• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Updated 12/27/08] VietGeek's God Awful Toon Link Videos (2 Tourney Sets)

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I cleaned this thing up, nothing much that you guys haven't seen.

It's like an archive where you can see my Toon Link exponentially become better throughout the year months though. A must see for anyone who wants to laugh at VietG. =)

TriforceCore

Smash Apprentice
Vietgeek i must applaud your mastery over shzair, i swear you got that thing down beautifully but aside from that your not that different from the dedicated tlink player. Meaning nothing stands out (except for the shz).

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Vietgeek i must applaud your mastery over shzair, i swear you got that thing down beautifully but aside from that your not that different from the dedicated tlink player. Meaning nothing stands out (except for the shz).
I personally have the belief that effectiveness outshines creativity, unless creativity aids the increase of effectiveness.

It's something Neo (a pro Marth player in Brawl/Melee, as well as Roy in Melee) takes to heart too. I personally think it's a very good thing to take into consideration.

But...that's a rant for another day. So I'll take your comment as a good compliment. ^^

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Sasuke needs a video thread against people who dont suck. ._.

Who said that? O_O
lol jk. T_T

In all seriousness, Viet your play is seriously amazing. I can tell you've been practicing a few things (that I've been trying lately too >_>). I like your horizontal game a lot more then your vertical game though. But keep up the good work.

Viet for prez.

Rawrness

Smash Journeyman
Wow Viet, how do you aim that zair. I find myself facing the wrong way every time.

I second Viet for prez.

TriforceCore

Smash Apprentice
I didnt say its about being flashy, Im just saying that your on par with what a good tlink should be, people in here seem to be extremely impressed with what a average tlink should be. Example, I believe your zair is good because you consistantly use it where as some tlinks just randomly go in and out of thought patterns that say "oh yeah he has this tech, let me use it now" you keep it constant which is why I like your usage of it. However in reality it isn't as impressive as people make it seem. I mean seriously its just lightly tapping jump followed by and airdodge(which during the airdodge you press a or z) then it auto cancels, thus being able to do anything out of it. Just so you know im not heckling you or anything. But we tlinks need to see past the plain and improve our game.

In Short(sh+airdodge+a+smash)

Ginger_Warrior

Smash Apprentice
I just watched your matches against ROB (one in May, one in August) and I have to say I can't notice any real regression in your game from May to August. The only reason the matches were closer is because Lv. 99's improved with his ROB. On the other hand, you've perfected the art of Zair, SH + nair and bombs. You kept in the air, which is TL's natural home

The only criticism I have is you were slightly too aggressive. Once or twice, I just got the feeling you were launching Zairs in the hope you were going to hit, rather than actually taking account of where ROB actually was. Perhaps retreating and throwing a few projectiles in those situations would be better.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I didnt say its about being flashy.

However in reality it isn't as impressive as people make it seem. I mean seriously its just lightly tapping jump followed by and airdodge(which during the airdodge you press a or z) then it auto cancels,

thus being able to do anything out of it. Just so you know im not heckling you or anything. But we tlinks need to see past the plain and improve our game.

In Short(sh+airdodge+a+smash)
I wasn't talking about flashiness. I was saying that if doing the plain is the best way, then if you play to win, playing 'unique' doesn't matter if being unique means being worst. If your unique play becomes superior, than it will eventually become the norm, thus the 'plain.' This cycle continues until the metagame cannot get any better for the most part (like now, Brawl has halted from new findings, now most people are simply refining themselves, they've found out the best way to use character X already).

We know how Toon Link works now. We simply need to apply those tools to win. Everyone's metagame is basically becoming stagnant now. Every character has found their bread-and-butter moves, and how to use their other moves. We are no different. There's really no way to change Toon Link's metagame for the better unless some AT comes along that can be used consistently with little risk.

So...in short, you want us all to use SHAD as an approach to jab -> smash? I really don't think that would work...well. Explain yourself please.

And Ginger, yeah, it may have been my Marth showing again. Spacing with Zair by DI-ing back and forth is good, but sometimes I either go too deep toward ROB, or I'm caught in the moment instead of needing to reset the situation if I don't have the advantage. I'm not exactly the smartest player. ;(

TLMarth

Smash Ace
You can use arrows after both a short hop bomb pull and throw.
Arrowss can be used after every aerial! (Though you knew that)
Did you read the YOUNG Link bombs guide?
Bombs are useful as the only projectiles that you can throw up, I suppose. I don't pull them out next to the enemy lol. Or at least I try not to.

Usually bombs are used in a one shot approaching combo, and then you're uncomfortably close to the opponent so either you run away for more bombing or just stay close combat. Depends on the matchup.

EDIT: I wish I could make vids.

Ginger_Warrior

Smash Apprentice
If it helps (because rather stupidly, I seem to chase everything that moves... and it costs me badly when I'm facing a DK >_>), I've found always keeping your eyes on the opponent is a good coping strategy, instead of looking at yourself. You always have an impression of where you are because you're controlling TL and you can see him in the corner of your eye. Plus you don't really need to look at TL's position to SHDA or draw a bomb.

It seems to help me space better and launch attacks more accurately while approaching. Also, I know exactly what's coming, so I can react quicker.

TriforceCore - I really don't understand that combo at all. Surely a SH -> Zair -> Smash would be as effective, plus you can space better because Zair's reach > A?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I don't keep my eye on Toon Link at all. I actually suicided once because I buffered something and I was offstage. That was a long time ago though.

Still though, sometimes I wish I could get myself to look at my character at least for a second because sometimes I focus too much on the opponent. xD

You can use arrows after both a short hop bomb pull and throw.
Arrowss can be used after every aerial! (Though you knew that)
Did you read the YOUNG Link bombs guide?
Bombs are useful as the only projectiles that you can throw up, I suppose. I don't pull them out next to the enemy lol. Or at least I try not to.

Usually bombs are used in a one shot approaching combo, and then you're uncomfortably close to the opponent so either you run away for more bombing or just stay close combat. Depends on the matchup.

EDIT: I wish I could make vids.
I did like everything you said at least once. Was this toward me? It came like, out of the blue imo.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
That was a long time ago. Like...when I thought spamming was bad or something.

It isn't. This. Is. Brawl.Sparta
<_<
>_>
<_<.
Yeah, thats about 10 characters.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
No...it was Dsmash.

Yeah...I know. It was in May so whatever. =P
Ohhhh. I see what your saying.
I thought it was something else.

but okay. ^_^
I hate that so. Like when your trying to do Dsmash at the edge? I hate that. >_>

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Bump, and stuff.

Yeah, I am experimenting with attacks and stuff. I lol'd at dash attack being a semi-spike.

Rawrness

Smash Journeyman
Nice bomb usage yo at 2:00.
The second dair at the beginning got punished for 34% so be careful.

._. Your TL is like Jesus if Santi's is God.

KingK_tink

Smash Apprentice
Nice bomb usage yo at 2:00.
The second dair at the beginning got punished for 34% so be careful.

._. Your TL is like Jesus if Santi's is God.
hmmm my tink almost beat viets sooo if santi's is god and his is like jesus then am i jesus'
son?!?!?!?!? WHAT!!!

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Added Marth moneymatch.

Umm, KingK, I don't remrmber you actually winning any of our matches though. <_<

Just throwing that out there.

Also Santi, Quivo, and Lobos I can say are the best TLs out there. Jash and Chip as well. I can't say I'm even anywhere near their level.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
I have left various comments on your iFail videos.
jamduke is my username if you forgot
stuff like grabbing Marth as he shields returning boomerang.
Don't get hit!

Also it's REALLY NOT GOOD TO BE SO NEGATIVE.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Ur good vietg but u should learn to control ur bombs a little better. U exploded with them far too many times. Also do more arrow cancels, use MORE zair lol. But other than that keep up the good work with TL. :) And negativity is for losers!!

Santi

Smash Lord
Thannkkkk youuuu
=)
These videos are perfect VietGeek.

I need to see this marth matchup and our style is similiar imo, so these videos will help alottttt.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I saw a lil Fair>Nair at the edge. ;P
Maybe more SH Nair out of shield? ^_^;

Read my PM. >_>

TLMarth

Smash Ace
Oh yeah you did the VG combo when you were both shielding.

TLMS: don't say negativity is for losers because you know what he'll say...
'I'm a loser'

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'm a loser. xD

I need better mindgames and stuff. <_<

Oh yeah, I added the only video I have of the VietG vs KingK ditto.

:shyguy:

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Bump, I added two tournament sets.

And before anyone comments, yes, I do spam Usmash at times. Luckily it only diminishes if I hit them (not their shield)...which by then it wouldn't be a problem lol.

Santi

Smash Lord
I love seeing TL's **** MK's
=)
Upsmash doesn't diminish even if it hits the shield???
I did not know that.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Ehhh Im pretty sure it diminishes if it hits shields...>_>.

EDIT: tested it in vs mode against myself. I hit DDD's shield and i used it again it still did 15 damage.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Your 1st link is messed up, and good matches.
Fixed.

That mk sucked lol. But good job. Stop spamming usmash :p.
He doesn't even play MK, he's all Diddy. And nevarrrrr...well, until I fight a Snake. =P

Upsmash doesn't diminish even if it hits the shield???
I did not know that.
Yeah, moves don't diminish if they are shielded. Good thing too, since TL's kill moves aren't safe on block either so we're pretty bad off already.

TLM - It doesn't. Someone made a thread about move decay calculation, shield doesn't seem to cause decay.

Besides, the shield is already overpowered in this game. <_<

Bomber7

Smash Hero
no flame or anyhitn but i dont see why you bother putting up vids of your self if you go around telling the world how bad you are at the brawl. >.> still a good TL I admire your skill.

Is it a joke that you just suck at the game, like on the LA boards we got a worst in state?

hope to WIFI you soon or irl.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
It's pretty much a joke...except when I'm playing as Marth.

Then it's serious.

Top Bottom