• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind someone who was primarily a bow user. It'd be interesting how they would make that work. Granted I don't know how many Nintendo games have a relevant character with a bow, besides Fire Emblem. I wouldn't mind one being used if they were to make another FE representation.

I don't know how popular/unpopular this is and it seems like I'm being ungrateful for the amount of stages we now have, but none of the new stages really impress me all that much. They just don't feel like they have the same amount of passion in them opposed to the previous stages from all the other games. Could just be nostalgia and I will see in time.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I wish they added more than 4 (9). Also, we were like 15 or so stages from having all of them. I wish we had them except maybe the two Flatzones since X covers them.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I wish they added more than 4 (9). Also, we were like 15 or so stages from having all of them. I wish we had them except maybe the two Flatzones since X covers them.
It baffles me, personally, that Mute City Melee isn't back even though Mute City 3DS was renamed to Mute City SNES... despite being the only Mute City stage in the game. I want Mute City back, dammit!

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Honestly equating the Pits and the Links with "bow users" because of their neutral specials is no different from equating Bowser and Ridley with "grapplers" because of their side specials.
I don't think it's about their specials really, it's just more from an out-and-out playstyle perspective Incineroar was by far the more unique of the two when it came down to potential designs in Smash. We have a million zoners, not many if any at all real grapplers.

Arthur97

Smash Master
It baffles me, personally, that Mute City Melee isn't back even though Mute City 3DS was renamed to Mute City SNES... despite being the only Mute City stage in the game. I want Mute City back, dammit!
Maybe it was planned. We can hope for DLC. I'd probably like the last few stages over fighters at this point. Like, the Donkey Kong stage from Wii U.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Tbf they had some reasons as to why all the stages weren't back. Be it similarity to other stages (like Brawl's F-Zero stage), awkwardly working with this game (Stage Morph for some stages?, Donkey Kong Wii U stage in handheld mode) or lacking function now (Miiverse, Pyrosphere)

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
On the topic of bow users, I would be happy to see Linkle in the game (despite her stupid name) as she would play in a very fun and unique manner.

Maybe that counts as unpopular? I don't really see anyone campaigning for her or anything. If there's anything we need in the game it's a fourth Link, right?

Arthur97

Smash Master
What about Infinite Glacier or Poke Floats? Besides, similarity shouldn't stand in the way of having them all.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Well as they say three is company but four is---wait.

I can't believe I've forgotten about Mute City. I guess I just took the newer version as the remaster, but the old one definitely looks to have more life to it. We need that.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind someone who was primarily a bow user. It'd be interesting how they would make that work. Granted I don't know how many Nintendo games have a relevant character with a bow, besides Fire Emblem. I wouldn't mind one being used if they were to make another FE representation.

I don't know how popular/unpopular this is and it seems like I'm being ungrateful for the amount of stages we now have, but none of the new stages really impress me all that much. They just don't feel like they have the same amount of passion in them opposed to the previous stages from all the other games. Could just be nostalgia and I will see in time.
Look up a character named "Morgan" in gameplay of a game called "Aquapazza" to see how cool a true archer can be. Also Hawkeye in MvC3 is neat, though kind of bad.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
On the topic of bow users, I would be happy to see Linkle in the game (despite her stupid name) as she would play in a very fun and unique manner.

Maybe that counts as unpopular? I don't really see anyone campaigning for her or anything. If there's anything we need in the game it's a fourth Link, right?
Linkle is actually one of my most wanted Zelda characters for that reason. Using double crossbows would be interesting; she would be able to load the projectile and store it for later. They could simply use them in some of her normals too (like how mii gunner or mega man do).

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'm all for having Mute City from Melee and Poke Floats back. I don't see the appeal in Infinite Glacier, in fact, I was sure that those kind of vertical scrolling stages aren't normally well received, but if some like it then sure, why not.
I'm also an advocate for Orbital Assault Gate, one of the most dynamic and beautiful-looking stages in the series, and I hope to see it back.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Icicle Mountain was the best scrolling stage (which is a very low bar to clear) because it only moved in one direction, not all over the place. Orbital Assault Gate can take its worthless, wasted year of development time and go rot in a basement somewhere.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I greatly dislike the "Everyone is here" that Smash has necessarily introduced, more and more everyday day. Its one of the worst scenarios that could have happened. I always envision there was a greater sacrifice to it, we would have been waaaay better off without.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I just want Pac-Maze back. I don't care at all about the mechanic, it's the only sensible Pac-Man stage and you really, really don't need the pellet mechanic. It's the only stage's absence I genuinely don't understand. The most iconic stage for Pac-Man ever? Nah, put in that specific reference to a dated platformer as his one stage...

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I never got the argument that Decidueye was redundant compared to Incineroar because we have five characters who use a bow attack, but no true grapplers. If we took one special attack and decided that was all that was needed to be an archer type character, wouldn't every character be a grappler because every character grabs their opponents and can throw them down?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I never got the argument that Decidueye was redundant compared to Incineroar because we have five characters who use a bow attack, but no true grapplers. If we took one special attack and decided that was all that was needed to be an archer type character, wouldn't every character be a grappler because every character grabs their opponents and can throw them down?
Its more or less hindsight bias for the most part. Had we gotten Decidueye instead, most people would have justified that choice while downplaying Incineroar's potential.

I never really cared about either choices mind you. But that's usually how things tend to play out within the Smash community, with people overpraising the characters that are in while downplaying the ones that arent. (until they are in as well ironically) The only exception to this has been Corrin as far as non clone/echo/surprise/competitively broken characters go.

But yeah, calling the Link's and Pit's archers just because of one attack is like calling Mario a water based fighter.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130

Linkle is actually one of my most wanted Zelda characters for that reason. Using double crossbows would be interesting; she would be able to load the projectile and store it for later. They could simply use them in some of her normals too (like how mii gunner or mega man do).
Personally my issue with Linkle would be that she barely adds anything in terms of representing the Zelda series. I know she's not literally Link, but it'd feel like we were adding another one. If anything, it'd be worse, as you could at least do something more out there with another Link, such a Wolf Link + Midna combo.

It also doesn't help that she looks (and is named) too similar to most of the Zelda cast in Smash: 5/6 of the characters are blonde-haired, blue-eyed (or Red, in Sheik's case) humans. While all of these characters are effectively only two characters, I feel that this is more than just a nitpick: adding another similarly designed character (seriously Linkle just looks like Zelda trying to cosplay Link) with a similar name makes the Zelda series look creatively bankrupt, as if they were only able to produce endless variations on a few character designs.

Maybe I'm making too much of this, but I feel it does the series and its creativity a disservice by ignoring all the other characters and races like the Gorons, Zoras etc. On a related note, this is why I imagine people unfamiliar with Fire Emblem might develop a negative image of the series if they only know it through Smash: their perception might be that the majority of its output is blue-haired swordsmen.

... Having said all this, I wouldn't object to Linkle being in Smash on principle. I just think there are a dozen or so characters from Zelda I'd rather see in first.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Maybe I'm making too much of this, but I feel it does the series and its creativity a disservice by ignoring all the other characters and races like the Gorons, Zoras etc. On a related note, this is why I imagine people unfamiliar with Fire Emblem might develop a negative image of the series if they only know it through Smash: their perception might be that the majority of its output is blue-haired swordsmen.
I never understood this logic, to be honest. It's not like playable characters are the only sort of character representation and Spirits/trophies/stickers, background characters or item summons don't exist.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I never understood this logic, to be honest. It's not like playable characters are the only sort of character representation and Spirits/trophies/stickers, background characters or item summons don't exist.
Yeah but they're the main and most visible kind of representation: spirits are not something you spend a whole lot of time looking at when they're little more than PNGs with no flavour text. Trophies had a bit more going for them, but they no longer exist in Ultimate, so hey

As it's currently represented, with 5/6 of the cast being the same two characters, it makes it look like Zelda has some weird obsession with blonde-haired people with blue eyes and pointy ears when there's a hell of a lot of other fantasy races present in the series which are no more than spirits or, if an assist, you have a 1/60 something chance of actually summoning

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
It'd be different if the spirit stickers had some kind of information to go along with them. Half of the spirit roster I'm thinking who is this? At least all the other games had trophies that expanded on the lore and where they came from.

I got to agree, I wouldn't mind Linkle if she was in but wouldn't we all rather have another representation that didn't seem to be a doppleganger of some sort, even if in female version. I doubt we would be getting her, but if she was to say be part of the dlc packet I can't say I would be really excited. Unless her moveset was completely different then all the different Links.

D

Deleted member

The only ones who say Incineroar is a product of rushed development are the ones who just can't accept the fact their favorite Pokemon didn't get in instead and are too salty to actually think logically. Instead coming up with excuse after excuse as to why Incineroar got in because it CLEARLY wasn't because out of all options it stood out the most to Sakurai. Because Sakurai would have obviously picked their favorite if he "had time" to do so as their favorite is the most special of snowflakes that he couldn't possibly have left out willingly.

And a majority of those people are Lycanroc supporters. Go figure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
As it's currently represented, with 5/6 of the cast being the same two characters, it makes it look like Zelda has some weird obsession with blonde-haired people with blue eyes and pointy ears
But the series does have an obsession with blonde-haired people with blue eyes and pointy ears.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
But the series does have an obsession with blonde-haired people with blue eyes and pointy ears.
Who are effectively always the same few characters - variations of Link and Zelda. My point is that the series has a lot more to offer than that, and now that Smash has the core trio of Link/Zelda/Ganon, it'd be nice to see these other characters being playable.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I'd be down for Tingle. That's about it, to be honest. Linkle would play in a much more interesting way than Wolf Link, I think, which I think should be a far larger factor than absolutely anything else--how fun the character would be to hold in your hands and use. Impa has fans but even she's not that relevant of a character in the overall scheme of the series, and she would just be a combination of Sheik and Cloud, two playstyles that already exist in the game. Midna was in all of one game. Same for Skull Kid.

That's true for most Zelda characters, actually. The characters we have, we have because... well, they were actually in more than one Zelda game. When you put it into those terms there just aren't a lot of Zelda candidates that would actually represent the series, as opposed to representing one single game.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Impa would play too similiarily to Shiek. I wouldn't mind Tingle lol, he'd probably be a gag/joke fighter and that'd be fun to mess with. Even if he does creep me out a little.

Also they made PiranahPlant a figther, so maybe they could throw in some underling from Zelda.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I'd be down for Tingle. That's about it, to be honest. Linkle would play in a much more interesting way than Wolf Link, I think, which I think should be a far larger factor than absolutely anything else--how fun the character would be to hold in your hands and use. Impa has fans but even she's not that relevant of a character in the overall scheme of the series, and she would just be a combination of Sheik and Cloud, two playstyles that already exist in the game. Midna was in all of one game. Same for Skull Kid.

That's true for most Zelda characters, actually. The characters we have, we have because... well, they were actually in more than one Zelda game. When you put it into those terms there just aren't a lot of Zelda candidates that would actually represent the series, as opposed to representing one single game.
I don't get why a character only being in one game should be an impediment: not each character has to represent the entire series; instead, each character can represent a part of the series - the entire series would be represented (as best as possible) as the Zelda cast collectively

Plus we can't say that 'x character would play like this if they were in, hence they'd be more/less interesting' as we have no idea how Sakurai would choose to implement them. Rough ideas, maybe, but concrete feel what the character would be to 'hold in your hands' unless you really were holding them in your hands and playing them in the game

Tingle would be alright I suppose

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I think it could be interesting to see how they could implement a Poe into Zelda. It'd be the first ghost fighter and they've been a staple throughout Zelda. The other ones are DekuBaba but that is too close to PP and Octorok/Deku Scrub and I feel they'd be to similiar another plant-based fighter.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I think it could be interesting to see how they could implement a Poe into Zelda. It'd be the first ghost fighter and they've been a staple throughout Zelda. The other ones are DekuBaba but that is too close to PP and Octorok/Deku Scrub and I feel they'd be to similiar another plant-based fighter.
I'd love to see something like that but realistically Mario's probably the only series where ordinary enemies are iconic enough to find a place on the roster. A Wizzrobe could be fun though

Twilight Princess Zelda had brown hair though.
Oh yeah - forgot about her (though I doubt we'll be seeing her in Smash again tbh)

Even though she's specifically meant to be from Alttp/ALBW, Ultimate's Zelda does feel much more of a composite

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The only ones who say Incineroar is a product of rushed development are the ones who just can't accept the fact their favorite Pokemon didn't get in instead and are too salty to actually think logically. Instead coming up with excuse after excuse as to why Incineroar got in because it CLEARLY wasn't because out of all options it stood out the most to Sakurai. Because Sakurai would have obviously picked their favorite if he "had time" to do so as their favorite is the most special of snowflakes that he couldn't possibly have left out willingly.

And a majority of those people are Lycanroc supporters. Go figure.
When you think it over though, did Lycanroc really have any realistic chance of making the cut? At best, it could've gotten a spot as a Poke Ball Pokemon, but that probably would've been given to Rockruff instead.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Even though she's specifically meant to be from Alttp/ALBW, Ultimate's Zelda does feel much more of a composite
How so? She just seems to be on the other end of the spectrum of being too bubbly. Seriously, I don't remember her ever acting like that. SS probably came close, but even then I'm not sure I'd classify her as bubbly.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
How so? She just seems to be on the other end of the spectrum of being too bubbly. Seriously, I don't remember her ever acting like that. SS probably came close, but even then I'm not sure I'd classify her as bubbly.
I see what you mean about her personality but I meant more in terms of her design with the white/pink colour scheme of her dress and the blonde hair with bangs.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I use this argument only because I really wanted Mimikyu. I'm the most ride or die Mimikyu supporter. Haha Looking back now tho, it is a silly attempt that it doesn't matter. Decidueye could have been easily unique when you look at his aesthetic for flexibility. I'm sorry I hated on the guy so much.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Ditto on that. Alttp and BW Zelda, who this smash Zelda is related to never had a personality to begin with. She was kidnapped in the snes version and sacrificed and the 3ds version she was turned into a painting really early into the story.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Personally don't know if I'd call this unpopular but if Resident Evil were to get a rep I'd like it to be Nemesis given his potential especially moveset.

D

Deleted member

When you think it over though, did Lycanroc really have any realistic chance of making the cut? At best, it could've gotten a spot as a Poke Ball Pokemon, but that probably would've been given to Rockruff instead.
Lycanroc had promotion, but that's all it really had going for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom