• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Update) Aerial C-Stick Issues +*Workaround*

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
Is this on both smash sticking and tilt sticking or just tilt sticking? This could be a workaround to the little-known Brawl bug that buffering a tilt-stick tilt will cause you to jump for god knows why.
It's both, I just happened to have tilts on.

Shog

Smash Ace
To me it seems people are only pissed because the button configuration works different.
I played N64 and always had 4 Jump buttons, I was also pissed about the Melee long time ago with the Gamecube Controller.

Let time sink in, you will learn fast!

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
To me it seems people are only pissed because the button configuration works different.
I played N64 and always had 4 Jump buttons, I was also pissed about the Melee long time ago with the Gamecube Controller.

Let time sink in, you will learn fast!
Dude. Are you trying to say that none of us who take issue with this have started on the first title. Stop being dismissive. The fact that the c stick locks up controls until reset to neutral for a set time is obviously a bug and it should have attention brought to it. Just telling people to adapt is frakly awful advice and is no way to help make the game objectively better.

Shog

Smash Ace
But if it doesn't get changed, you have to adapt...?
I don't get your point at all

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
This thread is ABOUT adapting. Literally, workarounds and ways to adjust.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Yeah, key point being IF. But if we all shut up and "adapt" as you say, then it's not an if at all.

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
I look forward to any controller updates if they can fix this issue, also wish they did something about the fast fall with the C stick when you press down on it.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I understand that it's an issue but I think it is important to adapt regardless, until we get a new patch it's what we got. I'm not gonna say it should STAY but we probably should deal for now until it gets hotfixed.

For the record, it's also good to learn how to flick the C-Stick faster to begin with, helps optimize your reactions and polish your input speed. But I agree this bug could be patched out pretty easily and I'd like it to be, just for when I use Wario who requires PRECISE AERIAL CONTROL to be a ****.

Conda

I understand that it's an issue but I think it is important to adapt regardless, until we get a new patch it's what we got. I'm not gonna say it should STAY but we probably should deal for now until it gets hotfixed.

For the record, it's also good to learn how to flick the C-Stick faster to begin with, helps optimize your reactions and polish your input speed. But I agree this bug could be patched out pretty easily and I'd like it to be, just for when I use Wario who requires PRECISE AERIAL CONTROL to be a ****.
Agreed. We have to adapt, but fixing this will help everybody. This is not an issue that helps anyone, fixing it only helps people while not affecting everyone else.

Until then, we adapt. But I'll be very happy when it gets fixed. We should share the video so those who are just getting the game and finding controls unresponsive in the air can know what's going on. I'm lucky I figured out what it was so quickly and could help people find a workaround that works for them.

Last edited:

Frostav

Smash Apprentice
This is definitely annoying for those who hold the stick, but I thought everyone flicked the stick? I'm a complete noob and that's what I do.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
On the bright side when this is patched everyone will have mastered the art of C sticking and our gameplay will ascend even further.

Part of Nintendo's master plan?

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
May I ask what your other controls are? I use Y to jump and I find it hard to short hop into an aerial using the c-stick.

option.iv

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I honestly have no problem flicking the stick. I see no reason to hold it during aerials. I mean, you gain access to incredibly easy pivot fsmashes with c-stick set to smash.

As for making it easier to short hop into c-stick. Set jump to L. It offloads jumping to an index finger, leaving attacking solely to your thumb. No longer have to rush your thumb from x to c-stick.

Last edited:

Conda

It's obviously not about holding it for any reason. The games have never had a mechanic that made not flicking it perfectly punish you.

Many of us hold the c-stick at times - not for any real reason, but because it's been part of the flow of the gameplay for us personally. It's felt great for the past 13 years. Adapting after such a long period will naturally be required from us, now that the way we use the controller has punishment built-in.

It's kind of like if Y-axis being reversed in a new FPSs was a punishing control option - a lot of people would have to adjust to non-reversed y-axis controls. I'll admit that'd be a much bigger deal :p

Last edited:

Artero

Smash Enthousiast
NNID
Artero
It's obviously not about holding it for any reason. The games have never had a mechanic that made not flicking it perfectly punish you.

Many of us hold the c-stick at times - not for any real reason, but because it's been part of the flow of the gameplay for us personally. It's felt great for the past 13 years. Adapting after such a long period will naturally be required from us, now that the way we use the controller has punishment built-in.

It's kind of like if Y-axis being reversed in a new FPSs was a punishing control option - a lot of people would have to adjust to non-reversed y-axis controls. I'll admit that'd be a much bigger deal :p
IMO if anything it's more like not being able to switch 'crouch' to toggle or hold in a FPS. ;) Which can be quite annoying, depending on how you're used to playing. Comes a bit closer in comparison, seeing as (like you stated) your comparison is a bit too extreme. :p

Anyway, pretty sure this will get patched regardless, so it'll most likely only be a short-lived inconvenience.

Last edited:

hariooo

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
Why don't you guys let go of the past and play the game the way the developers intended it to be played? You sound like Melee whiners. =]

wmo_

Smash Cadet
So C-Stick also does tilts if you're holding a direction? If I hold up (as if I wanted to do an up-tilt) and hit the c-stick up, I do a tilt. If I don't hold anything and hit up on the c-stick, I do an up-smash.

Is there a way to disable this? I hope some changes happen soon because I feel like I'm not even doing the moves I want with the c-stick. I considered doing the 'workaround' but I like smash attacks on my c-stick. What's up with this?

Conda

So C-Stick also does tilts if you're holding a direction? If I hold up (as if I wanted to do an up-tilt) and hit the c-stick up, I do a tilt. If I don't hold anything and hit up on the c-stick, I do an up-smash.

Is there a way to disable this? I hope some changes happen soon because I feel like I'm not even doing the moves I want with the c-stick. I considered doing the 'workaround' but I like smash attacks on my c-stick. What's up with this?
Worked like this in Brawl. Doesnt apply to fsmash either for some reason anymore.

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, this has to be a bug. The C-Stick alao makes problems outside of the game. If you for example try to rotate your Mii or Amiibo character in the menus with the c-stick, the game also moves the cursor around, what is really annoying. ( strangly it works with the R-Stick of the WiiU Controller). I guess, it will be fixed.

Conda

Seriously, this has to be a bug. The C-Stick alao makes problems outside of the game. If you for example try to rotate your Mii or Amiibo character in the menus with the c-stick, the game also moves the cursor around, what is really annoying. ( strangly it works with the R-Stick of the WiiU Controller). I guess, it will be fixed.
Yes, implementation is definitely strange. Maybe it's a bit of relic weird-code from the game being on the 3ds as well, and c-stick programming being tacked on instead of integrated from the get-go. No idea

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
I've been having this thing happen that the c-stick will use a neutral air instead of a backward or forward air. I have it set on smash, so it can't be the diagonal tilts. The weird thing is that I don't know how to execute neutral airs on cue. They seem to occur randomly in the heat of the battle.

My guess is that it has something to do with the directional stick.
It doesn't make any sense why neautral airs will come out when I'm pushing in a direction.

Has this happened to anyone else?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
If you pivot then tilt with the C-stick, you can tilt upwards or downwards depending on how you're holding the control stick. Can't do it for standing tilts.

Gionni

Smash Apprentice
That is a really stupid change, I know that the c-stick is for the smash attacks but now i can't do retreating aerials, i guess that i will be never able to play marth as i always did R.I.P. Marth

wmo_

Smash Cadet
Does anyone else get n-airs while using the c-stick sometimes? I don't know if it's just me slipping my thumbs or if it's a bug but I swear sometimes I flick the C stick and a n-air comes out. I have my c-stick set to smash, I never changed the setting.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone else get n-airs while using the c-stick sometimes? I don't know if it's just me slipping my thumbs or if it's a bug but I swear sometimes I flick the C stick and a n-air comes out. I have my c-stick set to smash, I never changed the setting.
I just posted the same thing 2 posts ago. Haha
I guess it must be a bug cuz, yeah, me too.

wmo_

Smash Cadet
I just posted the same thing 2 posts ago. Haha
I guess it must be a bug cuz, yeah, me too.
my b hah. im glad someone else is experiencing this, I could of sworn my thumb was no where near A when I had n-airs with c-stick. let's hope for some fixes in the patch :]

Artero

Smash Enthousiast
NNID
Artero
During Smashes I'll regularly get n-airs instead of f-airs of d-airs.. Though when I go into Training, I don't get a n-air once. This is with the C-stick set to tilts (which I wouldn't have if Smash C-stick kept aerial momentum). Almost makes you think Nintendo went out of their way to gimp the C-stick instead of these being bugs.

Keeping my fingers crossed this will get fixed soon, because it really is quite annoying.

EDIT: I've got it! When you C-stick 'between' the other aerials, you'll do a neutral air!

Here's what I mean:

Not very practical if you ask me though.

Last edited:

wmo_

Smash Cadet
During Smashes I'll regularly get n-airs instead of f-airs of d-airs.. Though when I go into Training, I don't get a n-air once. This is with the C-stick set to tilts (which I wouldn't have if Smash C-stick kept aerial momentum). Almost makes you think Nintendo went out of their way to gimp the C-stick instead of these being bugs.

Keeping my fingers crossed this will get fixed soon, because it really is quite annoying.

EDIT: I've got it! When you C-stick 'between' the other aerials, you'll do a neutral air!

Here's what I mean:

Not very practical if you ask me though.
I tried that and it only applies if your c-stick is set to tilt (I think). I heard about diagonal c moves but when I do them they just do the closest move, if I try up-right it either does an u-air or f-air.

Artero

Smash Enthousiast
NNID
Artero
I tried that and it only applies if your c-stick is set to tilt (I think). I heard about diagonal c moves but when I do them they just do the closest move, if I try up-right it either does an u-air or f-air.
Ah, I only tried it with those settings, so dunno how it works with the others. Will try it out with Smash on C-stick later.

B!squick

Smash Master
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, or if this is just my imagination with how the game worked before, but I'm pretty sure I remember being able to angle smash attacks with the left stick when using the c-stick to do them. Now that the c-stick has total control I have to use the c-stick to angle them.

Doesn't compare to canceling aerial momentum mind you, but this is still very weird and going to take some getting use to if they don't change it back.

Last edited:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
2) Inputting a diagonal with the C-stick on the ground initiates a JAB. Thus, tilted f-tilts are not possible. Diagonals also perform a NAIR in the air. Get ready for misclicks. This is SUPER awkward. :(
Why not just use the left stick for diagonal tilts, like you've been doing in previous games anyway? Diagonal aerials aren't a thing either so you don't have to worry about those. As a Puff main, being able to nair while moving is the best thing ever.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
I tried getting a neutral A with my Wii classic controller, but after a while of trying, I couldn't get it.
I'm starting to think it might be the GC controller or adaptor, cuz if it's a bug in the game due to the C stick being able to charge up smashes, then it should happen with any other controller that has a C stick.
But then again, it was in training mode, which I saw a post recently said they couldn't get a neutral A in training mode.
But I also think they ended up saying that they had it set to tilts.
Also, I set my GC controller to tilts today and I haven't gotten any unwanted n-airs so far.
idk, this is weird.

Last edited:

wmo_

Smash Cadet
I tried getting a neutral A with my Wii classic controller, but after a while of trying, I couldn't get it.
I'm starting to think it might be the GC controller or adaptor, cuz if it's a bug in the game due to the C stick being able to charge up smashes, then it should happen with any other controller that has a C stick.
But then again, it was in training mode, which I saw a post recently said they couldn't get a neutral A in training mode.
But I also think they ended up saying t
I tried to replicate it myself with no luck. But if I don't think about it and play it seems to happen. I also haven't played much lately due to work but something is definitely up

option.iv

Smash Cadet
At least on the GC and the Gamepad/Pro controllers, hitting a diagonal to get a tilt requires accuracy. You can't deviate from the diagonal a couple degrees (I would guess 5-15 degrees) or you'll get a cardinal direction.

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
I'm having more trouble accidentally nairing when I don't want to than I am nairig when I want to with the C Stick tbh.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
But I also think they ended up saying that they had it set to tilts.
Also, I set my GC controller to tilts today and I haven't gotten any unwanted n-airs so far.
idk, this is weird.
I'm using a Classic Controller Pro and it works fine for me, including training. Are you remembering to actually set your name?

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
I'm using a Classic Controller Pro and it works fine for me, including training. Are you remembering to actually set your name?
The problem isn't that I can't get n-airs. It's that my GC controller's C stick will randomly through out n-airs, even when I have it set to Smash. I'm not the only ones who's been having this problem.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Watch them nerf the C-Stick tilts in the next update.

Me, I think it's a very intentional addition. Why? To give those with a C-Stick less of an advantage, of course.
That's kinda nonsense. That's like making the short hop window 2 frames larger with X to nerf the Y button.

Top Bottom