• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Updated 06/09/16] 19XXTE 0.11, ROM Hack (Working on Console!)

AlexIsStarving

Smash Apprentice
Hey man, this hack is amazing. I got an everdrive clone called the ed64 plus and it works great on it.

Is there no toggle for p1 derek stick? Because the name for it is missing. I still toggle it, but does it work?

JcFerggy

Smash Rookie
Depending on how many stage hacks you want to implement, I think layouts based on Pokemon Stadium 2 and Wario Land from PM would be both the easiest and competitive friendly. The only other one that I would really want would be Smashville, but I don't know how hard implementing a moving platform would be.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Hey man, this hack is amazing. I got an everdrive clone called the ed64 plus and it works great on it.

Is there no toggle for p1 derek stick? Because the name for it is missing. I still toggle it, but does it work?
it works, forgot to retexture it

Damn I almost bought one of those but I didn't trust it. Oh well

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
I don't speak spanish and don't encourage illegal downloads but this guy claims to have made a wad of 19XXTE 0.9G which we all know didn't work. If any who speaks spanish could tell me what's going on here, that'd be awesome.

Just an old version. Oh well

Last edited:

WEEGRO

Smash Rookie
Periods are you friend. If you enable the blank one above "P2 Stick toggle," you won't be able to do a bunch of things.

Are you using a derek stick?
a couple different versions. I also play hori and helps with that as well. I dont use adapters or a gamecube controller, just redesigned sticks for n64

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
battlefield and fd is not competitive
I think lagless teams is a dumb idea and I refuse to make it happen.

See. That's what it would sound like if I was just an ass for no reason. Keep your negativity out of my thread or at the very least, don't harass other people. Also, GamingMaster GamingMaster , don't provoke him.

Cyjorg Cyjorg How do I make the 19XXTE 0.11 ROM Hack to work on my Everdrive 64?
My Everdrive is in the mail so I can't really help here. AFAIK, following the steps on the first post (How to Patch (19XXTE 0.11+)) and then putting the ROM on your Everdrive like normal should work.

-

Edit: Finally catching up to Roja

nemu64 2016-06-15 01-52-52-64.png

Last edited:

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Is it possible to have a frame by frame advancement feature in 64? I thought Melee already had one in it's debug menu so I wasn't sure if that was something that could be added to 64 or not.

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434
Items in Melee were ONCE competitive.
So it is likely those stages could turn competitive.
For those who only play 64 (like you) you ask: "Why?"
For those we play other Smash games (such as me), we exclaim: "Great Idea!"
If you don't like the stage. You can completely ignore it. Just like we ignore items and all that bull**** not needed for high level play.

caneut

Smash Ace
Items in Melee were ONCE competitive.
So it is likely those stages could turn competitive.
For those who only play 64 (like you) you ask: "Why?"
For those we play other Smash games (such as me), we exclaim: "Great Idea!"
If you don't like the stage. You can completely ignore it. Just like we ignore items and all that bull**** not needed for high level play.
items causes lag

Shears

Smash Master

Kreygasm
Jorgasm

@fox324roja ;)

Edit: and before anyone asks, it's in nemu which is why the black bars exist
This is awesome, I will probably be playing exclusive polygon skins from now on. However, I think polygon skins won't be tournament legal at majors simply because the change in the characters display will heavily favor the polygon user as spacing and timing become several degrees more difficult for the opponent. A lot of hitboxes and hurtboxes already aren't in line with character models but at least most people have an understanding of how they line up with the current skins, with polygon the hitbox/hurtbox-character model lineup changes.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
This is awesome, I will probably be playing exclusive polygon skins from now on. However, I think polygon skins won't be tournament legal at majors simply because the change in the characters display will heavily favor the polygon user as spacing and timing become several degrees more difficult for the opponent. A lot of hitboxes and hurtboxes already aren't in line with character models but at least most people have an understanding of how they line up with the current skins, with polygon the hitbox/hurtbox-character model lineup changes.
Clones

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
It's worth nothing that the polygons aren't necessary clones. The things I remember is that Pikachu has some of his speed attributes changed, Link's jump is higher, and there's defintely something strange about Ness's double jump, because he always desyncs with me when I have Ness and pNess directly beside each other and control them with one controller input.

