• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Updated 06/09/16] 19XXTE 0.11, ROM Hack (Working on Console!)

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
I think it's about time I start mapping out the ROM. I'm thinking that we need a wiki / database, that has information on the offsets for various data. I'd like feedback if anyone has decided on a wiki to collectively use

I'm going to also try to look into editing stage background and try to find out where the animation data is.

That sounds like you're using a bad graphics plugin. You should try using GLideN64 or Glide64 if you have a good computer. Otherwise you're probably best off using Rice Video, unless you're using Project64 2.x in which case Jabo 1.7.0.56 is the best overall (Rice Video is faster but has worse graphics).
Wikis probably isn't necessary. Melee community has everything in a Google doc. Super easy and accessible.

Also stage backgrounds are like 16 textures which is why some plugins have those black lines. Dreamland and all the beta versions use one file.

Last edited:

oceanz11

Smash Rookie
It's easy to critique decisions when you're not the one who actually has to make those decisions or put in the work to get what you want. I'd rather see extra character clones. This would attract people from the other smash games and would be great for local tournaments. What's more exciting to a 64 pleb, japan link or a new character? They could make a Cloud clone out of Link, with Kirby's up-B. Seems like a better fit than Marth.

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
There's a thread that does exactly that at the top of this forum. It's not a huge issue but I wouldn't want to further it.
You're not talking about the tier lists thread, are you? Because the people in there more or less agreeing that the game is pretty well balanced are the kind of people who wouldn't allow these characters to be tournament legal because "Samus/Luigi/Link/Ness don't need it".

Straw man argument. You also further my point by calling Samus bad and implying you'd need a better Samus to win a national
Irrelevant anyway because JSamus, JLuigi, JLink, and JNess would never be legalized at a national after the years of play being standardized with the NTSC-U version and versions of characters.

I wouldn't even hold my breath for BF or FD to ever be legal...

The issue is about letting 19XXTE locals decide on what they want; just like the same ones that would actually consider legalizing BF and FD, instead of rejecting them outright.

It's easy to critique decisions when you're not the one who actually has to make those decisions or put in the work to get what you want. I'd rather see extra character clones. This would attract people from the other smash games and would be great for local tournaments. What's more exciting to a 64 pleb, japan link or a new character? They could make a Cloud clone out of Link, with Kirby's up-B. Seems like a better fit than Marth.
Sure, fine; if you want to make a Project M* for Smash 64. But if this project is at all inspired by 20XX, then it should be obvious how this new route is inconsistent with that. [as well as inconsistent with previously given reasons to both (1) not want to add more stages and (2) not want to add J versions of characters]

*not in the Melee sense, but in the "mod to expand the game" sense. It's probably more comparable to Brawl+ in that respect, but Project M is a more recognizable name.

Last edited:

RPGgrenade

Smash Apprentice
Well... maybe because those games naturally featured those stages already available to play?
And even today people in Melee, PM and Smash 4, still play in Dream Land. Is not like they complain that much about the wind, is not even game breaking like the characters themselves. Sure it is annoying. But as a fixed element you can use it to your advantage, just like Randall in Yoshi's Story and those Brawl gimmicky counterpick stages. We just adopted them. And we love them.
I get that much, but I don't see how they're "not competitive", that's my real issue. Personally I dislike the wind in Dreamland because it seems to be completely random in both time and direction, unlike Randall who always goes the same way, counter clockwise... over... and over... and over... at a fixed speed.
But that's not really important, it's just sad that there's like only 1 viable stage left at all in 64, at least in all the tournaments I've seen lately.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
*not in the Melee sense, but in the "mod to expand the game" sense. It's probably more comparable to Brawl+ in that respect, but Project M is a more recognizable name.
This is literally the goal. Nothing about the original game will ever change. Nothing intrusive; only expansions.

You're not talking about the tier lists thread, are you? Because the people in there more or less agreeing that the game is pretty well balanced are the kind of people who wouldn't allow these characters to be tournament legal because "Samus/Luigi/Link/Ness don't need it".
There are arguments that they would otherwise that thread wouldn't have happened. Shears can't give a counter argument with granghalam saying he disagreed.

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
But it's now failing to truly follow in the footsteps of 20XX, and is now becoming an expansive project where you alone pick and choose which additions you accept and which ones you ignore.

Oh, and if you're trying to avoid starting legality contention, then adding Falco, Marth, etc. are going to result in way more legality contention because, unlike JCharacters, people who end up maining Falco or Marth won't be able to compete at all with their main without legality, and will therefore have to raise it as an issue in order to do so.

After all, the switch from JFox to Fox is way larger than the switch from Falco to Fox [and same for JLink to Link vs. Marth to Link] should the nationals not have legality of them. And just like ocean said, the attention that a Falco or Marth mod would bring to the game would necessarily give the fuel to start that fire.

Last edited:

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Oh, and if you're trying to avoid starting legality contention, then adding Falco, Marth, etc. are going to result in way more legality contention because, unlike JCharacters, people who end up maining Falco or Marth won't be able to compete at all with their main without legality, and will therefore have to raise it as an issue in order to do so.
I disagree. They're a fully customized character, far from ever being in the original game. They would be outright banned without there even needing to be a discussion. Meanwhile, with slight modifications done to the characters (like J versions), there is a little bit more argument to be had here. They're still the original characters with only slight modifications. People will begin to argue balance and whatnot for legality purposes.

Having just raw custom characters wouldn't even start a debate, the entire community would shut it down quick.

After all, the switch from JFox to Fox is way larger than the switch from Falco to Fox [and same for JLink to Link vs. Marth to Link] should the nationals not have legality of them.
...What?

Last edited:

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
I disagree. They're a fully customized character, far from ever being in the original game. They would be outright banned without there even needing to be a discussion. Meanwhile, with slight modifications done to the characters (like J versions), there is a little bit more argument to be had here. They're still the original characters with only slight modifications. People will begin to argue balance and whatnot for legality purposes.

Having just raw custom characters wouldn't even start a debate, the entire community would shut it down quick.
The point is that, there's little point to have Falco or Marth be a part of the game if the community isn't even going to consider legalizing them. Even if your local has them legal, your putting yourself at a disadvantage by playing a character that's much different from their base character.

On the other hand, if someone wanted to main the J version of a character, should their local have it legal, then even if the nationals end up ignoring it, playing instead with the U version of your main isn't going to be as bad of an adjustment as having to switch off of your main completely would have been.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
The point is that, there's little point to have Falco or Marth be a part of the game if the community isn't even going to consider legalizing them.
They are there for fun. 64 players have a lot of fun and aren't always SUPER SERIOUS. Look at YOLO tournaments for example.

Even if your local has them legal, your putting yourself at a disadvantage by playing a character that's much different from their base character.
And with that logic, we should only play our mains because not doing so is putting us at a disadvantage. People play more than their main character for friendlies. I don't think anybody is going to get so used to one of these alternative characters to where they forget how to play their main, or put them at a disadvantage.

On the other hand, if someone wanted to main the J version of a character, should their local have it legal, then even if the nationals end up ignoring it, playing instead with the U version of your main isn't going to be as bad of an adjustment as having to switch off of your main completely would have been.
Regardless, an adjustment is an adjustment. I don't doubt that most people would prefer fully custom characters over (J) version characters, especially since anybody who can access 19XX can easily access the Japanese version of SSB64 if they have even the slightest idea of what they are doing.

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
But it's now failing to truly follow in the footsteps of 20XX, and is now becoming an expansive project where you alone pick and choose which additions you accept and which ones you ignore.

After all, the switch from JFox to Fox is way larger than the switch from Falco to Fox [and same for JLink to Link vs. Marth to Link] should the nationals not have legality of them. And just like ocean said, the attention that a Falco or Marth mod would bring to the game would necessarily give the fuel to start that fire.
I could say I understand the logic behind Dan Salvato not including custom controls but I'm not following in his foot steps. 19XXTE is a name picked so people will associate the project with a mod that's easy to find. I'm not limiting what happens with this project because Achilles didn't do it first. When custom characters happen (someone already created a legitimate model viewer), I'm sure they'll come to 20XXHP the same way custom stages have.

Yes I alone get to choose what comes in. To be honest, I've only rejected two features that you wanted, Japanese characters (which like I said earlier, I literally can't make happen anyway because of yoshi's shield and kirby's swallow and probably other's I haven't even realized yet) and Disabling Stage Hazards (a feature that I'm actually bringing to 1.0). But yeah you solely dictating what comes in is probably better since you have extensive ROM hacking knowledge and have read through as many discussions as you can...oh wait that's me.

Before you attempt to argue about the other features I've rejected, I'll go through why they've been left out and why they'll probably come with 1.0

1. Playing as Metal Mario/Giant DK/Masterhand. No visual cue was possible at the time. Didn't want to use button modifiers as they're not intuitive and frankly, prone to accidental presses (think accidently activating giant spacies blaster in 20XX 2.0).

2. Pages on the SSS. Visual cue wasn't there. I can do it now with DMA (by swapping textures). If you go to the first page of the thread, you can read the overly complicated ASM for stage loading I used to work with since I couldn't branch to RAM. Now, I can so it's possible to load alternate stage tables with simple if, then statements.

3. Neutral spanwns, shield colors, whatever isn't in 0.11. Time. I don't have infinite amounts of it. But luckily, as time passed, those features will come.

Now, I'm done being petty.

tehz

Smash Apprentice

Madao

I think some of you guys are trying too hard to convince Jorgasms to implement certain things. Being a programmer / modder myself, I know sometimes requests are way too hard, if even possible. Other times, it's a matter of pure choice. At the end of the day, it's his project and if he's not easily convinced into adding a certain feature / item, then I think it's best to leave it at that. I strongly believe that one size does not fit all. Others are free to make their own mods if they want to. If I'm still in the mood for modding in the near future, I'll certainly make my own because I'd love custom / modified characters. I also know that there's no way my modifcations would ever be universally agreed upon (or even close), but at the end of the day, I think what matters is how much fun I have, not necessarily how popular it becomes. Despite what I said, I think some of the ideas brought up here are still good :) .

Cyjorg Cyjorg , good idea about using Google Doc. tehz tehz thanks for the link, also what are .cod files and how do I generate them? Maybe next week I'll begin going through all the data I've collected and start contributing. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress we all achieve.

GamingMaster

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AbnormalAdept
Madao Madao thats 1 reason i stopped talking about disabvling hazards. it would piss him off by constantly begging him to add it

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434
Madao Madao thats 1 reason i stopped talking about disabvling hazards. it would piss him off by constantly begging him to add it
Or just add a toggle for it. You could just toggle stuff so the final player could decide whether to activate it or not.

GamingMaster

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AbnormalAdept
i did had that thought but i refused to tell him otherwise i would be frowned upon like canuet

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434
canut? Yes but he just keeps annoying everyone who posts here. Let's just give up our hopes of having our requests accepted and wait what will he release of 1.0. At least he keeps surprising us with each new release.

kdubbinn

Smash Rookie
the new version doesnt work on the wii emulators anymore? :/

can someone upload 0.9 or the last working version that worked with hacked wii's?

Last edited by a moderator:

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
Or just add a toggle for it. You could just toggle stuff so the final player could decide whether to activate it or not.
The original problem was that Jorg was afraid that adding such a toggle would sow discord among the community in trying to resolve whether such toggles should be used. [and, hell, we could have ended up with some interesting solutions such as: the player counterpicking stage gets the choice of toggle]

And, yet, despite standing on the principle of not adding changes that could stir issues, they're now adding custom characters which--despite their confidence that it won't cause any problems--I don't see not becoming an issue at some point.

