• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UpSmash and UpB Out Of Shield, possible w/o tap jump

Ademar440

Smash Cadet
So sakurai said in the dojo that you can not do attacks out of shield if tap jump is off, well, guess what. I found a way:

Just shield, hold up ( you can tilt or smash the stick up, it works anyway ), then slide your thumb from X ( jump ) to A and Link will do the UpSmash OOS I maped specials to Y so I could do UpB OOS to, and by the way you can charge both attacks too, you can do this without shielding.

I tried to discuss this on this topic http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=205179 but it seems that it suffers the luigi syndrome

I don't know If I got right on this one but, you say you turned tap jump on to do attacks OOS, mmm I don't know if this is old but, you can do UpB and UpSmash OOS with tap jump off, even if sakurai says you couldn't, I use tap jump off, maped my special attacks to B and Y, that way while shielding I just hold Up on the stick and slide my thumb from X to A to do an UpSmash OOS and from X to Y to do a spin atack OOS, note that I wrote "slide my thumb" it is faster for me this way, this works even if you are not shielding just hold up and slide your thumb from X to A and you'll UpSmash every time without even moving the stick just holding it up and sliding your thumb, hope this helps someone, greetings.
I quote myself

I NEVER let go my shield and UpSmash and UpB seem just as fast as with tap jump on, and when the UpSmash ends my shield goes back up with no delay, and about my set up I know it is not necesary but I maped specials to Y to be able to do UpB faster

So

Read my previous posts on this topic, try it, I swear it works without tap jump on, and no, you won't need to drop your shield.

Just shield, hold up ( you can tilt or smash the stick up, it works anyway ), then slide your thumb from X ( jump ) to A and Link will do the UpSmash OOS I maped specials to Y so I could do UpB OOS to, and by the way you can charge both attacks too, you can do this without shielding.

Ademar440

Smash Cadet
yep, basically it is just that but it seems some people thought it isn't possible to do it in brawl, some had to do it by turning the tap jump on, and as I said this can be done without even shielding, once your stick is tilted up you don't need to move it anymore to do several UpSmashes just X-A, X-A, as many times as you want

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
I have Tap Jump off and haven't had it on a single day Brawl blessed us with custom control settings. What's this talk about UpSmash out of shield? This is the second time I hear about it....is there something special about it? If I want to do Links Up Smash out of blocking I just drop the shield and hit C-Up with my Tap jump off...

Ademar440

Smash Cadet
well, the thing is that there is another way that will allow you to do UpSmash or UpB without releasing the shield buton, think about it, you'll be able to do UpSmash faster this way, that or maybe you 'll want to use UpB instead, try it, you won't regret it.

sasook

Smash Champion
I have Tap Jump off and haven't had it on a single day Brawl blessed us with custom control settings. What's this talk about UpSmash out of shield? This is the second time I hear about it....is there something special about it? If I want to do Links Up Smash out of blocking I just drop the shield and hit C-Up with my Tap jump off...
It's faster when the upsmash is directly OOS rather than dropping and upsmashing through the buffer system.

Nice find Ademar, I recommend you add to this to the Metagame discussion.

Ademar440

Smash Cadet
Sure why not, do you mind if I ask where that is as you can see on my post count I don't post too often and I miss a lot of things

Ademar440

Smash Cadet
This is great I just hope there more stuff to discover and with this it's been proven that sakurai was wrong on this.

sakurai..............0
smashboards.......1

badreligion

Smash Rookie
Nice find, I always wanted to do up+b again out of shield but refused to turn on tap up for jump. Even better you can up smash out of it too!! Woooooooooo pretty excited.

Deva

Smash Lord
oh, I thought everyone knew this already since even with tap jump on it's still a jump canceled up-b/ u-smash out of shield. With tap jump off you just have to manually jump with y/x first and then press up b/ u-smash. Thx for reiterating it though.

Ritch

Smash Journeyman
for some reason i can't do up b OOS, i have my x button to grab i jump with Y. I can do the OOS up smash though, but im still trying to find a way to do it with up b

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Yeah little tip on this (as Ritch stated), set specials to the button you don't jump with. I use X, there for, I mapped specials to Y. And Ritch, I'm having the same problem lol

Ritch

Smash Journeyman
Well glad to see it aint just me :p but i dont think ill set my X button to specials lol, im so used to grabbing with that, maybe ill try playing with tap jump on

but is there any other way to do the up OOS without changing controls?

Ademar440

Smash Cadet
for some reason i can't do up b OOS, i have my x button to grab i jump with Y. I can do the OOS up smash though, but im still trying to find a way to do it with up b
try maping specials to Z I think you will be able to press Y-Z faster than Y-B, hope it helps

Ritch

Smash Journeyman
OMG i got it working lol, the only downfall is now I cant fully charge a DAC cancel, and thats kinda bad since i like doing a fully charge DAC with snake XD o well ill find a way over it

lootic has the mapping for you all:

tap jump:off
c-stick: smashes
Y:jump
X:grab
A: attack
B:special
L:sheild
R:specials
Z:attack

used it since day 1 and it works quite nicely, makes link able to make all his ATs with low effort, made this mapping to work with as many ATs as possible. It helps DAC, bombsliding, quickdraws(double draw, triple draw, rang quick draw etc), wavebounce, bomb smashing etc, and obviously this too.

Let us call this The Forgotten Mapping :chuckle:

Ritch

Smash Journeyman
lootic my mapping is almost exactly like that, except i have specials to L i switch the controls a few days ago and now im practicing them

lootic my mapping is almost exactly like that, except i have specials to L i switch the controls a few days ago and now im practicing them
welcome to the "forgotten way of the gamecube controller"(<--- thought that sounded better, it sounds like something from a nice japanese low budget fighting movie, its that or wavemapping)

Top Bottom