I personally wouldn't recommend legalizing them until the others are proven to be true clones.

items causes lag
...that wasn't the point he was making. Not to mention that lag isn't the reason that items are banned in Melee anyway; it's because of the inability to remove explosive capsules and crates, which inevitably spawn on top of someone in the middle of an attack.

tehz

Smash Apprentice
It's worth nothing that the polygons aren't necessary clones.
well, i think they're clones of the Japanese version of the character. They weren't updated for ntsc-u.

Jorgasms means "clones" as in Polygon Fox can now be used a base for Falco, so Fox and Falco can exist on the same ROM.

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
OK, thanks for clearing up all my confusions with that comment. :p

EDIT: Damn, these smileys are weird.

Last edited:

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434
well, i think they're clones of the Japanese version of the character. They weren't updated for ntsc-u.

Jorgasms means "clones" as in Polygon Fox can now be used a base for Falco, so Fox and Falco can exist on the same ROM.
OR, they could be used to fit in the japanese character counterparts (such as Japanese Link being a true powerhouse and having a decent recovery), and Japanese Ness with deadly Up Air / PK Thunder 2 and better moveset overall.
This, in the case that polygons are the japanese counterparts. Would be better than incomplete clones. Or at least I think so.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
OR, they could be used to fit in the japanese character counterparts (such as Japanese Link being a true powerhouse and having a decent recovery), and Japanese Ness with deadly Up Air / PK Thunder 2 and better moveset overall.
This, in the case that polygons are the japanese counterparts. Would be better than incomplete clones. Or at least I think so.
No. That would make the NTSC versions of the characters obsolete

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
Nothing could make the only tournament legal versions of characters "obsolete", for exactly the reasons that Shears has already mentioned here.

They may become a feature for more balance-oriented locals, but majors [and locals that focus as practice for majors] will never leave them as tournament legal.

Last edited:

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Legality aside, by adjusting the characters to match their J counterparts, they still won't feel fully like the "J" version because there are other differences in that game that is not tied to the characters, such as the DI. At that point, you may as well just dismiss making the characters their J version all together and stick with modifications like the Falco mod or something.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Just some more of my thoughts on the topic.

1. Even with a Japanese ROM, making the polygon characters function like their base form would be difficult. The most obvious examples are Polygon Yoshi (doesn't have the egg shield) and Polygon Kirby (swallowing).

2. It would be used as you describe for balancing the cast instead of acting as a way to play the Japanese version of the game. This encourages the attitude "my character isn't good enough which is why I'm not winning." Just wait until you get bodied by a Samus and then you'll understand.

3. I don't want to. This sounds selfish but you have to realize modding is very difficult. When I seek out large projects or ideas, I do it because I know my (and in this case, the work of Fray and PGC), will be worth the time and hard work. The first step of enabling polygon specials took me roughly ~20 hours of research and brainstorming not including the time looking at DMA. Actually implementing the specials takes another hour or so per character (which is why only Mario and Fox work right now) before any sort of changes occurs. I couldn't imagine spending that much time to enable characters that won't play identically to the Japanese version (think hitlag on drills, di, etc.) either way.

4. One of the most common things fans of 19XXTE thanks me for besides the mod in general is the revival or longevity the features add. Some of the hacks keep people playing and potentially attract more people to the game. Japanese characters don't do that.

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
I don't think that this problem of--whatever low tier mains remain playing Smash 64--complaining about the balance of their characters really exists.

Out of curiosity, do you interact with the Sm4sh community significantly or something?

[or maybe I'm just overestimating the Smash 64 community here...]

Hell, either way, maybe I just want to play with an actual good version of Link when I'm messing around with Smash 64. I don't even really care if he's a perfect clone of JLink, it's a buffed version of Link that Nintendo has objectively handed down as a Smash 64 version of Link that you could implement. Or not. In the end, I don't expect this community as a whole to question you or to expand on your work further than you intend on doing.

EDIT: And taking this position while at the same time talking about implementing a Falco mod of all things makes me feel like this is some sort of strange joke. Am I dreaming?

I would love to be pleasantly surprised in that way, though--from either you or from some other modder. [as long as they know what they're doing, of course]

Last edited:

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434
Just some more of my thoughts on the topic.

1. Even with a Japanese ROM, making the polygon characters function like their base form would be difficult. The most obvious examples are Polygon Yoshi (doesn't have the egg shield) and Polygon Kirby (swallowing).
No doubt about that.

2. It would be used as you describe for balancing the cast instead of acting as a way to play the Japanese version of the game. This encourages the attitude "my character isn't good enough which is why I'm not winning." Just wait until you get bodied by a Samus and then you'll understand.
Have you ever seen a Samus winning a Major/National? Japanese players doesn't count.
Either way it is still enjoyable. Since you could play the japanese version of whatever character. Although some characters like DK don't change at all in japanese, It could work as a PM-esque character balance and would create interesting matchups, although this only would affect low tiers. Anyways, just like the original polygons and the "new" stages layout, if people don't like them. They may choose to ignore it. I was always wondering how much this would affect the meta or the matchup chart.
On a side note I think this would be the most balanced lineup and would be interesting to play and test those matchups.
Pikachu (U)
Kirby (U)
Falcon (U)
Fox (U)
Yoshi (U)
Jigglypuff (U)
Mario (U)
Samus (J)
Donkey Kong (?)
Ness (U)
Link (J) with (U) buffs.
Luigi (J)

3. I don't want to. This sounds selfish but you have to realize modding is very difficult. When I seek out large projects or ideas, I do it because I know my (and in this case, the work of Fray and PGC), will be worth the time and hard work. The first step of enabling polygon specials took me roughly ~20 hours of research and brainstorming not including the time looking at DMA. Actually implementing the specials takes another hour or so per character (which is why only Mario and Fox work right now) before any sort of changes occurs. I couldn't imagine spending that much time to enable characters that won't play identically to the Japanese version (think hitlag on drills, di, etc.) either way.
This seems more like a practical limitation, rather than being selfish. It is understandable.

4. One of the most common things fans of 19XXTE thanks me for besides the mod in general is the revival or longevity the features add. Some of the hacks keep people playing and potentially attract more people to the game. Japanese characters don't do that.
Are you sure? Any feature that could be implemented to add variety in the game brings more longevity, because we are playing a game that has been around 17 years and anything that could be added helps refresh the game like new. Yeah, I know, the Japanese stuff doesn't make much sense for the American player. But think it. Everyone plays this game. You make happy a lot of people with each new feature added. It just would become a less boring experience since it helps relieve the fact we are playing the same over and over again. But thanks to the improvements made, this hack always brings something to keep on playing.

In conclusion, rather than a thing of preference or potential game/meta breaker, or region, whatever. Realistically what limit this idea is the fact of the high difficulty of achievement to fully implement it. That being said.

RPGgrenade

Smash Apprentice
man, you should really tell that to the melee, Project M, Brawl and Smash 4 guys, because clearly they don't know what they're doing. gg logic.
If anything dreamland is less neutral then BF and FD, because of the wispy... it's why I turned it off in my smash 64 after all =P

and Cyjorg Cyjorg DAMN, any plans with the polygons? or is it just skinning purposes for now?

