• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Update 3.0

saiyan.

Feint - Snake Eyes
I would love new modes, but probably best to keep expectations low.
“Expectations are pre-meditated resentments.” I group Nintendo one notch above Sony and Microsoft but still it’s hard not to have high expectations for a company I grew up on.

xZRx

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7739-8489-3763
Not to keep this dumpster fire burning any longer than it needs to be but...

Like, the initial "WHOA, HE ONLY LOST BECAUSE OF A STAR KO!" thing from a month ago that happened is gone, no one remembers it until it's brought up, and by then it's more of a "Haha, that's soo funny" thing instead of "This is a serious problem" kinda thing.
Laughing at situations like this is one of the reason I got drawn to the game initially when I first played melee in like 2006. It was obviously a game that you could practice and master, but you could also make enjoyable for new comers to jump in with items, 4 player games, special smash etc. One item drop, stage hazard, or goofy landing could completely turn the standings in a game, and next thing you know your friends little sister bouncing around as kirby just won the first game they ever played because they popped a snorlax or hammer. Random things like that have ALWAYS been a part of the game, at least in some way each match. The amount of games that have ever had the final outcome changed over a blast vs star ko has got to be a tiny fraction of a percentage, most people will probably NEVER experience that. i think writing off the game (or even delay playing it) until something like that is "fixed" (which it doesnt need to be because it really isnt an actual problem) because of 1 or 2 losses is kind of against the nature of the game, and maybe video games in general?

Anyway... also gotta agree with arthur. I think its safe to say with all the outcry over online being garbage right now there has to be SOME changes to it, but to expect something specific or life changing is probably not that way to go. Ill really just be happy with some sort of acknowledgment that there needs to be fixes.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
I want a hazards switch on the stage select screen, not buried deep in the option menus. Let the option specify what the default is, and let me override if I feel like going crazy. There's no excuse for this to not exist.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Maybe I am being too competitive. I'm always looking out for competitive players. I want to enjoy the game too. I like Star KOs/Screen KOs, as they were satisfying before "Smash 4". I even did a goal on it for "Smash 64" and want to do that same goal for "Melee". But...man, is it torture trying to get past these issues in "Ultimate", especially for the goal I have in mind in the future.

By the way, I don't have the game, if my post above wasn't obvious enough. Maybe in 2020 or beyond, I may get it, but I can't guarantee that I'll fully enjoy it.
The game is probably the most polished Smash ever. There are problems, but out of the Online that has always been kind of bad and is no surprise, the core gameplay is near perfect, at least for me.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'd say a stage editor/stadium mode aren't out of the question. It must have been obvious to the devs that removing them would make the game's singleplayer feel more stale.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
More costume alts akin to Mario's wedding outfit and Pikachu Libre would be extremely welcome

Like, off the top of my head: Armored Mewtwo, Ms. Pac-Man, A fully realized Kaptain K. Rool, Dark Bowser....

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
More costume alts akin to Mario's wedding outfit and Pikachu Libre would be extremely welcome

Like, off the top of my head: Armored Mewtwo, Ms. Pac-Man, A fully realized Kaptain K. Rool, Dark Bowser....
Dry Bowser would be sick as an alt costume.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
The game is probably the most polished Smash ever. There are problems, but out of the Online that has always been kind of bad and is no surprise, the core gameplay is near perfect, at least for me.
Let's not get carried away. When it can't load pictures effectively, I'm not calling this thing polished.

saiyan.

Feint - Snake Eyes
When I think of polished games I think of Metal Gear Solid, every game created by Valve, Super Metroid, LoZ and hell even Skyrim comes to mind. Nintendo releases some really impressive games and most of them are highly polished EVENTUALLY. The ones I mentioned where polished right out of the box and that’s pretty hard to achieve. A good example of this is Square Enix with FF14, complete garbage on release. They picked up the pieces and later release ARR, talk about a polished MMO. In it’s current state no, SSBU isn’t “polished” at all and Nintendo obviously knows this. Will it be eventually? Most likely.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I want a hazards switch on the stage select screen, not buried deep in the option menus. Let the option specify what the default is, and let me override if I feel like going crazy. There's no excuse for this to not exist.
This is the only thing I'll ever ask for. Would just completely delete any argument people have about some stages being too similar to be legal.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
This is the only thing I'll ever ask for. Would just completely delete any argument people have about some stages being too similar to be legal.
I'd definitely want this as well.

Some stages have hazards I enjoy playing with. A bit of hazard can make a stage more enjoyable, such as the Metaknight claw / cannon thing, the cannonballs on the Windwaker map, the Fire Emblem stage that transitions, and the occasional fighter on the starfox stages.

Where it gets unenjoyable, to me at least, is on stages like some of the Pokemon maps, the one with Palkia on it, or that yellow Megaman thing.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Let's not get carried away. When it can't load pictures effectively, I'm not calling this thing polished.
Actually you know what? Yeah! FIX THAT! The fact that pop-in for fighter portraits is even a thing is really bad...

Astroking112

Smash Cadet
When I think of polished games I think of Metal Gear Solid, every game created by Valve, Super Metroid, LoZ and hell even Skyrim comes to mind. Nintendo releases some really impressive games and most of them are highly polished EVENTUALLY. The ones I mentioned where polished right out of the box and that’s pretty hard to achieve. A good example of this is Square Enix with FF14, complete garbage on release. They picked up the pieces and later release ARR, talk about a polished MMO. In it’s current state no, SSBU isn’t “polished” at all and Nintendo obviously knows this. Will it be eventually? Most likely.
Skyrim? Polished? It was a fantastic game for sure, but did you see the bugs? They still exist in releases today!

saiyan.

Feint - Snake Eyes
Skyrim? Polished? It was a fantastic game for sure, but did you see the bugs? They still exist in releases today!
The term polished in the video game world is highly subjective, sure Skyrim has all kinds of bugs but those bugs aren’t so detrimental that they suck you out of the experience. I’m still glued to my seat when I play Skyrim and 30 million other people are as well, why? Because the core of the game is polished, those minor bugs don’t matter. A line exists with video games where the development of the game was so pristine that it was already polished before patches or edges had to be trimmed that made the game polished after release not on release. Just my 2¢

Last edited:

Team Orchid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 7571 9773 6698
I thought of another QoL thing I'd like to see, that ability to reorganize stages. Specifically I wanna organize them by series rather than when the stage was made so it's easier for me to remember which stage is where.

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
On the topic of modes, I'd actually like to see more stuff to use Spirits for. Spirit board can get boring, and WOL doesn't really have any replay value to my knowledge.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Could they have a stage builder that gets around the issue of Inkling's ink mechanic registering on stage surfaces? Like if it was more like Brawl's pre-set one than Sm4sh's drawable one?

At any rate, if they're telling us to wait for it, I'd certainly hope it was a bit more than some slight balancing and Joker :p Of course, keep expectations low, but if they were to add in one or two new modes for 3.0.0, that'd be really cool. Whether that'd be Stadium, Stage Builder (maybe fused with Target Test to make a Super Mario Maker-like thing with people submitting their Target Test levels online as I've seen people suggest) or something new. I'd like a new Smash Run but it might be a bit weird that they'd scrap doing enemies for WoL among other things, only to do it anyway later albeit in a separate DLC mode. Maybe the aesthetics will be like those in Classic Mode's minigame and
the last level of World of Light.

Ultimate could use a bit more on the single player side, and with Sakurai stating he wants to give Ultimate his all (not like he hasn't already, of course), maybe it could live up to that of previous Smash games more with this update. But oc, expectations lowered.

link2702

Smash Champion
I hope at least one thing they do online, is force all matches to be best 2 out three. If you disconnect after only one match, you get an autoban for 5 minutes plus lose any gsp gains you got from the past 2 opponents. I’d also force it to use one match your ruleset, the next, to the opponents, and the last(if it goes to it) to maybe either some monthly community voted upon stage or ruleset, or randomly between yours and theirs(set by your matchmaking preferences, and this one setting will always match you with someone else that has the same, even if other preferences aren’t).

I can’t tell you how frustrating it is when your opponent has a stage choice or overall rules that completely screw your character over. And you get stuck with it 2-3 matches in a row.

If this all seems harsh, well too bad, it’s getting too common and annoying for a player to leave after a single match, usually after a win because they got their ruleset that directly benefits their character and playstyle, and want to leave in case the next match their opponent gets theirs. This puts an end to that immediately.

If you’re gonna have some sort of ranking system in place like this where differing rulesets get used, then you need to ensure it’s fair for both players rules to get equal usage against each other. Even “neutral” stages like bf or fd, can screw some characters over while greatly benefiting others.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I'm hoping for co-op in WoL. We got a hard mode on the day one patch, and 4 player co-op in spirit boards. Based on that, I'm expecting to see at least 2 player co-op. It's probably a safe bet but I could be wrong.

As for other things I want to see
-Boss Battles mode
-Home run contest
-Stage builder (Which could be possible based on what others could predict what was blurred out)
-Your character pick stays after every match
-Possibly a true all star mode (Being separate to the one we have now of course)
I definitely don't expect all of these and some are more of a stretch than others, but I'll be happy to get one or 2 things out of it.

Steelmullet

Smash Apprentice
I hope in the new update you can hit a button....pauses for suspense....and you do a move.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I not sure I can say I would be excited for a stage mode which I will never touch.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
I expect the next patch to include:
Joker
A couple dozen very minor balance adjustments

What I hope the next patch includes:
Squad Strike for arenas
Add rewind and fast forward to replays/videos
Change characters when rematching in quickplay
Change characters and/or stages without getting out of arena line
Host can change arena rules and players in the arena get a popup notification

Arthur97

Smash Master
I think they may pull a surprise and have the second fighter also available in the update. I doubt it, but they do love their surprises. Maybe it'd be a fighter I actually want.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I see many people are projecting already on the 3.0 update. Expect the expected, not your wants and desires. Otherwise you'll be constantly disappointed.

Typically, updates of this kind bring balance changes, but the way they announced and what little they showed makes me believe that they might bring a new mode. If you asked which one I would say Stage Builder. It makes sense because its one of the most missed features from previous games.
Hopefully, they do a bit more but I'm not expecting anything beyond what I stated,

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
If they do add new modes in 3.0 I hope they add more in updates after that. There are so many ideas for new modes I'd like to see realized.

LipFlare

Smash Cadet
"The Purple Egg is the Final Smash of Marin from Links Awakening -Awakening of the Windfish-"

and

"Her moveset make use of the eight Instuments of the Sirens - A musical fighter, indeed (step aside Puff)-"

or how... about

Potential Links Awakening reference is to direct *cough cough* it have to be something more in-*eyeroll*-direct. How about:
New Assist Trophy; Town Tool Shopkeeper.
Effect: Using player's tag will be labeled "THIEF" the name of the character will also be affected. After 2 seconds a slow laser will be shot from the TTS. Contact with it- be it any player- inflicts 50% and a critical slowdown knockdown/meteorsmash. "I wasn't kidding [...] you'll pay the ultimate price!"
ShopKeeper(LA).gif

....is what I want to think but something tells me its just an homemage to the, well, ... remake of a certain game.

Just to think about it, is half the fun. Anyways have a good time everyone.

Last edited:

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
If stage builder gets added, I really hope it works with online play. That'd be excellent!

With 3.0 coming in april, I feel it'll be lots of balance changes again, Joker being added (hell yes!), and I feel like there's some sort of big thing Nintendo is hiding. Is it a stage builder? Is it Stage Morph online? Is it more in-depth hazards toggling? Menu customization? Who knows! Excited though either way.

saiyan.

Feint - Snake Eyes
Theirs a pattern in every patch we have received so far from 1.0 > 2.0. Character adjustments, mostly buffs and tweaks, bug fixes and online gameplay changes. This will still remain for 3.0 and while I’m excited to see stage builder I will personally never touch the thing and am still hoping for major changes to the online. Speak of Microsoft bringing Xbox Live to the Switch with cross-platform play and Xbox achievements being unlocked via my Switch has me thinking Online is about to change.

tiberus8

Smash Cadet
Are you trying to get me angry? Because it's working.
I can tell that you're a very sensitive person. Just because that person's comment about your personal problem makes you angry doesn't mean you should just talk back. Don't do something stupid that you're going to regret later. Let it go. It's not worth the trouble.

And please stop with this silliness. Maybe you'll get what you want in the long run so you can do your...goal from Smash 64 without it being that frustrating, but please...just relax. You're putting too much stress on yourself.

You know, come to think of it, maybe you should back away from the series and the community for a good while, as this seems to be stressing you out. You want to stay a "true fan" of the series? Don't let stress consume you and change your opinion about the series as a whole, because I guarantee that you will end up hating the series if you keep at it. Do something else for a change. Then when you're ready, come back to it. Cheers.

William5000000

Smash Journeyman
I can tell that you're a very sensitive person. Just because that person's comment about your personal problem makes you angry doesn't mean you should just talk back. Don't do something stupid that you're going to regret later. Let it go. It's not worth the trouble.

And please stop with this silliness. Maybe you'll get what you want in the long run so you can do your...goal from Smash 64 without it being that frustrating, but please...just relax. You're putting too much stress on yourself.

You know, come to think of it, maybe you should back away from the series and the community for a good while, as this seems to be stressing you out. You want to stay a "true fan" of the series? Don't let stress consume you and change your opinion about the series as a whole, because I guarantee that you will end up hating the series if you keep at it. Do something else for a change. Then when you're ready, come back to it. Cheers.
Alright. I'm sorry about this whole mess. Really, really sorry. From now on, I'm going to let the "Smash" community decide what needs to be improved, no matter how much I dislike it. Again, I'm really, really sorry.

Please forgive me, everyone. I didn't mean any harm.

Arthur97

Smash Master
If stage builder gets added, I really hope it works with online play. That'd be excellent!

With 3.0 coming in april, I feel it'll be lots of balance changes again, Joker being added (hell yes!), and I feel like there's some sort of big thing Nintendo is hiding. Is it a stage builder? Is it Stage Morph online? Is it more in-depth hazards toggling? Menu customization? Who knows! Excited though either way.
If by online you mean sharing then sure, but in the random pool for matches, not so much. You may underestimate the atrocities some people would make.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
If by online you mean sharing then sure, but in the random pool for matches, not so much. You may underestimate the atrocities some people would make.
Nah I meant in arenas with friends. I don't remember if you could in Smash 4, but I think it would be neat. I'd mess around with it a bunch for sure.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
My hopes:

-Stage Builder of course. Maybe they're adding online sharing hence why it wasn't in base yet.
-More bosses. It's disappointing that more than half of the classic final bosses are the generic Master Hand & Crazy Hand bosses. While it should stay for some if they have a gimmick in the fight(like Pikachu and Pokemon Trainer). Hopefully they replace the Master Hand fights where it feels out of place for the character's route(like Isabelle).
-Of course more single player modes.

Top Bottom