• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Really? Seems like everyone hates him because he's a clone and they don't want him to return. And by 'everyone' I mean a lot of people. Which makes me sad.
Only those who don’t like clones, edge, or the Kid Icarus bias...so only half of the community

osby

Smash Obsessed
Really? Seems like everyone hates him because he's a clone and they don't want him to return. And by 'everyone' I mean a lot of people. Which makes me sad.
I really like him.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'm not looking forward to Smash 5. For a while I was, but it seems like there's going to be way more characters, which leads me to believe that my main isn't going to be any better. I don't like Sakurai's involvement because he doesn't seem competent in making a balanced roster, and he doesn't even seem interested in balancing the veterans before everyone else. I'm rather pessimistic on the direction Samus is going to take, especially since she had to be buffed by patches in Sm4sh. She hasn't been good since SSBB and while she's better in Sm4sh, she's not even close to the level of how she was in SSBM. I'm just not feeling it. :4shulk:

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Keep the custom special moves and equipment, but separate the two. Also, fix up the equipment system so that the attack and defense multipliers are more balanced.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Please actually contribute something meaningful to the actual conversation, besides criticism in this case, obviously.
I'm not looking forward to Smash 5. For a while I was, but it seems like there's going to be way more characters, which leads me to believe that my main isn't going to be any better. I don't like Sakurai's involvement because he doesn't seem competent in making a balanced roster, and he doesn't even seem interested in balancing the veterans before everyone else. I'm rather pessimistic on the direction Samus is going to take, especially since she had to be buffed by patches in Sm4sh. She hasn't been good since SSBB and while she's better in Sm4sh, she's not even close to the level of how she was in SSBM. I'm just not feeling it. :4shulk:
yikes

ItsYaBoi

Smash Rookie
So i can't reply on my thread for this but I want cranky kong, Scorpion/Sub-Zero (As a new third party fighter(s))

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I don’t get why people praise Sakurai constantly. All of his best work since Melee has been in games that AREN’T Smash Bros, he lies and breaks his own rules constantly to suit his own desires, and very blatantly favors certain properties over others. The fact that he unironically refuses to add a highly requested character because “he’s too hard ),:” is absolutely baffling and even moreso that people accepted it as a reasonable answer. Smash needs new blood more than anything else, and I honestly haven’t been excited for a Smash Bros game since Brawl because of Sakurai’s design philosophy. Most infuriating of all is seeing people demand that you should be grateful for what you get, as if we aren’t spending money on a product and that because Sakurai “works hard” he is above criticism.

Above all, Sakurai was given a golden goose of a franchise. You could’ve given Smash Bros to any idiot and it would’ve performed well. It is not hard to make a game about Nintendo characters fighting sell well or be highly praised. Even the original “platforming Fighter” concept originated in another game title before it morphed into Smash Bros.

Last edited:

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
More Unpopular Opinions:
  • Captain Toad feels boring as a Smash Candidate, the game he is from just reminds me of games you could just find on a Apple/Android App Store
  • Baby Mario actually has a Solid Chance of being Playable

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I know Waluigi and K Rool have very dedicated supporters (I want Ridley in myself). But I think having a character like Waluigi would not only seem forced, but would add to a already pretty represented game series, Mario (and yes I know there is no limit to how many characters you can have from the same game), but even characters like Bowser jr and Wario appear in the main titles, with Wario having at least 2 lines of games, the standard platformers and Wario ware, Waluigi is confined to party games. King K Rool seems to be absent from the recent DK games, which isn't exactly a factor when it comes to ruling him out, but to me there's other characters in the DK series like Dixie I would rather see, and like what I said with Waluigi, there is no set limit, we could see Dixie and K Rool next game, I just personally can't picture him.

