• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Why in the nine hells Lucina over Roy?

Also,

Happy that Geno still isn't on the roster. That character simply doesn't belong.

And for a last edit

Good effin' gods, Ashley's theme is absolutely horrible in every conceivable way in both the Japanese and English incarnation.
Agreed, agreed, and agreed
The mii fighter costumes that are DLC are stupid. Some I can understand, like Proto-Man and Mega Man X, but Link? Really? There's two of him in the game already.
But now you can have LONK in the game :awesome:

Mariohuge

Smash Apprentice
A lot of people here are still listing not wanting Geno as an unpopular opinion, but...I honestly don't see how. Most of the discussions I've seen discussing Geno are usually "he's square property and he's never gonna be in smash" so...

As for my unpopular opinions, the main two newcomers I want are Geno and Waluigi. And I'm perfectly fine with Dark Pit's inclusion-in fact, I love it. Plus, I have :4drmario:as my main. I also don't actively want certain characters to not get in just because of the character. I say the more the merrier. I'll only be peeved over a character getting in if the fanbase of the character is full of ungrateful little people who actively hate on the entire game just because their wanted character wasn't playable, at first or otherwise.

Trust me, you know which ones I'm talking about.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I don't like custom moves at all and I am against them being used in competitive play.

My main issues with custom moves are that some are a little wonky, and perhaps too good, and some characters are utterly screwed when it comes to custom moves.
One of Donkey Kong's up B customs is pretty damn ridiculous. I know that some customs are downright unfair; Villager's Explosive Balloons makes it so that it's nearly impossible to attack him off-stage and Kirby has a Hammer custom where he gains super armor (how is this balanced?).

Some characters just have awful custom moves, some are either situational or are inferior to the regular moves. An example of this is Luigi. Regular Fireball can be spammed, the others can't. The Super Jump Punch customs lack power and recovery height, which is detrimental for Luigi when he has a terrible off-stage game. One of the Luigi Cyclone customs can be useful for recovery, but the original still aids you in recovery and gives you the infamous Hoo-Hahnado (down throw to Luigi Cyclone for the kill). I guess one could argue that the Green Missile customs are worth it because the regular move is a bit worthless in neutral.

I am personally in favor of either banning certain custom moves or don't allow them at all.
I would be inclined to agree, but the only gripe I have with this sort of argument is that there are ways to get around the really good custom moves (Like DK Cyclone), yet people still go on about how unfair they are.

But tbh, I would definitely agree with the first part of the last sentence of your post. I would rather we end up banning certain customs than down right not having them.

Mostly because :4ganondorf: wouldn't be affected in any way, so its all ok XD :p

Smooth lander shouldn't be used in tournaments
Was the idea of using equipment in tournaments ever that popular in the first place?

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
If :roymelee: makes it in, I will be genuinely upset. We don't need three Marths in the game. Please stop supporting him ughhh.

As excited as I am for :4lucas:to be back (and I am realllllly excited), I really hate his icon and his render.

GeeHaus

Smash Cadet
I really dislike Ness' victory theme in Brawl and Smash 4, and would love nothing more than to see his 64/Melee theme re-orchestrated for him in the Lucas patch. Since Smiles and Tears doesn't fit Lucas very well, he can keep the current theme.

But Ness deserves better.

Last edited:

n8han11

Smash Journeyman
I believe that most of the potental third parties like Shantae, Shovel Knight, Bayonetta and Geno would be terrible choices for Smash 4, as I feel they aren't iconic enough for this Nintendo based fighter, and a couple of great exclusives simply aren't enough because they could easily just go to other consoles. Only third party dlc characters I think are iconic enough that have a chance are Rayman, due to the presence of Rayman trophies in the game, and Tails because of the Royu leak meaning Sega could also get an additional representative and because Sega tends to abandon most non-Sonic series, Tails is the best choice. I'll wait until I see Ryu in action until I make any judgements on him.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
I think this thread is good, and probably a must to contain all the reactionary venting that will happen more spread out through-out the forums otherwise. I'd probably even like a sub-category to let folks express themselves more freely so we can banish all the venting there, but I wouldn't know if that'd be a good idea and what that would look like.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Can you elaborate on this? Please?
I do not favor the model of selling characters as DLC by themselves because it means that players will ultimately have to pick and choose which characters they like to pay for them. It essentially locks the final roster post-release. It doesn't help that they can't ignore the character(s) they didn't want to pay for either, as they'll exist in the fandom forever.

Honestly, selling characters in packs ensures related characters aren't left behind. Patching characters into the game, while more divisive against those without reliable Internet access, ensures the player can't remove them from the game.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I do not favor the model of selling characters as DLC by themselves because it means that players will ultimately have to pick and choose which characters they like to pay for them. It essentially locks the final roster post-release. It doesn't help that they can't ignore the character(s) they didn't want to pay for either, as they'll exist in the fandom forever.

