• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Updated 5/22!] Project M + BrawlEX: A starter's guide

jaystring

Smash Ace
Unfortunately a known issue... Perhaps it could get fixed with either help or an update to this thing entirely.
ok! I can confirm now that the clone vs his original character issues/crash is related to GFX (not the Exmodule as I thought in the beginning)!!

After a lot of digging and testing, I've fixed my dr mario vs mario issue and I am in the process of fixing Link vs Clone Link.

Essentially, all the information is here :
http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=66856.0

to try to quickly sum it up :

each character is associated to a "ef_file" which contains some GFX 3d models and textures for his moveset. This ef_file can only be loaded 1 time in a match.

Cloned BrawlEx character, by default, still point to their original character's ef_file (in their FitXXXX.pac file), so, In case of mario, when regular mario get loaded, he loads his "ef_mario" file but then, when clone mario get loaded, since his data tell him to load "ef_mario" but it's already loaded by the original mario, doesn't load it and use the regular mario one.

This create all sorts of weird conflit and eventually crashes because some essential files for the character to work properly don't get loaded.

The tutorial actually teach you how to assign BrawlEx character to use assit trophy's or SSE Ennemies' ef_file (apparently it's not possible to create new ef_files)

Project M team and the Waluigi PSA team knew about that because Waluigi, Mewtwo and Roy's are actually pointing toward assist trophies and SSE ennemies (roy is using "ef_saki" for exemple). That's why they are soo stable and never really crashes

Honestly, I believe this should be added to the tutorial as it's an important process to do or else the build constantly crash because of conflicting GFX.

It's a bit overwhelming at the beginning to understand it all but it's actually not that hard to do.

I noticed that Legacy XP haven't done the GFX fix as well for some of their PSA (and also have the same crashing issues as I had with mario vs BrawlEx mario (dr mario))

Wahrrelasse

Smash Rookie
I managed to get the roster to work now, but when I select random I always get Mario as character (both Player 1 and CPU). How can I fix this?

MobiusTwo

Smash Rookie
I managed to get the roster to work now, but when I select random I always get Mario as character (both Player 1 and CPU). How can I fix this?
I believe you need to open the CSSRoster with the the BrawlExConfigUtility. If the last slot on the list is an extra Mario, change it the the random icon, which is ID 29. That should solve the problem.

---

Now, I'm having some problems of my own. In a hackless Wii build, I've got an Ike clone that's supposed to be Shulk from one of ALM5252's builds, and two issues are popping up. Firstly, Shulk has Ike's icon in the CSS and all other parts of the game, despite the fact that because he's a different slot it should be showing the stuff that was put into Brawlbox.

Secondly, when playing with Shulk, the game crashes right after the announcer says "3...2...1...GO!" I've heard this could be a problem with the module, but I've triple-checked the module and have a hard time believing this could be the problem. Does anybody know what's going on?

Last edited:

genomedrunk

Smash Rookie
Yo, I added a Marth clone (Minato) and it loads properly, but the game crashes on "GO!"
As in, the character appears and they do their animation, but at the end of the countdown it crashes. I'm on Dolphin running 0.2 because there's already stuff in my build and I don't know how to upgrade.
It also happened previously with a different Marth clone (Sephiroth). Is this just a Marth thing? (I feel as if it isn't because Roy works)

PM666

Smash Cadet
Hey guys I gotta problem, I added Goku to my custom build I got all the proper files in the right place(I assume because it loaded up in dolphin) but the extra slot shows pit on my wii. He's Goku in game but still shows pit on the CSS. Any ideas as to why?

MobiusTwo

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I gotta problem, I added Goku to my custom build I got all the proper files in the right place(I assume because it loaded up in dolphin) but the extra slot shows pit on my wii. He's Goku in game but still shows pit on the CSS. Any ideas as to why?
Go into HxD and open up the CosmeticConfig. Somewhere in the first/second column (00), you should see the base character's slot number. Change that to the clone's slot number (in hex form) and that should fix the problem. If that doesn't fix it, then I can't help you further...

PM666

Smash Cadet
Go into HxD and open up the CosmeticConfig. Somewhere in the first/second column (00), you should see the base character's slot number. Change that to the clone's slot number (in hex form) and that should fix the problem. If that doesn't fix it, then I can't help you further...
I will try this and see what happens thanks

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
This is mainly for @PegasusKnt for that thing about Mr. Game and Watch's jab glitch not working properly, but I found out that the FighterConfig .dat file had an extra space in the name and changing it to "Fighter12 .dat" to Fighter12.dat" fixed the bug. Just in case you were still wondering despite it being months.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Does anyone know how I can add the Project M Legacy XP characters to my personal build? I've been trying to add them first before I add any more characters, but my build always freezes at the strap loading screen with the Project M Legacy XP characters added. I'm also not entirely sure what the Project M Legacy XP character IDs are. Any help would be appreciated!

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
hey does anyone know why I'm getting mario stock icons EVERYWHERE on the results screen? Like every column and row in each characters results box is filled with mario stock icons. Any ideas??

Cynapse

Smash Ace
hey does anyone know why I'm getting mario stock icons EVERYWHERE on the results screen? Like every column and row in each characters results box is filled with mario stock icons. Any ideas??
Seen it before. You done jacked the pat0 name most likely. Check to see the first one says stock_lambert87. Also make sure MiscData[120] has an empty texture called InfStc.000.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Cynapse Cynapse Hey that worked! Thanks a lot :)

I'm having another problem. If anyone knows about this let me know. So I've successfully added a bunch of alternate costumes to a bunch of characters, but for some reason the 2 costumes ive added for peach are freezing the game. As far as i can tell, i've done everything correctly, and the filesizes are fine as well, so does anyone have any idea what could be going wrong? I cant think of what i might have missed/messed up.

C.YI

Smash Rookie
Cynapse Cynapse Hey that worked! Thanks a lot :)

I'm having another problem. If anyone knows about this let me know. So I've successfully added a bunch of alternate costumes to a bunch of characters, but for some reason the 2 costumes ive added for peach are freezing the game. As far as i can tell, i've done everything correctly, and the filesizes are fine as well, so does anyone have any idea what could be going wrong? I cant think of what i might have missed/messed up.
Did you add FitPeachEntryXX for each of your extra costumes?

C.YI

Smash Rookie
Whats that? Like the fighter files? For example FitPeach00.pac and .pcs? or is there something else?
The file is FitPeachEntryXX.pac. Certain characters such as Peach have an entry.pac file that is tied to their moveset. For some reason, each of Peach's costumes requires a separate entry.pac. So if you added a FitPeach06.pcs costume for example, you also need to add FitPeachEntry06.pac.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
The file is FitPeachEntryXX.pac. Certain character such as Peach have an entry.pac file that is tied to her moveset. For some reason, each of Peach's costumes requires a separate entry.pac. So if you added a FitPeach06.pcs costume for example, you also need to add FitPeachEntry06.pac.
do i need to edit that entry pack any specific way?

C.YI

Smash Rookie
do i need to edit that entry pack any specific way?
You do not. Just copy and paste, and rename the file to the costume #. I sent you a link to the file in my previous post in case you don't have access to it.

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
Do Roy and Mewtwo have a slot config file? I want to give them custom victory themes, though I am not sure where their files would be since they are clone engine characters.

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Do Roy and Mewtwo have a slot config file? I want to give them custom victory themes, though I am not sure where their files would be since they are clone engine characters.
Their cosmetic configs are 2D and 2E, so I'm guessing their slot configs are 2C and 2D.

The Peacekeeper

Smash Cadet
You know I'm kinda surprised no one has come up with a program to make Brawl EX editions a little bit easier. I mean, we've got Brawl Costume, song and stage managers. I'm not calling anyone out for it, its just my own thoughts. it's just that adding characters to EX can get a little tricky.

Last edited:

Cynapse

Smash Ace
You know I'm kinda surprised no one has come up with a program to make Brawl EX editions a little bit easier. I mean, we've got Brawl Costume, song and stage managers. I'm not calling anyone out for it, its just my own thoughts. it's just that adding characters to EX can get a little tricky.
It's a 10 minute process absolute max. Making one now would be largely moot since Pyotr will be overhauling a number of things related to Config files soonish anyway.

The Peacekeeper

Smash Cadet
It's a 10 minute process absolute max. Making one now would be largely moot since Pyotr will be overhauling a number of things related to Config files soonish anyway.
Ok. Fair enough. It's just it can get tricky now and then.

Then again, it's been awhile since i've done it.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Hey guys, so I've tested my build for the first time after adding 5 characters, but I'm getting a game crash before the opening cutscene. Any ideas what i've done wrong for this to happen?

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Hey guys, so I've tested my build for the first time after adding 5 characters, but I'm getting a game crash before the opening cutscene. Any ideas what i've done wrong for this to happen?
It's related to the info.pac, I'm not entirely sure of the cause but make sure it's under 550 KB, the .pato entries exist and that the stock icons are compressed correctly.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
It's related to the info.pac, I'm not entirely sure of the cause but make sure it's under 550 KB, the .pato entries exist and that the stock icons are compressed correctly.
Hm ok, so my filesize is bigger, but I haven't even added that many characters.. just 5. Whereas lxp for exmple has added wayyy more. So how is it they'd keep the filesize lower than me? Could I have done something incorrectly?

Also what are the pato entries? I think I did everything in the tutorial, but I'm not sure what the pato entries are.

Thanks!

Strange Matter

Smash Rookie
Hm ok, so my filesize is bigger, but I haven't even added that many characters.. just 5. Whereas lxp for exmple has added wayyy more. So how is it they'd keep the filesize lower than me? Could I have done something incorrectly?

Also what are the pato entries? I think I did everything in the tutorial, but I'm not sure what the pato entries are.

Thanks!
Pat0 entries are the files found in the AnmTexPat directory. They're used to assign unique cosmetics to added characters and stages, and in Project M they're also used to control the in-battle stock icons. Since you've added 5 clones, you've probably already edited them, right?

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Pat0 entries are the files found in the AnmTexPat directory. They're used to assign unique cosmetics to added characters and stages, and in Project M they're also used to control the in-battle stock icons. Since you've added 5 clones, you've probably already edited them, right?
Oh Yaa they're the ones you need toe dit in the results stage file right? Is there anywhere else they need to be edited? I was under the impression it was only there.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Strange Matter Strange Matter Handy Man Handy Man

OK so ive fixed the freeze, turns out the info.pac was too big. I shrunk it down, and now the game loads.
But now i have another problem. The game is freezing when it tries to go to CSS. And sc_selcharacter is not too big. it's 3.62mb

Any other ideas on why the CSS would now be freezing?

Spigel

Smash Cadet
Strange Matter Strange Matter Handy Man Handy Man

OK so ive fixed the freeze, turns out the info.pac was too big. I shrunk it down, and now the game loads.
But now i have another problem. The game is freezing when it tries to go to CSS. And sc_selcharacter is not too big. it's 3.62mb

Any other ideas on why the CSS would now be freezing?
Maybe you forgot to set compression mode to ExtendedLZ77 for every new brres file you add in char_bust_tex_lz77, I had that problem too

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Maybe you forgot to set compression mode to ExtendedLZ77 for every new brres file you add in char_bust_tex_lz77, I had that problem too
No I did that (in the sc_selcharacter file). That's the only place for that right?

Spigel

Smash Cadet
No I did that (in the sc_selcharacter file). That's the only place for that right?
Yes, that's the only place

Sometimes, when I try to load pmex (using usb loader gx) the very first load of the game takes much longer than usual, that's when I know that everything will be fine from now on, but if the game loads quickly (like normal brawl does actually) the game freeze when I try to load de CSS, I don't know if that happen only to me, but maybe is your case too

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord

Sometimes, when I try to load pmex (using usb loader gx) the very first load of the game takes much longer than usual, that's when I know that everything will be fine from now on, but if the game loads quickly (like normal brawl does actually) the game freeze when I try to load de CSS, I don't know if that happen only to me, but maybe is your case too
Oh really eh? Ok i'l test it out a few times to see what happens!

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord

Hey i tried again and im still getting a freeze :(

Top Bottom