• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Updated 5/22!] Project M + BrawlEX: A starter's guide

Szion

Smash Journeyman
does anyone know why a character wud work on wii with the same fighter/cosmetic/slot/cssslot/fighterfolder/module/fitfighter files as the dolphin variant but still freeze on dolphin??

LiveWire-93

Smash Cadet
hey Szion question, if I want just one extra character with PM + Brawlex do I just need his config files or do I need the whole rosters config files?

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
does anyone know why a character wud work on wii with the same fighter/cosmetic/slot/cssslot/fighterfolder/module/fitfighter files as the dolphin variant but still freeze on dolphin??
that almost never happens - usually it's the opposite issue in that the character works on dolphin but not on the wii

LiveWire-93

Smash Cadet
Hey Solaros, The picture I posted with all the Waluigi slots, Now their all Dr. Mario slots can you please help?

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
Hey Solaros, The picture I posted with all the Waluigi slots, Now their all Dr. Mario slots can you please help?
Hi. I'm going to offer some advice on asking for help:
  1. When posting images it's helpful to list them under a spoiler so that those with slower connections won't suffer, especially large images.

2. Help us help you. We can't read your minds. When having an issue or something changed, please describe in detail on what you did. We can't help much when all we have to go on is a vague "can you please help?"

3. List the troubleshooting you've done so far. Knowing what you've tried so far would be helpful. Have you checked the troubleshooting section of the guide?
That being said, it sounds like your CSSRoster.dat is messy.

LiveWire-93

Smash Cadet
Ok I'm sorry about all of this. I'm new to all of this cloning stuff

I just edited the CSSRoster.dat, that isn't the problem because everyone is where their supposed to be.

I don't know how to add the dev build character's config files.

There's somthing wrong with the last Character's data I added, his cosmetics are on top of Mewtwo, Roy, Waluigi, and the dev build characters do you know how I can fix that?

Szion

Smash Journeyman
First time I see something like this. Was it opposite day?
it fixed itself somehow.
but for the longest time, pit was not working.

then he became brawl pit when i copied vanilla files in.

SylveonGives

Smash Journeyman
Ok I'm sorry about all of this. I'm new to all of this cloning stuff

I just edited the CSSRoster.dat, that isn't the problem because everyone is where their supposed to be.

I don't know how to add the dev build character's config files.

There's somthing wrong with the last Character's data I added, his cosmetics are on top of Mewtwo, Roy, Waluigi, and the dev build characters do you know how I can fix that?
I have the perfect build for you! http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=211526

LiveWire-93

Smash Cadet
LOL I'm using the config files for the dev build characters from this build. But when I load it up, I get Dr. Mario in several slots.
(Roy's Waluigi's, Mewtwo's, and the dev build characters.)

EDIT: I should also mention that the codeset for that build doesn't load correctly whenever I load it.

Last edited:

Alm5252

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ALM5252
LOL I'm using the config files for the dev build characters from this build. But when I load it up, I get Dr. Mario in several slots.
(Roy's Waluigi's, Mewtwo's, and the dev build characters.)

EDIT: I should also mention that the codeset for that build doesn't load correctly whenever I load it.
If your using the files from my build for Knuckles, Lyn and Isaac, please keep in mind that my public build does not have the correct files to clone the dev characters. Knuckles in my build is over Jigglypuff, Lyn over Marth, and Isaac over Pit, so they are not compatible by switching the movesets around. You need to readd the files properly for them to work properly.

LiveWire-93

Smash Cadet
If your using the files from my build for Knuckles, Lyn and Isaac, please keep in mind that my public build does not have the correct files to clone the dev characters. Knuckles in my build is over Jigglypuff, Lyn over Marth, and Isaac over Pit, so they are not compatible by switching the movesets around. You need to readd the files properly for them to work properly.
ok thanks, right now I'm trying to make my own knuckles from the sonic module file. I'll keep you posted if I have any luck.

NintenAce

Smash Rookie
So I'm hoping that maybe someone here has a solution for me, but I replaced the Daisy in ALM5252's custom build with a Ness clone. The clone works fine but appears as another Ness on the roster, so I want to add cosmetics. The problem is, when I try to add cosmetics, I get to the CSS and everything works fine, I select the clone, who appears as themselves rather than Ness, and they have the correct bp, but when I win or quit the match by pressing button combos the game crashes. All the portraits are compressed correctly and I have Brawl Box updated to .77b, which claims not to corrupt pat0 files (but I might be misunderstanding that). What am I doing wrong?

Jigglypoof21

Smash Cadet
So I'm hoping that maybe someone here has a solution for me, but I replaced the Daisy in ALM5252's custom build with a Ness clone. The clone works fine but appears as another Ness on the roster, so I want to add cosmetics. The problem is, when I try to add cosmetics, I get to the CSS and everything works fine, I select the clone, who appears as themselves rather than Ness, and they have the correct bp, but when I win or quit the match by pressing button combos the game crashes. All the portraits are compressed correctly and I have Brawl Box updated to .77b, which claims not to corrupt pat0 files (but I might be misunderstanding that). What am I doing wrong?
Did you add the RSPs? (Located in pf/menu/common/char_bust_tex)

NintenAce

Smash Rookie
Did you add the RSPs? (Located in pf/menu/common/char_bust_tex)
Yes, I added the result screen portraits, although I've never seen them in game due to said freezing. I should also mention that I have not been replacing the already existing cosmetics for Daisy but instead have been adding new cosemetics, since daisy was fighter 5D/93, while in brawl box she was 102. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Last edited:

Jigglypoof21

Smash Cadet
Yes, I added the result screen portraits, although I've never seen them in game due to said freezing. I should also mention that I have not been replacing the already existing cosmetics for Daisy but instead have been adding new cosemetics, since daisy was fighter 5D/93, while in brawl box she was 102. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Are the RSPs compressed? They shouldn't be. Did you add the results screen stock icons too? (located in STGRESULT.pac)

NintenAce

Smash Rookie
The compression on RSPs should say that the compression is None, not LZ77 or ExtendedLZ77.
CSPs should say that the compression is LZ77 or ExtendedLZ77.
Oh, I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood what you were asking, I guess what I meant to ask was how should they be formatted, like c18, CMPR, that kind of thing, this is good advice too, but sorry for the confusion

Shren

Smash Journeyman
It's kind of like this.

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I recently downloaded brawlEx+PM (from here: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=210715) and I have a weird issue with game and watch. For some reason, he cannot rapid jab in this build. I have tried other characters with rapid jabs, like link and pit, and they are functioning just fine. Sooo is this some sort of bug?

Also, I tried opening G&Ms fighter config file, and it showed that rapid jab was enabled. I also tried replacing all G&Ms .pac with files from a clean PM build. Still no rapid jab. I am confused.

NintenAce

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I know, I'm hopelessly noobish, when it comes to regular Project M modding, I'm fairly decent, but EX is a whole new ball game.

What I should say is that I've previesly added two of the dev versions to the build by simply replacing the module and config files of the versions of the fighters (with their fighter folders and motion.pacs) from the public release of ALM5252's build with the leaked ones and they worked just fine, so I'm wondering if I could just do that with the clone I added. Sorry for all the hassle.

Last edited:

Shren

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I know, I'm hopelessly noobish, when it comes to regular Project M modding, I'm fairly decent, but EX is a whole new ball game.

What I should say is that I've previesly added two of the dev versions to the build by simply replacing the module and config files of the versions of the fighters (with their fighter folders and motion.pacs) from the public release of ALM5252's build with the leaked ones and they worked just fine, so I'm wondering if I could just do that with the clone I added. Sorry for all the hassle.
No it's fine. And as for the EX, I'm kind of new to it myself... And kind of annoyed by the process being so complicated. :p I do hope that your modding efforts pull through though and you make one amazing build that you can enjoy.

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I recently downloaded brawlEx+PM (from here: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=210715) and I have a weird issue with game and watch. For some reason, he cannot rapid jab in this build. I have tried other characters with rapid jabs, like link and pit, and they are functioning just fine. Sooo is this some sort of bug?

Also, I tried opening G&Ms fighter config file, and it showed that rapid jab was enabled. I also tried replacing all G&Ms .pac with files from a clean PM build. Still no rapid jab. I am confused.
I double checked on a clean hackless PM+BX build and can confirm that G&W's rapid jab is broken. Not sure what's broken unfortunately.

Also has there been any update on enabling 2nd team colors for added alt costumes?

MaBoyBrad

Smash Rookie
I have an interesting problem. In my personal Project M EX build I've added 7 characters in this order, Goku, FD Link, Young Link, Sephiroth, Cloud, Geno, and Deadpool. There are a couple of main issues I have encountered so far.

1st- Young Link Can't Win
Whenever a game ends with Young Link, the game just stops right after the big "GAME" text disappears. It's not frozen since my Wii still turns off by just pressing the button and there's no loud buzzing. I have checked all of his files and they all seem to be labeled correctly. His numbers are 42 for CSS, Slot, Fighter, and Cosmetic, and 125 for the MenSelchr stuff. What should I do?

2nd- Deadpool Cosmetics
They just don't work on the CSS. He pops up as another Geno slot with all of the character icon cosmetics for Geno too. However, when you put the cursor on him, his own CSPs, BPs, and emblem are all correct. ONLY THE CHARACTER ICON STUFF DOESN'T WORK. Again, I've checked the files, and I think they're all correct. Deadpools numbers are 48 for CSS, Slot, Fighter, and Cosmetic, and 129 for the MenSelchr stuff. Any advice?

Last edited:

MaBoyBrad

Smash Rookie
That thing with Pikachu happened to me all the time.

Could never get it it work, heheh.
I would say to check your CSSRoster. It seems to me that when you added OoT Ganondorf, you forgot to make the last slot in the roster Random (29).

MaBoyBrad

Smash Rookie
Might be a dumb question, but what does it look like when you scroll over the random buttons?

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
If you look on the first page of the thread, you'll find your answer.
If an icon is shown as Random and is not intended as the regular random icon, then the icon has not been mapped by BrawlEx. This could mean that BrawlEx is not running. Ensure that both the Module/bx_fighter.rel and System/Common2.pac files included in the BrawlEx package are in your patching directory.

Top Bottom