• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Update 1.0.4 Released!

DarkKiru

Smash Cadet
The thing is that Rosalina has a huge advantage that no other character has, which is the ability to attack out of hitstun using Luma.
Fair enough points, out of curiosity when you say this (the stuff I quoted); can the Rosa player actually input commands while in hitstun with Luma acting on his own, or will Luma simply finish moves he'd already started before Rosa got knocked into hitstun?

Played quite a bit of Rosalina matchups for the 2 or 3 weeks i've had the game, haven't seen this happen yet (either that or it has but I didn't notice it)

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
He does have reasonable knockback. a 90% lucario has a chunk less knockback than Ike or Gannondorf
They're big bruisers. Lucario is not. Sounds like 75% aura is fine for him.

And did you know that Gannondorf and Ike can KO people who are at 60% far easier than lucario? Gannondorf only has to do a zero charge forward smash and the KO is his while Lucario has to use a high charge or hope his back air lands. (which by the way Lucario has pretty terrible range on pretty much all his attacks)
Ganondorf is far slower and less mobile than Lucario. He has to work to get and land hits while for Lucario it's generally much easier. Also, I don't know why you're focusing on bair, SideB and UpSmash kill just as well.

Lucario gets rewarded for surviving by getting more power and his opponent is punished for not finishing off Lucario by getting hit harder. If hes surviving at crazy high % thats more the fault of his opponent because lucario is very easy to KO at 90%+
Uhh, no. Lucario's weight is 99, 1 higher than Mario. Most characters kill him at 120-130%. His recovery is also very good and is hard for most characters to intercept.

Fair enough points, out of curiosity when you say this (the stuff I quoted); can the Rosa player actually input commands while in hitstun with Luma acting on his own, or will Luma simply finish moves he'd already started before Rosa got knocked into hitstun?

Played quite a bit of Rosalina matchups for the 2 or 3 weeks i've had the game, haven't seen this happen yet (either that or it has but I didn't notice it)
You can input attacks for Luma at any time. While Rosa's grabbed, in hitstun, doing something else, or even dying off the top.

Last edited:

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
~15% for most characters.
Actually I tested this, its at minimum 25% average without vectoring (and even 1% less damage results in no KO) and less if its Jigglypuff and Toon Link.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Actually I tested this, its at minimum 25% average without vectoring (and even 1% less damage results in no KO) and less if its Jigglypuff and Toon Link.
Did you test it in Training Mode? Training mode isn't reliable for kill percents, it doesn't apply the 5% freshness bonus (KO punch will always be fresh since you can't use it often), and it also ignores Mac's Rage bonus. He usually has about 80% damage by the time he gets the move.

15% is indeed about accurate on most of the cast. Heavies like Bowser need a little more.

Last edited:

tm730

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4227-1256-0282
Then just fix him to have reasonable knockback. The idea is basically just that his knockback should be in line with everyone else at all times. He shouldn't have any points where he's unreasonably weak or strong.

When he has full aura he hits preposterously hard, getting kills in the 60% range, which no character should be able to get without a gimp. He can be at 150% vs 50% and win the match with one hit, which just shouldn't happen.

Rage is definitely also part of the problem, but "take damage and gain knockback" is just a bad mechanic in general. Aura is a poor mechanic for the same reason that Rage should be removed.
those hits that kill are slow

im talking like, even if you do a down smash on an opponent rolling behind you you'll still miss

Lucario aint heavy, why he is at 150% surviving anyway?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
At least Little Mac can't hold the charge forever, so getting pelted by items a lot could cause him to lose the charge, losing his KO Uppercut opportunity during the process.

tm730

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4227-1256-0282
Did you test it in Training Mode? Training mode isn't reliable for kill percents, it doesn't apply the 5% freshness bonus (KO punch will always be fresh since you can't use it often), and it also ignores Mac's Rage bonus. He usually has about 80% damage by the time he gets the move.

15% is indeed about accurate on most of the cast. Heavies like Bowser need a little more.
regardless that aint much

little mac can do 25 off of a jab combo never mind 15

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
those hits that kill are slow

im talking like, even if you do a down smash on an opponent rolling behind you you'll still miss
Uhh, Down Smash has always been a good roll punish move. Also, his kill moves got better since Brawl and he can edgeguard decently too. The fact that his command grab kills pretty much instantly gives him better kill options than a fairly substantial portion of the cast.

Lucario aint heavy, why he is at 150% surviving anyway?
He's actually slightly heavier than average and has good recovery. His weight is only 5 units less than Yoshi.

Moreover, the fact that he is so inordinately dangerous at 130%+ forces you to go for safer options against him. Going for a read that might get an earlier kill is so dangerous that it helps him survive longer. Certainly, he doesn't get to 150% on every stock, but it's really not an uncommon occurrence.

At least Little Mac can't hold the charge forever, so getting pelted by items a lot could cause him to lose the charge, losing his KO Uppercut opportunity during the process.
Yes, but he only has to land one to completely turn the game around. He doesn't need to make every one count.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Probably because it could've been used for recovery purposes, making Launch Star not get used as much for horizontal recoveries.
Yeah, that explains it, it's not like there are characters with more than one move for horizontal recoveries....

*cough cough*
:4drmario::4luigi::4peach:(hover):4yoshi:(sort of):4sheik:(sorf of) :4ganondorf::4falcon::4falco::4fox::wolf::4pikachu::4zss::4samus::4diddy::4metaknight::4villager::4darkpit::4pit::4dedede::4kirby::4jigglypuff::4charizard:(fly+sideB):4shulk::4sonic::4pacman:(sort of) :mewtwopm:(hover too)
*cough*

Last edited:

Rysir

NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387

15% is indeed about accurate on most of the cast.
No I tested it in for glory. *I also have been hit by it a few times while also surviving*

And I said a chunk less than Gannondorf and Ike, not slightly or even similar and Lucario is a glass cannon at high aura in which he can hit hard like a big character but has absolutely none of the durability. And my Gannondorf point was that his Fsmash is faster with about the same range as lucario but has superior kill power than a higher aura lucario.

And very very much no, Force palm has zero kill potential till Lucario is over 100% and have a 70% or so target be standing near the ledge and upsmash cant KO unless mostly charged till lucario is at 130+ with the target at 70%, and well jeeze I dont even need to fully explain, Lucario does not have a kill range outside of oppoents sitting near the ledge and letting an attack hit them as even at 120% lucario's kill moves need at least some charge time to KO early.

Also Villager has a better recovery than lucario and he does not even need aura buffs to do circles over and under the stage easily.

A lucario getting a low % KO happens when the target gets shanked near the edge of the stage and requires a badly hurt lucario which again is the fault of the opponent, but if the lucario is the reason that person is at that KO ready part of the stage then that lucario outplayed them.

Last edited:

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
I would love for falco's dair to be less laggy. I would also short hop laser with falco and fox.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
And very very much no, Force palm has zero kill potential till Lucario is over 100% and have a 70% or so target be standing near the ledge and upsmash cant KO unless mostly charged till lucario is at 130+ with the target at 70%
70% isn't kill range in this game, though, almost no one can kill at that range outside of like Bowser's charged FSmash. For a move to be considered a kill move it should kill around 110-130% if reasonably fresh, which both USmash and SideB will do.

Also Villager has a better recovery than lucario and he does not even need aura buffs to do circles over and under the stage easily.
Yes but Villager has a host of other issues to offset his amazing recovery. Lucario is much more well-rounded as a character.

Rysir

NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
70% isn't kill range in this game, though, almost no one can kill at that range outside of like Bowser's charged FSmash. For a move to be considered a kill move it should kill around 110-130% if reasonably fresh, which both USmash and SideB will do.

Yes but Villager has a host of other issues to offset his amazing recovery. Lucario is much more well-rounded as a character.
40% can be a kill range in this game, have you seen a Captain Falcon go to work on on someone?
But anyway look at what Lucario has to go through in order to make 70% be kill range: He has to be heavily damaged to the point pretty much anything except an A combo can KO him. The usual KO range in this game is around 100% and Lucario needs to go above and beyond that to have any kind of early kill.

DarkKiru

Smash Cadet
40% can be a kill range in this game, have you seen a Captain Falcon go to work on on someone?
But anyway look at what Lucario has to go through in order to make 70% be kill range: He has to be heavily damaged to the point pretty much anything except an A combo can KO him. The usual KO range in this game is around 100% and Lucario needs to go above and beyond that to have any kind of early kill.
In theory, there are people who can kill you at 0% (albeit you have to do something REALLY dumb for it to happen; but most counters will definitely do it)

Most counters can reasonably kill you even for attempting uncharged smashes at like, 60% or so honestly (I've seen Shulk w/ Monado: smash active, kill Sheik at around 50% for just attempting an uncharged dsmash). Sure they arn't the most reliable thing, but they exist.

Does Lucario's counter follow the same rule as everyone else (that is to say, the more damage you try to hit him with; the stronger the counterattack)?

Rysir

NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
In theory, there are people who can kill you at 0% (albeit you have to do something REALLY dumb for it to happen; but most counters will definitely do it)

Most counters can reasonably kill you even for attempting uncharged smashes at like, 60% or so honestly (I've seen Shulk w/ Monado: smash active, kill Sheik at around 50% for just attempting an uncharged dsmash). Sure they arn't the most reliable thing, but they exist.

Does Lucario's counter follow the same rule as everyone else (that is to say, the more damage you try to hit him with; the stronger the counterattack)?
Honestly I never paid much attention as more often then not my counter gets shielded and since it can never break a shield or do absurd damage when countering a warlock punch Im probably gonna say it follows its own rules of functioning on aura levels. I really have not had a low aura counter kill like ever.

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, yeah, I think we can all agree that Mac needs some serious buffs in his ground game, maybe more range in his punches and more kill power and he would be just fine....

Jokes aside.

Nobody here considers him to be top tier anyways, some even think he's mid or low tier, so i don't get all the nerfing requests.

This are the percentage were Mac's KO punch for all the characters, if they VI down. Without Rage effect.

http://berathen.com/learntosmash/little-mac-ko-percents.php

39% for Bowser without rage
42% for D3.

We all know his air game is **** so he has half the options a normal charater would and that's huge in competitive play, compensating this with a good ground game is ideal, but ALSO giving him the worst recovery in the game is just ridiculous. So he has a ridiculous move to compensate for this (and is not that ridiculous anyways, because he can use it one time for stock but he can be spiked from almost 0% and he would die) And with this he has the worst grab and shield grab , and one of the slowest dash to shield in game, so taking away his super armor is taking away his one effective mean to defense himself.

If he's not Top Tier material, why nerfing him? And if he is nerfed, i hope great buffs for his weaknesses.

tm730

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4227-1256-0282

no it scales with aura only

Honestly I never paid much attention as more often then not my counter gets shielded and since it can never break a shield or do absurd damage when countering a warlock punch Im probably gonna say it follows its own rules of functioning on aura levels. I really have not had a low aura counter kill like ever.
when lucario is over 80 it kills like at 85-90 ish

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Palutena's tilts and smash attacks are SO SLOW.
They need to make these attacks faster...or at least extremely powerful.
And the hitbox of her Up Tilt is really bad.
And the counter is weak, Lucina's is much better.

Meta Knight and Kirby need more range.
Falco needs less lag in his Down Air and Blaster.

Lucario needs less power and/or speed in his Smash Attacks.
Luma needs less kill power.

I'm excited about the patch :D

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't think Rosalina will get nerfed any further than just increasing the time it takes for a new Luma to spawn.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I don't necessarily agree with nerfing Luma so soon, but I can understand why. I question if the decision came from the players or the balancing team. Especially with all the features coming in updates, I'm starting to think they're a bit behind schedule.

Well, whatever. I hope Pit and Dark Pit get buffed, blah blah blah.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I wonder in what Nintendo is using as the base for the chances needed for the game. Players feedback? Tourney results (In Japan)? For Glory?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't necessarily agree with nerfing Luma so soon, but I can understand why. I question if the decision came from the players or the balancing team. Especially with all the features coming in updates, I'm starting to think they're a bit behind schedule.

Well, whatever. I hope Pit and Dark Pit get buffed, blah blah blah.
One can wonder if the changes to the Luma's respawn time has something to do with the players who are always whining about Rosalina being broken. And the odd part is that Rosalina was never broken to begin with.

DarkKiru

Smash Cadet
I wonder in what Nintendo is using as the base for the chances needed for the game. Players feedback? Tourney results (In Japan)? For Glory?
Ideally with most fighting games, you'd want to look at high level play. Thats where most imbalanced stuff is usually used to its fullest effect, you can get a pretty good idea of who is strong there as well.

I really hope they arn't using for glory as a measure (or player feedback for the most part since we know how that can be sometimes), mostly because its likely to give an extremely inaccurate result in terms of strength for various reasons.

Edit: Player feedback can work, you just need to consult the right people. Notably you need to make sure the person you're asking genuinely knows what their talking about in regards to balance.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I'm honestly surprised they increased the luma timer so much. 8.5 s --> 12 is almost 150%. I would've liked to see 10s as it would be more intuitive and not as extreme. I wonder if 12 seconds corresponds with some kind of stalling strategy...

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Ideally with most fighting games, you'd want to look at high level play. Thats where most imbalanced stuff is usually used to its fullest effect, you can get a pretty good idea of who is strong there as well.

I really hope they arn't using for glory as a measure (or player feedback for the most part since we know how that can be sometimes), mostly because its likely to give an extremely inaccurate result in terms of strength for various reasons.

Edit: Player feedback can work, you just need to consult the right people. Notably you need to make sure the person you're asking genuinely knows what their talking about in regards to balance.
Yes, ideally... Though what is ideal for the Japanese competitive scene is not the same for the NA scene, since the players there fight always on Final Destination (right? that is what I read here on SB a couple times). I do think they should have For Glory in mind, though, since it sort of is the main online mode of the game and it would suck to see it being neglected when it comes to balancing characters.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
One can wonder if the changes to the Luma's respawn time has something to do with the players who are always whining about Rosalina being broken. And the odd part is that Rosalina was never broken to begin with.
I really don't know about that. Pit and Dark Pit, known for having neutral matchups across the board, typically struggle with Rosalina. Even with DP's Electroshock, which'll OHKO Luma most of the time, it's a difficult matchup.

Maybe she's broken. Maybe she just has polarizing matchups. I'm fairly inexperienced with SSB in general and especially Rosalina, but something just doesn't feel right.

Just a reminder: The game is being balanced around essentially two things. Fun FFAs, and Glory 1v1s. They don't care if she's useless in a tournament environment, that's not what they're balancing for. They're balancing for FD only, no customs whatsoever, and even for sudden death instead of % lead.

Bighands-Senpai

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-4982-0219
They need to reduce the lag of most of Meta Knight's attacks. Somewhere between Brawl and current MK would do the trick. Otherwise he's doomed to having really awful openings between attacks. This also needs to happen for Palutena; at least with her tilts.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
They need to reduce the lag of most of Meta Knight's attacks. Somewhere between Brawl and current MK would do the trick. Otherwise he's doomed to having really awful openings between attacks. This also needs to happen for Palutena; at least with her tilts.
I'd say an increase of range would do the trick. Maybe slightly less ending lag. Meta Knight got hit hard to make sure he isn't broken in tournaments this time, perhaps TOO hard.

DaRedMage

Smash Cadet
I'm calling it!

Little Mac: Removed wall jumping.

Rosalina: Luma respwan time longer

Duck Hunt: Specials have a lot more ending lag

Ness: Fair back to it's former glory

Marth: Sword range increased to that of Brawl's

Mr. Game and Watch: Bucket Braking is back, back aireal has a bit less ending lag

Wii Fit Trainers: Moves are more faster and have less ending lag

Ganondrof: Much faster almost to how he was in Melee but he's a bit weaker

That's all I could think of.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Rosalina doesn't even need to be nerfed at all whatsoever as she's perfectly well balanced as it is. I mean really, all I'm hearing is excuses, excuses and even more excuses about her. The same goes for Little Mac.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina doesn't even need to be nerfed at all whatsoever as she's perfectly well balanced as it is. I mean really, all I'm hearing is excuses, excuses and even more excuses about her. The same goes for Little Mac.
Quoted for truth. The change to the Luma's respawn time seems unwarranted, as it means that Rosalina will have to stay in defense mode for a longer time period if she's trying to survive.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Quoted for truth. The change to the Luma's respawn time seems unwarranted, as it means that Rosalina will have to stay in defense mode for a longer time period if she's trying to survive.
...Typically helping those with bad matchups with her.

A few questions to all Rosalina players present: How do you play? What rules? What's her ideal stage, and do customs help or hurt her? And finally, how far do her matchups swing?

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Having a get-out-of-jail free card to escape from grabs, combos, etc. when no other character has something similar...I'd call that anything but balanced. Basic, universal fighting game fundamentals don't apply to your character as long as that damn Luma exists.

Last edited:

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
i'd have to agree, i have no issues with rosalina. shes a threat, especially a good one, but shes counterable.
I dont normally do this for any game but i hope they nerf mac to the ground to uselessness not because hes op and i cant beat him but because he completely twists the way the game plays and is 0 fun to face, even if its a crap mac. Rosalina is atleast interesting to face because you kinda have to treat it like 2v1, but not really.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
If he's not Top Tier material, why nerfing him? And if he is nerfed, i hope great buffs for his weaknesses.
Yeah that's why my suggestion was to greatly buff his air game while bringing his ground game down a tad. LM is such an extreme character that he can be top tier on some stages and bottom tier on others, which just shouldn't happen. I'd still keep him as a ground specialist, but not to that degree.

Mii Brawler is basically who LM would be if he was a legitimate character.

It's not a coincidence that the only people who don't think Rosalina is somewhat busted are Rosalina players. There's a virtually 99% consensus that she's either the best character in the game or second best. Only Olimar boasts that same level of agreement on his tier position.

Last edited:
Top Bottom