• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Updated 06/09/16] 19XXTE 0.11, ROM Hack (Working on Console!)

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Um someone donated $130.80...the exact amount I had listed to try stage hacks. So I'm gonna do Pokemon Stadium for sure. Are there any other simple stage designs you guys would like to see?

And update me on blast zone sizes (I don't know what realistically needs to be changed) so I can fix those too.

Thank you TGZ_Freean.

GamingMaster

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AbnormalAdept
simple as in u can model edit? suggestions r f zero and earthbound stg with simple layouts to represent them

TGZ_Freean

Best 64 player in AZ. Best Solo 64 Luigi Main.
NNID
Marabio
3DS FC
3566-1594-3271
My pleasure man. This mod is awesome, and you deserve it. Got 3-4 everdrives in Phoenix running this.

tehz

Smash Apprentice
Are there any other simple stage designs you guys would like to see?
Can you flatten out the bottom platform of Yoshi's Island (cloudless)? I don't what your opinion on this would be (or if people think that this needs to be changed), but I feel that any of the "locked" stages are fair game to be changed. They were never made or balanced for VS mode, and the easiest and quickest way to add new, good SSB64 stages is by changing these almost "finished"

And update me on blast zone sizes (I don't know what realistically needs to be changed) so I can fix those too.
I'd probably post something on the FB group so you can get real players' opinions, but Metal Cavern, Yoshi's Island (Cloudless), and FD should be changed to something. Maybe model them on Melee? So, like keep the ratio between Melee's BF:YS for 64's DL:YI, etc.

Also, update on the SSS page button. The built-in routine does redraw the stage icons, but it doesn't "free" the old, already drawn icons. So, the icons would pile on top of one another until the game couldn't allocate anymore memory, and it crashes (~7-10 redraws).

On Wednesday, I found the "free" routine that can unlink the already drawn icons, so when we redraw, the game allocates new memory over the old memory. Icons no longer pile on top of each other, etc., and everything seems stable. I haven't had a chance to test it on console, but since I'm using routines the game calls everytime you move the cursor on the SSS (and a ton of other places in game), it should be okay....

Assuming this redraw func works on console, the only other thing I want to test is adding images to a resource file to see if the game will DMA everything for me, etc. After that, everything else is pretty easy.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Can you flatten out the bottom platform of Yoshi's Island (cloudless)? I don't what your opinion on this would be (or if people think that this needs to be changed), but I feel that any of the "locked" stages are fair game to be changed. They were never made or balanced for VS mode, and the easiest and quickest way to add new, good SSB64 stages is by changing these almost "finished"
No I agree. I'm just not creative at all.

I'd probably post something on the FB group so you can get real players' opinions, but Metal Cavern, Yoshi's Island (Cloudless), and FD should be changed to something. Maybe model them on Melee? So, like keep the ratio between Melee's BF:YS for 64's DL:YI, etc.
Alright I'll ask them and I'll suggest the Melee ratio when I ask.

Assuming this redraw func works on console, the only other thing I want to test is adding images to a resource file to see if the game will DMA everything for me, etc. After that, everything else is pretty easy.
So this is pretty interesting. My plan was to brute force do this. Copy the images into the RAM bank @ 80380000, inject a function in some spot that's called every frame on the SSS (iirc you found a good one for MM/DK/polygons) and then simply overwrite the image data.

However, I've played with the bin file sizes and structure before so we might be able to do that instead. I just don't know enough on RAM allocation atm.

tehz

Smash Apprentice
So this is pretty interesting. My plan was to brute force do this. Copy the images into the RAM bank @ 80380000, inject a function in some spot that's called every frame on the SSS (iirc you found a good one for MM/DK/polygons) and then simply overwrite the image data.
I think that would work, since the image data is live... I think. I haven't really tested. As far as I can see, this is how the images are "rendered":
A fixed, hard coded in the ASM (lui+addi) address that contains a pointer to a dynamically allocated structure that has image type, image height/width, pointer to image data, screen x/y, etc. Since the structure is pointing to the image data (resource-0030.bin copied into RAM), and changing any of the values in that structure update the screen, changing the image data should make the new data appear...

However, I've played with the bin file sizes and structure before so we might be able to do that instead. I just don't know enough on RAM allocation atm.
Yeah, I think the files are put in dynamically. There are base addresses for each of the files stored in memory, and "image lists" are always offsets from the start of the file to a certain part of the image footer structure.

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
THIS MOD IS MY DREAMS I SWEAR!!!! Maybe a reskin of "How To Play" and make it look like idk maybe an earthbound theme, or fzero, or anything! Also fix the blast zones of that stage too and its good 2 go!

...add metal mario and make him not crash....

huh what who said that

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
OOOHHHHH DO A PAPER MARIO THEMED "How to play" AND MAKE IT STAR BORN VALLEY
Paper mario star born valley 1.png

Star born valley 2.png

Star Born valley 3.jpg

DUDE IF YOU DO THIS I WILL GO NUTS MAN
PAPER MARIO REPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
He said he wanted simple, but uh yeah. I like the Starborn Valley theme. Metroid or Earthbound could be cool themes to design around.

GamingMaster

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AbnormalAdept
a section is good enough all we really need is earthbound and f-0 and everyone gets a rep btw @jorgz i once read nokabure's thread about stg hacking and he made omega stgs in training and he used codes to make training an actually vs mode. perhaps training could be like an omega mode the thread is somewhere on smashboardfs and im referencing the saffron omega stg he made

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
a section is good enough all we really need is earthbound and f-0 and everyone gets a rep btw @jorgz i once read nokabure's thread about stg hacking and he made omega stgs in training and he used codes to make training an actually vs mode. perhaps training could be like an omega mode the thread is somewhere on smashboardfs and im referencing the saffron omega stg he made
No I'm not going to take the time to make a bunch of stages that all function the same as Final Destination.

Komotonoto

Smash Journeyman
Any chance you can get teams to not lag on console? Didn't read if this has already been talked about before or not, srry if it has.

Last edited:

Martorell

Smash Rookie
Um someone donated $130.80...the exact amount I had listed to try stage hacks. So I'm gonna do Pokemon Stadium for sure. Are there any other simple stage designs you guys would like to see?

Thank you TGZ_Freean.
I was thinking about possibly doing Dreamland-clones that resemble Melee Battlefield or Yoshi's Story, IDK. The point of being a Dreamland clone is that It may count as a Legal stage (same platform sizes and position, blastzones depth and so on) so we won't have to look at Dreamland every single time we run a tournament match? Just an idea.

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
I was thinking about possibly doing Dreamland-clones that resemble Melee Battlefield or Yoshi's Story, IDK. The point of being a Dreamland clone is that It may count as a Legal stage (same platform sizes and position, blastzones depth and so on) so we won't have to look at Dreamland every single time we run a tournament match? Just an idea.
I really like this idea personally. "Random Dream Land Textures" toggle. However, I couldn't imagine it being allowed at tournaments because players are uncomfortable/uneasy with things they're not used to seeing. Specifically with brawl/PM, players were often distracted by setups with custom costumes and textures.

It may seem hypercritical to say this considering I enabled the team costumes in singles but I stand by that decision since they are still something players have seen before.

I'll keep the idea in my head and leave it up to discussion. No promises I could pull it off but still

Martorell

Smash Rookie
And as something completely unrelated to stages and textures: I was having a casual conversation with Arturo (Mariguas) about 19XXTE, and he said that one of the few thing that could make it a viable option for trainig alone (here in Ensenada there's like zero people that can stand him) is that the CPU could always tech in place or roll unpredictably, z-cancel every aerial, and/or even SDI slightly for practicing combo maneuvering. Something tells me that messing up with CPU AI is kind of difficult and that training-solo play is far from your objectives, but I don't know really.

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
And as something completely unrelated to stages and textures: I was having a casual conversation with Arturo (Mariguas) about 19XXTE, and he said that one of the few thing that could make it a viable option for trainig alone (here in Ensenada there's like zero people that can stand him) is that the CPU could always tech in place or roll unpredictably, and/or even SDI slightly for practicing combo maneuvering. Something tells me that messing up with CPU AI is kind of difficult, but I don't know really.
Iirc there's already an auto teching gs code I could probably look into.

No matter how good I make the CPUs, they will never be as good as practicing against a human. People who play against CPUs pick up bad habits. Assuming a human is going to hit every tech is bad. Assuming they'll hit 70% is bad. There are situations when you'll always hit a tech (if it's easy tech) and situations where you'll probably miss one (tech traps, when you're getting combod/flustered). Emulating it in code is unrealistic.

Last edited:

Jayr

Smash Cadet
I noticed that the salty runback only works if the controller is plugged on P1 Slot. Is it possible to make it work on the other 3 slots too?

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
I noticed that the salty runback only works if the controller is plugged on P1 Slot. Is it possible to make it work on the other 3 slots too?
It's setup to work with all three but I probably have a bad branch. I'll look into it.

I've asked this before, but would it be possible for stereo/mono to be relocated to the debug toggles since I can't get there otherwise?
Think I'll replace the stage select option with stereo/mono for you

Last edited:

$$$ Jim $$$

Smash Cadet
i like that yoshi's story (ssbm) has platforms that extend past the ledge. i'd also potentially be interested in seeing something like warioland, which has platforms under platforms. those are the main ways that would add something additional (rather than just having different battlefield variants). another thing that interests me (but idk if it'd be good) is a stage that's essentially FD but with a single, wide platform in the middle (dunno how big it should be).

really, anything new would be awesome to see

Jayr

Smash Cadet
Also, I saw that the "random music" toggle changes the music in the game in all possible aspects. The result screen gets a random stage theme or credit theme and if you put items on it, the hammer theme or star theme change the music that is playing on the stage everytime they are used. It is not a bug or something, but it is an amazing toggle.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Also, I saw that the "random music" toggle changes the music in the game in all possible aspects. The result screen gets a random stage theme or credit theme and if you put items on it, the hammer theme or star theme change the music that is playing on the stage everytime they are used. It is not a bug or something, but it is an amazing toggle.
yeah I got to the literal function that says "play song" so that doesn't surprise me. Not sure if I want to revert the changes or not. They're kinda funny.

Since I never play with items, does it go like this?

1. Random Song 1 at start
2. Random Song 2 instead of hammer music
3. Random Song 3 after hammer music

Or

1. Random Song 1 at Start
2. Random Song 2 instead of hammer
3. Random Song 1 after hammer music

And what does this mean for MK? All interesting to me

Jayr

Smash Cadet
Yes. It is exactly the first situation you described. It is so much fun.

GamingMaster

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AbnormalAdept
wat r u still doin here waste of time. r u done with ur "canuet-competitive thread yet"?

Last edited:

GamingMaster

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AbnormalAdept
its called 19xxte_011 or it might be hidden. if so go to organize on windows viewer and go to folder and search options then go to view and click show hidden files

GamingMaster

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AbnormalAdept
btw @jorgz i found a glitch the remaining item slots that r not textured plus heart and star towards the bottom forces me to walk. i cant run and/or jump. i cant even fall off ledge while teetering.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
btw @jorgz i found a glitch the remaining item slots that r not textured plus heart and star towards the bottom forces me to walk. i cant run and/or jump. i cant even fall off ledge while teetering.
Periods are you friend. If you enable the blank one above "P2 Stick toggle," you won't be able to do a bunch of things.

thanks i got it working! frickin love the stick hacks i can actually do falling up airs.
Are you using a derek stick?

Top Bottom