• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Updated 12/27/08] VietGeek's God Awful Toon Link Videos (2 Tourney Sets)

Ørion

Smash Ace
Hi, I'm sorry but I don't think many people here will download a zip file from a random link on smashboards.... Just see if you can borrow a video camera and record the replay on your wii and upload it to youtube.

YumClock

Smash Apprentice
I'm about to buy a Sony Handycam or some variation with a hard disk drive, I'll see what I can do.
This'll be like a month though, so if you're still desperate, you can ask me.
Or aaaaayum at Youtube, he has currently given me all of my vids.
though he's not very trusting. and we still have 10 more videos to upload.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Nah dude, I'm not saying you're bad lol...I'm just saying, it's just so hard to tell in Brawl.

Um, you did everything well I thought, just some random mistakes that everyone makes, like pulling out projectiles at close range, attacking and not DI'ing away to keep spacing...Those kinds of things..

Also, will you be at Critical Hit 3? I'll be there, and in addition to getting some Toon Link matches in, I'll play you in Marth dittos. My favorite matchup xD.

Lobos

Smash Master
Well it seems like you have all the Techniques down. Just need some work on the mind games.

stevensteve

Smash Cadet
try not to do so many smashes that leave u in vulnerable positions.

in the pikachu videoes, the pikachu does either one of two things: thunder or grab. you can easily avoid both with proper spacing. of course, the pikachu can spam thunder jolts but i don't think the pika player knew the move existed

3transfat

Smash Journeyman
Very nice. You've got the tech skill down. You just need to work on the mindgames, as said previously.

I also play someone who refuses to play better. In Melee, they refused to wavedash/L-Cancel. In Brawl, they refuse to cape/F.L.U.D.D.

I don't understand.

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
hmm...

well, I watched a few matches of 666, and he used bombs a lot, like a lot a lot, but only effectively a few times. Most of the time he threw them into areas that wouldn't affect or hinder his opponents movements and it would feel kind of wasted. Then again, it seemed to work, so I'm not gonna go and say that his strategy is bad or incorrect.

But, what I can tell you from watching young-link players in melee, and some good TL players in brawl, is that you should primarily use your bombs as a way to open up parts in your opponents defenses, or clear a path for you. TL's bombs chip away at the opponents shield along with his aerials. It's then that you can catch them with a well spaced nair or d-smash (shield poking). And also, quite clearly, his bombs are wonderful for pressuring. A few times I have seen TLs SH bomb pull and arrow, jump cancel a bomb throw, have it bounce off the opponents shield and then catch it/toss it again as they jump over the opponent. They are wonderful for mindgames and saving you from a large hit at the last second (like you can air-dodge and buffer a z-drop and have the bomb hit you/your opponent as they try to hit you with a strong aerial).

Spamming with bombs is alright, but it's not the most affective thing. I believe that you should just try and work bombs into your gameplay at those moments where you have pauses. Say for instance you bair your opponents shield and they roll back or spot dodge, if you can't punish it, then double jump and pull a bomb. You can sh bomb pull and arrow, or you can fair/nair/bair, double jump bomb pull and toss it downward or z-drop as you retreat.

The bombs are really quite good for TL. I just think that they are more situational, as opposed to TL's arrows which he can spam from a distance.

EDIT: Well, I went and re-watched the 666 vids. I wanna take back what I said about his bomb use not being too effective. He does use them intelligently at times, but it seems more like his opponent not knowing how to respond. Like instead of air-dodging and catching them, they'll shield and just wait there, or they'll get hit by it.

Santi

Smash Lord
I was taken out of my last tourney I entered from a ROB so I dont have much to contribute on the Matchup.

But I do like watching these and learning how you handle the dumb robot.
Your Toon is much faster than it was in the previous videos.
Just keep practicing and work on your spacing a little more.

And your still pulling out stuff to close to your opponent
like at
:12
and
:24- you dint get punished here. lucky dog.

Also be careful with using Dair on stage.
You didn't spam that which is good.

I aslo liked how you used the UpB on the stage.
Just aslo be careful with that. Especially I think it was on your first stock... you were high percent and used the Up B and missed. You could of been killed there.

And I applaud you for using tilts.
Good Job.
Not alot of Toons use many tilts.
I know I could do them more in my gameplay.

That uptilt is pretty fast and you killed Rob with it on his last two stocks. very nice.

Santi

Smash Lord
Yeah I need to watch out for pulling stuff out so close to an opponent.
The Up-B was a joke that that ROB would always roll into it and get hit. It happened a lot prior to me recording so I did another one for fun. I'll try to be more serious in friendlies though.

Thanks for the critique. I think not trying to use projectiles too close will be my main thing to improve on =)
Def.
That will save you from alot of damage that your getting.
Just keep thinking mid range

thats where TL will own hard.

QUIVO

Smash Master
Learn the character more. There were better things you could've done. For example you would just use uair when he was behind you, instead you could've done a bair. Bair when they airdodge since you can get two of them off and have a better chance of hitting them. Also, mindgames could always need work.

Btw I only watched two of the ROB matches and the ROB seemed a bit inexperienced. Good **** though

kkkoala

Smash Cadet
more arrows
mix up ur air game. u were trying to get off uair too much on marth, 1 specific time i was like "whyd u uair a bair would of him um :(" in my mind...

nice zair+bomb combos though
and i too applaud ur on stage upB's

i didnt rly watch the old ones, i mean u were all like im just warming tl up and etc, but u should make some more vids of diff match ups imo

QUIVO

Smash Master
I understand you don't main him and the guy was just picking him up. It's all good. Just telling you to learn a bit more about TL. You'll just naturally pick up things that are good and bad.

l SOUP l

Smash Apprentice
Holy **** VG you got like 9000 times better :o. Awesome job. Your zair was so hawt I had an
orgasm<--- true fact

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I challenge you to a Marth ditto Viet.
D=
And maybe a TL one.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
You're on the most western side of the US, and I'm on the most eastern one.

Bad things will happen, lol.
Then I vote we meet up in Texas. =)
lol
I call black Marth. >_>

Lobos

Smash Master
Your TL really shows improvement. I like how more TL mains are using the zair into their game now *tear*

drudge

Smash Rookie
I haven't tried it yet so this might be a dumb question but, is there a special tech involved with the bomb pull and zair? i was under the impression that the zair would cause the bomb to drop in mid air.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I haven't tried it yet so this might be a dumb question but, is there a special tech involved with the bomb pull and zair? i was under the impression that the zair would cause the bomb to drop in mid air.
You have to airdodge before you use the Hookshot.

Top Bottom