• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Update 1/7* Light/Forte VIDEOS (NEW** Mini Hobo 13 Videos)

boxelder

Smash Apprentice
Wow, people are getting better fast. Great matches! Thank you and keep them coming. Seems every day we're seeing more. There was easily as much action and skill here as a mele match.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Nice vids guys. Seen some really nice arial combat ( which was sakurai's intention I guess)
How long have you been playing?
Got a question abbout pit's arrow. I played yesterday and I couldn't figure out yet when you determine the direction and if you have to angle diagonal up or diagonal down. Is it before or after you shoot? I noticed holding down and pressing b send in in a curved angle downwards but I couldn't get it up on command yet.

Also how do I glide. I was gliding after 2 jumps or something but you should be able to do it immiatly I would guess.

Pit's bair is really strong huh ^^

K1T3

Smash Lord
except the one where i kill myself three times don't watch that one ;_;
Yeah that was sad =( Your meta was nice aside from that though.
Are you fsmashing/tilting from your shield or are you just letting go of shield then hitting Pit. I can't tell... If you're attacking from shield that's pretty cool. How do you do it?
Also I saw you dash to standing A attack. Did you just let the dash end then attack or shield cancel to attack?

Good matches though guys. Hope yall get more up.

WhiteDragon

Smash Cadet
SO happy other people recognized the E7 stuff...I'm not the only one who's obsessed ^_^

Oh and um yeah...those vids made me consider giving Zelda another thought for main. She looks WAY more powerful than I thought she was O_O

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
no its not like mewtwo other than the neutral B, thats the only thing similar
I beg to differ. Maybe if you said that other than neutral B, neutral air, his fair being extremely similar but with his foot (same goes with his uptilt and to an extent his dtilt), his upsmash having incredibly similar mechanics, his downsmash for having similar visual elements, his upB being the closest thing to being a teleport without it being a teleport, pretty much the same fsmash, and around the same speed as mewtwo you would have been right, but you didn't.

That said, I loved the Lucario vids. I was able to get a glimpse at the nuances of several of Lucario's moves that I haven't been able to due to people not knowing how to properly employ them. Forte's so far the best, and most agressive, Lucario player I've seen so far. Keep it up.

boxelder

Smash Apprentice
I guess people who said Metaknight had no knockout power didn't get much practice with off stage attacks. He looks like the new king of them. Easier recovery means more fights out of bounds for a lot of characters, which is awesome.

boxelder

Smash Apprentice
MookieRah, weren't you just ranting the other day about the how this game is going to be horribly broken? Where's all the shield grab abuse? Where's the overly defensive gameplay? Stop acting like you know it all because you actually know considerably less than some of these people.

iLight

Smash Lord
Nice vids guys. Seen some really nice arial combat ( which was sakurai's intention I guess)
How long have you been playing?
Got a question abbout pit's arrow. I played yesterday and I couldn't figure out yet when you determine the direction and if you have to angle diagonal up or diagonal down. Is it before or after you shoot? I noticed holding down and pressing b send in in a curved angle downwards but I couldn't get it up on command yet.

Also how do I glide. I was gliding after 2 jumps or something but you should be able to do it immiatly I would guess.

Pit's bair is really strong huh ^^
we've been play competetively for maybe a couple of years but not nearly as long as melee has been out, you determine the direction of the arrow other than straight up and straight forward right after it is shot. I also noticed to glide you must jump twice and also cannot do it on the last jump.

Red Impact

Smash Cadet
I beg to differ. Maybe if you said that other than neutral B, neutral air, his fair being extremely similar but with his foot (same goes with his uptilt and to an extent his dtilt), his upsmash having incredibly similar mechanics, his downsmash for having similar visual elements, his upB being the closest thing to being a teleport without it being a teleport, pretty much the same fsmash, and around the same speed as mewtwo you would have been right, but you didn't.
Haha, gotta hand it to Mookie to be persistent. :laugh:

Sorry man, but he slammed the last nail into THAT coffin.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
MookieRah, weren't you just ranting the other day about the how this game is going to be horribly broken? Where's all the shield grab abuse? Where's the overly defensive gameplay? Stop acting like you know it all because you actually know considerably less than some of these people.
Umm... that was a few months ago. At the time, nobody really knew exactly how Brawl was going to pan out, and I actually spent time to analyze information and work on an opinion rather than being ridiculously optimistic despite there not being much evidence to really support Brawl being as nice as it is shaping up now.

I was simply speculating upon something based on limited info. I was HOPING I was wrong.

That said, if you have been looking around the general brawl discussion you would have known that my stance has changed drastically over the course of the past few weeks as new information has been brought to the plate.

I'm actually arguing in favor of the new engine as it offers a decent amount of new techniques that are, for the better part, quite intuitive and not as cryptic as a lot of the advanced techniques in melee. A big part of this view is that seemingly the characters were designed to have aerial attacks that can be used efficiently without lag due to the fact that you could simply time the attack so that you landed after the animation was completely over. This negates shield grabbing from being such a prevalent problem because once again skill will grant you access around what would otherwise be laggy as hell.

As far as Lucario goes, there are a huge list of similarities between him and Mewtwo. If people actually gave Mewtwo a chance competitively in Melee they would all realize this. A lot of my predictions about Lucario's moveset have come true simply because I was aware of the similarities. I pretty much go over it in it's entirety in my thread in the Lucario boards.
Haha, gotta hand it to Mookie to be persistent. :laugh:
I agree with this statement.
Sorry man, but he slammed the last nail into THAT coffin.
Mangz, if you me well enough to know of my persistance then you should also know that I make excellent rebuttals. Don't count me out so soon.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
AH ok. I meant played brawl ofcourse. I think I saw some of your melee vids. Thnx for the info. Highspeed air battles definetly is unique to brawl.

forute

Smash Ace
Ahh thanks for the compliments everyone haha

I got Brawl the day it came out, so we've been playing just about a week now.

For gliding, just hold the jump button down after a midair jump

I'm not attacking from shield, usually I just drop it then attack.
And for dash to jab, I just end the dash and attack, Meta Knight can do it really fast. It's easy to accidentally go into his jab attack from anything on the ground (Even if landing from a glide) so you have to be careful with him

And yeah Zelda is awesome now, she got so many improvements from Melee (But probably not enough to get her past mid tier)
One of the coolest ones is that the dair now sweetspots like her fair/bair, you can see it in the Zelda vs G&W vid at Lylat Cruise (Which may be misnamed, but it's there somewhere) at about 0:40

WhiteDragon

Smash Cadet
Ahh thanks for the compliments everyone haha

I got Brawl the day it came out, so we've been playing just about a week now.

For gliding, just hold the jump button down after a midair jump

I'm not attacking from shield, usually I just drop it then attack.
And for dash to jab, I just end the dash and attack, Meta Knight can do it really fast. It's easy to accidentally go into his jab attack from anything on the ground (Even if landing from a glide) so you have to be careful with him

And yeah Zelda is awesome now, she got so many improvements from Melee (But probably not enough to get her past mid tier)
One of the coolest ones is that the dair now sweetspots like her fair/bair, you can see it in the Zelda vs G&W vid at Lylat Cruise (Which may be misnamed, but it's there somewhere) at about 0:40
Meh, don't care about tiers anymore...realized it's much more fun to play the character you actually feel comfortable with and not feel like you suck if you lose to broken ones :)

-ADA-

Smash Apprentice
In Melee that's exactly what I felt. T.T But now it's a whole new beginning.

That Zelda spike was awesome. >=]

I think Forte has the best Zelda I've seen too.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
So Ryuker and Light. Would you mind giving me some Pit advice and trying a few things out for me.

The first thing I want to know about is Pit's up B. What happens if you do it while your on the ground? Do you stay close to the ground at the beggining of it? If that's the case, does Pit have any extremely low lag aerials that he can use during this time to "pillar" a shield (or at least one that he can do without being shield grabbed).

Next I just want to know how much control you have over the arrows. I know you can fire them up or sideways, but are there any angles inbetween? And about how far would you say the curve goes? The most drastic curve I saw in the video was about 45 degrees.

Also, how effective is glide canceling with Pit? I'd assume that since he's mostly an aerial character he wouldn't be trying to combo from it much, but can a glide canceled attack get you a free grab?

iLight

Smash Lord
So Ryuker and Light. Would you mind giving me some Pit advice and trying a few things out for me.

The first thing I want to know about is Pit's up B. What happens if you do it while your on the ground? Do you stay close to the ground at the beggining of it? If that's the case, does Pit have any extremely low lag aerials that he can use during this time to "pillar" a shield (or at least one that he can do without being shield grabbed).

Next I just want to know how much control you have over the arrows. I know you can fire them up or sideways, but are there any angles inbetween? And about how far would you say the curve goes? The most drastic curve I saw in the video was about 45 degrees.

Also, how effective is glide canceling with Pit? I'd assume that since he's mostly an aerial character he wouldn't be trying to combo from it much, but can a glide canceled attack get you a free grab?
To be honest i'm not that great at gliding yet so i have not really tried to glide cancel alot, but see the next paragraph to something you can try.

um unless you glide cancel alot of pit's air moves have a decent amount of lag so as for pillaring with pit i don't really think it would work out that well though i will try out what you are saying. However it is possible to avoid getting grabbed if you can mind game them into trying to grab by jumping again right before you do your per say dair with pit you can stay high enough above their shield not to get grabbed though you may still get hit depending on who your fighting.

As for the arrows there is definately a limit as to how much you can control them and there is also to put it a "blind spot" in the area that the arrows can hit, so per say on the ground you can curve them up to a certain degree and also curve them sideways to a certain degree after shooting upwards, but theres a decent sized area in between which you cant hit. which is why in my videos i jump and fire arrows alot to hit these places.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Uhm about up b . I don't know completely but you can fly at a low angle. I only used it after atleast 1 jump but if you aim it close to the ground then do and arial it setups for other attacks. Pillaring doesn't seem like a option though. Every time I attacked a shield and it wasn't well spaced I got grabbed. I never tried to use up b like that though. Definetly not something to try at very high percentage cause if they hit you you lose your up B and your jumps as far as I experienced and you don't want that since you can't aim your airdodge towards the stage like in melee.

If I look at light video's you can actually make the arrows move like a wave so up and down in 1 flight.

Dunno about glide cancelling still need to figure that out. What i do know is that it sets up for other attacks.

I don't have the game myself so I can't test anything yet. I'mma play it friday again though. I'll try to tell any new discoveries.

iLight

Smash Lord
yah sorry about the up b you can basically hover across the ground like peach can but when you use a move you stop flying after that and you can do that directly from the ground or fly into it

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Thanks for the info guys.

Just a few more things.

What moves would you consider Pit's primary kill moves? From the videos I noticed he has a strong bair, and that high percents his foward smash is a good option, but is there anything else?

You said Pit's air moves have a lot of lag. Is that landing lag you're talking about, because in the air he seems like quite an agile character.

I've also got something interesting you guys might wanna try. I'm sure you're both away of RAR. Well I was wondering if you can get the same effect by Up Bing instead of jumping. If you can, then you can immediately cancel the up B with a bair what I think would be a great way to sneak in a finisher.

If you guys ever want to experiment with glide cancel followups, then clue me in. I might have a few suggestions.

P.S. you guys are really good considering how long brawl's been out. I hope I'll be able to catch up. lol.

P.S.S. It's weird seeing 4 posts in a row with the same avatar. I only found my post because of my sig.:laugh:

iLight

Smash Lord
lag time wise i was talking about when he lands, and his other kill moves i would consider his dair at high percent, as well as his dsmash, forward tilt is also good, up smash

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Well, that's good to know. I look foward to seeing some more matches of you guys. You filming anything within the next month? (just for some mental analysis before I actually get the game)

iLight

Smash Lord
yah i'll be doing some more filming tonight, and also in retrospect pits fair is decent for killing too, its all based on how often you use it and whether you sweet spot or not, also in the concept that you were talking about, it wouldnt be practical to up b all the time because if you get hit in it unless its like almost right after you use it, you lose all your jumps and cant use it again

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Up air can also kill pretty well. The last hit send them really far. Not as far as bair though I think. Even his dash attack can be used to kill If I recall correctly.

iLight

Smash Lord
yah, pit can end up getting people up really high the way i play it before they get a kill and especially against forte who's real good at shield/dodge tactics so alot of my moves turn into finishers around like 140-170

YSM

Smash Apprentice
That Forte guy is my freakin' hero!!

>_>
*cough*
And mine. I've been DESPERATE to see someone who doesn't totally suck with Lucario, and you completely dominate with him. It's good to see one of my possible mains does indeed have some potential.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
also in the concept that you were talking about, it wouldnt be practical to up b all the time because if you get hit in it unless its like almost right after you use it, you lose all your jumps and cant use it again
Well, I've used up Bs offensively before, with Marth no less. I'm thinking this would be more of a mindgame kind of thing rather than a spammable approach. Just saying it's an option that I'll be messing with. It's one of the few up bs that can be canceled and I want to exploit it in anyway I can.

After all, I'm using Sonic's up B for tech chasing, and edgeguarding, and punishing from my shield instead of shield grabbing, and a lot of other stuff. Although it's helpfull to know that he can't up B again if he gets hit out of it. I'll have to be more carefull with this tactic.

It's gonna feel wierd having people live till 170% though. After playing Marth for so long, anything over 100% worries me (because combos stop working). But with Pit having a lot of high percent kill options, I guess I won't have to worry as much about landing that finisher before "that percentage."

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
Your a really talented player i wouldn't mind playing you if you have some time when brawl comes out i'm getting it on Feb 21st so maybe we can play then :)

K1T3

Smash Lord

So I'm not Ryuker or Light but I've played Pit some so thought I'd answer some things that didn't seem clearified.

Doing Pit's upB on the ground sends up a decent ways up, about sh distance I think, before you can do anything so I would not recommend doing it on the ground. You can jump and immediately upB for the float effect though and attack out of that and lower to the ground. That can be useful at lower percents so messing up doesn't knock you off and get you killed. As far as using it as an alternative to RARing it can work but you still have to reverse your jump to float bair, but yeah lets you do it closer to ground.

They answered the arrow things already. Jump and curve arrows are ****. But frankly just learn positioning. Jumping, standing on the ground, being on a platform, you'll generally be able to position yourself so you can hit with an arrow somehow.

Glide canceling ***** pretty good. It's of course situational but if they shield it you can easily jab after to prevent shield grab and if behind then you can get the free grab as you stated. It'll probably take a bit to get used to doing it and can of course be risky, but I think it's at least worth learning. As far as using it to combo, you probably can since it cancels all the lag but I never got any off as I was still getting used to it and always just ended up jabbing out of it...

As far as killing it's best to follow them and kill them off the side or top if you can. Else I arrow spammed to recharge my Fsmash and Bair and tried to kill with those and like they said at really high percents you can kill with most things.

WAAASSSUUUPP

Smash Apprentice
Awesome games guys! The gameplay seemed so **** fast, maybe melee speed XD The only thing better than you guys was the music, ****ing love Eureka SeveN, possibly my favourite anime. ****, all the characters look so good. How balanced do you think Brawl is, because honestly it seems MUCH more balanced than Melee, even though Pit does have a broken recovery and spammable projectiles =p Once again, great vids, and even more awesome music. Boy, do I miss Eureka SeveN a lot =(

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
Loving the Pit/Metaknight matches, the aerial scuffles are really fun to watch.

iLight

Smash Lord
Sonicwave, i tried some of your ideas in my videos last night, its too hard to make your characters attack/spike down the fast enough from the upB all the time, and its just too dangerous to make a habit of it

Top Bottom