• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I refuse to play Breath of The Wild solely because Link is right handed (There is a long rant behind that). I've got too many other games I would rather spend my time on and I'm not going to force myself to play it like I did with Skyward Sword.
I understand totally. That's the exact reason I refused Skyward Sword. I thought I was the only one who was pissed enough about that.

I will say I got over it enough to play BotW, and loved it, but that may also be because I love Bethesda RPGs and it really felt like one. Of course, if Link had had his proper hand, it would have been better.

Last edited:

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
IMO, the whole argument over having more Mario characters is kinda annoying.
Mario series has a lot of good characters, so having a lot of Mario Characters shouldn't be an issue, not to mention that the Mario series is such a huge series for Nintendo.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
More Mario, Fire Emblem, and Pokmeon characters are always good. I know all 3 of these series have a lot of reps, but they all sell really well, and are hugely popular. I wouldn't mind if we got a couple new characters from each franchise (obviously it won't be the case with so little newcomers, but if it were)

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Western Indie characters have no business being in a Smash game. Shovel Knight and Shantae do not belong.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Talking about Mimikyu, Decidueye and etc, I'm kind of the opposite of what I saw recently in this thread: if a Gen VII Pokémon that isn't Mimikyu is made playable, I'll be quite disappointed. Nothing that would make me give up of buying the game obviously, but the disappointment would be there (I mean it's weird to say "disappointment" if they didn't promise us anything, but you get my point). I guess I'm not really fond of the other two choices seen as most likely (Lycanroc and especially Decidueye). Unless if they get some really awesome movesets, but idk. I'm kind of the same if anyone other than Elma is made playable in Smash from Xenoblade, but in a lesser scale. I'm really rarely disappointed by character choices like this, I think those two cases and if another Metroid character got in and Ridley didn't are the only ones that come to mind

On other topic, I really... Dislike the BOTW stage they chose. It's just... a tower. Felt really lazy to me. Regardless of it being iconic or not. I still think that Hyrule Field with some random stage hazards like a Guardian appearing in the background and shooting players would be much cooler and much more BOTWish than... a tower. It's the only major gripe I have with Ultimate so far, otherwise my few other remarks are so minor that I really don't mind them

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I've no qualms with the number of Super Mario, The Legend of Zelda, or Pokemon characters. These are Nintendo's 'big three'. Although with 8-Player Smash, I think eight characters from each would be ideal.

I think Fire Emblem is worth 3-4 characters, max.

I prefer 3rd Parties to be one from each company, with three total. Although with 8-Player Smash, I'm more lenient towards seven total.

Smash 4's DLC after Mewtwo and Lucas was awful. It killed the game for me, and it hurt the competitive scene as well.

Decidueye and Lycanroc are even in terms of chance, with both having merits that could give them an edge over the other. Incineroar is an underdog that shouldn't be underestimated. Mimikyu is less likely than Tapu Koko.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
On other topic, I really... Dislike the BOTW stage they chose. It's just... a tower. Felt really lazy to me. Regardless of it being iconic or not. I still think that Hyrule Field with some random stage hazards like a Guardian appearing in the background and shooting players would be much cooler and much more BOTWish than... a tower. It's the only major gripe I have with Ultimate so far, otherwise my few other remarks are so minor that I really don't mind them
Yeah I'm not too fond of BotW's stage idea either. I mean, if the stage switched between various different towers throughout BotW's map, giving you different backgrounds to enjoy the fight in, then I might have liked it a bit more. But with just Great Plateau Tower, I feel like there where better locations to choose from.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I actually don’t know if this is unpopular because I haven’t checked out the Link page yet but I think Link (OG Link) should have gotten a new moveset based on his BotW Sheikah slate and Champion’s powers.

More than just remotely detonated bombs.

