• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
People should give other non-iconic third-party characters a chance to be explored, people in character discussion forum complain about other third parties like it's the bane of existence and I really hate that kind of mindset.
It's mainly the more modern third parties they complain about. I do agree with you though. I'd probably rather see Professor Layton (Is 2007 old enough? That's almost a decade....) over some of the older potential third party characters imo. most of them (besides Rayman) don't really interest me much if at all. :/

......Guess that's my unpopular opinion..... :T

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
My unpopular opinion regards the Miis - not the characters themselves, because I like them. What stinks about them though, is they were used as the opponents in Multi-man Smash. There was just some huge potential for that mode and I think the developers stomped on that potential by including the Miis.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Let's see
  1. Young link,pichu,squirtle and ivysaur should return before any newcomer is added as DLC
  2. slippy toad should've been in smash before wolf and should be in before krystal
  3. the pokemon trainer should return only if he uses items from the series as moves
  4. Ryu deserves to be in smash way more snake
  5. bomberman deserves to be in smash way more than snake
  6. i believe that we should of gotten diddy in melee,dixie in brawl,k rool for this game and cranky as DLC
  7. project m is better than melee
  8. Anna should of gotten in as a marth clone not lucina
  9. F-zero is underrespented
  10. Ninten should be an alt for ness and nothing else
  11. Anthony higgs would be a fine metroid rep
  12. captain syrup should get in before ashley
  13. If sonic gets any DLC characters it should knuckles not tails
  14. fire emblem deserves 6 reps in my mind(marth,ike,roy,robin,anna,tiki)
  15. Toad is fine the way he is
  16. daisy should get before waluigi
  17. Melee's graphics have aged horribly
  18. smash 4 character trailers>Sub space cutscences
feels good to get all that off my chest

Flying_Skitty

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1091-8635-3184
Generally, everyone that hopes Pokemon gets another DLC character wants Sceptile. I honestly want Grovyle in more.

Last edited:

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
1. I liked Smash Tour. Especially with Co-Op.
2. I'm not big in having Geno for Smash
3. I really want Bandanna Dee for Smash 4. Badly.
4. I would like to see more Mii Fighters in the future.
5. I don't mind clones too much. They kind of bug me...but in the end, I'm just like "If he/she's in, he/she's in I guess..."
6. I would love to see more 3rd party love in Smash. Either as a character, or preferably as an Assist Trophy or trophy. I don't want too much.
7. Luma needs to be nerfed. Now.
8. I like l-canceling, but I don't mind its absence in future games.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
We need Game Mode DLC far more then Character DLC.
Smash 4 lacked in game modes, with more focus on more characters.
Smash Tour was a pointless addition.
I wouldn't mind if any new third parties only came from Namco, Capcom, and Sega for the rest of smash 4.

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Warning Received
EDIT: This post was a violation of the rules, and is therefore irrelevantised

Last edited:

BubbaDuke

Smash Apprentice
I want this game to stay mostly Nintendo characters. I like the 3rd parties we have, but I hope Ryu is the last one.

There are so many characters Nintendo could use. There are so many underrepresented franchises.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Eh... even though the Mother series remains my absolute Nintendo favorite, I think the Smash community holds a favorable double standard to it in terms of playable characters in Smash. When much bigger series like Kid Icarus and especially Fire Emblem get lambasted for multiple playable characters while Mother does not, it just seems wrong. It's not to say there aren't complaints, because there are, but if your going to complain about Sakurai's preferential treatment to other series, you might as well include Mother on a smaller scale (whose playable characters currently rival Donkey Kong and Metroid). It's not nearly up there in terms of Kid Icarus or Fire Emblem, but nonetheless its nearby on the lower end.

I don't mind this much Mother content (in fact I favor it), but it does bother me when people pick and choose who to criticize and who to not. I don't know, maybe I just feel guilty.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If we're only getting one more Pokemon DLC, it should be Pichu. Brings a fun way to use the rage mechanic, more love for Gen II, and it's cute to boot.

Troykv

Smash Master
If we're only getting one more Pokemon DLC, it should be Pichu. Brings a fun way to use the rage mechanic, more love for Gen II, and it's cute to boot.
Oh wow... I never think about that... Is a little... weird that thing xD

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
- I prefer to use Dark Pit above the normal Pit
- Considering the large number of characters who owns Fire Emblem, I never feel that saga overrepresented (Which also consider shared with Mario Series and Pokémon, but these latter do further course.)

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I believe that it's utterly ridiculous that Kirby has only 3 reps, when FE has 4 (about to be 5) and Kid Icarus has 3. Because, you know, Dark Matter (arguably Kirby's version of Bowser/Ganon) , Bandanna Dee (only the 4th main character, nothin' special), and Magolor (only a character that is both recent, and has a massive fan following, totally wouldn't be a good villain rep) are clearly less deserving than the pinnacle of Nintendo history, Dark Pit.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
I believe that it's utterly ridiculous that Kirby has only 3 reps, when FE has 4 (about to be 5) and Kid Icarus has 3. Because, you know, Dark Matter (arguably Kirby's version of Bowser/Ganon) , Bandanna Dee (only the 4th main character, nothin' special), and Magolor (only a character that is both recent, and has a massive fan following, totally wouldn't be a good villain rep) are clearly less deserving than the pinnacle of Nintendo history, Dark Pit.
I'd say Fire Emblem deserves five reps. But Kirby does deserve atleast 4. And yeah, **** dark pit

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I find comments like "X deserves to be in more than Y because A, B, C" to be annoying... But I don't think that's an unpopular opinion so....

I think it'd be cool if Smash 4 incorporated a Super Meter for final smashes instead of using smash balls. They'll probably need to be completely redone, maybe give them multiple levels (i.e Little Mac's Lvl 1: K.O. Punch Lvl2: Err... Bigger K.O.? and Lvl3: Giga Mac), add a some risk into using (whiffing gives you insane lag). If done right, they could even be legal for competitive play.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I agree with Kirby needing a few more characters but pointing fingers at other series doesn't do anything. They're in. Deal with it.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Dittos are absolutely cancerous. Mostly campy/defensive dittos (see:4dedede::4duckhunt::4littlemac::rosalina::4link:), but dittos in general often result in both players doing the exact same thing, sometimes for minutes on end, until one of them finally lands a killing blow on the other (looking at you, blue hedgehog). Ironically enough, the only interesting dittos to watch are between rushdown characters like:4falcon:.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'd say Fire Emblem deserves five reps. But Kirby does deserve atleast 4. And yeah, **** dark pit
If Fire Emblem can get 5, Zelda should get 6 or 7. It's ridiculous that Nintendo's second biggest franchise (Third if going by sales) only has 5 reps, two of which are clones and one being a second version of another
Dittos are absolutely cancerous. Mostly campy/defensive dittos (see:4dedede::4duckhunt::4littlemac::rosalina::4link:), but dittos in general often result in both players doing the exact same thing, sometimes for minutes on end, until one of them finally lands a killing blow on the other (looking at you, blue hedgehog). Ironically enough, the only interesting dittos to watch are between rushdown characters like:4falcon:.
And Mewtwo, Mine ALWAYS end in Shadow ball tennis

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
If Fire Emblem can get 5, Zelda should get 6 or 7. It's ridiculous that Nintendo's second biggest franchise (Third if going by sales) only has 5 reps, two of which are clones and one being a second version of another

And Mewtwo, Mine ALWAYS end in Shadow ball tennis
Zelda DOES not have character variety. Fire Emblem is like Pokemon, where there are no main characters. All other Zelda characters asides from the ones already in are one-offs in comparison to the characters already in. Remember, while sales do matter, the aren't the only factor in character decision.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I agree with Kirby needing a few more characters but pointing fingers at other series doesn't do anything. They're in. Deal with it.
Sorry that I have come across as aggressive, I should have worded it better, I didn't mean to sound like I hate FE and KI for having more characters than it necessarily warrants (in my opinion) but I (intended to) use that more as a tool to show that Kirby is under repped in comparison. I was in a really bad mood yesterday, and it may have come out in that comment, and even if it was unintentional that doesn't mean I have a excuse to be mean. Sorry, please forgive me.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
- I would like another Mario character. Kamek would be cool, Waluigi would be cool (yes I said it).
- I think it's kind of annoying when people say Yoshi is a "Yoshi rep" when people refer to him as a Mario character. It doesn't change the fact that Yoshi is a Mario character.
- Adding "reps" for the sake of "reps" is pointless in my opinion. DK can have Dixie and K. Rool, but not because he needs more "reps", but because they're cool characters that belong in the game.
- I'm fine with Ridley's fate either way.
- obscure characters can be cool, like ones I've never heard of are fine.
- I would prefer Krystal to Wolf, but either/both is fine.
- I love F-Zero, but Goroh is the only logical choice for a new character IMO. New stages would be appreciated
- The blue falcon is the coolest final smash by far
- New character costume dlc would be awesome
- A new mii fighter is okay too, the mage idea is pretty cool

D

Deleted member

I don't like custom moves at all and I am against them being used in competitive play.

My main issues with custom moves are that some are a little wonky, and perhaps too good, and some characters are utterly screwed when it comes to custom moves.
One of Donkey Kong's up B customs is pretty damn ridiculous. I know that some customs are downright unfair; Villager's Explosive Balloons makes it so that it's nearly impossible to attack him off-stage and Kirby has a Hammer custom where he gains super armor (how is this balanced?).

Some characters just have awful custom moves, some are either situational or are inferior to the regular moves. An example of this is Luigi. Regular Fireball can be spammed, the others can't. The Super Jump Punch customs lack power and recovery height, which is detrimental for Luigi when he has a terrible off-stage game. One of the Luigi Cyclone customs can be useful for recovery, but the original still aids you in recovery and gives you the infamous Hoo-Hahnado (down throw to Luigi Cyclone for the kill). I guess one could argue that the Green Missile customs are worth it because the regular move is a bit worthless in neutral.

I am personally in favor of either banning certain custom moves or don't allow them at all.

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
I'm done with people clamering to get playable Metroid characters as DLC down the line. There isn't a single character that has enough to them to warrent an entire moveset. Except for possibly Ridley, but Ridley will most likely look goofy scaled down and I like Ridley as a boss character. I want people to push for more non-Lava Metroid stages instead, like Tourian.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Zelda DOES not have character variety. Fire Emblem is like Pokemon, where there are no main characters. All other Zelda characters asides from the ones already in are one-offs in comparison to the characters already in. Remember, while sales do matter, the aren't the only factor in character decision.
There are still quite a few characters they could use, Impa, tetra, vaati and tingle are just a few examples

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Marth should be broken good. He should have had his Melee IASA frames, and the Melee range of grab, Fsmash, Fair, and Dtilt (his other moves already have melee range or better) and from Brawl his Up B, landing lag, and general moveset combined with his Smash 4 counter, shieldbreaker, double jump, fall speed, and Up throw.

Also he should be running about as fast as C. Falcon with Jigglypuff air speed.

This is Prince, I mean King (in this game his design was pulled from his second FE game when he was King) Marth and he doesn't just lay down and get spanked by Sakurai from being too good in previous Smash.

We'll put him is SSSS+++++++++X tier

Edit: All of his moves are now shieldbreakers.

Last edited:

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Zelda really needs more reps for the character roster. Someone like Impa or Ghirahim will be good, but the fact that a big franchise like Zelda gets jack while something like Fire Emblem has new reps really bugs me. It doesn't help that Ganondorf's still a Captain Falcon clone. :/

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Probably not totally unpopular, but I think Star Fox can have 4 reps. Especially now that the series is getting revived. I'm of course referring to Wolf returning and a certain blue vixen joining. (who was originally a cat in DP)

Also, I've actually been enjoying Smash Tour now. It grew on me.

I don't like custom moves at all and I am against them being used in competitive play.

My main issues with custom moves are that some are a little wonky, and perhaps too good, and some characters are utterly screwed when it comes to custom moves.
One of Donkey Kong's up B customs is pretty damn ridiculous. I know that some customs are downright unfair; Villager's Explosive Balloons makes it so that it's nearly impossible to attack him off-stage and Kirby has a Hammer custom where he gains super armor (how is this balanced?).

Some characters just have awful custom moves, some are either situational or are inferior to the regular moves. An example of this is Luigi. Regular Fireball can be spammed, the others can't. The Super Jump Punch customs lack power and recovery height, which is detrimental for Luigi when he has a terrible off-stage game. One of the Luigi Cyclone customs can be useful for recovery, but the original still aids you in recovery and gives you the infamous Hoo-Hahnado (down throw to Luigi Cyclone for the kill). I guess one could argue that the Green Missile customs are worth it because the regular move is a bit worthless in neutral.

I am personally in favor of either banning certain custom moves or don't allow them at all.
Well I do know certain customs aren't gonna be usable at Evo. If that helps.

Last edited:

KinanEldari

Smash Rookie
NNID
KinanEldari
3DS FC
1118-0325-7984
Why in the nine hells Lucina over Roy?

Also,

Happy that Geno still isn't on the roster. That character simply doesn't belong.

And for a last edit

Good effin' gods, Ashley's theme is absolutely horrible in every conceivable way in both the Japanese and English incarnation.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
The mii fighter costumes that are DLC are stupid. Some I can understand, like Proto-Man and Mega Man X, but Link? Really? There's two of him in the game already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom