• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Update 10/10* Matches

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Recorded some matches the other day with a friend. He's still learning the ropes, so don't expect much in terms of balanced high level play. Anyway, decided to get a couple Pichu matches in, seeing as how the amount of vids these days is almost non-existent. This is the first time I've touched Pichu in a long time *pre-john* but I figured something's better than nothing seeing how I probably won't be recording anymore again soon. Feel free to comment. :)

Pichu vs CapnChreest (Falco/Doc)

Capn(Plusle) vs N1ck (Minun)

*NEW

Pichu vs Shepp (Marth)

Pichu vs Shepp (Falcon)

Sorry for occasional lag and interlacing. Using old computer to record while I try to repair mine...

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
Awesome video, i learned a few new things watching you play. WHICH IS WHY I"M ALWAYS ASKING FOR VIDEO'S!!.....ahem....

I never seen an reverse bolt before with pichu off stage, and i think that could work well Pichu if timed correctly.

I loved your U-Air Spam, it was pretty funny.

There was only an few things off from what i saw, but nothing noticeable really just to take more risk, avoid getting hit more, and learn a few advanced pichu tech's that all.

I want to see an fast paced pichu playstyle. One thing I learned watching Genesis 2 is that no wants to watch an slow paced match, and pichu is pretty quick all around character. So once we do have an firm meta-game down for pichu we're going to have to spice it up.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Tech chase dthrow.
Your uair is great. and your pichu reminds me of mine :p
Uair is such a great move. One thing you might like to try is uair -> grab at low percent, you may have done it but i just missed it, idk :p
don't use your sideB as much. Only to recover way off stage, its very punishable.

Just read ICGs comments :p

Clubber, you can turn around any B move in the air. I like to use turn around jolts if i need to run away. I'll jump away from my opponent (facing the ledge) and turn around jolt, or jump back to the stage and turn around jolt if they are off stage.

soju

SD God
Side B has very awesome edgeguard potential though ;D

But yeah it's hard to really comment on your playstyle too much since i saw a lot more things done wrong with the falco. I liked your abuse of the usmash, but i think you need to learn how to connect hits more. Pichu is pretty amazing in the fact that almost everyone of his moves can lead to another one, for example all of his aerials can lead to the fsmash at low-mid% except for the uair. I also saw some times where you could have thundered. I'm not completely positive on pichu's thunder but i believe you can hit a fastfaller if they don't di too much at mid% as well with a uair->emo thunder splosion ;D well it works with pika

Also; Playing pichu/pikachu gets you the ladies, i have tested this theory and it is indeed positive.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I know that, i said i never seen it done until now. I'm not new to Melee, i've been playing the game since the game came to America. Why are you suddenly acting like you have more experience playing the game then me?
sorry if i seemed condescending. I was just saying, turn around jolt is pretty nice ^^
It sounded like you don't do turn around jolts ever, so I was just trying to say how they are useful.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I like his pichu :3

it could use some more agilities, but its still pretty fun to watch ^^
besides, too much agility gets you ***** :\

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
*UPDATE* Plusle vs Minun: Which is stronger? Just started hacking and I figured I had to get 1 of these in. This is again against the same friend as before.

Hmmm, thanks for the feedback.

I'll try to work on throwing more, leading aerials into Fsmash, thundering, and not being so boring (Sorry Grim :() I know w/how hard it is to kill w/Pichu getting throwing off the stage is probably almost always a better option than continuing a combo. I'll try to get some Pichu in against Shepp (the only other competent player here) next time, though no telling when that will be...

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Grim, I don't think you've played somebody who knows the pichu matchup. Agility gets you ***** if you abuse it.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Nah, only use it to techchase now really. Agility is too slow, easy to punish. they aren't predicting, they are reacting. smack you while the move is going on.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
Meaning your running into attacks

Did you not see this diagram?

How are you getting hit when you can go twice in all these angles? I've even played mind games on friends (when they use to play) by returning to the same stop, or used it to counter/dodge attacks.

The only thing that can out space Pichu using agility is an dash jump to falcon punch going across Final destination.

Grim could you explain it better, also you really need to update that old guide....

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I'm aware of the angles, the problem is that you are vulnerable the entire time you are doing the move. You obviously don't understand what it means to play somebody who knows the matchup. I've done decent mix ups and still gotten ***** because they can react to it, its not prediction.

Agility has its uses, but if you abuse it you will get punished.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
Aesir i think it must just be you, Grim nor i (when i do get to play) have this problem, i know you don't want to hear this over n over but you've become predictable man.

Stop Fighting It. Learning From It. Over Come It.

Your blaming the game here, when your the player controlling the character. It's you, not Pichu, not Agility, it's YOU.

Go practice evading with agility, and maybe you won't get hit.

soju

SD God
i think, some of the better players can pretty much destroy an agility(ing) pichu. Falco can pretty much laser you from anywhere, fox has shine/usmash which he can catch up or wait for you, Sheik is ghey, a good falcon can grab you out of it, and so on. . . I'm not saying it is a horrible move, but the fact it damages yourself and how you have to pretty much predict your opponent makes it a harder move to use and I believe any pro player can catch on after seeing the 1st or 2nd agility because of playing some friendlies at genesis 2 with pichu worked occasionally but not enough.

*So my overall opinion, Agility is a fun, quick, gimicky move with the same amount of downsides as the good things, works best in catching people off guard but with the higher level of play the higher the probability of it getting hit/grabbed out of it. It's good to run away and get a bit of breathing room but if the opponent is not in any kind of hitstun it can be really dangerous. So I give it a 4/10 in overall usefulness in competitive play, 10/10 if you just want to be boss

Or I can be wrong and just totally suck balls with pichu while you guys are godlike since I main that chubby yet totally sexy pikachu, but who knows :B

@King-Also you probably didn't mean it but that sounded a lil mean >o<

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Soju, you are correct. It shouldn't be used more than twice a match against a good player. What clubbr doesn't realize is that the stuff in shenanigans looks sexy, but doesn't work in real play. Clubber, I'd respect you opinion more if you actually went to tourneys, k bye.

In theory, the move is pretty cool, but people just cover the most options and react to when you try to do it... you are stuck in place right before you agility so they just look for that and its not like you are teleporting or anything.

Go try to agility like crazy in actual play, you get ***** after like the 3rd time you do it.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
Ah forget it, i had another piece of this mess written up, but obviously you can't be help, your being just like i was before i discovered smashboards and realized just how crazy Melee really is. So think what you want, and if going to not respect my word for because i don't go to tournaments, that fine I could care less.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
its not that i don't respect your opinion, its that you obviously aren't that experienced against higher level players.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Not sure if this matters at all, but I regularly play against Monkeybear, one of the best players in Australia, and he definitely knows the Pichu match-up by now. He is also a very aggressive player, not campy at all.

I VERY rarely get punished for using Agility.

soju

SD God
Its different in australia because the toilets flush in different directions and you have giant spiders.

But I really think we're misinterpreting each other on how the agility is used, you can use agility in a number of different ways and still be safe or can be used in a number of ways and get hit ;D

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I use it to simplify the game.

Jump
> Did they try and counter with an aerial?

Yes:
Nair > Combo/Reset positions

No:
>Are they going to punish your landing?

Yes:
Agility to make it less predictable > Reset positions.

No:
Land > Reset positions.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
ok i talked to ICG about this and he agree that agility should never be abused, using it too much gets you *****.

the only time i use agility now is to grab a ledge or to run away on big stages like kongo or dreamland.
It occasionally is a good mind game or movement technique, but it shouldn't be used as such more than twice a match.

Pi

Smash Hero
there is no specific way a move should be used in melee
as long as it's effective and doesn't get punished then it was used successfully
you can't be told how to play the game you have to figure it out on your own, so debating about when a move works and when it doesn't is meaningless

at best you can merely prepare one another for potential situations in which a move might get predicted/punished and ways to counter said predictions/punishes

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
Let me make sure I understand you guys before putting in my 2c. Are you talking about strictly using it for evasive purposes, or also as a follow up when your opp. gets knocked far away?

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
This pichu needs quite a bit of work, but it looks like it has potiential when it's not doing random stuff. I did have to say the last match against falco was pretty tight. I like how you kept it together. A few things of advice. Try sweetspotting UpBs, and try to use grabs to your advantage, Use USmash on a 0% falco to get 2 quick hits to around 35-40 percent, and nair whenever you have a good chance to. :D

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
New matches*

Pichu vs Marth

Pichu vs Falcon

Notes: This is the only other person in my city who plays(ed) competitively. However, don't let these be a good representation of his skill; He's just as good, if not better than me, and I'm sure would beat me as Pichu solidly if we were both going all out. Also, sorry for the occasional lag. Computer's old and I guess can't handle copying large files while recording simultaneously. :c

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
watched the marth match.

Nice use of Dtilt early on.
Practice sweetspotting the ledge. killing yourself is never fun.
Don't use SideB when you are close to the stage. its super punishable.
Try using Dsmash as an edgeguard (didn't watch the falcon match yet, but dsmash ***** his recovery)
Also, jolts can go around the ledge and mess up characters that have to be close to the side like marth.
You do standing techs a lot.
You probably want to bair a little more against marth. tis fun.
practice recovering a little better... you are kinda predictable and use sideB kind of dumb.

overall, nicely done. thats a hard matchup.

Top Bottom