I mean there are 2 other Links to carry on the torch of the original moveset.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
Talking about Mimikyu, Decidueye and etc, I'm kind of the opposite of what I saw recently in this thread: if a Gen VII Pokémon that isn't Mimikyu is made playable, I'll be quite disappointed. Nothing that would make me give up of buying the game obviously, but the disappointment would be there (I mean it's weird to say "disappointment" if they didn't promise us anything, but you get my point). I guess I'm not really fond of the other two choices seen as most likely (Lycanroc and especially Decidueye). Unless if they get some really awesome movesets, but idk. I'm kind of the same if anyone other than Elma is made playable in Smash from Xenoblade, but in a lesser scale. I'm really rarely disappointed by character choices like this, I think those two cases and if another Metroid character got in and Ridley didn't are the only ones that come to mind

Agreed on the pokemon thing. I kinda hate both Decidueye and Lycanroc (gross evos from good base forms imo) and Mimikyu is far and away the best Gen 7 design as far I'm concerned. I also wouldn't mind not getting a new Pokemon at all lol.

Also, I'd rather get Rex than Elma if I could only choose one, but I wouldn't mind having Elma in the base roster and getting Rex as DLC later so we can have all 3 Xenoblade protags in this game. Even better if Rex and Elma are both in the base game (unlikely).

Acrete

Smash Cadet
I love griefing other players online with low tier characters.

I especially love when they are high tier like Mario, sheik or Bayonetta.

I plan on doing the same thing in smash switch.

D

Deleted member

I don't like it when generic enemies are added as Assist Trophies, especially if they also act as generic enemies in Smash Run/Subspace.
It's not a huge deal and I can live with some of them (Burrowing Snagret is really the only option for a Pikmin AT, while Lakitu's 8-bit sprite is visually different enough for me to give it a pass), but Starman, Knuckle Joe, Metroid, and Hammer Bro all need to go.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd much rather have more clones and semi clones over echo fighters if we have to get some last minute additions.
Echo fighters are way too restrictive and if you're just going to make a bunch of glorified alts, then just keep them as alternate costumes altogether.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I want there to be another character ballot.

I don't want the results shown.

I then want Sakurai to force Hatsune Miku on us.

Then tell us all it was the number one most realizable character.

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I'm not really a fan of how characters face the screen. I understand the reasoning but it just annoys me that the characters are basically doing a 120/240 degree turn around instead of a 180. Also it looks weird how they're moving left and right, but they're facing a different axis.

While I agree the knockback needs to be tweaked, I don't really mind how BKB seems to be higher. If it makes the game go faster I'll gladly take it over 4's throw autocombos. Kill confirms should definitely still be in the game, but connecting two moves together is barely a combo in my book anyway.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'd much rather have more clones and semi clones over echo fighters if we have to get some last minute additions.
Echo fighters are way too restrictive and if you're just going to make a bunch of glorified alts, then just keep them as alternate costumes altogether.
Did I miss something? Is there a difference between "clones" and "echo fighters"?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Did I miss something? Is there a difference between "clones" and "echo fighters"?
From what I understood. Clones/semi clones have difference in animations and properties within their moveset. They can have different moves if any existing ones don't work out for them.
Echo fighters are essentially just glorified alternate costumes with some minor differences in idle animations or properties, their generally also much more restrictive as the characters they can be cloned from need to have the exact same body proportions and skeletal structures. The only unique move they can have is their Final Smash if Dark Pit is anything to go by.

Overall, from the rules laid out as far as Echo fighters go, their way too restrictive and they may not even have much of a future either as they may continue following the source character for future games on rather than potential differentiation in future games. (At least, if Dark Pit and Lucina are anything to go by)

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
From what I understood. Clones/semi clones have difference in animations and properties within their moveset. They can have different moves if any existing ones don't work out for them.
Echo fighters are essentially just glorified alternate costumes with some minor differences in idle animations or properties, their generally also much more restrictive as the characters they can be cloned from need to have the exact same body proportions and skeletal structures. The only unique move they can have is their Final Smash if Dark Pit is anything to go by.

Overall, from the rules laid out as far as Echo fighters go, their way too restrictive and they may not even have much of a future either as they may continue following the source character for future games on rather than potential differentiation in future games. (At least, if Dark Pit and Lucina are anything to go by)
Do you remember Melee clones? They are pretty close to what we got.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Do you remember Melee clones? They are pretty close to what we got.
Yeah Melee clones where very similar too, though even the likes of Young Link and Pichu had a larger difference in height and speed. Pichu in particular also had a few different moves. Melee's clones where probably the closest things we had to "echo fighters".

Eitherway, what I'm trying to say is that I hope that Sakurai doesn't restrict himself too much when it comes to designing the new clones with these arbitrary rules. If we have to get more clone characters, please let them be more like Brawl's clones, I'll even take Melee. Just not too many clones like Dark Pit please.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah Melee clones where very similar too, though even the likes of Young Link and Pichu had a larger difference in height and speed. Pichu in particular also had a few different moves. Melee's clones where probably the closest things we had to "echo fighters".

Eitherway, what I'm trying to say is that I hope that Sakurai doesn't restrict himself too much when it comes to designing the new clones with these arbitrary rules. If we have to get more clone characters, please let them be more like Brawl's clones, I'll even take Melee. Just not too many clones like Dark Pit please.
Then you have Doc who is, well, he was in the clone corner in 4.

Brawl also didn't introduce any new clones. I wish they had given Lucina and Dark Pit the same treatment they gave the likes of Falco.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Then you have Doc.

Brawl also didn't introduce any new clones. I wish they had given Lucina and Dark Pit the same treatment they gave the likes of Falco.
Brawl differentiated the Melee clones into semi clones. It did introduce some new semi clones in Toon Link and (I'll probably get lynched for it) Lucas. Toon Zelda was also in the plans who would have probably gotten a similar treatment as Toon Link and who knows what they had in plans for Dixie Kong (outside of the tag team mechanic for Diddy)

Eitherway, that's just my opinion in regards to the whole echo fighter thing, I guess I'll just leave it at that.

Oddball

Smash Lord

So basically what you're saying is that one is is almost exactly alike except for a few small differences while the other is almost exactly the same except for a few different things.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Forgot about Toon Link. He may count as a clone. Lucas may have similar physics, but his moves are overall significantly different.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So basically what you're saying is that one is is almost exactly alike except for a few small differences while the other is almost exactly the same except for a few different things.
Basically what I'm saying is, I want clones to be more like Toon Link or Falco and less like Dark Pit.

That's all.

Last edited:

EMY**

Smash Rookie
Goku deserves to be In Smash way more than someone like Waluigi

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
Basically what I'm saying is, I want clones to be more like Toon Link or Falco and less like Dark Pit.

That's all.
The term "clone" doesn't really exist anymore now that we have the term echo fighters. Former clones like Toon Link, Lucas, Falco, Dr. Mario, and Roy became more of their own characters overtime so the Smash community called them "semi-clones" because while the may have the same "style" specials they play very different from the character they are based on.

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
I didn’t even know that people cared about Waluigi. Meanwhile Goku is a household name around the globe, with tons of successful video game franchises.
I'm not saying it's impossible but very unlikely considering Sakurai has said that to be in Smash you have to have originated from a video game. But he might make an exception for Goku considering he is popular enough. If we don't see him revealed at Evo after the Dragon Ball FighterZ tournament, then we won't see him at all.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I didn’t even know that people cared about Waluigi. Meanwhile Goku is a household name around the globe, with tons of successful video game franchises.
Based on that logic, would you have the same level of support for... oh let's say Batman or Mickey Mouse?

OhMyBanana54

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1628-5145-3801
I’m completely in favor of adding non-video game characters to Smash. I would love to fight Mickey Mouse or Goku as Mario and I would even support a Nintendo X Disney themed Smash Bros after Smash Ultimate.

EMY**

Smash Rookie
Based on that logic, would you have the same level of support for... oh let's say Batman or Mickey Mouse?
yes if I’m being honest. Batman in smash would be legendary. Welp if there’s another ballot I know who I’m voting for.

Troykv

Smash Master
I don't like it when generic enemies are added as Assist Trophies, especially if they also act as generic enemies in Smash Run/Subspace.
It's not a huge deal and I can live with some of them (Burrowing Snagret is really the only option for a Pikmin AT, while Lakitu's 8-bit sprite is visually different enough for me to give it a pass), but Starman, Knuckle Joe, Metroid, and Hammer Bro all need to go.
Maybe the Knuckle Joe was a bit helped for having a role in the anime.

The rest of the enemies you mentioned (included Lakitu); while don't having names; I personally think are supposed to be seen as Elite Mooks; some of the most powerful and threating normal enemies in their respective games (and in Metroid's case, even been their franchise's namesake).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom