• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
Is it just me, or is the Inklings run animation really annoying, how they always are riding the paint?

To be honest, I haven't watched more than 5 minutes of Splatoon gameplay in my life, so I can't remember whether they have normal movement---pretty sure they do. The decision not to relegate the pool of paint riding thing they do to a fast crawl is a mistake to me.

This game's effects took heavy inspiration from Breath of The Wild's art style. The smoke effect for knockback looks exactly like the kind of smoke you'd see in it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I was convinced that Smash Ultimate was a not a port as soon as a right-handed BotW Link was shown in the announcement trailer.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Waluigi will be a character, just because of how the trailer was set up. Showing off Daisy, to then specifically show Waluigi as a Assist Trophy that you can K.O.

Basically Sakurai taking the piss out of Waluigi fans, to then at a later date (maybe DLC) add him.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Waluigi will be a character, just because of how the trailer was set up. Showing off Daisy, to then specifically show Waluigi as a Assist Trophy that you can K.O.

Basically Sakurai taking the piss out of Waluigi fans, to then at a later date (maybe DLC) add him.
That makes no sense.

D

Deleted member

TP Zelda is best Zelda.
Truth! Which is why I'm very sad she's gone.
And on that note, ALBW Zelda seems almost a little too cheery when she's fighting. Like if you can find a video of her doing her final smash it looks outright creepy "Muahahahahaha allow me to seal you with my Triforce of Wisdom yeehaha!!!"

And about Ridley...as I've said before I do think he's too small now. What I would have liked to see is Sakurai making him playable somehow (even as a playable boss) without compromising his size (or at least not as small as he is now). I mean at what point do we not shrink characters? Would Kraid make sense if they shrunk him down to the size of Bowser too? Can you imagine Mother Brain with her body shrunken down to that size? It would be laughable. Even in Ridley's reveal trailer they make him look as big as he should be and the first gameplay clip he's actually giant size as he lands on Pokemon Stadium, but then: o-oh, he's....small.

D

Deleted member

The future of the franchise, as much as we all want it to be, cannot be "port the same game forever with more characters". Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the peak as far as that is concerned and it's a matter of diminishing returns from here on out. There should not be another installment until say, fifteen years from now when a new generation of Nintendo characters are ripe for picking.

If we want to expand the franchise, Nintendo needs to consider taking it multimedia. Nintendo has some of the world's most recognizable characters and they're bound to draw a huge crowd no matter what arts & entertainment medium it is.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
The future of the franchise, as much as we all want it to be, cannot be "port the same game forever with more characters". Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the peak as far as that is concerned and it's a matter of diminishing returns from here on out. There should not be another installment until say, fifteen years from now when a new generation of Nintendo characters are ripe for picking.

If we want to expand the franchise, Nintendo needs to consider taking it multimedia. Nintendo has some of the world's most recognizable characters and they're bound to draw a huge crowd no matter what arts & entertainment medium it is.
Now you're giving me ideas about a Smash anime in the vein of Subspace Emissary, and it's giving me chills just thinking about it... don't get me excited like that, dude. You know these things are too good to be real.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I dislike the idea of echo characters, and I don't know why people have become so open to them. They take away from the uniqueness of other fighters, and feel like they clutter the roster. It's even worse because some echo fighters have the ability to be completely unique, but now they're just lazily thrown in.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Personally, I wish the Echo Fighters had just been relegated to alt costumes, and that Pichu, Dr. Mario and Young Link were also just alt costumes.

The only character I wish hadn’t returned at all was Pokemon Trainer. He really undermines Charizard. If they HAD to bring him back, I wish they’d left Charizard as a solo character and just gave Trainer a Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charmander.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
if you were to take every character who didn't technically fight within their original series out of the current smash 4 roster, all that would be left are major characaters that simply punch and kick
I mean...not REALLY.

You'd only end up losing:
Captain Falcon
Dr. Mario
Pokemon Trainer
Olimar
ROB
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Rosalina
Palutena
Duck Hunt

That's only 10 characters out of a list of 60+

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I mean...not REALLY.

You'd only end up losing:
Captain Falcon
Dr. Mario
Pokemon Trainer
Olimar
ROB
Villager
Wii Fit Trainer
Rosalina
Palutena
Duck Hunt

That's only 10 characters out of a list of 60+
And even out of those, Pokemon Trainer's kind of a stretch as he isn't the focus of his moveset; the Pokemon themselves are, which is accurate to his character.

Last edited:

ottobot

Smash Cadet
And even out of those, Pokemon Trainer's kind of a stretch as he isn't the focus of his moveset; the Pokemon themselves are, which is accurate to his character.
and olimar totally fights, he has an unconventional style for sure as a commander rather than a brawler, but his pikmin special moves incorporate it. OTOH, forgot spacies and sheik, who dont really fight in their games. (unless you count hyrule warriors, the non canon spinoff made by a 3rd party company after sheik was already added to smash)

Gerrothorax

Smash Apprentice
Pokemon Trainer is a dumb gimmick that should've stayed in brawl. Squirtle and Ivysaur should've just been brought back as their own unique fighters.

Electric-Gecko

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this is unpopular, but I'm happy that Krystal from Dinosaur Planet / Starfox Adventures isn't there, although I never expected her no matter how popular she seemed on these boards. To me, I wouldn't want her due to her tainted history. She designed as a protagonist for a new video game called "Dinosaur Planet", but then she and her game were overhauled into Star Fox Adventures, which was probably a bad idea. So do we include the version of her from an unreleased game, or a game that shouldn't have been made? But I haven't played SFA, or any Star Fox tbh.

Also, I don't think more characters is necessarily better. It can overcomplicate the game, and some characters just aren't worth being there.

I'm not necesarily against Daisy in Smash, but I think she should have been in Super Mario Oddysey or some other Super Mario first. For too long, she's been a pretty meaningless character, who only appears to fill rosters in multiplayer games.

Also, I really want Pit to have his Brawl moveset.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ok, since this is apparently an unpopular opinion overall, I am really really happy that Daisy got into Smash, and she got in exactly how I expected her to. Since Melee, Peach has had a Daisy recolor, so with what happened in Sm4sh with Alph, Koopalings, Dark Pit, Lucina, etc. it made sense to just upgrade that recolor into actually being Daisy. It was easy and made a lot of Daisy fans happy.

D

Deleted member

Now you're giving me ideas about a Smash anime in the vein of Subspace Emissary, and it's giving me chills just thinking about it... don't get me excited like that, dude. You know these things are too good to be real.
If that happened, or even just a good comic, I would never ask for anything again in my life. My life would literally be complete.

Electric-Gecko

Smash Cadet
Since Melee, Peach has had a Daisy recolor, so with what happened in Sm4sh with Alph, Koopalings, Dark Pit, Lucina, etc. it made sense to just upgrade that recolor into actually being Daisy. It was easy and made a lot of Daisy fans happy.
Actually, that makes sense. Imagine the surprise people would get if instead of putting her on the roster, they hid her as a recolour for Peach, just as Bowser Jr's recolours are the Koopalings.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Slippy would make for a great newcomer, and he has tons of moveset potential. I think people underestimate his chances, even though they still aren't particularly high.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm not necesarily against Daisy in Smash, but I think she should have been in Super Mario Oddysey or some other Super Mario first. For too long, she's been a pretty meaningless character, who only appears to fill rosters in multiplayer games.
She first appeared in Super Mario Land in 1989.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Half of Marth's recolors suck hard, he has 3 blues, the Black and the Red one are too similar, only the default, yellow and green are decent are good, and it needs fixing.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
- Not happy Link lost his tether. Also if they were going BOTW with him I would have rather they went full on rather than just bomb runes and the ancient arrow. After all, Toon Link and Young Link both now exist for their spin attacks and boomerangs.
- I see a lot of love for Zelda's new look but I kinda hate it. Much prefer TP Zelda.
- I would rather Impa be in Smash than Sheik yet again who is literally only in one canon Zelda game compared to Impa's several.
- I prefer Dixie over King K Rool to be in Ultimate, even if she's an echo fighter.
- I wanted Toad in more than Waluigi. (Still hope for Captain Toad I guess?)
- I wanted Eevee as the only Pokémon newcomer for Ultimate.

Last edited:

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
  • Pac-Man's colour swaps are extremely boring and lazy and seem like they could change more. Cloud could also use more noticeable changes to its swaps, I'd even say the same about Sonic, I don't like how it is mostly different wristbands and shoe colours and slightly different shades of blue.
  • Skyworld is one of my worst liked stages (imo, it is extremely poorly designed), Project M changed it a lot to make me like it more
  • A second Final Fantasy character would be cooler than a second Sonic character
  • I honestly wouldn't mind a 7th Fire Emblem Character (especially if it was Micaiah)
again, this is my opinion

kib_bles

Smash Rookie
I like the new cloud effects and the subtle tint they have. It's a nice visual that indicates who was sent flying and only provides more information to both players.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Half of Marth's recolors suck hard, he has 3 blues, the Black and the Red one are too similar, only the default, yellow and green are decent are good, and it needs fixing.
Still better than Cloud's who has gray, slightly blue-ish gray, slightly purple-ish gray, red-ish gray, a darker blue-ish purple-ish gray ...

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
I honestly don't see why people want Waluigi in Smash. I'm ok with new characters and it doesn't really effect me if he is in or not, but I don't see the importance of him. He never had his own game, he was only made as a foil to Luigi, he wasn't directly made from Nintendo, and he was originally made for a tennis game. He only has been in spinoff games, and even though he has his own personality he doesn't have much of an actual moveset to pull from unless you just make him a Mario spinoff character. Full of references to tennis, strikers, party and the such. I can see most of the other characters that people commonly request; Ashley, Decidueye, K. K. Rool, and Ridley (before he was announced); would be in they all have importance to their own series and actually have stuff to pull from.

If someone can give me a genuinely good reason as why he should be in aside from he's been in all the Mario off shoots I would appreciate it.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I really hope Sakurai doesn’t put actual wavedashing back in because of the outcry of the pro players. There’s already enough good tech to work with, so I’m not convinced this game is “dead on arrival” without it.

D

Deleted member

I'd much rather have no more newcomers and a bunch of great single player (/multiplayer) modes than like 9 more newcomers where the rest of the content is kinda tacked on. Stock matches are great and fun, but how about we had a 4th base mode for Smash? Another Subspace/Melee Adventure mode? A refined All Stars that won't take like 1½ hours because the roster is so goshdarn big?

The roster is too big for smash u guys

Also, a proper Smash Run mode with online? Yespls. A Smash Tour? Nah get dat shiz outta here. Half the budget spent on character trailers? Please don't do that again.
Subspace was really fun up 'till the great maze. A redefined variation of it with Smash Run enemies would do well for me. And bosses too, aw yir.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Even though this is a Smash 6 opinion, I've ruminated on it a bit and wanted to share.

Whenever the next Smash is released, likely in 4+ years after we get a successor to the Switch, I hope that the roster is condensed to more of a Brawl size, around 30-35 characters, and that every moveset and even the core gameplay is given a serious overhaul instead. The roster can only get so big, and if the goal of every game is simply to add as opposed to change, it'll get bloated and old.

I would really like to see a Smash that changes the core mechanics in significant ways, and puts us all back at the beginner level with total moveset overhauls for every character, so we can experience a Smash game like we did the first time. Ultimate is a fantastic way to celebrate the nearly two decades we've had with this series, and I love it. But next time? I want something groundbreaking and different.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I feel they should've commited to no transformations or to keep transformations.

Characters like Zelda/Sheik benefited from having one new move to work with on top of being balanced more individually do to their status as separate characters.

Meanwhile, Charizard is now back to being relegated to having no superarmor move on top of a precarious position of balancing due to the fear that if they buff or nerf Charizard, Squirtle, or Ivysaur, the rest of the Pokemon trainer's "balance" would be disrupted.

If they really wanted to bring back Pokemon Trainers, they could've just relegated Red to Charizard, Blue to Squirtle, and Green to Ivysaur. Then each of them could be balanced individually instead of someone like Charizard being switched out primarily for his recovery while Squirtle is used 80% of the match.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
This hype cycle has been far too filled with third party characters and absurd ideas for characters. Hearing people recommend Sans, Solaire, and Master Chief make me groan beyond belief. Nintendo characters or third party characters who have earned a significant reputation in gaming are the only ones deserving of a spot in the game and they need to have some affiliation with Nintendo. Bayonetta for all intensive purposes is a Nintendo character now, and Cloud represents long standing partnership between Square Enix and Nintendo. No, they don't open the floodgates for any character and their mother.

Most people just got on the Crash bandwagon because the N'Sane trilogy got announced for Switch. I have no problem with him being in the game, but I think most of his support came from what shouldn't amount to a huge announcement and the fanfare for Crash really wasn't there beforehand. Some people did support him, but I doubt there was any consideration of him prior to the March direct in all honesty.

New Pork City needed to come back since it was actually the perfect sort of stage for 8 player Smash, should have been in Smash 4 to begin with.

I get the idea that Mii Fighters coming back supports the everyone is here motif, but they always felt like far too large of a development sink in terms of how much effort got put into them. I didn't like how much attention they got in 4, and if I'd even got a single new character in Ultimate out of them being excluded I would make that trade in a heartbeat. Miis have practically died with the Wii U anyway, and it's not really "Playing as Anyone" They lack polish or excitement.

People need to stop with the relevance arguments. Smash is a celebration of Nintendo, and pulling out fan favorite classic characters that haven't been seen in some time is the ultimate celebration of Nintendo. Smash isn't exclusively an advertising platform as some people claim it to be, and we've seen plenty of minor and strange characters make it already.

Mario, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon can all get new reps as long as they're interesting and worthwhile additions.

Waluigi being an Assist Trophy isn't a huge deal. He would have been neat, but I don't think he's that important of an addition yet when characters like King K. Rool and Geno are bigger fan favorites that we've still yet to see.

Echo fighters seem to need to be very close to the original fighter in terms of how they play, so I think a lot of people are making crazy predictions about Echo characters that won't actually work. What most people are describing are semi-clones and are probably part of the thing they claim to dislike so much.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Even though this is a Smash 6 opinion, I've ruminated on it a bit and wanted to share.

Whenever the next Smash is released, likely in 4+ years after we get a successor to the Switch, I hope that the roster is condensed to more of a Brawl size, around 30-35 characters, and that every moveset and even the core gameplay is given a serious overhaul instead. The roster can only get so big, and if the goal of every game is simply to add as opposed to change, it'll get bloated and old.

I would really like to see a Smash that changes the core mechanics in significant ways, and puts us all back at the beginner level with total moveset overhauls for every character, so we can experience a Smash game like we did the first time. Ultimate is a fantastic way to celebrate the nearly two decades we've had with this series, and I love it. But next time? I want something groundbreaking and different.
I totally agree and it sounds like Sakurai is thinking the same way. He said something along the lines of “i don’t think we’ll be able to do anything this big again”. Which admittedly could be a load of marketing mumbo jumbo but kinda makes sense.

Quetza

Smash Rookie
I really want Lanky Kong as a joke character for this installment and I'm not sure who would be this one's Retro

AquaSol

Smash Apprentice
There is no way that all these characters are coming back for future installments. I'd love to see it, but it's probably not realistic.

Impa is an extremely boring Zelda newcomer. So far, the Zelda representation consists of three Links, Zelda and Sheik (who are the same entity) and Falcondorf. We already have many nimble ninja-type characters, and Impa would just be another one of those archetypes. Not included disconfirmed characters, Skull Kid is the best choice in my opinion.

We need more gimmick characters. Summoners, mounted characters, size changers, trios - these types of newcomers are the most interesting in my opinion.

In terms of importance: Mario=Luigi=Peach=Bowser > Bowser Jr. > Rosalina & Luma >>> Daisy >>>>> Dr. Mario. Mario may be the most best selling and most popular video game franchise of all time, but we need to stop at Waluigi and Toad.

Most of the Mario characters are portrayed so poorly. Gritty Mario, weird Luigi, and gross Wario. Bowser doesn't have his voice. The Koopaling alts. were a terrible idea - they never used the Clown Car or turned into Shadow Mario and take away from Bowser Jr.'s inclusion.

Dixie Kong is the only remaining Nintendo All-Star. I definitely want a lot more characters (including K. Rool), but I thinks she's the only one that's truly missing after Inkling and Ridley got in.

Master Chief and Kratos would be ground-breaking and amazing additions to the cast. It's a pipe dream, but I think it would be so cool.

Gematsu was absolutely an early roster draft, and I think that a Rhythm Heaven rep is happening this game. Sakurai probably told the Rhythm Heaven developers that he intended to add one of their characters. For him to say that, then exclude them, then exclude them again in a new game not hindered by technical limitations would be a slap in the face. It will probably be the Chorus Kids as an Ice Climbers +1 type fighter.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Dark samus would make a terrible Echo fighter, she need to be a semi clone at minimum to actually work. Sylux would be so much a better choice, replace charge beam with Shock Coil (an electric flamethrower mostly) morphball with lockjaw and regular bombs with electric bomb and he is ready.

I love "Small" Ridley . I really prefer Ridley not being massive, and i think the main reason why he started being so masive was due to metroid prime meta ridley, but in metroid prime ALL the bosses are massive. and i hope smash Ridley manages to influence Metroid future Ridleys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom