• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Something about Ultimate's graphics look...off. I can't put my finger on it, but in some cases it looks really good while in others it looks pretty terrible, to be frank.
Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 6.41.11 PM.png

Mario looks so white – literally. I don't know why he looks so bright, but it looks unnatural and really out of place.
Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 6.42.12 PM.png

Link's hair. Dear Lord. He looks like he came out of a cheap PS2 game.
Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 6.45.12 PM.png

I feel like a lot of characters suffer from this, but in certain areas they look like they're made out of plastic or clay. Take Bowser here, for instance.

That's not to say this is an inherently ugly game; most of the characters look incredible, environments are upgrades, and animations are superb. That typical Nintendo polish is still there. But in some spots...I don't know, to me it seems like it's missing. And when it does, it shows.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
I dont like that the clones are named echos after all these years being called clones... its no biggy though

And the title is weird... ultimate... the final smashes got reworked and are now ultimates?... again, no big deal

Ridley looks ridiculous

K those were 3 "negative" comments... which aren't negative, the first 2 are my personal opinion, and the third is an amazing creative solution to a 17 year fan request since that intro in melee... the rest of the game looks amazing, cant wait... I even came back here, was like 2-3 years innactive

THE HYPE IS REAL

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ridley looks weird and inspired by some sort of mod. Feel his inclusion is terribly forced.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Something about Ultimate's graphics look...off. I can't put my finger on it, but in some cases it looks really good while in others it looks pretty terrible, to be frank.
View attachment 147998
Mario looks so white – literally. I don't know why he looks so bright, but it looks unnatural and really out of place.
View attachment 147999
Link's hair. Dear Lord. He looks like he came out of a cheap PS2 game.
View attachment 148000
I feel like a lot of characters suffer from this, but in certain areas they look like they're made out of plastic or clay. Take Bowser here, for instance.

That's not to say this is an inherently ugly game; most of the characters look incredible, environments are upgrades, and animations are superb. That typical Nintendo polish is still there. But in some spots...I don't know, to me it seems like it's missing. And when it does, it shows.
To be fair, the game isn't finished. There is still time for more polish.

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
Unpopular opinions:
- Given the comments of many people in other forums, I think them criticizing characters that made it in, because theirs didn't are too salty and they look bad. I mean it is ok to feel sad but insulting the character or the fans won't make yours go in.
- I felt somewhat dissapointed that we are not getting that much newcomers, I would have preferred some cuts and getting more newcomers (although we don't know how many are coming in yet).
Apparently this is now an unpopular opinion:
I feel Ridley's design is great. They make him look like a ferocious Alien Space Dragon (as he is intended to be) like almost taken out from a Dead Space Game (that greyish tone) and I don't feel his inclusion is forced at all sorry.

Last edited:

Zeep

Smash Rookie
NNID
ZeepZeep
As great as having all of the veterans is, I kinda wish we get more newcomers than just a handful.

D

Deleted member

Ok...I'm ready for more.

1. My biggest unpopular opinion right now is I HATE Zelda's new design. Sure, it comes from ALBW but that game ripped it straight out of ALttP, so what that means is it's basically a devolution of the princess Zelda design. Has no one noticed?? OoT improved and updated Zelda's look from ALttP and then TP improved and updated it even more (of course the ultimate iteration is in Hyrule Warriors but that's another tangent). So to go back to such an old look is not an improvement--and her hair is atrociously ugly. Ugh it's just the worst and I miss TP Zelda already.
2. Ridley is too small. I think they could have made him bigger somehow and made some concessions, like he can't be thrown or something. But he's too small.
3. Daisy was the highlight of the Smash Bros. presentation for me. :D
4. Hmm let's see what else...I'll miss Rock Smash. Got so many suckers with that move. :p

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Smash 4.5*

Not sure if it is really an unpopular opinion, but people salty about the "not a lot of newcomers" thing are really spoiled. We are getting everything and more, and you want more. Come on now.

Also, the new Zelda design is her best yet. Super adorable.

That is all I have. Game seems awesome, so much more than what I expected.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Since the Vergeben leak is pretty much real, I'm more excited for the Minecraft content than I am Simon Belmont.

Also Xenoblade 2 doesn't deserve to be awknowledged whatsoever

Arthur97

Smash Master
Since the Vergeben leak is pretty much real, I'm more excited for the Minecraft content than I am Simon Belmont.

Also Xenoblade 2 doesn't deserve to be awknowledged whatsoever
I don't see a mention of Minecraft in the leak.

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
I have to agree with OP on one thing, which is the size of the roster.

A diverse roster of characters is a major factor in a fighting game being successful. However, it can easily be taken too far. The main draw of having a ton of characters is that there are that many, many more matchups to learn. Take Street Fighter, for example. I’ve always felt that the main SF games (ST, 3S, A2, A3) have always had a solid number of characters that gave the player variety while not overwhelming them with too many options. On the other hand, you look at Street Fighter 4 which has a whopping 39 characters. While it gives a potential player a plethora of options to choose from, it also raises the barrier for entry into the game considerably. A player wanting to get into the competitive scene would have learn how every single character in the game interacts with everyone else.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand that learning matchups is unavoidable when picking up a new fighting game, but sometimes I wonder if the learning curve is too skewed in that direction. F***, this is the primary reason that Tekken is so hard to get into, with all of the knowledge you need to know on each character and there being so many of them, you have a game with an immensely high entry barrier. I guess looking back at it this is why I always enjoyed games with more modest rosters; the less time you spend having to learn the basics of what each character can potentially do to you, the more time you can spend applying that knowledge to other areas of your game that need improving.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I’m really hating that people are obsessively calling this game a port, or something like “4.5”.

Yes, the engine is similar, we all knew it was going to be. However, the characters all look different, a lot of animations have been completely overhauled if you bother to observe them, and the models, for the most part, look new and different. That’s not even going into the moveset adjustments and gameplay changes. Calling Ultimate anything less than a new Smash game is cheapening the work that has been put into the game, and it has really been pissing me off.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I'm not really a fan of the mix-and-matched designs across the Zelda cast. Would've much rather have seen Link, Zelda, Shiek, and Ganondorf all use designs from the game game, while Young Link and Toon Link's designs from their respective games.

Would've loved to see Zelda in her Breath of the Wild outfit, and Ganondorf with an original Breath of the Wild design. At least Ganondorf looks great, but I'm really not a fan of the design for Zelda.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I hope Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Baby Peach and Baby Daisy appear in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

D

Deleted member

I hope Baby Mario, Baby Luigi, Baby Peach and Baby Daisy appear in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
Their only movement option is to crawl and every attack button makes them cry which instantly puts nearby fighters into rage status.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
My opinion can certainly change on this, but on paper I am not liking the idea of the perfect shield scaling its parry to the attack. This seems to only further incentivize shielding if you're at KO percents, which leads to people opting for grabs and throws, which means higher percents of people opting less and less frequently for kill options which means longer matches.

I need more footage to fully review this.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I have no idea if this is unpopular or not, but I really don't enjoy stall-then-fall aerials. Seeing them back for the Ice climbers make me sad. A simple misinput on common button presses can send you to your death. Wanna fast fall nair for a ledge guard? Accidentally kill yourself. I can't think of any reason they should be in over just the attack+fast fall.

Imo these attacks should only work if the button is held. So a regular tap does a regular non momentum changing dair, hold it and you get the stall-then-fall.

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
-I don't like the Pokemon trainer concept, I would prefer Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard as separate fighters. The single Moveset concept from Smash 4
-Dr. Mario should be a palette swap
-Pichu should be cut.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I actually miss having Twilight Princess models in the game. They kind of overstayed their welcome by staying in Smash 4 (after Skyward Sword had fresh new designs to draw from for Link and Zelda), but the realism of those designs has always been my favorite.

I do like the BotW and ALBW redesigns, and OoT Ganondorf looks cool, but I'm hoping that there will be some sort of TP-style costume options in the game. TP Zelda is best Zelda.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I consider FE to be an overrated franchise... At least by it's fan base. I've honestly found most of the stories in these games to range from mediocre to just... OK (I really dislike the story in Fates). I also found the game-play in a lot of them to be boring, and filled with questionable designs. However, while I dislike the main line games, I love FEH & if FE gets a new Rep. I want it to be Fjorm.

Ridley's inclusion seems forced & his character model reminds of the Brawl mod that was made a couple of years ago. He doesn't look terrible, but something about is just off & I think Sakurai should've stock with his guns. I mean seriously, Ridley could fit Samus's entire torso in his hand in Other M.

Probably not an unpopular opinion, but I really don't care for Bomber Man. However, Sakurai going out of his way to get the rights for a third-party character just to make them an assist trophy is beyond stupid. I can understand someone like Knuckles, but in the case of Bomber it just seems really dumb since he could've been a unique character & represents a new franchise for Smash. Like, why not just save him for DLC?

The next third-party character to join Smash should be Scorpion.

I never really understood the love for over the top reactions in the Smash fan base. I have no problems with people being excited about the game, but watching a grown man destroying his own shelf because of a video game was the most cringe inducing thing I've ever seen. On the opposite end, some of you guys react way to negatively. I've seen people threaten suicide because their favorite character got deconfirmed. Like, chill bro.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Personally, I consider FE to be an overrated franchise... At least by it's fan base. I've honestly found most of the stories in these games to range from mediocre to just... OK (I really dislike the story in Fates). I also found the game-play in a lot of them to be boring, and filled with questionable designs. However, while I dislike the main line games, I love FEH & if FE gets a new Rep. I want it to be Fjorm.

Ridley's inclusion seems forced & his character model reminds of the Brawl mod that was made a couple of years ago. He doesn't look terrible, but something about is just off & I think Sakurai should've stock with his guns. I mean seriously, Ridley could fit Samus's entire torso in his hand in Other M.

Probably not an unpopular opinion, but I really don't care for Bomber Man. However, Sakurai going out of his way to get the rights for a third-party character just to make them an assist trophy is beyond stupid. I can understand someone like Knuckles, but in the case of Bomber it just seems really dumb since he could've been a unique character & represents a new franchise for Smash. Like, why not just save him for DLC?

The next third-party character to join Smash should be Scorpion.

I never really understood the love for over the top reactions in the Smash fan base. I have no problems with people being excited about the game, but watching a grown man destroying his own shelf because of a video game was the most cringe inducing thing I've ever seen. On the opposite end, some of you guys react way to negatively. I've seen people threaten suicide because their favorite character got deconfirmed. Like, chill bro.
I agree with that last part, at least

A LOT of people are setting themselves up for disappointment.

A lot of assumptions are being made after just one direct. Characters are getting called shoo-ins again and people are assuming we're getting 4 billion characters pre-DLC.

It's probably going to end in flames.
:061:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
A LOT of people are setting themselves up for disappointment.

A lot of assumptions are being made after just one direct. Characters are getting called shoo-ins again and people are assuming we're getting 4 billion characters pre-DLC.

It's probably going to end in flames.
:061:
Sakurai: "I hope you weren't expecting too many newcomers"
Fans: "ZOMG MY FAVORITE NEWCOMER IS GOING TO GET IN OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!"

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sakurai: "I hope you weren't expecting too many newcomers"
Fans: "ZOMG MY FAVORITE NEWCOMER IS GOING TO GET IN OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!"
I mean....

My favorite newcomer did get in. :troll:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
We do NOT need wavedashing in this game. We can do anything out of dash. Do not make this game harder or more stressful for newer people or people who haven't played Melee before. I'm not gonna go Star Wars fandom on Smash and Sakurai and boycott it but having techs more accessible is so good. I think wavelanding is fine but don't add wavedash. It's going to alienate everyone who hasn't played competitive Melee. What Sakurai has done with making things easier to access (such as short hop attack & anything out of dash) is absolutely CRITICAL for this game to better for both Melee and Smash 4 players in the future. I've heard people say that "wavedashing is just another option so why not?"

• It's much much much easier on the hands to do a normal dash and then doing a move instead of doing a wavedash then a move. Smash 4 players' hands are not adapted at all for this tech.
  • We already have a better wavedashing in place with a new tech called a wavedash-dance.
  • It would be a COMPLETE AND TOTAL step backwards from what Sakurai and his team are trying to accomplish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
My unpopular opinion is Phantom Slash level 4 doesn’t combo into itself like its supposed to. There. I said it. And the MAGIC EFFECTS SHOULD BE PINK NOT PURPLE

ITS ZELDA, *****.
DOWNWARD SPECIAL - Phantom Slash

Phantom Slash has received a major overhaul in Ultimate.

Phantom Slash now is a single press chargeable move. Pressing B again will release the Phantom as its current charge level, and has five charge levels. You can see this easily by watching the visual cue: counting the pieces as they fall and “shake“ as it forms. (The final piece, the head, is the visual indication the Phantom will be delayed.)
Each level is a different attack. Finally, Releasing the fifth charge delays the phantom, invoking for crazy sets ups, baits, and edgeguarding. A very “traditional fighter” stylized projectile, allowing her to pressure opponents safely. The Phantom still acts as a shield as well.

Level One - Kick

Level Two - Fist

Level Three - Strike

Level Four - Slash

Level Five - Slash (Trap)

GRAB - Hex Hold

PUMMEL - Flash

FORWARD THROW - Levitation

BACKWARD THROW - Reverse Levitation

UPWARD THROW - Levitation Launch

DOWNWARD THROW - Plasma Beat

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I really, REALLY want Hanenbow to return. I know the stage is awful, but I enjoy the atmosphere and sounds. I just want to play on the Battlefield version of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom