• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Voice clips don't help either. He straight up sounds like a savage berserker rather than the cunning king we know him as. I don't think it's even a joke to say that he roars more often in his moveset than Bowser.

It almost feels like the more accurate to the source material Smash gets, the more butchered Ganondorf's own portrayal becomes...

And how does a cunning king sound exactly?
Is there a sound template for that in a similar vein how we understand dogs or birds sound?
Did people like Alexander the Great and Genghis Khan produced a particular kind of vocalization from their mouths that historians and biologists eventually grouped together as "rulers throughout history"?
If I go to a history museum, will they have soundbites from kings separate from warriors so that people can tell the difference between these people's titles and profession merely based on mouth sounds?

This kind of gripe actually steps into silly and ridiculous territory. Ganon's voice in Smash has never been a point of contention. They even got the same voice actor from Ocarina of Time and he sounds like himself. The noises he makes are battle grunts; in a fight, people tend to vocalize in a way to put weight on their blows, making them sound aggressive.
You can easily spot the people in the Smash fanbase that don't understand how fighting in real life works when they think that a character making aggressive sounds makes them seem "inaccurate" and "not like themselves".

But seeing someone who believes that voice grunts are different depending on title or profession is a first for me. That's the actual punchline of the joke.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Same here, because I think some Nintendo characters would be potential DLC Fighters

As for people who think Spirits=Disconfirm, that is not true.

And even if it is, isn't it suspicious that Adeleine is not even in the game.
In the end, it largely comes down to what Sakurai wants to do and he seems to enjoy the third parties more.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I seriously do not understand why Ganondorf is locked to his Melee OoT appearance when Ike received both his Brawl PoR and Sm4sh RD designs as costumes. Were they just really trying to scrub Twilight Princess out?
TP Ganondorf and OoT Ganondorf are differently proportioned. OoT is far more lean whereas TP is much more square.
In Ike's case it's a simple matter of adding muscle. In GDorf's case...
Hyrule-Warriors-C_GANONDORF_1.jpg

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Twilight Princess Ganondorf just looks, solid. I don't know how to explain it, but he has some black hole levels of density going on when you look at him imo.

D

Deleted member

-Echo Fighters aren't wasted slots, they're wasted opportunities.
-The idea of Young and Toon Link are just dumb. If you're gonna bring Young Link back, at least base him more off his games with a Majora's Mask Final Smash, and Toon Link......just why?
-Simon Belmont's design in this game is terrible. He looks so goofy compared to his Konami counterparts.
-Waluigi would make a great DLC character.
-Zelda's new redesign is awful. I get that they were trying to "represent the franchise," but that just adds to why the Hyrule Warriors design should've been used. If I want to stretch, all three Zelda redesigns suck.
-The only Pokemon characters we need are Lucario, The Trainer Trio, and Pikachu. Everyone else can eff right off.
-The Joker is the absolute worst reveal since Wii Fit Trainer and Corrin.
-I'd rather play with Separate Joycons than use the Gamecube Controller.
-Every third party character after Megaman except for Cloud and Simon and including Snake may be omitted.
-Smash Ultimate's newcomers were the most boring in the entire series because all the [Nintendo] characters added were expected.
-Shantae would make an awful guest and belongs in the Spirit Box as far as I'm concerned.
-I would rather have Peachette than Rex and Pyra.
-Sans, Steve and Scorpion would also make awful guest characters.
-We need goddamn transforming back. Separating Samus and ZSS to "eXpAnD tHe RoStUuR" is just wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Same here, because I think some Nintendo characters would be potential DLC Fighters

As for people who think Spirits=Disconfirm, that is not true.

And even if it is, isn't it suspicious that Adeleine is not even in the game.
Not really. I remember hearing something about Sakurai not liking human characters in the Kirby universe.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
-The idea of Young and Toon Link are just dumb. If you're gonna bring Young Link back, at least base him more off his games with a Majora's Mask Final Smash, and Toon Link......just why?
-Simon Belmont's design in this game is terrible. He looks so goofy compared to his Konami counterparts.
-Zelda's new redesign is awful. I get that they were trying to "represent the franchise," but that just adds to why the Hyrule Warriors design should've been used. If I want to stretch, all three Zelda redesigns suck.
-The only Pokemon characters we need are Lucario, The Trainer Trio, and Pikachu. Everyone else can eff right off.
-Every third party character after Megaman except for Cloud and Simon and including Snake may be omitted.
-Smash Ultimate's newcomers were the most boring in the entire series because all the [Nintendo] characters added were expected.
-Shantae would make an awful guest and belongs in the Spirit Box as far as I'm concerned.
-We need goddamn transforming back. Separating Samus and ZSS to "eXpAnD tHe RoStUuR" is just wrong.
What benefit does transformation offer? If anything it's the same end result with one less down special move, making characters MORE linear. Yes, Simon does look a bit.. He-Manish. As many problems as some of the Pokemon have, they all belong imo, especially Puff (sue me) due to her veteran status.

Sans, Steve and Scorpion would not only make bad DLC picks, they flat out don't belong in Smash imo. I'm fine with Joker and the newcomers, if anything I was partially worried we might end up with a massive roster of 100+ that gets a bit too chaotic when I first heard rumblings of this game.

I understand how one might like to use a (official) Pro Controller, but I in NO way could see how anybody could advocate for the JoyCon controllers over literally anything else for Smash. I personally cannot play the game on anything that isn't a (official) Gamecube controller and that's how it's always been for me for reasons far beyond that of nostalgia or being 'stuck in the past' like some seem to think is the reason.

Zelda, sucks. Her design is fine though, her problems are related to being a slow lightweight who can't win neutral to save her life (despite being a neutral-focused character) due to her painfully slow frame data and low speed / range.

On another note since Zelda was brought up and that reminded me of this since she was my last placement, I fixed my tier list.. still probably has many unpopular choices on it, so I guess I'll post it again. This is the last version, though, the only reason I even made it were for MU notes later.

Attachments

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd argue those at least make some sense, due to them floating, and as a result, not having stable footing to keep them grounded.
It honestly bothers me a bit Dark Samus breaks this established "rule" of design regarding levitating fighters, but that's only because she's an Echo, I suppose.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It honestly bothers me a bit Dark Samus breaks this established "rule" of design regarding levitating fighters, but that's only because she's an Echo, I suppose.
Wow, I never even realized that. Huh.

Let's just leave it as "Phazon is weird" to avoid thinking too hard about it. :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Bowser Jr. though?
Uhhhhh

"Inorganic material is affected differently by levitation." There. Now everything is at ease. :p But even then he's not levitating by his own power like Mewtwo, Rosalina, and Dark Samus are, so he's kind of a different case entirely.

Last edited:

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Cloud's dash has him floating and was present before DS but feels similar to how DS dashes as well.

Last edited:

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Doesn't Palutena also sorta float with her run animation and she's a middle weight or did I step into an alternative universe?
Honestly my guess is since Bowser Jr's clown car is the main part and is also the only one who is primarily getting hit in the car, so like while everyone else is almost entirely organic (yes I consider Dark Samus organic simply because she is a fusion of a metroid, phazon, Samus' DNA, and a suit Samus obtained because she was drenched in phazon so it's less like a new mechanic suit and more like a phazon covering that fused with it) it makes some sense since like the car is essentially just a hollow metal ball filled with tools and weaponry that also look rather hefty (iron balls and drill hands specifically) that would in actuallity be rather hard to punch back.
Really I think the car alone would be super heavy weight material if it was solely grounded, but the floating makes it easier to launch

D

Deleted member

There's a difference between "dashes by hovering" and "always being in a constant state of levitation".
Mewtwo uses telekinesis to make itself move by levitation.
Rosalina uses anti-gravity for the same thing.
Dark Samus levitates through Phazon.

This effects how they move more than just how they run. It affects how they walk, how they jump, how they fall, etc. Basically how they function.

Palutena and Cloud only run by flying off the ground. Otherwise, they interact with the ground and air like most everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
I actually like how Dark Samus controls more than vanilla Samus, she's already a super floaty character and the DS echo of her just feels natural. May just be me. I especially prefer walking / running with DS.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I seriously do not understand why Ganondorf is locked to his Melee OoT appearance when Ike received both his Brawl PoR and Sm4sh RD designs as costumes. Were they just really trying to scrub Twilight Princess out?
One could speculate that Ocarina of Time Ganondorf was far more popular than his Twilight Princess incarnation. Also, there are some animation differences between the two, such as their running animations.

BowserKing

Smash Lord

My responses to those

I find echo-fighters to be fun. (All we need is Shadow and Dixie Kong, and then those echo's will be ruling)
Disagree with that, because they have a some differences and deadly moves.
Disagree
On the fence
Completely disagree, the Zelda design is very cute.
Completely disagree, Pokémon are fun to play as (Lugia would make another fun Pokémon to play as)
Those trailers ain't bad
The joy-con one, I agree.
Disagree.
Oh really, tell that to Piranha Plant (because absolutely no-one expected this being)
Disagree
We already have Daisy as an echo for peach, but the former option would be a final smash for Toadette. I honestly rather have Geno get into smash over Rex and Pyra anyway.
Disagree with Steve, as I think he has potential. The other 2, unknown.
I do agree that :ultsheik: and :ultzss: should be transformations again, just so :ultpokemontrainer: would not be the only one switching.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
One could speculate that Ocarina of Time Ganondorf was far more popular than his Twilight Princess incarnation. Also, there are some animation differences between the two, such as their running animations.
Didn't Sakurai state during Treehouse that he just picked whichever design's he liked for the Zelda cast this time?

Also I guess he probably didn't want to bring back only one of the TP design's as an alt, probably because he'd end up being asked of why he didn't bring them all back. With Sheik and Ganondorf it would probably work out alright. But Link has different tools from BotW this time while Zelda has her whole personality changed which may not suit TP Zelda. I guess you could include them as echo's in that regard but that might have been a bit overkill...

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Also I guess he probably didn't want to bring back only one of the TP design's as an alt, probably because he'd end up being asked of why he didn't bring them all back. With Sheik and Ganondorf it would probably work out alright. But Link has different tools from BotW this time while Zelda has her whole personality changed which may not suit TP Zelda. I guess you could include them as echo's in that regard but that might have been a bit overkill...
Maybe that's why they even went so far as to doll up Sheik's TP design with elements from Breath of the Wild's Sheikah thing?

D

Deleted member

Wolf takes skill to play.
This isn't unpopular

Unless your opponent is mindless and has no idea how to protect themselves from you mashing B then Wolf takes skill like everyone else

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I also liked moody/serious Zelda more than bubblegum rainbow sunshine Zelda, for the sake of variety.

Same reason I actually love Simon's design in this game and always play him over Richter. I'm assuming people are comparing him to the red-hair design? The super bishonen one? We have way too many bishonen animes in the game. Give me barbarian.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It was also his first appearance, and probably the most important in the whole timeline.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
I simply think the larger / thicker frame of TP Ganondorf fits the archetype of his Smash character more. If he were to get moves that didn't boil down to throwing punches and kicks with the occasional hard chop of a smash blade, I could see his OoT appearance fitting more. As-is, Smash Ganondorf is a hulking mountain that lumbers around slowly, throwing out telegraphed punches and kicks that have the impact force of nuclear bombs. His thicc boi TP appearance suits this far better imo.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
>In a world with Smash 4's DLC newcomers and the first two characters of Ultimate's Fighters Pass being 3rd party, people acting like Spirits don't deconfirm characters come off as disconnected from reality

>Prioritizing making a character fun and flashy over their canon portrayal and attributes is a fighter design philosophy that I'd like to see come in with a vengeance

>The pettiest thing you can do is to not want a character in Smash simply because you don't like them/object to their presence in the game

>The focus on Mii Fighter costumes instead of proper alts for other fighters is incredibly bizarre and feels like the Smash dev team is just sitting on a goldmine

>Writing detailed reviews and directly sending feedback to Nintendo is a better use of your time than trying to force your opinion on others on internet forums and has some chance to actually change things, however slim they may be

Last edited:

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
I find the aura property on Ricther's holy water is better in more MU's than Simon's fire property holy water is. I also like Richter's design more and am a total nerd for Rondo of Blood + Symphony of the Night. So Richter my boy.

He-Man is still fun to use from time to time, though.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Edit: Nvm wrong idea

Diddy and Bayo got floored from 4 > Ult, that's for sure. I still find Cloud to be in a wonderful place and people are too quick to assume a smaller NAir and a 15 second limit are gonna hurt him when the transition from 4 > Ult by itself was a MASSIVE buff to Cloud that still leaves him in the lower end of top tier. I don't really struggle with Cloud like I do Mewtwo, Luigi, Bayo, Diddy, etc.

Also, yes I'm aware Cloud has more nerfs than that going from 4 into Ult, but he's also had buffs (the FT buff in 2.0.0 was insane, that move is way bigger than it has any business being now) and as I said, the transition into a faster, heavier disadvantage state meta has done wonders for him. Everyone else is in pain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom