• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Update 3.0

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'd like to see maybe a New Game Minus mode added to Adventure Mode. It'd be basically like New Game Plus, but you pick one of the three following to have to obtain all over again: spirits (ONLY for Adventure mode), board bonuses, or other characters. It would add to replayability I feel.

I'd also expect a Stage Builder mode, more Mii costumes and maybe new bosses.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Make Diddy's damn Banana safe on shield again. That's the very least I ask for. Also don't let dash attacks automatically catch Bananas. While we're at it, buff Diddy's recovery and overall kill power, or frame data.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm sure there'll be something significant added outside of the paid DLC.

It'll probably be something that was cut for time in the original plan so I'm thinking Home Run or WiiU style stage builder.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
don't see stage builders appeal, there mostly generic and inferior then the real ones,

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
don't see stage builders appeal, there mostly generic and inferior then the real ones,
That's only because of the Stage Builder's limitations. If it had more tools, we could make better stages.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
I only want extremely small character customization (custom colors at least) at some point down the line, but for this patch, I want Boss Battles mode, and that seems totally reasonable.

saiyan.

Feint - Snake Eyes
I only want extremely small character customization (custom colors at least) at some point down the line, but for this patch, I want Boss Battles mode, and that seems totally reasonable.
That’s something that completely slipped my mind. Character customization would be so freaking cool or maybe skins that are purchasable off the store for every character not just Mii. I use to play a game called GunZ that had something very similar as a boss mode but it was called Quest Mode, was a freaking blast. Let’s hope it’s something we are all looking forward to and not just rubbish..

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
That’s something that completely slipped my mind. Character customization would be so freaking cool or maybe skins that are purchasable off the store for every character not just Mii. I use to play a game called GunZ that had something very similar as a boss mode but it was called Quest Mode, was a freaking blast. Let’s hope it’s something we are all looking forward to and not just rubbish..
SNK vs Capcom 2, and various King of Fighters games had custom character colors, and it was cool as heck. Yeah it could make certain characters harder to see, but if it's disabled online or something, who cares?

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
YES! GIVE! I'mma give everyone without a proper green skin a proper green skin.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Here's what I want:

- Online squad strike. It's fine if it's arena battle only.
- Differentiate the echo fighters from each other.
- Fix the lag on Fountain of Dreams
- Make hazards off smashville the same as hazards on, or allow us to individually toggle hazards on and off on the select screen.
- If choosing the "hazards off" setting on the online rule settings, disable obviously terrible stages like Mushroomy Kingdom, Mario Bros, 75m, etc.

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
While a pipe dream, I'd love to see a better fleshed out online mode. I can't see a massive overhaul happening where they just go back to for fun and for glory. Which considering how they handled this online mode is a far cry better.

Some things that need to be fixed on online, if not a massive overhaul. If the game kicks you with that sign that says 'no match or whatever tf it states' you don't get punished for that. I've had hour penalties because of some kid with a garbage pail and potato running his connection that ended up stopping the fight and kicking us all.

If someone wants to leave before the match actually commences (like 5 seconds in) let them do it. They shouldn't be penalized. That is stupid. I joined quickplay and was apparently the only one there, but I couldn't leave. At all. It took the game about a minute or half to find some others.

If I want to change a fighter, I should be able to. I shouldn't have to leave the group I am with to switch fighters. Is this in place because Nintendo poorly coded how gsp works and it can't differentiate between a new fighter being selected until the lobby is left? If so, for shame Nintendo. Also team battles need to switch up the rotation of who is fighting who. I played with the same dude for several matches thinking I would eventually be paired with someone else, but nope.

Team mates stealing your stock is annoying when they keep dropping to their death. Have a rule setting in place to stop that. There's been so many close games that we just lost cause I was at 150% and some guy decided to keep eating gravity.

Preferably but not going to happen? Get rid of gsp. Gsp just makes everyone want to try hard and cheese. You can't find a game that is just for fun/chill. And arena battles...lol they're not much better. Don't show me locked battles I cannot join. Make that a rule to show or not. Most likely no one is going to know the pass anyway and it's for friends only.

Waiting forever on arena to only find out that the creator got bored and left, so all that waiting to do nothing. Yup that's my definition of a good time. Have it select the oldest joiner as the new creator. At least then you won't have to wait again for another match somewhere else.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
While a pipe dream, I'd love to see a better fleshed out online mode. I can't see a massive overhaul happening where they just go back to for fun and for glory. Which considering how they handled this online mode is a far cry better.

Some things that need to be fixed on online, if not a massive overhaul. If the game kicks you with that sign that says 'no match or whatever tf it states' you don't get punished for that. I've had hour penalties because of some kid with a garbage pail and potato running his connection that ended up stopping the fight and kicking us all.

If someone wants to leave before the match actually commences (like 5 seconds in) let them do it. They shouldn't be penalized. That is stupid. I joined quickplay and was apparently the only one there, but I couldn't leave. At all. It took the game about a minute or half to find some others.

If I want to change a fighter, I should be able to. I shouldn't have to leave the group I am with to switch fighters. Is this in place because Nintendo poorly coded how gsp works and it can't differentiate between a new fighter being selected until the lobby is left? If so, for shame Nintendo. Also team battles need to switch up the rotation of who is fighting who. I played with the same dude for several matches thinking I would eventually be paired with someone else, but nope.

Team mates stealing your stock is annoying when they keep dropping to their death. Have a rule setting in place to stop that. There's been so many close games that we just lost cause I was at 150% and some guy decided to keep eating gravity.

Preferably but not going to happen? Get rid of gsp. Gsp just makes everyone want to try hard and cheese. You can't find a game that is just for fun/chill. And arena battles...lol they're not much better. Don't show me locked battles I cannot join. Make that a rule to show or not. Most likely no one is going to know the pass anyway and it's for friends only.

Waiting forever on arena to only find out that the creator got bored and left, so all that waiting to do nothing. Yup that's my definition of a good time. Have it select the oldest joiner as the new creator. At least then you won't have to wait again for another match somewhere else.
gps should be replaced with points that go up with a win but does not drop with a lose, people will be more willing to rematch tough opponent if not so much was on the line.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
I'd say they are all quite different from each other already, unless you are talking about Lucina and Chrom.
Simon and Richter, Daisy and Peach, Samus and Dark Samus are all essentially the same as their partner character. The minor differences are so negligible 99.99999% of the time that I really can't agree with what you said. Granted, I also don't think they need to be all that different, but pretending they are is sort of just....dishonest.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Simon and Richter, Daisy and Peach, Samus and Dark Samus are all essentially the same as their partner character. The minor differences are so negligible 99.99999% of the time that I really can't agree with what you said. Granted, I also don't think they need to be all that different, but pretending they are is sort of just....dishonest.
OP said "from each other", not "from the fighter they are based on".

saiyan.

Feint - Snake Eyes

Couldn’t of said it any better myself. Everything you covered is pretty much what’s wrong with Online as a whole and as bad as I want the system to be trashed and replaced with something else I know it’s never going to happen. GSP is the worse incentive to play this game I’ve ever seen, it honestly ruins it entirely. Every single game has somebody doing the same input over and over to try and get to elite and then once they finally do they realize it’s no different. I mean what’s worse than a Belmont who spams axe and holy fire and then proceeds to run away from you every time you approach.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Couldn’t of said it any better myself. Everything you covered is pretty much what’s wrong with Online as a whole and as bad as I want the system to be trashed and replaced with something else I know it’s never going to happen. GSP is the worse incentive to play this game I’ve ever seen, it honestly ruins it entirely. Every single game has somebody doing the same input over and over to try and get to elite and then once they finally do they realize it’s no different. I mean what’s worse than a Belmont who spams axe and holy fire and then proceeds to run away from you every time you approach.
This really isn't any different than how most people used to play in For Glory.

Last edited:

saiyan.

Feint - Snake Eyes
This really isn't any different than how most people used to play in For Glory.
Through out the majority of sm4sh I was still playing Melee and I didn’t touch brawl at all, that being stated with the included input lag and slower reaction times across the board by everyone I still feel like you can obviously get better by training via Online. It’s just sad to see how much potential Online play could have with a more refined system or rankings. I feel like if they would implement a more serious metric other than GSP it would cause better game play. (Something similar to SFV LP’s system ranging from Rookie-Warlord or League’s with Iron-Challenger) Different tiers and different brackets of skill for the given tier would make this game explode competitively.

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
It's not any different then 4glory yes, but now you can't really choose 4glory or 4fun. All you can choose is 4cheese.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Through out the majority of sm4sh I was still playing Melee and I didn’t touch brawl at all, that being stated with the included input lag and slower reaction times across the board by everyone I still feel like you can obviously get better by training via Online. It’s just sad to see how much potential Online play could have with a more refined system or rankings. I feel like if they would implement a more serious metric other than GSP it would cause better game play. (Something similar to SFV LP’s system ranging from Rookie-Warlord or League’s with Iron-Challenger) Different tiers and different brackets of skill for the given tier would make this game explode competitively.

You know, for once I'd like to see a online game where Gold is the top rank. And to subsequently see all the nonsense they'd have to do to make however many ranks they need.

Starting at clay level then working up to wood maybe?

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Here's what I want:

- Online squad strike. It's fine if it's arena battle only.
- Differentiate the echo fighters from each other.
- Fix the lag on Fountain of Dreams
- Make hazards off smashville the same as hazards on, or allow us to individually toggle hazards on and off on the select screen.
- If choosing the "hazards off" setting on the online rule settings, disable obviously terrible stages like Mushroomy Kingdom, Mario Bros, 75m, etc.
You appear to be implying that Mushroomy Kingdom, Mario Bros., and 75m are suitable for serious skill-based 1v1 matches with hazards on. I highly doubt that you intended to do that. Lord knows how much potential Mario Bros. and 75m have the potential to devolve into circle-camp-fests without hazards (just watch any video of people struggling with Pauline's Spirit battle).

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
-i REALLY want taunts back..whether it was a cheap kill/normal kill or whatever i just like to taunt after each succeed kill if it's safe enough for me to do so..and QP is kinda ruining that for me >~>

- GSP should be less punishing period..especially if you have a losing streak and lets be honest..we all deal with those x.x

- how about finally being able to change characters after a match? like if i have a bad matchup i have to leave cause i can't change to a character where i maybe perform better with :l

- get rid of the 75m stage..lol.. i just hate the stage with a real passion (do not take me to serious on this 1, just me being salty about the stage i hate xD)

- no more punishing for SDing..some are noobs while others just made a mistake or it's cause of lag..i don't see the use of punishing players for this..i find it really lame tbh.. so lets just stop with that >.>

saiyan.

Feint - Snake Eyes
-i REALLY want taunts back..whether it was a cheap kill/normal kill or whatever i just like to taunt after each succeed kill if it's safe enough for me to do so..and QP is kinda ruining that for me >~>

- GSP should be less punishing period..especially if you have a losing streak and lets be honest..we all deal with those x.x

- how about finally being able to change characters after a match? like if i have a bad matchup i have to leave cause i can't change to a character where i maybe perform better with :l

- get rid of the 75m stage..lol.. i just hate the stage with a real passion (do not take me to serious on this 1, just me being salty about the stage i hate xD)

- no more punishing for SDing..some are noobs while others just made a mistake or it's cause of lag..i don't see the use of punishing players for this..i find it really lame tbh.. so lets just stop with that >.>
QoL updates definitely need to happen and I would rank most of these as "QoL". I just honestly think Nintendo doesn't care about what kind of online experience they portray.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Uh, too much projecting. I predict a bunch of disappointed people when this patch drops.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Probably not going to happen, but I wish they'd fix the pause camera. I prefer the old method for one, but even with the new method it often won't scroll to the whole stage when zoomed in.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This is probably asking for too much, but I'll put down my own inputs.
  • New voice clip options for Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Bowser, and King K. Rool.
  • The return of custom specials for every fighter who was in the Smash 3DS / Wii U base game.
  • Bowser, Wario, Little Mac, and Lucario gain an alternate Final Smash option, which promotes their Final Smash transformations to being fully playable again.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
If we are getting at least one new mode thingy in the update it'd be cool if it was like one of the following:

-Home Run Contest
-Boss Rush of some kind
-Something based off that penultimate thing in WoL
-Stage Builder but combined with minigames like Target Test, board the platforms, race to the finish...
-A new Smash Run, maybe with CPU opponents or KO-able ATs to knock out instead of enemies if they didn't want to dedicate resources to making enemies after they couldn't among other things for WoL
-Some new Classic/All-Star type mode with a bit more minigame/Melee-like Adventure stages in them?
-Something else completely new

They could just add other modes with the DLC over time to appease our single player content needs, but I guess we'll see what happens in 3.0.0 before getting our hopes up.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
You appear to be implying that Mushroomy Kingdom, Mario Bros., and 75m are suitable for serious skill-based 1v1 matches with hazards on.
What I meant is that when you choose your preferred rules for online, one of the choices is "Hazards Off". Unfortunately, this is Hazards Off with all stages included, and some stages, like Hazards off Mario Bros, for example, are still absurdly degenerate. I would prefer it we removed some of the most ridiculous stages from this list.

I am willing to tolerate slightly more leniency than the tournament community uses, for example, I would have no problem playing on a stage like Skyloft or Arena Ferox. Even though some degeneracy is possible here, I feel it's harder to abuse since you don't know which stage you're getting before the match starts and thus you can't specifically choose your character to exploit it.

In general, these are the types of things we probably don't want:

- Auto-scrolling stages
- Permanent walkoffs
- Overly big stages (Hyrule Temple / Great Cave Offensive / Palutena's Temple)

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'm genuinely curious about the reaction update 3.0 will get. I partially know what it will be.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
No one ever said they were expecting their ideas or hopes to be true. Just what their ideal version of it would be.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
and i discovered once again another thing that pissed me off..i felt like starting up the game again today no problems with the game it self but then BAM..all my replays i saved that i maybe wanted to watch again..GONE..i swear..it's cause it was late where i live and couldn't be to loud otherwise i would had cursed LOUDLY.. ignore the next sentence but i need to get it out anyway ''**** YOU SMASH!'' ok i'm done >.<

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
That happened with the WiiU as well. It's how it deals with updates. Anyway wanted to go online and was greeted with cheese match after cheese match. Getting tired of these lame kids.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
The main problem with that is how replays work in Smash Bros. See it's not the game saving a video of what happened, it's literally saving all the inputs that were made during the match and reenacting them for you. So the issue with updates is since it inherently changes the way the game works with buffs, nerfs, and whathaveyou it screws up replays so that different things happen. Like if you had a replay where you finished someone off with like a fair or something and in the next update that fair's knockback got reduced if you could somehow manage to watch that replay again it'd get to that point (assuming you didn't use fair any other time in the match somehow) and once it connects it might not do enough to kill so the whole system will get confused and while it would still play out relatively the same (ie character gets launched, and because no extra input is done they fall to their death), it wouldn't be exactly as it originally was so it messes up the whole feature.

Is it kinda stupid? Yeah, but hey with the new camera moving features it does allow you to get shots from angles that you just didn't have in the original fight.

Arthur97

Smash Master
The main problem with that is how replays work in Smash Bros. See it's not the game saving a video of what happened, it's literally saving all the inputs that were made during the match and reenacting them for you. So the issue with updates is since it inherently changes the way the game works with buffs, nerfs, and whathaveyou it screws up replays so that different things happen. Like if you had a replay where you finished someone off with like a fair or something and in the next update that fair's knockback got reduced if you could somehow manage to watch that replay again it'd get to that point (assuming you didn't use fair any other time in the match somehow) and once it connects it might not do enough to kill so the whole system will get confused and while it would still play out relatively the same (ie character gets launched, and because no extra input is done they fall to their death), it wouldn't be exactly as it originally was so it messes up the whole feature.

Is it kinda stupid? Yeah, but hey with the new camera moving features it does allow you to get shots from angles that you just didn't have in the original fight.
I can see why they did it. Saves memory. If you really want to save it, you can make it a real video so it's not the end of the world.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Yeah, it puzzles me when people call it stupid while missing the whole point in why it works that way. Save your replays somewhere else but its ultimately such a trivial issue.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The main problem with how replay data is handled is that it might not be able to properly replicate your match. But saving input codes uses far less memory than making a .mp4 file.

If you really want the best out of your replays, you'll have to find some way to record them onto your computer.

Top Bottom