die. .
I'd like to assume people aren't ******** and will use it in anything less than a beneficial situation. As Levitas said no one is going to realistically post every possible instance you should use Dash Attack or any other move, just be sensible. :ohwell:

Nikenick

Smash Journeyman
Dash attack is a good punishing move, I use it if my opponent isn't spacing correctly or to punish airdodges. It's indeed a good killing move if you sweetspot it.

cp2

Smash Rookie
I don't use it much, beacues it's not good at all

Under 40% it can be punished, for punishing it's good, and i also use it sometimes when im spacing aerials, to surprise

but it won't kill mk at 125%, there's something called DI

For other things, instead of DA I usually use SHnair, it's less damage, but you can try comboing into something after that

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
*Appears* Use it into fthrow combo to pop opponents in the air

Grab release metaknight into Dattack.
*disppears* like levitas, he's my idol now.

'Kicks'

Smash Cadet
yeah you cant just say use more dash attack. I mean there are situations for it to be used in. I only use dash attack at higher percents when I know I wont get punished for it. It is close in frames to attacks like falco's running Usmash, so use it to punish people like falco does with his Usmash. Yes there are tons of situations to use it in but obviously some are way better than others and more beneficial to people reading this forum

I mean another situation similar to suyon's: Forward throw a meta from zero percent then dash attack. I mean yeah we get our damage on him but from low percents the meta can nair, dair, drill, tornado or shuttle loop us.

I have the intelligence to know when to use the attack so please do not try to demean me in your response. But these forums are not for people to come tute their own horn, or throw out advice that is meaningless without context. How about actually using the forum to advance our character? How about using the forum to teach the pit community so we get more representation? What would the trouble have been by getting more details in the OP?

Coffee™

I need it....
With the grab release on MK can you hit him with the strongest part of Dattack?
Yea you can. It works on Falco, Diddy and Squirtle, maybe some others not sure though.

. Yes there are tons of situations to use it in but obviously some are way better than others and more beneficial to people reading this forum

But these forums are not for people to come tute their own horn, or throw out advice that is meaningless without context.

Nothing is preventing you from just listing them yourself if you think it's that simple.

I mean another situation similar to suyon's: Forward throw a meta from zero percent then dash attack. I mean yeah we get our damage on him but from low percents the meta can nair, dair, drill, tornado or shuttle loop us.
Then why use it if you know that would be the outcome? Fthrow to DA isn't even that good in general. Almost every character with a decent aerial can DI it upwards and hit Pit.

'Kicks'

Smash Cadet
Exactly R@vyn why would someone use it knowing that would be the outcome? Using it would just be dumb in that situation. But someone who read this and is even a little new to pit might try it. They might just keep using it not knowing that they are not using the move correctly. And because of such a repeated failure in the move discard it from their arsenal.

All of that is very hypothetical of course. But still man as an ex mod even, you should be helping the community and explain a few things with some more context. The newer pit players will look in the forums for things to work on and how to improve and take some things as granted. They wont get better by just using dash attack more. They will however get better when they know in what context to use the move.

I listed the only time I really use the dash attack. I treat it like Falco's running upsmash. Which is for anyone unware of how it is used Falco players dash in only a few steps to punish an opponent. Most recently it has been exploited by DEHF and other top falco players as a counter to MK's dsmash.

For pit's dash attack I treat it the same way. A quick ground covering attack to punish an opponent's ending lag. Only when at a high enough percent though to not be retaliated against.

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
Or they can do trail and error?

Telling someone how to do something has never benefited the person. Showing them or them trying for themselves will.

Although you can guide them with specific things they need to try.

So in short, your both right.

*throws a smoke bomb on the ground*

PenUmbra

Smash Apprentice
A Long time ago, I found dash attack as a good tool for juggling (punishing low air dodges) mixed with dashing upsmashes OOS to deal with things like Marth's Fair on shield. Pay attention to marth's fair though because you can only do that if he's improperly spacing(not at tipper range/reaching/poking well) if he IS a that range, short hop backwards OOS and shoot an arrow, it's provocative.

Kinda off topic, but Dash attack, D-tilt, dashing up smashes and U-throw are all very effective tools for characters that are weak from below and vulnerable to juggling.

As previously stated, if you find dash attack too risky, you can save it for a spontaneous KO move, although I'm fairly certain that the attack has different knockback depending on the area of connection since there are three hitboxes on the move, one or two of which don't make a solid KO I think.
Then why use it if you know that would be the outcome? Fthrow to DA isn't even that good in general. Almost every character with a decent aerial can DI it upwards and hit Pit.
This is applicable to characters with horrible fairs and shaky nairs when low to the ground like D3 and snake but for everyone else, I suggest angel's ring.

Kool Aid

Smash Journeyman
i use it to kill mks. other than that... i use it to combo heavy characters.

Coffee™

I need it....
This is applicable to characters with horrible fairs and shaky nairs when low to the ground like D3 and snake but for everyone else, I suggest angel's ring.
It's fine on D3 but Snake can Bair you for it.

PenUmbra

Smash Apprentice
It's fine on D3 but Snake can Bair you for it.
There's also the 'nade to be careful for. I didn't mean that it was good vs snake in particular, just used his nair/fair as an example. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

FailProofFrank

Smash Cadet
I use a lot more Ftilt in place of the dash attack. Does anybody know it's kill and lag ratio compared to the dash attack...? If it's better I'll have to think about switching it up a little bit.

Tikun

Smash Apprentice
The only true (or almost true) combos for dash atack are Ftrhows on low percentages and Falco, MK , Saquirtle Grab releases?

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
obv air release

also what R@yvn said is partially true you cant just expect to be spoon-fed you gotta see when is the best times for a dash attack obviously not on any character @ 0 while i partially disagree with him i did dash attack occationally considering it IS easy to punish with and it IS a decent kill move considering pits meager kill power

this move HAS won me tournament matches before

Top Bottom