• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash 4 Opinions v2.0 - Read the OP before posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I'm actually completely fine with Chrom being playable. But if Lucina got in and used spears that'd be even more boss.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
- Sweetspot-only ledges are one of the worst things about Melee and Project M, there has to be some degree of ledgesnap for them to not be absolutely ridiculous and a chore to recover. I'm glad ledgesnap on SSB4 is back, and I'm also glad it's much less lenient than Brawl's ledges.

- As opposed to asking for basically just Melee, all this game needs to be much faster and competitive are two things: Cut landlag on aerial attacks and make throw distances smaller to allow combos, those two things and this will truly be the perfect Smash game.

tyc

Smash Rookie
NNID
tyczynski
- I really don't want Ridley as a playable character, its size would ruin a lot of thing, think of PTX-40A in the Tatsunoko vs Capcom games.
- Bowser looks super awesome from what we can see in the Clash tournaments video, just about everything in him is faster without loosing power.
- The stages from the E3 demo all look pretty good, very few hazards outside of Willy's Castle, a lot of potential for counterpicking.
- I feel there's a lot of room already in this game to devellop a lot of technical stuff to make the game fast paced, not Melee paced but fast enough to get people interested in the game for a long time.
- I don't see Megaman being as bad as people say, he's got a load of good tools (Leaf Shield, Metal Blade, Mega Buster, Air Shooter, etc) and i couldn't notice much lag on his moves, that can't ever be a bad sign.
- That's not unpopular opinion but this game definitely needs less landlag overall and probably more shieldstun to promote aggressive playstyle.

firekirby

Smash Rookie
1. I think Ridley shouldn't be added in; I know people say this A LOT, but he's just too big to be in smash and we don't need another Metroid rep, at least not if they're gonna add him in. Besides, if they sized him down he'd look stupid as ****.
2. I'd prefer Jiggles over Mewtwo any day, she's been around much more longer and now that she's part fairy, she can get some new moves to improve her character. True, she's not as popular as she used to be over here, but she's a classic smasher, and besides, Greninja kinda killed Mewtwo's chances when he was confirmed a while back.
3. I REALLY don't want Ness and Lucas to come back. I'd rather have them booted from smash for good than anything else. Hell, even Reggie himself in the robot chicken animation at E3 dissed Mother 3.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
-I think PAC-MAN is great, but there were so many other options that could have been taken by NAMCO for their character input. Oh well, I'm sure it will be fine.
-I'm alright with wavedashing removed
-I'm really happy that Fox has gotten the nerfs that he has gotten (i.e. drill shine is gone, and upsmash not killing as soon as it used to)

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Unpopular Opinion: Pacman's alternate costume should be his look from Pacman The Ghostly Adventures, in fact, make that his primary costume and ditch the one we have now.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I would rather have the masked man from mother 3 as a rep than ness or Lucas.

Masked man would offer the most diverse move set, between his PSI, sword, bombs, and bat wings.

Ridley isn't worthy of being playable.

Greninja is broken and will be the new meta knight.

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
-Mii's are okay in my opinion, as long as they share one slot, if it was 3 separate slots I would cut someone.
-I absolutely loved Palutena's reveal, but I hope they add more life to her face kinda seems like Zelda's in Brawl.
-I LIKE what they did with Pac-Man. I used to be the biggest Pac-Man hater ever, whenever somebody mentioned him, I would rant all over them, but Sakurai and his team impressed me. Don't get me wrong though, I still don't think he should be in the game.
-Ridley wouldn't be a good character Don't shoot me.
-The only reason why I believe in the Sal Romano leak is because I want Choir Boy/Men/Marshal to be playable.
-Chrom wouldn't be a very good rep, 3 Fire Emblem characters would be over-representation.
-I
HATE custom movesets...don't like them..I plague upon them..I guess I just won't use them, what's the point of practicing with a custom moveset if you're not going to be able to use them online or when it really counts?
-I support Amiibo, however, I will just buy them for the way they look.
-Rosalina is the most unique newcomer. (Is that an unpopular opinion?)
K I'm done :4mii::4mii::4mii::4mii::4mii::4mii::4mii::4mii::4mii::4mii::4mii::4mii::4mii::4mii::4mii::4mii:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Since this seems to be an unpopular opinion now:
- RIDLEY SHOULD DEFINITELY BE IN THE GAME, AND NO, HE WOULDN'T LOOK DUMB DOWNSIZED.
The fact that this counts as unpopular now...IT'S DISGUSTING!

Myst

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5327-1598-3487
If the game came out with the roster revealed so far, I would be completely fine with it. No DLC, nothing. Just what we have confirmed.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
- Still upset by the fact Zelda no longer transforms into her counterpart. That made up for a lot of bad matchups.
- Zelda's new down B is awesome, I love it, but its probably because its something new to my favorite veteran and the move isn't actually too useful (at least until I see high level 1v1 play)
- Hoping Zelda will be like Palutena and have access to different moves, such as transform (which will NOT happen)
- If Issac (from Golden Sun) was passed up over Palutena/MII FIGHTERS/ Pacman, I most likely won't purchase
- The fact combos are existent but barely has me upset. I realize balancing is the last thing they do when making the game, however, and they still most likely are finishing other characters/stages/trophies/other aspects of the game
- I HATE that Pacman is in the game. HATE it. I'm happy for fans and people that wanted him, but he's not a Nintendo character, he's not even that monumental. He was a crappy arcade game, then had horrible 3D games...he's a waste of a roster slot
- So is Zelda AND Sheik. Make them one character again. Same for Zero Suit Samus. Make her the R button in CSS again, but don't make her take up a slot.
- I don't want Mewtwo back, yet I do. I don't because I understand they're trying to represent all of Nintendo. The Smash Brothers 7 game shouldn't have Mewtwo in it, he's outdated and not retro. Why should be be in it now? He's had his time
- No Ridley.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
- Still upset by the fact Zelda no longer transforms into her counterpart. That made up for a lot of bad matchups.
Just like... All of them. Glad Zelda will have a chance to hold her own like in P:M.

-Gliding and Flight moves were garbage, happy to see them gone.

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
The idea of modding Smash 4 to make a second Project M enrages me. I'd rather competitive folks stick to their old hack.

^Hope that doesn't constitute something meant to flame. If it comes off that way, it wasn't intentional.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
I wanna see third party new-comers from newer Japanese Fighting Game titles

Persona 4 Arena For example

I feel like Teddy or Aigis would fit really well in Smash.

I think the chances of this happening is as rare as winning the lottery jackpot....

Also, Palutena's moves look kinda sorta lame.... I'll still use her...

Sasquatch180

Smash Rookie
I don't think Ridley would be a good character simply due to his proportions.

I hate ZSS's boots because of the yellow on them. It just looks so out of place, and IMHO ugly. Would've preferred a sky-blue instead.

I don't like Palutena being a character, would've preferred having Hades be a character.

Out of all the versions of Ganondorf that could be put in game I want Wind Waker Ganondorf the most.

Last edited:

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
- Pac-man is underrated and arguably the most deserving character they've added. He's a video game icon and he's probably the most iconic mascot this side of Mario they could have added. He's even co-starred alongside Mario himself in a few games. EVERYBODY knows who Pac-man is. There may be "cooler" Namco characters, but none of them are anywhere close to Pac-man in terms of his importance to the industry as a whole, his influence on the likes of Mario and other characters, or how much he changed the future of gaming.
Nobody outside of the gamer community is going to recognize the likes of Lloyd Irving, even though I like him, and ToS is a great game.

- Mega Man and Little Mac are both hype too. I'm lukewarm on the rest of the newcomers. I thought the Villager meme was pretty great though. I would say that Mega Man and Pac-man deserved spots in Smash ahead of most of the first-party characters they've already added. (sans Little Mac)

- I wasn't super excited to see Miis or the Wii Fit Trainer in the game personally, but I'm happy for their fans that they both made it.

- As long as Ness, Captain Falcon, and Wario come back, I don't really care all that much who else makes it in. It would be a shame if we lost Jiggs, Falco, or Ganondorf though. (as awesome as he is, I've pretty much given up on Mewtwo at this point...)

- I miss character specific Target Tests...

- The game doesn't have to have the exact same techs as Melee to be viable competitively. As long as there are movement options, the characters are balanced and the engine encourages offensive play and combos, we should be fine in that regard. Defensive options (shielding, airdodging) can't be overwhelmingly good, nor can there be too little hitstun, or else the game will be a campfest. It doesn't have to be melee, but if they want to make it a good competitive game, it needs to be exciting!

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I don't think Ridley would be a good character simply due to his proportions.

I hate ZSS's boots because of the yellow on them. It just looks so out of place, and IMHO ugly. Would've preferred a sky-blue instead.

I don't like Palutena being a character, would've preferred having Hades be a character.

Out of all the versions of Ganondorf that could be put in game I want Wind Waker Ganondorf the most.
Just saiyan', nobody says we still can't have Hades, Kirby did get two reps on Brawl.
- Pac-man is underrated and arguably the most deserving character they've added. He's a video game icon and he's probably the most iconic mascot this side of Mario they could have added. He's even co-starred alongside Mario himself in a few games. EVERYBODY knows who Pac-man is. There may be "cooler" Namco characters, but none of them are anywhere close to Pac-man in terms of his importance to the industry as a whole, his influence on the likes of Mario and other characters, or how much he changed the future of gaming.
Nobody outside of the gamer community is going to recognize the likes of Lloyd Irving, even though I like him, and ToS is a great game.

- Mega Man and Little Mac are both hype too. I'm lukewarm on the rest of the newcomers. I thought the Villager meme was pretty great though.

- I wasn't super excited to see Miis or the Wii Fit Trainer in the game personally, but I'm happy for their fans that they both made it.

- As long as Ness, Captain Falcon, and Wario come back, I don't really care all that much who else makes it in. It would be a shame if we lost Jiggs, Falco, or Ganondorf though. (as awesome as he is, I've pretty much given up on Mewtwo at this point...)

- I miss character specific Target Tests...

- The game doesn't have to have the exact same techs as Melee to be viable competitively. As long as there are movement options, the characters are balanced and the engine encourages offensive play and combos, we should be fine in that regard. Defensive options (shielding, airdodging) can't be overwhelmingly good, nor can there be too little hitstun, or else the game will be a campfest. It doesn't have to be melee, but if they want to make it a good competitive game, it needs to be exciting!
Wow, you sure are alarmingly civil and non-inflammatory for this thread's standards, I think you could even say you didn't want Ridley in the game and I wouldn't mind.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Little Mac seems to have been designed with casual players in mind.

Crimefridge

Smash Rookie
Unpopular opinions:
-Mario is a sexist mess with decent gameplay that grew big out of being an early release, and out of all the characters designs of the smash characters, the best is Wario (excluding Geno)
-Zelda is, * * * * * , the best is Midna.
-Metroid was a good series, but was plagued from the start with fanservice leading to objectification of women into classless near-Call of Duty with space drama levels of failure.
-Retro characters are tacky and in general unwarranted for both popularity and a clear Nintendo political plot point.
-Megaman is a formerly successful series that's riding on the years of quasi-good game releasing bad game after bad game, and is on the way out.
-Sonic is another example of an old series that had good-ish gameplay but no future, living off 90's kids to keep it alive instead of making new ideas and growing like the sequels to movies in movie theaters that plague us every week.
-One of the most deserving characters (well-written, good series that isn't a complete mess) that have been in Smash, Solid Snake, will likely not return.
-Ridley won't make it into smash not because of size, but because of Sakurai's attitude towards casuals combined with Nintendo's obsession with selling to family units makes Ridley "too scary".
-Many circlejerk on how amazing Melee was, but it was merely the premise and not the execution that made it so. We strive for what is really not even that great to begin with. Gameplay needs to evolve, not just simplify, and currently the pro-Melee and pro-Brawl communities both don't care for the correct mindset that games should have...

-If people were to choose characters based on popularity the game would suck. Yet, if people were to choose based on whether a character was well written, we wouldn't even have a cast to play with.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Kid Icarus is a godawful series and doesn't deserve two reps. I wouldn't have been mad if pit were cut.

Move customization is awesome. The game should be less about memorizing frame data and more about adapting how you fight on the fly.

On that same vein of thought, most items should be allowed in competitive play. With all the characters who have moves that involve items (villager's pocket, pikmin carrying items, ect), and the fact that since brawl you could turn off random explosions, there is no reason not to throw them back into the scene. Being good at the game means knowing how to play items, too.

People who try to estimate the number of characters in the final roster by the size of the boxes in the demo are morons.

Wasting time to develop three mii's with 12 special moves each is a huge waste of time I wouldn't have minded the character if it was just a standard fighter, with a changing face and costumes. But wasting dev time on 3 characters with 12 moves each that can't even be used online is stupid as hell and I'd have rather had real characters.

I don't believe the sal leak because I can't picture Sakurai ever doing DLC. He's a workaholic, but he's about a single, finished product, imo.

I don't see ganon getting de-cloned. If it were gonna happen, it woulda happened in brawl. Maybe this time around he'll get his sword in 2 taunts.

and I enjoy discussion about these kinds of things, so don't worry about criticizing my posts/debating them, I enjoy that. Just keep it in PM's or wall posts, as to preserve this thread.

Last edited:

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
E3 not showing off any veterans besides Game and Watch who is pretty much a lock for every Smash Bros is a red flag that the roster might not have much left to show off, and they're banking on the idea that going quiet near release will keep us excited over the roster. Only for reaction to the roster to range from massive disappointment to people saying "Well it could have been worse, but not much worse."

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Hmm.

I felt the removal of the ability to transform to another character mid match was a bad idea. (It made the characters more unique)
Dixie and (to a lesser extent) King K Rool would be bad additions to the roster.
Dr Mario as an alternative costume for Mario is the only character from the five cut from Melee I would want back.
Bowser Jr would be one of the worst addition's to the roster.
The gliding mechanic getting cut was a good idea.
There were many better choices than Pac-Man to represent Namco in Smash. (I thought Lloyd would have been much better.)
Ridley would be a bad addition.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
I've got a couple more...

- I'd rather not see any DLC myself. It'll be well and good for now, but what would happen in ten years after the Wii U is no longer supported? I'd rather see the game delayed long enough for all of that extra stuff to be but in instead of running the risk that all of the extra characters and updates could potentially be lost forever.

- I think it's WAY too early for a tier list. It'll be great to get balance tips from the pros, but I don't know if mere mortals such as ourselves need to be speculating on a potential tier list before the game is even out. I think it'll be better to let the game evolve first.

- I've pretty much given up on Ridley. If he were confirmed, my brain would explode from the awesomeness :denzel: :denzel: :denzel:

...but it's not something I'm holding my breath for.

majorasmaskfan

Smash Journeyman
If we are going to do the no response thing can people actually deeply elaborate on what they have to say.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Hooray, it's back! I'm taking all the stuff I said in the last topic and modifying as needed. Of course I'm also open for a little debate off thread.

I loathe the concept of "same character, new artstyle/moves" because the "new moves" part never f***ing happens. I hated Toon Link when he was in Brawl, and while it's lessened here, it's not gone. I also hated Doctor Mario, and hate the concept of paper Mario, any new forms of Link, etc.

I like new movesets, however. Because the roster so far has already gotten my faves (Sonic, Pikachu, Palutena), provided almost no one other than Snake/Ivy/Squirtle gets cut from Brawl I wouldn't really care. Sakurai sold me on Pac Man thanks to his moveset, and the Miis don't annoy me as much because of the varieties (and not being silly sports types) and being banned off randoms.

People really like justifying their cynicism and failing horribly at Hanlon's Razor, especially in this forum and in light of the demo. Brawl burned people so bad that even with evidence in the contrary some people just want to watch the game burn just to prove themselves right.

I feel completely vindicated that I was right about PacMan's dislike evaporating thanks to lack of Ghostly Adventures influence.

I feel that the tourney scene should bolster variety however it can without messing up the core game. I want more stages like Pictochat and Pokefloats getting spotlight as counterpicks, and was disappointed PM nuked so many stages to turn them plain when they don't even see use. Custom movesets better be a thing.

I want character unlocks to be as easy as possible. It's what everyone's there for. Make the harder stuff to unlock be trophies/music/stat mods. I wouldn't even care if there were no unlockable characters.

Last edited:

Jiggy37

Smash Apprentice
1. Not counting stuff that was in the first game, custom moves are the second or third best thing ever added to the series. They're a perfect opportunity to cut down on unfavorable matchups and almost every character having at least two worthless special moves.

2. Palutena's my second favorite newcomer behind Mega Man and I'll play her more than Mii Fighters, Little Mac, Rosalina, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer combined. (Bonus points: if people figure out how to mod Wii U and Smash 4, Palutena's moves and graphics will be enormously helpful for making a credible-looking Colette and Raine from Tales of Symphonia. :D Zelos and Kratos were already solid in Brawl mods, so I'd be all set!)

3. No newcomer except Mega Man and Pac-Man deserved to get in before Daisy or Waluigi. Rosalina's the worst offender since she's from the same series as them and has only existed since 2007. (If it somehow does turn out that Daisy's in and she's based on the sports games, she'll be my new second favorite newcomer, no contest.)

4. Riki is an infinitely cooler character than the generic-a-thon that is Shulk and he's a better Xenoblade representative. Dunban is also infinitely cooler, but the Nopons are series mascots, so Riki would be the stronger pick.

5. Fire Emblem is the most poorly represented series. Smash Bros. shows off a good range of what the characters of every other series do, but a person who never played Fire Emblem would think it's a series about dueling with swords. This is why Smash 4 badly needs either Robin with magic (preferred option), Lucina with lances, or Chrom with lances.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Not being able to play as the Mii online is dumb, there should've been a moderating system for people who want to play as them online.

Also I'm so glad there are more cuts, thanks to the recent Gematsu leak.

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
Dark pit is a terrible choice for a playable character just from his identical appearance to pit alone.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Not being able to play as the Mii online is dumb, there should've been a moderating system for people who want to play as them online.
If I remember correctly, the Mii's can be used online with friends.

On top of that, it also tells you who you played with after an online fight. The likelyhood of getting friend requests from people that were impressed by your play is high. On top of that, if you do add them, then you can show off that mii.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I would like Wii Fit Trainer (and Greninja to a lesser extent) so much more if their neutral specials weren't yet another chargeable projectile.

As much as I like Palutena, the actual gameplay part of her trailer was pretty uninspired. I mean, it's neat to show off that she has all the specials in the world, but... We ended up getting a bunch of jumbled footage with entirely-too-quick cuts.

I will be really disappointed if Dr. Mario isn't Mario's alt costume.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I've never been an anti-sword guy before, but with Link, Marth, Ike, Chrom, and Shulk, holy **** there are too many ****ing anime swordsmen.

Also, I don't see the appeal in adding new franchises before keeping old, under-repped ones stocked. The fact that we're getting someone as insignificant as those kids from Rhythm Heaven before important characters like Ridley and K. Rool makes my blood boil.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Based on what we know so far, I believe that custom movesets were a bad idea. They can't be used online, so any increased viability they give to a character or player will be unavailable in the mode most players will tend to frequent. Most of them are nonsensical variations on already existing moves, so it's not like you can replace FLUDD with Mario Tornado. You just replace it with...FLUDD, but with hot water (which makes no sense given the source material).

They're going to divide not only the community as a whole even further, but possibly the competitive community as well, if a consensus cannot be reached on their application. And even if an agreement is made, there will always be those unwilling to accept the decision. If custom movesets were never included to begin with, this would just be one argument we could avoid having.

Anything they bring to the table will probably not be worth all of the time and effort to include them. A sizable amount of players have already decided that they will never even touch the option, and everyone else won't even be able to use them online. They bring more trouble than they're worth, I think. I would have just preferred for Sakurai to have balanced each moveset well enough that there'd be no need for customization. In all honesty, we're going to be playing the game for years anyway. Do we really need extra move options to extend the game's lifespan?

Also, not every IP under the sun needs a playable character to represent it. Franchises like Wii Fit and Rhythm Heaven would be perfectly suited to stage/assist trophy representation. They're not character-driven franchises with notable faces that people actually want to play as. There's nothing wrong with being represented through something other than a character. Very few people want a Nintendogs character, but the Living Room stage has been mostly well-received and represents the series just fine on its own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom