• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*UPDATE* I now have the game and...I can honestly say DON'T WORRY SHE'S STILL GOOD!

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
My Impression of Zero Suit Samus has changed. I think she's definitely playable. Can't go into details..I'm in class now but umm she's pretty cool haha. And also the downsmash thing I said was that it comes out "super quick" I never said it was any faster... Now I should rephrase that though.. I'll say...it's fast enough. It's not instant like in melee but it's still pretty dam useful if you know how to read opponents' rolls... From what I see it kills. Also I have the game now (modded my Wii) so I can go even more in depth...I will be recording videos soon..she is still VERY usable and there are always ways around other characters Metroid_01. Can we do a wifi match sometime..? I'll pm you later if I can. PM me your AIM though.

that really sucks, they were really useful to edgeguard a sweetspot, and also to keep distance from players making them jump...so bombs were nerfed as well and bombjumping to return to stage seems unnecessary now since all characters can survive high percentages now and comeback due to floatiness
Bomb jumping is still useful for stalling ^_^ although it may not be always necessary when it comes to recovering it still has it's uses. You just have to be extremely careful since like Metroid said you will not be able to move until the animation is over.

and I seriously still dont get the missile cancel thing. Is there really a cancel? I have 5 people with me that play the game all the time that say no...but everyone else seems to have some concrete proof somewhere that it is in. Id love to see it.

Metroid: missile cancel is in. Do this. shorthop and do a homing or strong missile...now tell me does the animation carry over from when you're in the air to the ground? No it does not, it cancels the move and resets you back to the neutral position. That essentially is missile cancelling.. same as it was with Melee. You can shoot two missiles faster than normal because of this....now platform cancelling missiles ...is not able to be done...due to a bunch of other factors. But I think your friends are probably referring to platform cancelled missiles when they tell you that it's not in. They have the whole definition of "missile cancel" wrong. I should demonstrate all of this in a video...dammit I need to setup to record sometime soon.

*UPDATE ON GRAPPLING HOOK*

It seems ANY character with a grappling hook of some sort (Lucas, Link, Toon Link etc) can use their hook up to 3 times. So don't think it's only Samus that has the ability...it seems like it's simply a function in the game where you can grapple up to 3 times with anyone.

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
My Impression of Zero Suit Samus has changed. I think she's definitely playable. Can't go into details..I'm in class now but umm she's pretty cool haha. And also the downsmash thing I said was that it comes out "super quick" I never said it was any faster... Now I should rephrase that though.. I'll say...it's fast enough. It's not instant like in melee but it's still pretty dam useful if you know how to read opponents' rolls... From what I see it kills. Also I have the game now (modded my Wii) so I can go even more in depth...I will be recording videos soon..she is still VERY usable and there are always ways around other characters Metroid_01. Can we do a wifi match sometime..? I'll pm you later if I can. PM me your AIM though.
Haha, I just had to nitpick that. One of my favorite strategies in melee was spot dodge to down smash, so it was something that peeved me. Overall, she feels slower on the ground and smoother and quicker (in terms of attack activation) in the air. I really like how smoothly she plays, thats for sure.

I know theres usually a way to beat any character, but I would have to say that those are some of the most uphill matchups I have ever had to deal with.

Btw, my aim is in my profile, I would love to play some matches.

Edit: oh ya, Ill try the cancel out...when I first started playing I tried to short hop missile and it never came out so I just gave up :p. Thank you for explaining to me the idea behind what everyone has been saying.

Phazon_Dude

Smash Apprentice
Hey... heres a possible new idea i thought of. Since now Samus' charge beam sorta stuns the enemy momentarily and also if it hits it produces little knock back, especially if the opponent has low percentages. Is it possible to then do a running tackle or nair right after the opponent gets hit by the charge beam so its like 35% damage plus good knock back depending on the attack you use? Or is there to much lag on Samus?

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
Thanks for the videos your Samus is good. Also you finally put an end to the whole missile cancel argument thanks for that keep up the good work Samus looks as fun as ever and I look forward to playing her.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
i like how no one looks at my vids on missile canceling even though i posted them before

also, the main argument was that you can't missile cancel low enough so that super missiles can shoot low

there already was a vid online that showed that samus can missile cancel, it was weither or not she could do it low enough so it was like shooting on the ground

XSilvenX

Smash Lord
Hey... heres a possible new idea i thought of. Since now Samus' charge beam sorta stuns the enemy momentarily and also if it hits it produces little knock back, especially if the opponent has low percentages. Is it possible to then do a running tackle or nair right after the opponent gets hit by the charge beam so its like 35% damage plus good knock back depending on the attack you use? Or is there to much lag on Samus?

Tried it. It seems the amount of time the opponent is stunned is just as long as Samus takes to brush herself off after the charge shot recoil. In other words... theres too much lag. Even at point blank range I couldn't follow up with a ftilt during stun. By the time the ftilt came out the opponent was blasted away. I found that at zero percent you can follow up with something because the opponent barely moves away from you, but only at point blank range of course. Charge shot to grapple works perfectly. So if your opponent just came out and they have it in for you you can just "b" then grapple. Not sure if they can escape or not though since I was trying this in training mode.:dizzy:

kmkzSP1K3R

Smash Apprentice
hey Silven i got a question...actually 4 =P

1) So we know the grapple sweetspots now, but i've heard that grapples and tethers don't sweetpot if someone is ledgehogging(but it's been unclear whether opponents were in invincibilty frames or not during their observations) so is it possible to sweetspot the ledge if someone is ledgehogging but NOT in invincibility frames?

2) SO if your grapple doesnt sweetspot due to invincible ledgehoggers, the grapple should still fly straight right? And if it DOES fly straight, and it touches the wall of the ledge, can the grapple still latch onto the wall, then lets you hang, and then you can pull yourself up again?

3) What happens when you shoot a straight flying grapple towards the ledge and it hits an NON-invincible ledgehogger? Does the enemy fall, or does he just take damage? furthermore, does samus sweetwpot the ledge, or does she even latch ON to the wall?

4) How far ABOVE the stage can you sweetspot grapple? so yeah you can sweetspot at and below ledge level, but can you even sweetspot above ledgelevel? if yes...approximately how high/far above?

Thanks in advance for the answers and sorry for the long, numerous, and possible confusing questions. =)

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
4) around the height of a person standing on the stage, i learned this while doing grapple goodness

for ur other questions, i believe you can't latch onto any part of the wall unless it's the sweetspot, i've tried so many times and i get gimped because of it

i think even though they are not invincible your grapple still wont latch, i believe i got gimped a few times because of this, if not, then they should get hit from the grapple, but inreality who ledge hogs so they have no invincibility frames : /

if you need video proof, then i guess silven will post some soon enough, cuz no one likes my low quality vids LOL

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
Her down smash is no better or worse than any other d-smash now. Since CC is out you cant CC to the smash and its a bit slower (as is her spot dodge) so now it will probably take on the traditional job of helping with people trying to roll near you or something. The knockback is good, and it can kill at higher %s, but when they are that closer to you and you know they are gonna be in front, always try to go for down tilt since it is now a pretty good kill move.

Phazon_Dude

Smash Apprentice
Tried it. It seems the amount of time the opponent is stunned is just as long as Samus takes to brush herself off after the charge shot recoil. In other words... theres too much lag. Even at point blank range I couldn't follow up with a ftilt during stun. By the time the ftilt came out the opponent was blasted away. I found that at zero percent you can follow up with something because the opponent barely moves away from you, but only at point blank range of course. Charge shot to grapple works perfectly. So if your opponent just came out and they have it in for you you can just "b" then grapple. Not sure if they can escape or not though since I was trying this in training mode.:dizzy:

Hmmm.. i see. Well thanks for trying it anyway, also, can you still do the same thing with missiles? As in fire a missile and run so both of them hit at the same time? I used to do it in Melee. Also, if Samus' missile gets reflected I always used to hop over it into a neutral kick.. which was nicely over powered.

FuLLBLeeD

Smash Journeyman
Silven, you're a great Samus player. I'm honestly not worried about her anymore. Her projectile game is still good, shes got great priority, and she looks bad ***.

Dew Rag

Smash Ace
Hmmm.. i see. Well thanks for trying it anyway, also, can you still do the same thing with missiles? As in fire a missile and run so both of them hit at the same time? I used to do it in Melee. Also, if Samus' missile gets reflected I always used to hop over it into a neutral kick.. which was nicely over powered.
i don't think you could do that cuz missiles gain speed the further they go out, the super anyways

also when a missile gets reflected it's hard to do anything cuz reflectors reflecting things back at double the speed, and of course, the nair is nerfed, so it can't really destroy missiles

you can shield it though lol or spot dodge

Top Bottom