• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I mean, at the same time, do you really need to include the grab and pummel when those are pretty much the same for most of the cast? I think it's more notable when a character has a different grab and pummel than a similar one. Most are pretty standard.
I'll admit, I'm unsure about counting the grab. It was mostly done for future reference where the original and the clone have different grabs. Mario and Luigi, Link and Young/Toon Link, etc. It'd be odd to consider a point for those characters if they have different grabs, while ignoring grabs altogether for those who don't. I may revise it at some point, may be able to find a good medium there. Though the pummel is an actual attack, so I feel it should still count.

Without taking the grab into account, Roy is at 64%. At a binary level, 60%.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Smash has more than enough third parties and could honestly stand to lose a few.

World of Light is lackluster, and I cannot seem myself wanting to ever play through that sludgefest again in the future.

Spirit Board is ruined by the tedious shield minigame that you have to play after every match; it dulls the sense of accomplishment that one would feel when they manage to win an extremely difficult challenge.

I would've preferred more newcomers over having every veteran return, especially when some of those veterans should have never been included in Smash in the first place (I'm looking at you, :ultdoc:).
Hold on, are you me? Those opinions are all mine!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Alm would have been a better pick than Chrom (and i actually enjoy Chrom)
I can respect that. I love Chrom and he's my favorite, but Alm is a solid pick (even if Celica's my preferred Valentian lord). :p

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Unpopular opinion!

The DLC for Smash Ultimate is absolute garbage and Nintendo should cancel the DLC!

Leave Ultimate the way it is and move on to other projects!
In a game like this, the potential for more new characters is very real, and with DLC that potential is realizable rather than having to wait 5-7 years for a new $60 entry with new fighters. Cancelling for no good reason would be a terrible idea from a business and consumer standpoint.

Add to that that you haven't seen the rest of the DLC additions to come to that conclusion. Nintendo also has enough people to take care of other projects while they develop the extra content. It's like people think they put everything they do on stasis while they work on Smash.

D

Deleted member

In a game like this, the potential for more new characters is very real, and with DLC that potential is realizable rather than having to wait 5-7 years for a new $60 entry with new fighters. Cancelling for no good reason would be a terrible idea from a business and consumer standpoint.

Add to that that you haven't seen the rest of the DLC additions to come to that conclusion. Nintendo also has enough people to take care of other projects while they develop the extra content. It's like people think they put everything they do on stasis while they work on Smash.
They could add literally every single possible character into the game and this dude would still be disappointed lmao

Browny

Smash Hater
PT is not a deep character, does not have a 'high skill ceiling' and is overrated.

Mad enough yet? Good, now read on.

In fighting games, the idea of having 1 character cover another's bad matchups certainly makes the individual who uses them more likely to succeed, but the characters themselves need to actually be good. The prime example in smash would be brawl zelda/sheik. Individually, zelda was one of the worst characters in the game and sheik was mid-tier at best thanks to getting chaingrabbed to hell and back. The idea of using sheik to rack up damage, and Zelda to KO was incredibly naive because in practice, sheik would just get grabbed all the way up to high % while her attacks didnt do much, and then a swap to zelda to KO was pointless because you were at a % disadvantage, with one of the slowest characters in the game.

Had sheik been a top tier character to begin with, she would have been far more likely to get the enemy to 100% while shes on maybe 50%, and then switch to zelda. That would have made her pretty good. But of course she didnt. That never stopped people continuously rating 'sheilda' as high tier despite never doing anything of note in the games history. It would seem the mistake people were making is that they were adding the characters strengths, and subtracting their weaknesses but that is incredibly flawed since as I mentioned, pretending like Zelda has sheiks speed when it comes to landing a KO move never works out.

PT is the same in this game, however noticeably better than the brawl variant because they are actually pretty good. That said, the individual characters are not deep at all. Consider for a moment, if you had 3 widely agreed not 'deep' characters. Lets say Ganondorf, chrom and kirby could switch between each other mid-match. The 'depth' of the character is not the sum of all 3, its measured by choosing when to use each one in each scenario. But really, is that even hard?

In theory, the highest possible level of play of PT would see people switch to the optimal pokemon at any given time but it is impossible to ever achieve this because that is forgetting one gigantic thing; there are actually 2 players in a match. Say you're up against someone like Snake and you think 'ok its time to zone break him and I'm going to use squirtle'. Cool theory, but now the snake player goes 'fine, no grenades, I'll just trade with normals and hopelessly outdamage you and rely on nade counters literally every time I'm hit.' So the PT player has to adapt. But wait... literally every character in the game has to do that. You adopt a certain playstyle, the enemy changes up theirs, you change yours, they change theirs repeat forever. PT is not unique in the slightest in this regard. Just because you can mix up your approach with 3 different characters, doesn't mean that the character as a whole has more depth, its simply using more characters.

As I said before though, no one would ever imply that a team of ganondorf, chrom and kirby are 'deep', so why with PT? The individual pokemon are quite literally some of the most basic characters in the game. Squirtle and charizard are your generic archetypes that don't need to rely on all sorts of bizarre set ups like megaman, robin, ryu etc. Their neutral is limited to like, 2-3 approach options and thats it. If you are honest with yourself and ask 'how many characters in the game, are more basic than squirtle or charizard' and you might find the answer is pretty small. Ivysaur is more complex because of how many options it has in neutral and edgeguarding, its really got a lot going for it.

Given that the individual pokemon are not very deep, and deciding when to switch to each one requires as much depth as playing literally any other character, the character by definition can not have a high skill ceiling and thus is overrated by people who talk about its 'potential' when played at the highest level. The level that PT is at right now, is the same level that all other characters are sitting at. PT as a character is not going to magically have a ton of room to grow where other characters wont, because the individual characters simply do not have the room to do so. Optimal switching can not exist for as long as the opponent is capable of adapting (see; all top players) therefore its theoretical peak is hard limited.

The final remaining argument is that for someone to compete at a high level with PT, they need to master 3 characters instead of most people who master one. This is basically admitting that the character requires more effort than others, to achieve a comparable level of success. You know what that is known as in all other fighting games? Its called a 'mid tier'. If your character requires 3x200 hours to match your results that you would have got in 200 hours on a top tier character, then how is that different to spending 600 hours on a different mid tier, to get the same results? Hint: Its not.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Basically, if you think the roster is oversaturated with Pokemon, don't oversaturate it with """""""""balance""""""""".
**** this mentallity. it's my imaginary roster that will never be a reality, and I'll oversaturate it with literally everything if I want to.

Third parties would be less exciting than five white human sword wielding anime style blue haired fire emblem fighters. And we have four of those already. Literally all of the popular third party pitches bore me. Master Chief and de Blob are the only interesting ones I can think of. Even if we got five generic Mario enemies that would be better.
>Fire Emblem
>White
>mfw

Happening.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While I like to make a point that I don't care about "oversaturation" or "too much [BLANK] archetype", the one exception I'll make is bipedal Pokemon. Granted, that's just a problem with Pokemon itself pushing their bipeds, since they're basically the ones who end up picking the Pokemon anyways.

Praylewd

Smash Rookie
I feel like dark pit as a clone detracts from pit. If you had an option to angle the side b based on those two trajectories it would be dope.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Despite how much Pokemon are on the roster, I want to see more non-starter Pokemon on the roster.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I just want more “cutesy” Pokemon on the roster like Meowth, Psyduck, any baby starter etc and less cool ones.

Cute-:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur:
Cool-:ultmewtwo::ultcharizard::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar:

....Ok so it’s even but still lol.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Tails would have been way better a choice for a second, clone/echo Sonic character than Shadow, fitting in with Knuckles as an assist.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I hate it when people say a fighter is a "one-off" because so what. Lots of fighters were one-offs when they were added. Some are still one-offs. Some fighters didn't even exist when they were added. Being a "one-off" means nothing.

Last edited:

RadiantTactician

Defender of the Outrealms
NNID
smashergal426
3DS FC
0946-3031-1836
Switch FC
SW-4594-4881-1993
Most of the top First Party picks are honestly boring for me.

I'm salty that we never got a Gen 3/5 Pokémon rep since those were my favorite games.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm salty that we never got a Gen 3/5 Pokémon rep since those were my favorite games.
I sometimes felt like the unluckiest person on earth when it came to Pokemon support back during the Brawl and Smash 4 days since the Pokemon I wanted where from the Gen 3 & 5 games but both ended up being out prioritized in favor of a gen 4 and 6 Pokemon respectively.... Oh well, at least I liked Greninja.

All I hope for the next game at this point is that the next Pokemon isn't yet another starter or humanoid/biped mon though. I'd like to see another Pokemon with a very unique design like Pikachu, Charizard and especially Ivysaur again.

Last edited:

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio

Yeah!! 5 clones with zero originality that no one asked for (And that's all your getting in terms of the DLC)!

Also!! I know about the crappy DLC because of the leaker Vergeben!!

Who said a boring Villager (Steve from Minecraft) echo was ccoming to the game!!

Along with a beyond uninteresting Deviantart anime swordsman fan drawing Simon Belmont/Marth echo (Some Goku Cosplayer From Dragon Quest)!!

Those two along with that stupid plant Mook and the Anime Edgelord Bayonetta cosplayer/clone!!

The DLC will be just as awful as a nard punch to the ballsack with three steel baseball bats!!

Last edited:

RadiantTactician

Defender of the Outrealms
NNID
smashergal426
3DS FC
0946-3031-1836
Switch FC
SW-4594-4881-1993
I'm feeling your pain man. Before Sm4sh, my most wanted was Zoroark.
Sceptile was my main pick, but Zoroark was a close second. I thought with ORAS, we'd have renewed interest in a third gen mon but alas. :(

I sometimes felt like the unluckiest person on earth when it came to Pokemon support back during the Brawl and Smash 4 days since the Pokemon I wanted where from the Gen 3 & 5 games but both ended up being out prioritized in favor of a gen 4 and 6 Pokemon respectively.... Oh well, at least I liked Greninja.
Same, I really like Greninja, but I can't say the same for Incineroar; I really don't like his design at all.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Yeah!! 5 clones with zero originality that no one asked for (And that's all your getting in terms of the DLC)!

Who said a boring Villager (Steve from Minecraft) echo was ccoming to the game!!

Along with a beyond uninteresting Deviantart anime swordsman fan drawing Simon Belmont/Marth echo (Some Goku Cosplayer From Dragon Quest)!!

Those two along with that stupid plant Mook and the Anime Edgelord Bayonetta cosplayer/clone!!

The DLC will be just as awful as a nard punch to the ballpark with three steel baseball bats!!
Nice B8 M8

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
In-terms of gameplay, this is probably my least favorite Smash. Personally, I feel like the developers went overboard when nerfing defensive options, and it sucks because I felt like the defensive aspect that they had going in 4 was really nice.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
In-terms of gameplay, this is probably my least favorite Smash. Personally, I feel like the developers went overboard when nerfing defensive options, and it sucks because I felt like the defensive aspect that they had going in 4 was really nice.
Literally the opposite for me. I love the fast pace and offensive nature of this game. I love how stocks can be gone in 20 seconds and come backs are always possible. I love how it’s all about momentum and I think it takes more skill and mental energy to play a game like this than brawl or 4. I think it makes for a more interesting game to play and watch

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just want more “cutesy” Pokemon on the roster like Meowth, Psyduck, any baby starter etc and less cool ones.

Cute-:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur:
Cool-:ultmewtwo::ultcharizard::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar:

....Ok so it’s even but still lol.
I really want Team Rocket so bad.

Team Rocket would be like Pokémon Trainer except you play as Meowth and Ekans team and Meowth and Koffing team and Jessie and James stay in the background taking turns summoning their Pokémon to team up with Meowth.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I really want Team Rocket so bad.

Team Rocket would be like Pokémon Trainer except you play as Meowth and Ekans team and Meowth and Koffing team and Jessie and James stay in the background taking turns summoning their Pokémon to team up with Meowth.
I could go for either Jessie & James or Giovanni as the Trainer. I honestly think this would be great for Meowth since the thing that makes it notable is that he's part of a team alone. Plus, that particular Meowth can't even use Pay Day(though I see no reason to keep that factor) unlike the generic one in Smash. He's honestly the last Gen 1 Pokemon I'd like to see in(mind you, the way I ideally had it is that Meowth is the actual playable character, along with TR/Giovanni, while Ekans/Koffing/Zubat are more of a side thing, akin to like how Heihachi is just a small sprite for Pac-Man. Or how Toad pretty much is for Peach(as sad as that is...)).

Time to speak as a mod as well. If you see what looks like bait, do not respond to it. At all. Things like "nice bait" is pretty much spam by all means. Just ignore it and/or report it instead. Keep in mind unpopular opinions can still be against the rules here if they're trollish, intending to flame or start an argument moreso than simply having a different view. For instance, someone not liking a character in as is is perfectly fine. Them mocking the players is not fine at all.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Yeah 3rd generation was sorta my original Pokemon generation, so it's unfortunate we never got like Blaziken in Brawl, tho we might have been close to getting Plusle & Minum.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'd love to see Team Rocket Playable, but I'd prefer it if it was actually them you could control. I see Jessie and James being more like a humerous Ice Climbers style fighter.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
This isn't an unpopular opinion, rather more or less not commonly said thing, but I wish there was a balance in between alt costumes for regular fighters and Mii's.

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
I don't want Sora in Smash.
Nothing against Kingdom Hearts fans, I just don't want a character whose series is so tied to the properties of a non video game company (Disney) that it would be really weird to try and get him in without mentioning all this Goofy and Donald and Mickey Mouse stuff that comes with him.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't want Sora in Smash.
Nothing against Kingdom Hearts fans, I just don't want a character whose series is so tied to the properties of a non video game company (Disney) that it would be really weird to try and get him in without mentioning all this Goofy and Donald and Mickey Mouse stuff that comes with him.
I'm curious, what's your stance on a Mortal Kombat character? I'm just wondering since Netherrealm is owned by Warner Bros. :p

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

The DLC will be just as awful as a nard punch to the ballsack with three steel baseball bats!!
You know if you go to Cape Cod you might find better bait there.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996

Believing a leak as a fact? Sounds misguided. Instead, wait for official announcements rather than believing what is more likely made up.

And 5 clones? You don't know anything about it to say that and Sakurai also said that there wouldn't be echoes.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Somewhat not Smash related but what the heck.

Incineroar's design is so generic and boring looking like as if he'd be Tony the Tiger's cousin. Why the Pokemon developers decided to go with that design over the saber-toothed cat one I'll never know but Incineroar when compared to his previous forms just feels so out of place. The saber-toothed cat one at least would had fit and is a lot more cooler.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Somewhat not Smash related but what the heck.

Incineroar's design is so generic and boring looking like as if he'd be Tony the Tiger's cousin. Why the Pokemon developers decided to go with that design over the saber-toothed cat one I'll never know but Incineroar when compared to his previous forms just feels so out of place. The saber-toothed cat one at least would had fit and is a lot more cooler.
One theory I really loved before it didn't pan and the final evolutions were revealed out was that the Alolan starters were parts of a circus troupe.

Popplio would evolve to a sort of jester-seal that swam and balanced on balls, Litten would be the dangerous tiger that lept through hoops of fire, and Rowlet would be the suave ringleader in charge of it all.

I would've loved to see that instead of Fire-Machamp whose supposedly a heel despite exhibiting no traits of one.
I mean like at that point, what was even the point of making him a cat?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
One theory I really loved before it didn't pan and the final evolutions were revealed out was that the Alolan starters were parts of a circus troupe.

Popplio would evolve to a sort of jester-seal that swam and balanced on balls, Litten would be the dangerous tiger that lept through hoops of fire, and Rowlet would be the suave ringleader in charge of it all.

I would've loved to see that instead of Fire-Machamp whose supposedly a heel despite exhibiting no traits of one.
I mean like at that point, what was even the point of making him a cat?
Oh Jesus that fake clown Popplio evolution was downright terrifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom