• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Updated for September - Georgia Power Rankings - Fried Chicken + Kool Aid

Laijin

Smash Hero
Mario pretty much sucks balls in this game.
I mean seriously. He really does. Mario players don't win tournaments.
Fox players do. I mean, even Young Link is better than ****ing Mario.

If Mario counters Fox, then Link counters Marth. With all those projectiles flying and it being so easy to kill Marth, Link has the advantage here.

Fox is god tier.

C......

Smash Apprentice
mario counters fox if used correctly.

i would never use fox against DP or dogysamich in a tournament

laijin 3$ mm?
my mario against ur young link?

Gerbil

Smash Champion
mario counters fox if used correctly.

i would never use fox against DP or dogysamich in a tournament

laijin 5$ mm?
my mario against ur young link?
I wish I had options lol. I only can play Fox and CF on a "tourny level" so to speak lol. So when I get matched against Dogy and DP all I can think is "****KKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!" lol.

<3 DP/Dogy, crew mates for realz

EDIT: Speaking of which. As soon as DP gets our matches up, you can see how Mario beats Fox when used properly. Neither of us screw up much, but it's obvious DP knows what he's doing lol.

Nite

Smash Champion
I wouldn't go as far and say that Mario counters Fox, but he can definitely beat Fox if used properly as well as some other characters. Chaingrabbing sucks. Lol.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
DP, dat so good, he can juggle you like a fox!

or like i so elegantly misheard at my tournament... "black juggled fox"

Last edited:

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
o_O

this conversation is seriously making me angry.

lemme run through some points:

MARIO DOES NOT COUNTER ANY OF THE TOP DOZEN OR SO CHARACTERS. PERIOD.

FOX, FALCO, AND SHEIK STILL HAVE ADVANTAGES OVERALL VERSUS MARIO.

Those are the 2 most important points. Dont delude yourselves into thinking that mario runs even with any of those. He has some pretty nice combos and edgeguards but those 3 can still beat mario probably 55-45 or 60-40.

i'd be willing to concede that mario counters pikachu chad... about the only truth in this topic so far. But really, Its not a countering thing so much as a pikachu and everyone below sucks. Mario sucks just a little less.

Marth still dominates mario, as does peach.

CF vs Mario is probably the only matchup mario has with a character above him thats even or maybe in his favor, and even then thats highly stage dependent for mario. I dont know much about it personally but green mario says that IC's are also a good match, but not great.

Young Link is still atrocious Laijin, and Mario is still better than that guy, sorry =/

IHSB: Cunning is significantly better than Iori, so that isnt so much of a proof of Mario not countering Fox so much as a proof that Cunning is alot better <_<

But the point remains that fox has the advantage.

Oh, and this needed a direct quote, for its vomit inducing status.

I wish I had options lol. I only can play Fox and CF on a "tourny level" so to speak lol. So when I get matched against Dogy and DP all I can think is "****KKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!" lol.

options?

options?!

OPTIONS?!?!?!

YOU PLAY FOX THE BEST CHARACTER IN THE GAME YOU DONT NEED OPTIONS!!! FOX IS THE DEFINITION OF A CHARACTER WITH ALL HIS BASES COVERED HE RUNS EVEN OR HAS ADVANTAGES AGAINST EEEEEEVVVVEEEERRRRRYYYYY CHARACTER!!!

nyaaaaaaah!!! Mario is not a beast vs Fox period!

god this discussion about gave me an aneurysm... I was trying to be nice about it before when I thought it was just a minor misconception but is this really the consensus of the majority of the Georgia smash scene? This is ridiculous you wonder why some people in your own state dont have respect for you guys its because of ****** stuff like this.

PS: get back to PR stuff. Which tournaments are gonna hold this most weight? I would assume SOD5 and Reflex's as that had the largest turnout. I guess after that it would be Josh's that had a pretty nice turnout I heard?

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
So, Xif. Smash bros?

Though seriously. I think you blow it slightly out of proportion. Like Samus, Mario has very few matchups that are considered favorable. That doesnt mean he sucks vs those characters, just that he has to try harder and really abuse his advantages. A good Mario can take on just about anyone, thats what matters. Mario doesnt counter Fox, he just has some very sexy tricks...but the point is that Fox has an answer to mario's chaingrab -> pain combos. Those kinds of matchups are *all* about being careful and taking the advantages that you are given. Nobody should be making johns for or against Mario. Cept mebbe Marth, but Marth is clearly a glitch that happens to have animation frames. ;)

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
After reading all this I have to support Gerbil there... Just because his Fox has trouble with some Mario's doesn't mean he sucks or should be auto winning. hell, ALL my characters suck againt Samus, cause I hate that *****, but doesn't mean I suck altogether... though recent tourney placings would have you think otherwise lol

There's still no reason to get so upset over what GA is talking about. About GA not having respect??? Well from me, and most people I know, GA has more respect than the rest of the south, and yes Florida, cause Florida guys tend to be such *******s sometimes.

I mean, there's a reason I go to GA tourneys when NC is closer sometimes. Just saying. Without GA I wouldn't have played smash. I'm pretty sick of hearing about GA not getting respect, especially since my state would probably be number 50 on a list :|

much love

XIF

Smash Master
Its not just you gerbil, its everyone, and its not just now, its multiple conversations I've heard. I understand fun and civil conversations, but if we all keep on joking around like this then what do we accomplish? Of course I love the GA community, i've made plenty of friends, I like to fool around on here too, and discuss the game in a friendly manner. But there comes a point where these conversations just build up on each others own misconceptions and stupidity that its detrimental to the community. If you're having problems with mario, and even wishing you had more options, then all that really means is that you have ALOT to learn and ALOT to practice. But the way you presented your statement it was like you were giving up on the whole thing.

I didnt like to single you out gerbil cause its a far larger problem than just what you were posting. It seems to be the entire consensus of a large portion of the significant GA community members. You complain about me blowing up but there are plenty of people out of state that would outright laugh at you and make fun of you guys. Comparing the performance of Fox's in GA as some sort of barometer of the characters potential is also something that cannot continue. By that logic Peach and Ganon should be top tier cause me and chaddd are always taking the top places. But thats dumb. Smash is a game played on a world wide scale. And world wide, Fox does the best.

My only aim in the end is to help foster the growth of the GA community. Regardless, I like being in GA, But I take the good with the bad, and I try to help minimize that. Any angry posts you see online are made to remove the illusion of there being a debate. I dont want it to sound like I'm having a mild difference of opinion. I want to make the point that this is a serious misconception. Being firm in my posts is the best way. This is some sort of show of superiority. Its not like that. I understand that I have given bad impressions about myself at tournaments by getting upset over some matches (I truly, truly try to keep myself under control, but anger issues have been a problem since childhood, stemming from an autism diagnosis when I was like 2 [no, i am not actually autistic, but anger issues are associative with that]). But I will never try to belittle anyone of you outright, if you feel so then I apologize, that is not my aim. Once again, I post for the betterment of the community, and I get angry at myself and not others. It will never be a case of "I shouldve won" it will always be a case of "I should've done better"

But these are all different topics of discussion, but I felt it needed to be mentioned.

Bottom line about mario and fox:

Fox is the option. If you feel you have problems in the matchup overall you really shouldnt, fox can do plenty. I can give you general advice and say aggressive shuffling is the last thing you want vs mario. laser camping, random shffl aerial to shine pokes and then running back, etc.

XIF

Smash Master
After reading all this I have to support Gerbil there... Just because his Fox has trouble with some Mario's doesn't mean he sucks or should be auto winning. hell, ALL my characters suck againt Samus, cause I hate that *****, but doesn't mean I suck altogether... though recent tourney placings would have you think otherwise lol

There's still no reason to get so upset over what GA is talking about. About GA not having respect??? Well from me, and most people I know, GA has more respect than the rest of the south, and yes Florida, cause Florida guys tend to be such *******s sometimes.

I mean, there's a reason I go to GA tourneys when NC is closer sometimes. Just saying. Without GA I wouldn't have played smash. I'm pretty sick of hearing about GA not getting respect, especially since my state would probably be number 50 on a list :|

much love
I'm sorry but the south in general is a very unique region of the smash scene in general (excluding Florida, cause its so far removed from everywhere else) I mean, the best players in the area are maining ganon, peach, pikachu, mewtwo, and then Fox. Every other region its the top 5 characters ONLY. (minus BUM... he's a beast o_O)

So when your view on the smash community is of the south, you arent getting the full picture. Alot of behind the back talking goes on... Midwest, NY, MD/VA areas... all of those places dont have flattering views at all on the south in general.

I dont blame people for getting mad, and even though I didnt need to get worked up over the issue, its just a dumb conversation. If you heard someone talk about how they were gonna try to grab a metal tray of freshly cooked pizza from an oven with gloves, and then they consequently wonder/get upset as to why their hands got burned, I think the sheer stupidity of it would anger you. People acting dumb is an angering thing. This is how I feel when these conversations go on in the GA threads.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
@XIF - It really did feel like you were trying to belittle me and I too apologize. Yes I'd be glad to accept advice against Marios, and as soon as DP gets the matches up, I'll link you to the thread I have in the Fox section that has my videos. Thanks for your understanding. : )

XIF

Smash Master
what I want you guys to understand is that it annoys me as a competitive smash player to see conversations like this, and rather than alienate anyone, I'd like to be able to help.

Really, I try to be a nice guy.

But I think the most important thing Georgia needs to know is that chilling out and having fun at tournaments is nothing to be ashamed of or feel guilty about... But if you want to get better at smash bros it takes hard work and dedication straight up. Casual play wont make you any better and thats that.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I dont blame people for getting mad, and even though I didnt need to get worked up over the issue, its just a dumb conversation. If you heard someone talk about how they were gonna try to grab a metal tray of freshly cooked pizza from an oven with gloves, and then they consequently wonder/get upset as to why their hands got burned, I think the sheer stupidity of it would anger you. People acting dumb is an angering thing. This is how I feel when these conversations go on in the GA threads.
I seriously LOL'd over that XD

I see your point though. I just don't really care what everyone thinks, as far as other regions I suppose. But I don't care about the game enough, really, it's just a game to me, or I keep telling myself that... Either way, I know what you mean.

Nite

Smash Champion
It's just the internet.

And for the record, I never think that Iori and I have had a Mario vs. Fox match. Lol

Rayku

Smash Lord
I agree with Xif, for the most part.

He doesn't say anything false, it's all really true.

The reason I have trouble against Dogy is because he's better than I am, 'nuff said.

XIF

Smash Master
I seriously LOL'd over that XD

I see your point though. I just don't really care what everyone thinks, as far as other regions I suppose. But I don't care about the game enough, really, it's just a game to me, or I keep telling myself that... Either way, I know what you mean.
Although there is nothing wrong with taking the game casually, its the fact that the majority of the south views the game like this as the major reason why the south is years behind the rest of the country.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer

GA needs some "Payne" in thier smash game :)

oh and sry Xif, Marty and Evan...sry I couldnt make it the other day. my phone is being gay and I had some crisis going on here the last few days(Johns)

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Major Payne is one of the greatest movies ever. You sir, are made of win for pulling that one up lol.

Top Bottom