• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Updated 06/09/16] 19XXTE 0.11, ROM Hack (Working on Console!)

D

Deleted member

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I can't access VS Mode, I pick my character but the stage select screen never appears. :/

smash-con

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to get this to work on my everdrive. Get on the new hype train of real stages. At first it kept saying mvcr100.dll missing so I replaced it. Now I'm getting two issues first it bleeps this error then it
says path to widescreen.n64 and 19XXTE.n64 can't be found. I followed the first posts setup unsure whats going on. It says this everytime I start the patcher where I'm suppose to input the rom name.

First Issue

Second thing it says

Any help? *gulp*

-Fancy

Last edited:

bowl

Smash Cadet
I provided smash-con with the rom so i helped fix his issue.

Could someone provide me with the .rdb file to play this over netplay? I am having issues getting it to work

bowl

Smash Cadet
any way to manually apply no nado/ no dreamland wind? id like it myself but i can understand not applying it universally

iMario

Smash Cadet
NNID
iStarFox
I found this kinda interesting, but can someone like upload the 19XXTE.n64, you know the rom when its done being hacked because i can't seem to it my self because my mac.. Please? :)

Madao

I found this kinda interesting, but can someone like upload the 19XXTE.n64, you know the rom when its done being hacked because i can't seem to it my self because my mac.. Please? :)
Posting links to download ROMs is not allowed, but someone can send you a patch file. I'll try and see what patching programs work for Mac.

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
Hey sorry if I missed this in all the comments but, sudden death?

My friend and I were just playing some late night casuals on DL. I went offstage as Yoshi and cancelled his fox upB for the sure win but then bonked by head on the DL underside and killed myself before he died. We are sure that I died and the timer didn't run out. We got a sudden death (300% one stock) as if we were playing timed and the KOs were tied. What triggered this?

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
Hey sorry if I missed this in all the comments but, sudden death?

My friend and I were just playing some late night casuals on DL. I went offstage as Yoshi and cancelled his fox upB for the sure win but then bonked by head on the DL underside and killed myself before he died. We are sure that I died and the timer didn't run out. We got a sudden death (300% one stock) as if we were playing timed and the KOs were tied. What triggered this?

it has happened to me many times since playing quickmatch, it has to do with time+stock i belive

same kills or deaths i think, but ive seen victory screens in other ssb romhacks with stock+time where they are different values, so it beats me

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Suicide takes away from your score. Killing your opponent increases the score. When timer and stocks are enabled, time takes priority over stocks and score is used to determine the winner.

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
Suicide takes away from your score. Killing your opponent increases the score. When timer and stocks are enabled, time takes priority over stocks and score is used to determine the winner.
Nice man thanks. Even though it says "Score -1" when you die, it only actually takes away a point if it's a suicide right?

Capos

Smash Apprentice
Nice man thanks. Even though it says "Score -1" when you die, it only actually takes away a point if it's a suicide right?
In time, every death is -1. So 1 stock with no SDs would be +1 over -1. A 1 stock with 2 SDs by the loser would be -1 to -1.

So realistically that's that's the only situation in this would come up (1 stocks with 3 and 1, 4 and 2, or 5 and 3 SDs or 2 stocks with 4 and 0 or 5 and 1 SDs would also cause it but that seems unlikely).

Last edited:

Lextirpate

Smash Rookie
I tried this out. It was super fun! However, there are 2 small things missing from the ideal version to me.

Can you please make a version with an infinite default timer (to prevent having to set it to infinite for the 5-stock game on every boot) and no tornado on Hyrule Castle? If you did that, it would be the PERFECT SSB.

Further, a Planet Zebes level with stationary acid would be pretty awesome, but that's just a dream.

Last edited:

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
Posting links to download ROMs is not allowed, but someone can send you a patch file. I'll try and see what patching programs work for Mac.
I used Multipatch to get 20XX with the .xdelta file. Had no problems.

GamingMaster

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AbnormalAdept
I tried this out. It was super fun! However, there are 2 small things missing from the ideal version to me.

Can you please make a version with an infinite default timer (to prevent having to set it to infinite for the 5-stock game on every boot) and no tornado on Hyrule Castle? If you did that, it would be the PERFECT SSB.

Further, a Planet Zebes level with stationary acid would be pretty awesome, but that's just a dream.
its set to 8 min for a reason. it prevents people from stalling cuz it would only end when people die

Lextirpate

Smash Rookie
I understand that, but I don't mind "stalling" and I want it to only end when people die, personally, at least when I'm just messing around. I don't like fighting game timers; never have. I like if the players decide for themselves when to end it rather than an arbitrary timer cutting off the fun.

Are the bubbles for when you get knocked off stage messed up, or is it a Project64 emulation error? If it is an actual error in the patch, is there anyway to fix it? For reference they're fine in the original version of the game on PJ64. Also, anyway to fix the spawn points on FD?

Last edited:

Lextirpate

Smash Rookie
It's Project64. It looks perfect for me with the mupen64plus-libretro core in RetroArch.

Edit: Also, check 3:15 in the above-posted video. Luigi is off the screen with the off-screen bubble shown there.

Last edited:

Luke090

Smash Rookie
Hi I am new to this thread and this hack is amazing thank you for your hard work. Been playing it on my everdrive and it runs very well.
I thought I could give you some insight on texture hacking. I have looked through the game's textures using tile molester and have found 1 texture of Kirby's face and a lot of textures of fire and energy balls and that sort of stuff and nothing else. With these textures I was able to edit and have them run on an everdrive and on project 64 but these textures are very minor ones and are not the ones people even want changed.
All the good textures(character select/stagetextures) are compressed within the rom using the vpk0 compression format found in Hudson games. I used Universal game decompressor by SubDrag to decompress the rom. Then once it was decomprssed I found most of the missing textures located there. I just dont know how you would recompress the files back in the game after editing them.
here is a link to a forum post for more details: http://origami64.net/showthread.php?tid=245

(these are some examples of some of the texture that i found that were compressed)

Also on a later update it would be cool to have 2 more roms made with the hitbox cheat enabled as an option like:
19xxte.n64
19xxte(Widescreen).n64
(HitBox)19xxte.n64
(Hitbox)19xxte(Widescreen).n64

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Hi I am new to this thread and this hack is amazing thank you for your hard work. Been playing it on my everdrive and it runs very well.
I thought I could give you some insight on texture hacking. I have looked through the game's textures using tile molester and have found 1 texture of Kirby's face and a lot of textures of fire and energy balls and that sort of stuff and nothing else. With these textures I was able to edit and have them run on an everdrive and on project 64 but these textures are very minor ones and are not the ones people even want changed.
All the good textures(character select/stagetextures) are compressed within the rom using the vpk0 compression format found in Hudson games. I used Universal game decompressor by SubDrag to decompress the rom. Then once it was decomprssed I found most of the missing textures located there. I just dont know how you would recompress the files back in the game after editing them.
here is a link to a forum post for more details: http://origami64.net/showthread.php?tid=245

(these are some examples of some of the texture that i found that were compressed)

Also on a later update it would be cool to have 2 more roms made with the hitbox cheat enabled as an option like:
19xxte.n64
19xxte(Widescreen).n64
(HitBox)19xxte.n64
(Hitbox)19xxte(Widescreen).n64

Thanks and sorry for the long post.
m

Sick

tehz

Smash Apprentice
https://www.caitsith2.com/ereader/tech.htm

Download the nvpktool. Windows only etc. I don't know of any opensource implementations of a vpk compressor ):

Once you re-compress the file, you can add it back to the rom. Zoinkitty made a file inserter that automatically updates the file table. I can link it when I get home

EDIT: Madao listed and linked to everything you need here:
http://smashboards.com/threads/gameshark-code-collection.341009/page-7#post-19451758

Also, look into a program called N64Rip (windows frontend here). This program works really well for exporting/importing 32/16bit RGBA in SSB, but it seems to have problems with the lower bpp formats. Things like series icons/text pictures don't render correctly. I'm currently porting the program to javascript, so I can play around with image conversions methods (among other smash specific things I want to add)

Last edited:

Luke090

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the advise tehz it really helped! By using the program that Madao listed I was able to reinsert the decompressed files back in the game. I was able to change textures and play them on project 64 and on my everdrive.
The one problem is that when I decompess a file it turns into a ".bin" file and I cannot edit the file with n64 rip because i get an error saying that its not a n64 file. Tile molester is great for finding images in a rom but It can not change n64 textures because it will mess up the game. So I I used a Texture editor called crystaltile2 and was able to edit the textures with it .The only problem was the only tool it had was the pencil tool from paint with colors from a pallet to choose from this is nearly impossible to work with compared to n64rip. Becauae you have to edit 1 pixel at a time.
For editing the character select screen i thought it might be cool to change back every character to there 16 bit sprite on the super nintendo.

(proof)

tehz

Smash Apprentice
The one problem is that when I decompess a file it turns into a ".bin" file and I cannot edit the file with n64 rip because i get an error saying that its not a n64 file
In the GUI, there should be a checkbox for "verify rom". Uncheck that and it should work fine on the extracted files/big-endian memory dumps/etc.

Anyways, making progress. For some reason, ssb seems to store its 4bpp images in some weird format where every word needs to be swapped with the word following it on the even lines (if you call the first line "line 1")
[Edit: All the images need to be swapped....]

So, n64rip/title molester will render this:
Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 7.48.14 AM.png

while what you want is this:
Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 7.48.44 AM.png

Last edited:

Luke090

Smash Rookie
I'm confused. I'm looking at the same files you've opened in tile molester and they look nothing like that L Luke090
To view the files you have to really mess around with the setting in tile molester.
View
Codec
32 bpp ABGR
View
Mode
2 Dimension
Now at the top you have to mess around with the width (that is the one with the 3 vertical bars) and you have to get the width to 48 or 98 pxels for it to appear .

tehz tehz thanks for the advise again I was able to use n64rip to import/export the files. But sadly after editiing them the game freezes when loading the textures and it did not freeze when I used crystaltile2. I think it freezes because the image looks byteswapped like in the example you provided above what program did you use in the pictures to byteswap it?

To Decompress the files and put them back in I downloaded:
Files decompressor/reinster
Gui for decompressor/reinster made by Madao Just put the exe in the same directory as the compressor, as well as the edited compressed files (to simplify the process).
you need to download a version of python 3.3 or higher to run the decompressor.

After looking through many Files I found that "0019 binary file" is the file that contains the character select screen. To find this in N64rip details are in the picture:

http://imgur.com/L0VHduN

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
...there has to be a better method of finding these textures than looking through tile molester, right? Anyway here's the progress I made.

Attachments

tehz

Smash Apprentice
I dunno; there might be. In every file I've looked at (which isn't many to be fair), all of the images have a footer that lists width, height, image format, pallet, pallet location, and image and footer start offsets. Maybe more, but those are what I've recognized.

Now, what's interesting is that the image/footer offsets have two offsets within the word. The lower half is the offset (in words) of the image in the file, while the upper half is the offset (in words) relative to some in memory pointer. Once a file's copied into RAM, there's a routine that goes through the data to calculate the RAM location (offset*4 + pointer) and replaces in file offset data with the calculated RAM offset.

Since I can't find anything in the footer that points to the next footer or image (and since there are no headers that I can see), that routine is either looping through like all of the words to find something (which maybe, since there is a termination offset (0xFFFF)), or there is a table somewhere that lists the images. If there is a table, that'll help our search. We still won't know what the images are, but we'd have a full list.

Also, I fixed the not-remembering cursor on the SSS bug. It happened due to changing the pointer in S1 for the alternate stage loading. S1 was also used to store the cursor location, but it's SB instruction was not updated to reflect the new value in S1

EDIT: Resource-0030.bin is various SSS images. Stage Names, Stage Icons, random interface things,etc.

Last edited:

PurrLikeATurtle

Smash Rookie
NNID
PurrLikeATurtle1
3DS FC
4468-1493-2145
Every time I select vs, the game crashes with 6 consecutive error messages.
They are:

"WTF

Branch
NextInstructoin = 3"
repeatx1

I need to add more code in GenerateSectionLinkage cause this is going to cause an exception"
Repeat allx1

Help me

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Is there a way to add new characters? Maybe by replacing metal marios files or giant dks character files? I would love to see falco or marth

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Also, I fixed the not-remembering cursor on the SSS bug. It happened due to changing the pointer in S1 for the alternate stage loading. S1 was also used to store the cursor location, but it's SB instruction was not updated to reflect the new value in S1
Nice catch! I just patched it as well.

Anyways, making progress. For some reason, ssb seems to store its 4bpp images in some weird format where every word needs to be swapped with the word following it on the even lines (if you call the first line "line 1")
[Edit: All the images need to be swapped....]
Like this?
(AAAAAAAA BBBBBBBB CCCCCCCC DDDDDDDD) > (BBBBBBBB AAAAAAAA DDDDDDDD CCCCCCCC)

...there has to be a better method of finding these textures than looking through tile molester, right?.
There is. We can use a slightly modified version of Soul of Deity's method (described for OoT here and simplified by me below). Our way of doing it would look something like this.

1. Use Rice's plugin to dump textures from PJ64
2. Find the desired texture in the dump
3. Convert the texture from .png to an uncompressed .tga file
4. Use one of Soul of Deity's utilities to convert the .tga file to raw hex
5. Swap every other word in the raw file creating "raw2"
6. Search for the values in raw2 in the decompressed rom/ .bin file.
7. Note the location in the .bin file
8. Edit the original .png
9. Repeat steps 3-5 with the edited .png
10. Copy the "raw2" file contents over the location noted in step 7.
11. Compress the file and insert it to the rom.
12. profit.

I've made this process work with a texture that was already "word swapped" (ie skipping step 5 because it wasn't necessary). Assuming I was right about the swap, I'll be texture hacking all day tomorrow after my exams.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Is there a way to add new characters? Maybe by replacing metal marios files or giant dks character files? I would love to see falco or marth
Probably a question more suited for @fox324roja. He replaced Fox with Falco in a ROM hack. Pretty sick if you ask me.

Edit: key being replaced, not added. I won't take away tournament viability from this hack.

Last edited:
Top Bottom