• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upcoming G&W MM vs. Tink's Fox

Galt

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to MM Tink's Fox with G&W at the upcoming giant tournament in San Antonio later this month. Also Sethlon's Roy. Just a general heads-up. Feel free to post any anti-Fox strategies/ideas you've got. And if anyone has any ideas on how G&W is supposed to edgeguard Roy, certainly share.

Kips

Smash Ace
Spanimals can be juggled (literally) by his throws fairly well. Don't rely on it too much and don't forget to bucket his lasers! Don't be set on bucketing them enough to be mindgamed, but bucketing three lasers and then suddenly throwing them back at him later in the match can make a big difference. I'd say just be careful and space your aerials well and keep the pressure up so he can't rack up easy laser damage.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
for Roy, grab the edge and edge jump into d-Air, it works well(bounces him off the wall)

Kips

Smash Ace
I'd say that G&W really needs to dodge the U-SMashes with Fox too. U-Airs are deadly so try to keep him above you or level with you. Sweetspot the ledge as much as possible with Fire, unless it's on Battlefield.

j00t

Smash Champion
I'd say that G&W really needs to dodge the U-SMashes with Fox too. U-Airs are deadly so try to keep him above you or level with you. Sweetspot the ledge as much as possible with Fire, unless it's on Battlefield.
If he's good at Smash DI he can escape Fox's uair no problem. He just needs to avoid the upsmashes.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
my advice is...

don't mm tink, play for honor and lose that instead of money. trust me, you'll lose (don't think I'm saying your bad, I'm just saying he's too good). I played him a lot of times against his Luigi with my Fox and I got destroyed! and I usually match up against cunning kitsune pretty well

alphameric

Smash Ace
chaingrab the fox, and make use of your fair and nair.
Handy trick is to dtilt him at low percent, chances are he wont go very high and will try to di away, at which point you follow up with a wd->usmash or dsmash->nair.

for recovering, try to overshoot the ledge a bit against fox since he will obviously try to shine spike and you'll need the extra height if he hits you.

for getting back on the stage against roy, watch for the side-b spike and charged b. Get back on the stage with a uair or fair. The uair should put him right into a flag, and the fair should line him up for another :p

Galt

Smash Journeyman
I fought several matches against Sethlon at the previous installment of this tournament, and they were all rather close, resulting in them being entertaining fights. That's the main impetus there, especially since my G&W is feeling pump'd lately and I'm pretty sure I've got a decent chance at winning the MM (if you're reading this, Sethlon, LET'S GET NUTS). We may even be able to record the matches, if he's in agreement...

As for Tink, I didn't challenge him with an intent to win. It's kind of the opposite: he's a (really) good player, and I know I'll lose, so that makes it harder for me to really put in a serious effort. With my money on the line, I'm going to want to try to keep it. That, and I want him to do his best.

I don't chaingrab; say what you will about playing to win, but this is a *game* foremost, and I play to have fun above all other things. G&W's not even my best character; I'm technically a Sheik main. I just hate Sheik. I think the character was very poorly designed. G&W is much more interesting to me. I'm plenty familiar with fighting Fox, even very technically proficient Foxes (if you're reading this, Spike, HURRY UP AND REGISTER NUB, and besides him I've played several matches against fastliketree), so I hope to... take him down at least 2 stocks in every match? Any particular anti-Fox counterpick stages, anyone?

For me, the Sethlon matches will be the important ones. And the ones I think you'll all want to see, along with the whole Roy community, since he's Sethlon. I wish you guys could've seen his performance in crews at that tournament... Very entertaining stuff.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
My two cents:

Roy is easy to ledgeguard to what I know. His Up-B is horribly slow compared to others and doesn't send him very far. Generally once he's off the stage, he's screwed unless he can actually jump back onto the stage so a well-timed WD to ledgehog should work many times. However G&W's aerials generally have ridiculous disjointed range probably almost equal to Roy's range, so don't forget to pop in an aerial here and there to further gimp Roy's already horrible recovery. I don't think there is really anything special to ledgeguarding Roy.

Fastfallers are meant to be juggled mirite? The D tilt doesn't get kills against Fastfallers as much, but it can set up for some good combo options.

G&W's Fsmash outranges pretty much everything Fox has in close quarters. The D-air can eat right through almost everything, although it is imperative to L-cancel it so you don't get hit by a follow up attack like Fox's U-smash. Also, spacing is extra important in matchups against the higher tiers, since G&W absolutely needs his amazing disjointed range to have a fighting chance against them.

Kips

Smash Ace
Watch out for DED from Roy. It can be devastating with all the combinations he has. And if you walk into a fully charged Flare Blade I'm going to destroy your controller. Roy is fairly easy but Fox is going to be a big pain.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Any particular anti-Fox counterpick stages, anyone?
Final D, Dreamland, Mute City.

EDIT: I just searched this thread for utilt, uptilt and any of it's variations, and I didn't see it mentioned once! Use uptilt! It's very helpful in both of these matchups. As I was once told by a SoCal smasher: learn from the master (SNAP) spam utilt. and screw judgement, its unnecessary. Whether they're on the ground or in the air, utilt is really good. If it's not part of your game, I suggest adding it now.

Also, the generic G&W fastfaller combos work well on Roy and Fox. Dair to dtilt to whatever, or fair to dtilt to whatever. I say whatever because there's a ton of things you can do after that. You can fair, dair, dtilt, wavejab, uair, grab, bair, dash attack...G&W's really good at comboing fastfallers lol.

Chair > Fox's recovery. Guaranteed to hit them if they try to quickly illusion back to the stage. Also good against their up B. It can be teched, though. When they're at high enough percentage, you can line up an fsmash on 'em after they come back from the chair.

technomancer

Smash Champion
To edgeguard Roy, just edgehog and ledgehop whatever. That'll knock him into the air, where you can hit him again. If he instead hits you, then oh well 4% damage snap guess you better quit smash.

Galt

Smash Journeyman
Results, anyone?

Sethlon and I fought our MM Saturday night. He won, 3-1. And it really is impossible to edgeguard Roy with G&W. Fun story: I was up for a 3-stock during one match, courtesy of a throw to 9 at 0% because I was already in the lead. Then I choked and lost it. So let this be a lesson to you all: never get a significant lead over your opponent. It's not safe. All the matches were really close, and Sethlon is always way-good times to fight. I recommend you all try it sometime.

Didn't get a real opportunity or have any great motivation to fight Tink. He had enough other people to worry about for me to bother him into taking my money.

Also, Dope tells me that Needles of Juntah is actually really good, like he always tells us he is. Record some vids, NoJ.

And is it just me, or is it nearly impossible to get posts to actually post on SWF lately? I've been trying to post this for a couple of days now.

Top Bottom