Honestly, selling characters in packs ensures related characters aren't left behind. Patching characters into the game, while more divisive against those without reliable Internet access, ensures the player can't remove them from the game.
But can't they just only pay for the characters they only like and not buy the others?

But really, I don't mind if they do either tbh.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
That's exactly what I'll be doing (that is, unless certain quotas get satisfied), but I can't help but feel that the game will remain somewhat incomplete unless I bought them all.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
All the support for female characters is bugging me.

Most of them are definitely cool, and have a lot of potential.

But I can't help but feel it's fueled by "Muh waifus!"

I felt that way about a lot of the characters we have now actually.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

This is interesting. Would you care to elaborate on your rationale?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This is interesting. Would you care to elaborate on your rationale?
I shall try.

It feels like several people support characters because they have a romantic or sexual attraction to the character.

That turns to some bizarre form of fanboyism.

It shouldn't, but it irks me,

Does that make sense?

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I shall try.

It feels like several people support characters because they have a romantic or sexual attraction to the character.

That turns to some bizarre form of fanboyism.

It shouldn't, but it irks me,

Does that make sense?
It does, and I respect your opinion. Essentially you feel like people are prone to fetishising their favourite characters and supporting them for shallow reasons, to the detriment of rational faculties?

I don't see it happening much myself, though I do support a lot of female characters - Tiki, Anna, Dixie and Isabelle, to name a few - and think there's a lot to recommend them beyond just "muh waifus". It's down to the individual to support them for their own reasons, though, and the nature of support should not matter so long as it is respectful towards others and helps out that particular fanbase. :3

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It does, and I respect your opinion. Essentially you feel like people are prone to fetishising their favourite characters and supporting them for shallow reasons, to the detriment of rational faculties?

I don't see it happening much myself, though I do support a lot of female characters - Tiki, Anna, Dixie and Isabelle, to name a few - and think there's a lot to recommend them beyond just "muh waifus". It's down to the individual to support them for their own reasons, though, and the nature of support should not matter so long as it is respectful towards others and helps out that particular fanbase. :3
You know.

I think I actually found a better way to describe my feelings.

It sometimes feels like fetishization that borders on obsession.

Does that make more sense?

SuperMrpingpong

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna sound like a huge killjoy but I really do not want inkling or YookaLaylee in smash

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion

Same here. Smash 4 did a great job providing us more females. But it really does bug me when I see people throw up the fact that they're female as a prime factor for their consideration. Same could be said for "villains".

I mean, more diversity is cool and all. But when you jostle that around like it's a bigger deal than other qualifiers for the character, then it makes the supporter look pretentious.

Strange about the "muh waifus" sentiment. I never really observed that on Smashboards. I only really see that with the fan influx of Fire Emblem: Awakening. Hoh boy, don't they make all the pairings it that game sum up to sound like a pastiche harem anime? :rolleyes: Otherwise, I really only describe I character I like as my waifu as a tongue-in-cheek joke. Guess Poe's Law is in effect there.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Speaking of Fire Emblem, I don't care if he's a third Marth clone, Roy is our boy and he deserves to use t3h ph1r3 once more. All I ask is just don't make his sword a noodle.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I think he means more like 80% of Tharja supporters.
I understand it's a joke (well I hope it is), but I don't think it's fair to claim a majority of supporters are doing it for "Muh Waifu"

That said I didn't know there were Tharja supporters...

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Are you specifically referring to characters like Shantae?
Not specifically any character in particular.

But yes, Shantae, I feel, is stricken with this.

Of course, it happens to male characters too.

Lots of FE husbandos for example.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well, I don't think there's anything wrong with being attractive. It's a genetic predilection, we're naturally drawn to things we consider attractive and beautiful; even something that is physically repulsive can be emotionally attractive, and we may be drawn to it for other reasons. The key to balance, I think, it to temper the physical attraction - which can indeed lead to fetishisation and obsession - with attraction of other kinds, such as appreciation of the character's personality, their narrative role, etc.

I wouldn't call K. Rool or Ridley physically attractive in the sense of being winsome, but they look "cool" and people are drawn to their robust designs and villainous presence. They're also popular because they have a dynamic aura that captivates the player and compels them to remember that sense of awe and admiration, and because they have a certain narrative role as the main antagonist of their respective games, hence the player is familiar with them and develops a sense of attraction towards them from a nostalgic / respectful perspective.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm not bothered by the fact that there will be two Marth derivatives in this game. In fact, I actually kinda find it amusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom