• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up Smash

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I can't think of a situation where usmash OoS would hit when a shieldgrab wouldn't.

Bonds

Smash Journeyman
Upsmash oos would be out of frame 11 if you jump cancel it and does 4% and potentially a little more with the mortar with very little kill power

Let's examine our other options.

Up tilt oos is 7 frames shield drop + 6 frames startup, does 13% with a bull**** hitbox and high kill power. Slightly difficult to buffer the turn around if someone is behind you.

Ftilt oos is 7 frames shield drop + 4 frames start up, does 21% to grounded opponents and 8% + decent knockback to aerial opponents. Easy to turn around oos.

Shieldgrab is obviously faster than either of these options.

tl;dr there is an option better than upsmash oos for just about every situation when you're in shield.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I actually use it sometimes. Still too slow for most applications, and ftilt would punish most things instead anyway.

:phone:

Bonds

Smash Journeyman
I just checked the frame data and hitbox thread and there's another reason to not use upsmash to hit people out of shield. Down air is only one frame slower out of shield and if someone is hitting your shield close enough for usmash oos to hit them, down air oos will also. By the frames and because of the mortar, usmash still isn't a bad option, we just have better ones imo which seems to be the general consensus

Tony22

Smash Cadet
Bonds told me to start posting here.
up smash oos is unnecessary when all of your other options (even dair) are better.
Unless for whatever reason everything else is stale.
But then again, I'm bad.
Which is the other reason why I'm here >_>

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
it can be useful if your opponent is landing with an aerial, and you're not sure which side they'll land on. and some opponents land so low to the ground they sneak under jab/grab/ftilt. wario's nair, i'm looking at you.

otherwise... it's a lot safer than dair. if dair misses, you're kinda screwed. and even if it hits, nothing is guaranteed.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Upsmash oos would be out of frame 11 if you jump cancel it and does 4% and potentially a little more with the mortar with very little kill power

Let's examine our other options.

Up tilt oos is 7 frames shield drop + 6 frames startup, does 13% with a bull**** hitbox and high kill power. Slightly difficult to buffer the turn around if someone is behind you.

Ftilt oos is 7 frames shield drop + 4 frames start up, does 21% to grounded opponents and 8% + decent knockback to aerial opponents. Easy to turn around oos.

Shieldgrab is obviously faster than either of these options.

tl;dr there is an option better than upsmash oos for just about every situation when you're in shield.
I just checked the frame data and hitbox thread and there's another reason to not use upsmash to hit people out of shield. Down air is only one frame slower out of shield and if someone is hitting your shield close enough for usmash oos to hit them, down air oos will also. By the frames and because of the mortar, usmash still isn't a bad option, we just have better ones imo which seems to be the general consensus
assuming your opponent is behind you and nothing is gauranteed the best option would be usmash because it gives you Guaranteed stage control

ROTFL at dair

make a wish charity foundation

Bonds

Smash Journeyman
if nothing is guaranteed.. you should just get the F out of there imo. Being in shield with someone behind you is really bad.

About dair I was only saying that if upsmash oos would hit them, so would dair. I still think they're both subpar options.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
if nothing is guaranteed.. you should just get the F out of there imo. Being in shield with someone behind you is really bad.

About dair I was only saying that if upsmash oos would hit them, so would dair. I still think they're both subpar options.
it depends like
if you have frame advantage but you can't punish
usmash is gdlk because you have a moving hitbox around you
many times your opponent has to make a very difficult to execute double read to punish you if you pick safe options, OR he has to gtfo and give you stage control.

If both are likely to work, Ill pick an option to give me an advantage rather than one that just resets.

@ soren

that works as long as they dont nado early

Top Bottom