Some other characters I don't want to see are ;

• Ghirahim from Zelda, for me it's as if someone got every bad gay stereotype and put it into one character. Plus there was someone on the old Ridley thread that liked to post about him at every opportunity, and when I challenged them about it i was accused of being homophobic.
  • Daisy from Mario, not really sure what to say, she was replaced by Peach in the Mario series iirc, not sure what they could do with her.
  • Any more Fire Emblem characters, I know some people really like the series, and I like playing it myself now and again, but Sakurai or whoever picks the characters to add pretty much always makes them use a sword to some capacity, and i'm just getting sick of it.
Not directly about Smash as a game, so just throwing it on the end, but I hate how much stock some people are putting in rumors and supposed leaks, I thought people would have learned from last time, but I still see people talking about so called leaks like it's basically proven fact, and they justify it by saying such and such said this and it happened, when it's normally some incredibly vague or thing that was more than likely to happen, somehow magically making all their other claims somehow true as well. (Just an added disclaimer, I'm talking about the people who are 100% treating these as fact, if someone thinks it might be true I still respect their opinions, just as long as people aren't spreading it as information and withholding it hasn't been verified).

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
- I don't like Smash 4's physics and mechanics at all, nor do any of my friends. If Smash Switch is similar, I have little reason to buy it.
- I'm disappointed Sakurai is involved again.
- 3rd party characters rarely get me excited. Ryu was the only one.
- Even though F-Zero is in a coma, a newcomer from that series would excite me more than the likes of Dixie Kong, Spring Man and Decidueye.
- I often dislike characters from recent games. They feel like playable commercials to me and have little staying power.
- I have very little faith in Smash Switch's online.
- For Glory's entire concept is a joke.

Now for some less whiny unpopular opinions.
- Even though I prefer stages without hazards, Gamer is my favorite stage in years.
- I was honestly very impressed with Smash 3DS on a technical level and enjoyed it much more than the Wii U version.
- I like 3rd party stages more than 3rd party characters.
- Louie would make an excellent addition. Add Alph for good measure.
- I already want Punch-Out newcomers.
- I don't completely hate stage bosses, even though I really want Ridley. Metal Face is actually an improvement, because Gaur Plain is kinda dull otherwise.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Third party characters are wasted roster slots.

This is a Nintendo beat-em-up first and foremost, and Smash is popular enough without Nintendo selling themselves out to third parties who couldn't be bothered to develop games for the Switch.

Obviously, there are solid exceptions. Bayonetta stands out as one, as only Nintendo was willing to publish its sequel.

Nintendo should place focus on promoting more of their IPs and less of others' nonsensical ones.

Last edited:

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
I don't think a story mode needs to return. Smash and other fighting games should focus on content that people may play multiple times, not one-off content like Subspace Emissary. The time spent on single-player modes would be better spent on making the multiplayer modes better, and improving training mode. If they insist on making single-player content, it should be content that prepares the player for multiplayer.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't think a story mode needs to return. Smash and other fighting games should focus on content that people may play multiple times, not one-off content like Subspace Emissary. The time spent on single-player modes would be better spent on making the multiplayer modes better, and improving training mode. If they insist on making single-player content, it should be content that prepares the player for multiplayer.
"Prepares"? Smash isn't a traditional fighting game, there are a lot of people who buys it for single player. It doesn't have to be story mode, though.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I think the idea that non-fighting characters in their origin games shouldn't be in Smash is a completely stupid argument. The whole beauty of smash is bringing all these characters that don't normally fight together to duke it out. Plus, characters who don't normally fight just result in much more imagintaive moveset that encapsulate the characters' series far better than just simple punches and kicks. The argument that characters like Captain Toad, Phoenix Wright, and other Animal Crossing characters shouldn't be added just because "they don't fight" is simply ignorant and is completely nonsensical to me and should always be disregarded when designing the game.

D

Deleted member

I think the idea that non-fighting characters in their origin games shouldn't be in Smash is a completely stupid argument. The whole beauty of smash is bringing all these characters that don't normally fight together to duke it out. Plus, characters who don't normally fight just result in much more imagintaive moveset that encapsulate the characters' series far better than just simple punches and kicks. The argument that characters like Captain Toad, Phoenix Wright, and other Animal Crossing characters shouldn't be added just because "they don't fight" is simply ignorant and is completely nonsensical to me and should always be disregarded when designing the game.
Let's also not forget that one of the characters you just mentioned, Phoenix Wright, was in a fighting game once.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Characters should't be prioritized because of their archetypes: villains, users of a certain weapon, heavy weights, non-humanoids etc.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Honestly, this seems to be the popular opinion, if anything, especially considering non-combatants Captain Toad and Isabelle are in the current top 10 in chance in the current Rate Their Chances thread, with both overcoming substantial competition within their own series, Captain Toad especially. Ever since Villager happened, moveset potential has just been completely out of most speculators' minds as if it doesn't matter, which is something I sincerely hope this upcoming Smash will disprove. With opinions like this, you might as well just call it the "Smash 5 Opinions" thread.
On that note, here's my unpopular opinion: moveset potential does, and absolutely should matter when it comes to designing newcomers, and non-combatant franchises like Animal Crossing shouldn't be given more than one catch-all character, a la Villager. Likewise, non-combatant characters from already established franchises should stay out of the roster in favor of those with more unique and interesting canonical toolkits.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Let's also not forget that one of the characters you just mentioned, Phoenix Wright, was in a fighting game once.

Exactly! I actually had that in mind when including him. I mean, if you were to take every character who didn't technically fight within their original series out of the current smash 4 roster, all that would be left are major characaters that simply punch and kick; the roster would be a whole heck of a lot more boring, and I can guarantee those people would whine about all their favorites being gone, too.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'm under the impression that Link isn't going to have a new moveset, and in some way, I'm going to delight in seeing fans who think otherwise to be sorely disappointed. I'll admit that if anything changes, it'll be bombs. After all, in spite of Samus having a new appearance from Metroid: Other M in Super Smash Bros. Wii U, her moveset has consistently remained the same. I see no reason for it to be any different for Link.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm under the impression that Link isn't going to have a new moveset, and in some way, I'm going to delight in seeing fans who think otherwise to be sorely disappointed. I'll admit that if anything changes, it'll be bombs. After all, in spite of Samus having a new appearance from Metroid: Other M in Super Smash Bros. Wii U, her moveset has consistently remained the same. I see no reason for it to be any different for Link.
Actually I agree with you here. Link's moveset very well represents his character in Zelda games as a whole, and we've already seen a complete series makeover from Ocarina of Time to Twilight Princess with all the Zelda characters and their movesets didn't really change at all (besides some tweaks). So yeah, they'll likely change the bombs to look like the Remote Bombs, remove the Gale Boomerang for a normal boomerang (or the cool Lizalfos Swords) and keep everything else the same.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
While i appreciate the support fondly, i kinda die a little inside everytime people support Simon Belmont only to complete the "Captain N" gang...

He means more than just your bad saturday morning cartoon *cries in a corner*

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'll miss the Twilight Princess designs when the game comes.

Deadmeme_21

Smash Rookie
NNID
brianross42
3DS FC
1435-7673-1144
-I think Sans could be an interesting fighter, and I like the idea of having him.
Why do so many people want sans? As a fan mod, he could have a great moveset, but the chances of him being in smash 5 are very slim.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Actually I agree with you here. Link's moveset very well represents his character in Zelda games as a whole, and we've already seen a complete series makeover from Ocarina of Time to Twilight Princess with all the Zelda characters and their movesets didn't really change at all (besides some tweaks). So yeah, they'll likely change the bombs to look like the Remote Bombs, remove the Gale Boomerang for a normal boomerang (or the cool Lizalfos Swords) and keep everything else the same.
Yeah, the Gale Boomerang would be the only thing I'd see being changed in terms of functionality. Bombs would be a visual difference. So would the Hookshot (we know they had one planned for BotW but scrapped it, I think we'll see the design used here). Heck, they MIGHT even change Link's Shield to be Daruk's Protection (just make it faceted instead of spherical), or other visual changes like that.

But I too think he'll be very close to the same, functionally.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Super Mario is over represented
Captain Toad is a terrible idea
Donkey Kong would be fine in terms of representation if it got an Assist Trophy
Zelda needs updated designs more than a newcomer
I side with Sakurai on Ridley, not that I won't complain if he found a way to make him work realistically,
Bandana Dee is a perfect match for an Assist Trophy
F-Zero could offer a more interesting newcomer than most talked about franchises
Bring back New Pork City
Fire Emblem is not over represented
Wario Land > Wario Ware
Kid Icarus salt is undeserved
Would be okay with Alph becoming his own character, Rock Pikmin would also be cool as an Assist Trophy
There is no good new Animal Crossing rep
Xenoblade makes way too much sense for a newcomer, much more so than any other veteran franchise
Mii Fighters should return and have a newcomer (Magician/Mage?)
Pac-Land was an awesome stage and I hope it returns
Dragon Quest > Kingdom Hearts
I still don't care for Bayonetta "shrugs"
For Glory salt is hypocritical of the Smash community
Stage/Item/Assist Trophy representation is all too often overlooked, Ex. Zelda/Metroid in Smash 4

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
Idk how unpopular this is but
Brinstar Depths and Norfair > Brinstar (By Far imo)

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Unpopular Smash Opinion Incoming: I want Gooey from Kirby's Dream Land 3 in the game xD

I side with Sakurai on Ridley, not that I won't complain if he found a way to make him work realistically,
I agree, tiny Ridley would be a tad weird, but if Sakurai can make it work I'm fine with it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy Kong shouldn't be nerfed.
Cloud should be removed
Smadh 4 legde mechanics are the best yet
Hyrule Warriors should be able to have effect in newcomers and moveset revamps : Ganondorf and Impa
I don't really want the Ice Climbers back
Fire Emblem deserves a newcomer and doesn't need cuts inthe roster
Clones are good, if they make sense
I wouldn't even really mind if Ganondorf got cut
Dixie Kong is honestly and logically speaking more deserving than King K.Rool as a newcomer. Still want K.Rool however.
Retros are a forced concept. Wouldn't even mind every retro character moved if needed
Glory Glory is good

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Diddy Kong shouldn't be nerfed.
Cloud should be removed
Smadh 4 legde mechanics are the best yet
Hyrule Warriors should be able to have effect in newcomers and moveset revamps : Ganondorf and Impa
I don't really want the Ice Climbers back
Fire Emblem deserves a newcomer and doesn't need cuts inthe roster
Clones are good, if they make sense
I wouldn't even really mind if Ganondorf got cut
Dixie Kong is honestly and logically speaking more deserving than King K.Rool as a newcomer. Still want K.Rool however.
Retros are a forced concept. Wouldn't even mind every retro character moved if needed
Glory Glory is good
Glory Glory?

ShadowYoshi04

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-9785-8173
Simon Belmont is extremely boring and shouldn’t be added over Bomberman and Snake.

Wii Fit Trainer is uninteresting and shouldn’t have been added.

Sora is near impossible.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I genuinely had no clue this existed so I’ll copy-paste here with a few extras.

Unpopular opinions:

If you really want to go by the “representation” factor then DK and Metroid technically don’t need newcomers, DK and Diddy are the two main protagonists of their series who are still part of the Mario cast and Samus is pretty much the sole face of Metroid...aside from the literal Metroid.

Sakurai should step down eventually, not because it’ll guarantee my favorite character will get in (that’s horribly shallow) but because of the questionable decisions he makes in general, not just the roster.

I’m sick of “anime styled/realistic” characters and I’m hoping they’ll be dialed down for Smash Switch in favor of more cartoony characters.

I like expanding on existing franchises more than bringing new ones.

I wouldn’t care if Jigglypuff got booted.

Mewtwo was overrated during the Sm4sh speculation days, people acted as if he was never gonna come back.

I prefer the series taking a casual approach again (Brawl minus random tripping) instead of pandering to competitive players. (Melee)

I prefer Kanto Pokemon for Smash over other Gens.

Wii Fit Trainer to this day is still a ridiculously stupid character by concept but atleast she’s acceptable as a WTF choice so whatever.

You may release your flames but keep in mind, these thoughts do not reflect on what I actually what to happen to the series. (Except for some of Sakurai’s choices, he’s a great guy but man.)

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wii **** Trainer is uninteresting and shouldn’t have been added.
You're free not to like Wii Fit Trainer.

But insults like this just make you seem like a tool.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I don’t get why people praise Sakurai constantly. All of his best work since Melee has been in games that AREN’T Smash Bros, he lies and breaks his own rules constantly to suit his own desires, and very blatantly favors certain properties over others. The fact that he unironically refuses to add a highly requested character because “he’s too hard ),:” is absolutely baffling and even moreso that people accepted it as a reasonable answer. Smash needs new blood more than anything else, and I honestly haven’t been excited for a Smash Bros game since Brawl because of Sakurai’s design philosophy. Most infuriating of all is seeing people demand that you should be grateful for what you get, as if we aren’t spending money on a product and that because Sakurai “works hard” he is above criticism.

Above all, Sakurai was given a golden goose of a franchise. You could’ve given Smash Bros to any idiot and it would’ve performed well. It is not hard to make a game about Nintendo characters fighting sell well or be highly praised. Even the original “platforming Fighter” concept originated in another game title before it morphed into Smash Bros.
Yes yes yes.

I'd much rather see Sakurai doing stuff with KI again, and hand the reigns over to a new director.

Other unpopular opinions:
  • As much as I want Mimikyu, I would really want Bewear in the game because no one would expect him.
  • DK has the most potential in getting a bunch of newcomers this time around, and I wouldn't be surprised we'd more than double the current DK lineup after DLC.
  • Sora is a lot more likely than people give him credit for.
  • Sakurai has clear bias towards his own creations; this isn't a slight against him (except his BS reasoning for Dark Pit), but more against people that defend the man to the grave.
  • I don't want Link and Zelda's movesets to change to represent BotW, their movesets definitely fit their roles in the Zelda series as a whole. Just buff them honestly.
Super Mario is over represented
Captain Toad is a terrible idea
Donkey Kong would be fine in terms of representation if it got an Assist Trophy
Zelda needs updated designs more than a newcomer
Bandana Dee is a perfect match for an Assist Trophy
F-Zero could offer a more interesting newcomer than most talked about franchises
Bring back New Pork City
Fire Emblem is not over represented
Wario Land > Wario Ware
Kid Icarus salt is undeserved
Would be okay with Alph becoming his own character, Rock Pikmin would also be cool as an Assist Trophy
There is no good new Animal Crossing rep
Xenoblade makes way too much sense for a newcomer, much more so than any other veteran franchise
Mii Fighters should return and have a newcomer (Magician/Mage?)
Pac-Land was an awesome stage and I hope it returns
Dragon Quest > Kingdom Hearts
I still don't care for Bayonetta "shrugs"
For Glory salt is hypocritical of the Smash community
Stage/Item/Assist Trophy representation is all too often overlooked, Ex. Zelda/Metroid in Smash 4
I have the opposite opinion on all but two or three of these and the very thought of that is really awesome!

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I have the opposite opinion on all but two or three of these and the very thought of that is really awesome!
Darn, a reasonable response. Could someone help me put out my flame shield? It's getting kind of hot. :sheep:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Insulting a character by replacing a part of their name is juvenile.

It's like what... 3rd graders do.

It just isn't very respectful to anyone involved.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Darn, a reasonable response. Could someone help me put out my flame shield? It's getting kind of hot. :sheep:
Hey, I have to follow my own rules too. What would I be if I didn't?

I just think it's cool seeing people posting on here totally opposite opinions, all under the idea of them being unpopular. Perception is their reality I guess.

Nani?

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4613-7779-1616
Switch FC
SW 2020-9361-5549
We don't need Sans. We just... We just don't. I have Undertale myself, but Sans for Smash? I'll pass. :p He wouldn't hurt, but I'm just not big on the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom