• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

up-b ko ftw?

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice
Mind y'all I'm still a smash noob, but sometimes if my opponent is like, 110%+ and sky high, I can double jump up and then up-b them right near the top of the stage, to knock em up off tha top.

It is my experience from watching a few vid's and reading some manuals, that Doc's up-b has not been suggested or used in this way. I feel on certain stages w/ low ceilings, esp. Corneria (from the top of the top wing thingy), that double jumping into an up-b can throw some people right off tha top of the stage.

Also, using this technique I've found only the last hit of the up-b combo is what really delivers that upward zing needed to employ this KO'ing tech.

Now I dunno about doc's up-b priority, but it's my guess that most people wouldn't be expecting a vertical moving Doc to counter their fall with a KO'ing up-b ftw.

What do you all think? :D

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I see this in two ways, the reason why people would do it, and the reason why i dont like to do stuff like this.

Like you said, if this actually would work (i've honestly never tried it), it might make for a good option. Good low ko, and the move has decent priority. I dont think it has any Gamebreaker priority to it, but it might be good enough to score a KO.

Now here's the flipside, and the reason why I dont like to try stuff like this.

It's your up-b, meaning if you get hit, you've already lost your second jump. And heaven forbid if you get knocked off the stage. That leaves you with your tornado, cape, and up-b to get back. Not really worth the risk, imo.

But again, i havent tried this, so I dunno. I might give it a shot next time im playin some friendlies or something.

phish-it

Smash Champion
I don't really see why not. I mean, you see Marth's and Game and Watch's do this when theres no way to be punished, so go for the gold.

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice
Aye, there is indeed landing lag, however that shouldn't matter if you hit them with the up-b properly. If you miss the ending hit of the up-b combo then you're screwed, but if you do get it, your opponent should fly up as you fall down leaving you enough time to deal w/ said 'landing lag'

peachori

Smash Journeyman
looks like its way too risky to be worth it, esp in tournament play unless you're up a couple stocks. plus wouldnt a fair work up at that height work too, even though you wouldnt be able to reach as high up?

EazyP

Smash Ace
I wouldn't use up+b in that situation, just not a preference, but I would use it in another if I feel like showing off and have a few extra stocks.

When you knock someone off a stage, and they're trying to recover, I try and fall off the stage behind them and up+b into the stage to not only recover but hit them on the stage, and since they're not expecting it, they don't tech, and it's a killing stage spike

Also dumb, but hey, it's fun and awesome when you pull it off

hhliveson

Smash Cadet
just use it as a recovery... it ends your chances at a combo. you may wanna chase upwards to an f-air, but thats about it. with doc you dont wanna knock your opponents up high because he can only kill horizontally.

DrGrimReaper

Smash Apprentice
The first word that comes to mind for half of these responses is "*******," but that would be just plain rude. Now, the idea behind my posting this in the form of a 'question' was that, some of you might go and try it out yourself! I posted on the Marth forums, which apparently is arguably one of Doc's worst enemies, and it turns out that Corneria is one of Marth's worst stages, (which is also one of doc's best), and it has a semi-low ceiling (from the fin up), which was where this up-b ko would ideally take place. I've found that it works on him with %'s as low as 70.

Provided you make the full lengthed jumps up to meet him as he's coming down, such that the final spiking punch of the up-b is magnified. Now, I want you all to consider this situation before you go and say somtin' more like 'nah no way, too risky' because it's only risky if you screw it up (which is why you'd practice it a bit b4 tournies etc etc.)

St. Viers

Smash Champion
but it isn't b-air, u-air, n-air, or b...it can't be good. Oh, or downsmash....it's not that either :p

really, if it works, use it. If they are that high up and not expecting it (and you know you will hit) why not go for it?

Saying something is risky is like saying WDing is risky (if I mess up I dodge and am easily punished...)just get the spacing down (so you know how/where it goes) and practice, and there is no reason NOT to do this occasionally

Joe 4'Sho

Smash Cadet
doing doc's up-b to kill off the top is like trying to spike with zelda's d-air, do it tons.

Top Bottom