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434
man, you should really tell that to the melee, Project M, Brawl and Smash 4 guys, because clearly they don't know what they're doing. gg logic.
If anything dreamland is less neutral then BF and FD, because of the wispy... it's why I turned it off in my smash 64 after all =P

and Cyjorg Cyjorg DAMN, any plans with the polygons? or is it just skinning purposes for now?
Well... maybe because those games naturally featured those stages already available to play?
And even today people in Melee, PM and Smash 4, still play in Dream Land. Is not like they complain that much about the wind, is not even game breaking like the characters themselves. Sure it is annoying. But as a fixed element you can use it to your advantage, just like Randall in Yoshi's Story and those Brawl gimmicky counterpick stages. We just adopted them. And we love them.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
I don't think that this problem of--whatever low tier mains remain playing Smash 64--complaining about the balance of their characters really exists.
There's a thread that does exactly that at the top of this forum. It's not a huge issue but I wouldn't want to further it.

EDIT: And taking this position while at the same time talking about implementing a Falco mod of all things makes me feel like this is some sort of strange joke. Am I dreaming?

Would it help if I pinched you?

Have you ever seen a Samus winning a Major/National? Japanese players doesn't count.
Either way it is still enjoyable. Since you could play the japanese version of whatever character. Although some characters like DK don't change at all in japanese, It could work as a PM-esque character balance and would create interesting matchups, although this only would affect low tiers. Anyways, just like the original polygons and the "new" stages layout, if people don't like them. They may choose to ignore it. I was always wondering how much this would affect the meta or the matchup chart.
On a side note I think this would be the most balanced lineup and would be i
Straw man argument. You also further my point by calling Samus bad and implying you'd need a better Samus to win a national.

Falco first. We'll see

Dan-E

Smash Apprentice
so i have the hack and the rom but when i drag the rom over the patch.bat file i don't get a new rom to load into my emulator. any ideas why this might be happening? could it be the roms fault?

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
so i have the hack and the rom but when i drag the rom over the patch.bat file i don't get a new rom to load into my emulator. any ideas why this might be happening? could it be the roms fault?
You need a vanilla rom and to drag the rom into the folder first.

lzer0

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
LULZ#434
Straw man argument. You also further my point by calling Samus bad and implying you'd need a better Samus to win a national.
Well, I'm not trying to discuss who is right or wrong with whatever modding is going to be done. But the J-Characters issue is just like the 1P-Only stages. They will both be banned due for not being available in standard play. BUT, still, adds a sense of variety to the game. It makes the game more fun. And it will not impact on competitive play since people will just straight prohibit that in large-scaled and even Nintendo Sponsored events for being a mod. Just do your work. I was just saying my opinion. Oh, and yes, Samus IS a bad character. In the NTSC version. There is a reason low tiers are rarely used in top level play tournaments. But I would not be surprised if a player of the likes of Jousuke manages to win a Big Tournament with NTSC-U Samus. Just praise that as a showcase of extreme skill. But it is very unlikely to happen, altough, not impossible.

Last edited:

Dan-E

Smash Apprentice
You need a vanilla rom and to drag the rom into the folder first.
i did... i have the rom. it's the one where you can't see the tree on dreamland and samus's charge shot doesn't show up

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
i did... i made a back up of the rom myself. it's the one where you can't see the tree on dreamland and samus's charge shot doesn't show up
Oh you ripped it yourself? That's cool. Anyway, make sure you have an NTSC-U version of the game as well. That's just the american release.

Dan-E

Smash Apprentice
Oh you ripped it yourself? That's cool. Anyway, make sure you have an NTSC-U version of the game as well. That's just the american release.
wait what? no i just downloaded it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Madao

I think it's about time I start mapping out the ROM. I'm thinking that we need a wiki / database, that has information on the offsets for various data. I'd like feedback if anyone has decided on a wiki to collectively use

I'm going to also try to look into editing stage background and try to find out where the animation data is.

it's the one where you can't see the tree on dreamland and samus's charge shot doesn't show up
That sounds like you're using a bad graphics plugin. You should try using GLideN64 or Glide64 if you have a good computer. Otherwise you're probably best off using Rice Video, unless you're using Project64 2.x in which case Jabo 1.7.0.56 is the best overall (Rice Video is faster but has worse graphics).

Top Bottom