EDIT: Oh, and how can I forget expanding the stagelist. That necessarily resulted in conversations about what stages should be legal, what should be counterpick only, what should be banned, etc. and yet the 19XX communities were able to resolve this issue without falling apart. How novel...

Last edited:

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434
the new version doesnt work on the wii emulators anymore? :/
Last time I tested 0.10 did work with some minor flaws in Not64. 0.11 should work as well.
can someone upload 0.9 or the last working version that worked with hacked wii's?
0.9G was the last version working on Wii emulators. 0.5X (or earlier?) was the last version that did ever work on VC Wad.
The original problem was that Jorg was afraid that adding such a toggle would sow discord among the community in trying to resolve whether such toggles should be used. [and, hell, we could have ended up with some interesting solutions such as: the player counterpicking stage gets the choice of toggle]
Didn't happen with 20XX. So it is highly unlikely (or impossible) that this will ever happen with the 64 community since the people here are as mature and aware of these hacks to fall on such things. The community won't argue with such things where as most have already stablished that the General Universal Ruleset will only allow 19XXTE for the timer and nothing more than that.

And, yet, despite standing on the principle of not adding changes that could stir issues, they're now adding custom characters which--despite their confidence that it won't cause any problems--I don't see not becoming an issue at some point.
Well, at least JCharacters were part of the ORIGINAL version of the game. Modifying 5 or 12 characters to make them clones or alt characters or wathever shouldn't raise any issue at all. If you see closely 20XX has PAL characters and alternate costumes such as Captain Falcon being Batman and many other characters featuring copyrighted content so I see where he is going.

EDIT: Oh, and how can I forget expanding the stagelist. That necessarily resulted in conversations about what stages should be legal, what should be counterpick only, what should be banned, etc. and yet the 19XX communities were able to resolve this issue without falling apart. How novel...
This, in fact isn't any issue at all. Vanilla Stage List will always have priority over the expanded one in big tournaments. But having both stages would be a good thing since there is no reason for us for not playing on Polygon Battlefield or Metal Cavern (aside from them tecnically being illegal during tournaments).

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE

It's like you don't read the thread. I already said both of these things are coming already. You should probably just stop replying to this thread

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
Didn't happen with 20XX. So it is highly unlikely (or impossible) that this will ever happen with the 64 community since the people here are as mature and aware of these hacks to fall on such things. The community won't argue with such things where as most have already stablished that the General Universal Ruleset will only allow 19XXTE for the timer and nothing more than that.

Well, at least JCharacters were part of the ORIGINAL version of the game. Modifying 5 or 12 characters to make them clones or alt characters or wathever shouldn't raise any issue at all. If you see closely 20XX has PAL characters and alternate costumes such as Captain Falcon being Batman and many other characters featuring copyrighted content so I see where he is going.

This, in fact isn't any issue at all. Vanilla Stage List will always have priority over the expanded one in big tournaments. But having both stages would be a good thing since there is no reason for us for not playing on Polygon Battlefield or Metal Cavern (aside from them tecnically being illegal during tournaments).
I agree on ALL counts, however, I was mostly talking about locals such as MDVA--I now believe that they moved away from custom stages altogether, which is an example of how this issue doesn't tear communities apart. [which is the only legitimate fear someone could have]

Also, 20XX has PAL, but 20XXTE does not. I imagine that inspiration* is being taken from 20XXTE, not 20XX.

*Or, I could say: principles are being taken from 20XXTE, or else my words might get misunderstood here.

It's like you don't read the thread. I already said both of these things are coming already. You should probably just stop replying to this thread
I took:

No. That would make the NTSC versions of the characters obsolete
To indicate that you are against my suggestion on principle, as in you wouldn't do this even if it was logistically possible to do so.

If that position changed, I missed it changing. Sorry.

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
To indicate that you are against my suggestion on principle, as in you wouldn't do this even if it was logistically possible to do so.

If that position changed, I missed it changing. Sorry.
A few things have been discussed and surprisingly, my opinion is pretty dynamic based on what I read and how things are introduced to me. Here's my current opinion.

It's not realistic to make them like NTSCJ or I'd consider it. One of you mentioned that you'd love to just play with a buffed version of the character even if it wasn't exact. I don't want to be involved with character patching of the original characters regardless if the patched version will be banned immediately. I 1. don't have the knowledge to make them that way and 2. the know how to do it well. It's just not my place to do so. Clones, as new characters, are unexplored ground so we have infinite freedom to just screw around and add something fun to the game.

I don't see my opinion straying far from this to be honest with you.

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
I understand.

The last thing I will say, though, with respect to #1: if you were to figure out how to do so [which only involves remaking their grabs and specials, no? The pieces of the characters that remain from J (tilts, aerials, gravity, falling speed, air acceleration, etc.) are already a part of the base polygon characters] then this would be a big jump forward in Smash character modification, no? Even if you decide not to utilize it, the information would be understood and available for future Smash modders.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
I understand.

The last thing I will say, though, with respect to #1: if you were to figure out how to do so [which only involves remaking their grabs and specials, no? The pieces of the characters that remain from J (tilts, aerials, gravity, falling speed, air acceleration, etc.) are already a part of the base polygon characters] then this would be a big jump forward in Smash character modification, no? Even if you decide not to utilize it, the information would be understood and available for future Smash modders.
Ding ding ding

Dizzle

Smash Cadet
Cyjorg Cyjorg We came up with 2 ideas for 19XX at Apex, but I only remember one. Hopefully The Star King The Star King remembers the other one

Apparently it's possible to change starting spawn positions - how about a neutral spawn for teams? We were thinking each team has one player start on the side platforms of DL (p2 and p4 spawns) and their teammates spawn directly below them on the bottom part of DL (below side plats). Thoughts?

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Cyjorg Cyjorg We came up with 2 ideas for 19XX at Apex, but I only remember one. Hopefully The Star King The Star King remembers the other one

Apparently it's possible to change starting spawn positions - how about a neutral spawn for teams? We were thinking each team has one player start on the side platforms of DL (p2 and p4 spawns) and their teammates spawn directly below them on the bottom part of DL (below side plats). Thoughts?
I wrote that code for Melee lol. I'm looking into it for the next release

nintendo1889

Smash Rookie
This hack freezes on the wii emulator not64, the latest build (20160420). I'm not sure is there's a way to enable a debug log though. If there is, please let me know how.

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434
This hack freezes on the wii emulator not64, the latest build (20160420).
Do you know if there is a way to disable frameskip or otherwise achieve a stable framerate in Not64? VC has little to no noticeable frame skips, but geez, in Not64 the game suddenly goes up and down with the frame rate. BTW, 0.10 partially works and 0.9G works perfectly in Not64. I'd stick to the 0.9G version if there could be a way to get around the framerate issue.
I'm not sure is there's a way to enable a debug log though. If there is, please let me know how.
You should ask that to Extrems himself or any Wii64/Not64 dev in the GC Forever thread or in Extrems github page.

Last edited:

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Every one just stop please, since im still young and I have friends who are getting into 64, they dont give a flying sh*t about crappy (J) characters, like wtf? Stop bugging jorg. and let him decide, he honestly has the best mindset about this entire project. Go ahead and ask some one in the 64 scene and see if they want: New characters to hype up the game/ make it much more fun, ORRR (J) to help low tiers....
are you kidding me? I main luigi and even I dont want any buffs, what I do want is some new badass characters that I've dreamt about my whole life.
(This part is important)
Another thing to think about is, the 64 players tend to not move/ play another smash game in the series as the physics and characters are not the same at all and puts the newer games off for us. So we are playing the same game for 18 years and lost all hope for sakurai to make another smash game like 64. But here comes jorgasm, keeping the game the same, but adding new things to it, like stages and characters, what 64 players wanted for years and years. This is (and i cant stress this enough) a dream come true. I would be extremely angry if the opportunity of new characters go to waste to implement (J) characters instead.
if you want (J) characters go play (J) smash. And dont you dare say "If you want new characters go play the new smash game" because the whole reason we arent playing the new smash games is because its not like 64 at all.

Big thanks to Cyjorg Cyjorg ! This progress is so unreal!! I love it!!

AlexIsStarving

Smash Apprentice
Every one just stop please, since im still young and I have friends who are getting into 64, they dont give a flying sh*t about crappy (J) characters, like wtf? Stop bugging jorg. and let him decide, he honestly has the best mindset about this entire project. Go ahead and ask some one in the 64 scene and see if they want: New characters to hype up the game/ make it much more fun, ORRR (J) to help low tiers....
are you kidding me? I main luigi and even I dont want any buffs, what I do want is some new badass characters that I've dreamt about my whole life.
(This part is important)
Another thing to think about is, the 64 players tend to not move/ play another smash game in the series as the physics and characters are not the same at all and puts the newer games off for us. So we are playing the same game for 18 years and lost all hope for sakurai to make another smash game like 64. But here comes jorgasm, keeping the game the same, but adding new things to it, like stages and characters, what 64 players wanted for years and years. This is (and i cant stress this enough) a dream come true. I would be extremely angry if the opportunity of new characters go to waste to implement (J) characters instead.
if you want (J) characters go play (J) smash. And dont you dare say "If you want new characters go play the new smash game" because the whole reason we arent playing the new smash games is because its not like 64 at all.

Big thanks to Cyjorg Cyjorg ! This progress is so unreal!! I love it!!
****in rekt. well said.

I lurk the 64 boards a bit, and i see why people would want j characters i guess. It's like ntsc vs pal in melee, except nerfs. if achilles offered new characters or pal, i would be upset if people were more fixated on pal lol but thats a hypothetical situation d:

Cyjorg Cyjorg thanks for all of your hard work, and im sure this goes without saying, but we appreciate you.

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434
****in rekt. well said.

I lurk the 64 boards a bit, and i see why people would want j characters i guess. It's like ntsc vs pal in melee, except nerfs. if achilles offered new characters or pal, i would be upset if people were more fixated on pal lol but thats a hypothetical situation d:

Cyjorg Cyjorg thanks for all of your hard work, and im sure this goes without saying, but we appreciate you.
Uhm, but what 20XX guyz do is basically add skins or alt costumes to recreate "new" characters. 19XXTE could easily implement both things. Well, not so easily due to technical limitations, but I get your point. I want to use the same argument you used.

Basically you would get angry because if your request of getting "new" characters into the game were dumped for something else as such the JCharacters replacing them. I think's that's rather obvious and dumb as an argument. I could say exactly your argument but from my view, which is exactly the opposite. So because you requested something it demands more importance than what the other people ask? We have the same right to ask requests in this thread. Why not adding JCharacters into the game like 20XX did with PAL characters AND Alt Costumes? Do you want to be exclusive to just keep the requests that you are only interested? That's pretty egotistical, dude. And I know I have annoyed the dev of the hack several times, but hey, we are only suggesting those requests. I'm not demanding for him to do so because I don't have the authority to do so neither you.
Just let Jorgasms decide and continue watching how will be the final outcome.

The Star King

Smash Hero

The other idea was disabling pause in vs mode, or maybe switching pause to left dpad or something?

caneut

Smash Ace
So uh, what about button remapping? Can you create a toggle to allow people to remap the buttons? Or maybe just move the start button to a little bit less offensive position? My favorite is left dpad.

rip sk i thought you would just suggest removing

but I'd also like to remap taunt to right c button.

Last edited:
Top Bottom