• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I made a crappy concept art for classic Ridley, once I take my 3D course this fall, I hope to make it a reality:
20160624_114819.jpg

I want to make at least one or two more costumes for our friendly neighbourhood space pirate, he and the Metroid universe has a lot of potential. Edgy Phazon/Ing infected Ridley, Toy Ridley, Mecha Ridley, Other M... So much potential.

ConDeeCas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ConDeeCas
I made a crappy concept art for classic Ridley, once I take my 3D course this fall, I hope to make it a reality:View attachment 110767
I want to make at least one or two more costumes for our friendly neighbourhood space pirate, he and the Metroid universe has a lot of potential. Edgy Phazon/Ing infected Ridley, Toy Ridley, Mecha Ridley, Other M... So much potential.
By Toy Ridley I pray to the heavens above that you're talking about the one from Nintendo Land because gosh darnit I love it so much.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Hey Bagan, I just had an idea, you should make a Blog for you Ridley mods, it'll help give it more exposure.

Look at Bronzes Project Ganondorf video.

It already has about 20,000 views in only 2 months.

The closet you ever got to those many views was your old Ridley showcase video and that was over a year ago.

I think a blog would a good idea, maybe have one for you're other Mods too.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
I might have seen Omega Ridley run like this, but i'm not sure it will look good from side view. That animation on the gif certainly would work as a crawl (something Ridley has right now, but it just causes his animation to reset and nothing more unless i'll decide to give him animations). Either way, i wouldn't say he is agile on the ground just because of running speed. Bowser had surprisingly high running speed, but he never was agile.
I was under the impression that Ridley was intended to be a sort of ''reverse Little Mac'', where he excels at Aerial combat but struggles on the ground (thus why Ridley running would be somewhat slow). In any case, I always thought that Ridley having something different from Charizard's and Mewtwo's running was a neat little thing.

I originally wanted to have him use his feet for his Side B instead of right arm, but i couldn't make it look good at the beginning. Few scrapped animations later, i decided to make him use his right arm.
I see. What if you made his start-up animation something similar to a ''swooping'' animation? One of Modern Ridley's original moveset (I think Up B) made him jump upwards before swooping like Red-Arremer, but instead of his feet scratching the floor, Classic Ridley would grab onto opponents.
Ridley jump.png

Well, if at some point you believe your skills have sufficiently improved, this would be a good thing to check back on.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
is there a planned release date for classic ridley or is that still to be determined?
Still to be determined.
How does that mid air grab move work?
The startup is similar to Ganondorf's side B. Ridley dashes towards the front in order to try and connect the grab. Once he grabs though, the mechanics become similar to Bowser's side B from Melee I think. You have 2 options, which is to burn your enemy point blank, or throw the opponent away with his tail.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Welp, the exams thing kinda sort of failed gloriously, so, i'll have to try that again during this month and hopefully it won't be in wrong language again...i need a drink...a strong one...

Looks amazing, my only problem with it his his head during his idle pose. I think it should be facing forward a bit more than to the side.

Also, any news on modern Ridley 2.2? Its been a while since we heard from that.
Yeah, i've been looking at Sm4sh animations for too long and kinda forgot that characters here are facing forward.

The only new thing about him is that latest version of BrawlBox can actually view Meta Ridley's model instead of freaking out and reverting everything to default settings while failing to display things like list of bones and textures. This means that i can properly rig it, but first, i'll need to remove parts that are never shown like his shins, neck and chest.
This was so beautiful, I almost shed tears at the shear savagery and brutality of his moveset. This is excellent.
Thanks.
I really hope you take a career in animations because this is almost professional level animations i'm seeing

2 things.

1.What is his size compared to his S.M size and Brawl size?
2.How does that mid air grab move work?
Thanks, but there still is too much...junk

1. Orthographic of course. He is noticeably smaller than both.
2.png

ScreenCapture505.png

His proportions are a bit different too (neck is 10% shorter and head is 28% smaller).
2. Look below.
I made a crappy concept art for classic Ridley, once I take my 3D course this fall, I hope to make it a reality:View attachment 110767
I'll be looking forward to that.
Hey Bagan, I just had an idea, you should make a Blog for you Ridley mods, it'll help give it more exposure.

Look at Bronzes Project Ganondorf video.

It already has about 20,000 views in only 2 months.

The closet you ever got to those many views was your old Ridley showcase video and that was over a year ago.

I think a blog would a good idea, maybe have one for you're other Mods too.
I don't think it will change much. You have to search for this stuff anyway as far as i know...or is that not true?
I was under the impression that Ridley was intended to be a sort of ''reverse Little Mac'', where he excels at Aerial combat but struggles on the ground (thus why Ridley running would be somewhat slow). In any case, I always thought that Ridley having something different from Charizard's and Mewtwo's running was a neat little thing.
Well, he kinda is supposed to be like that that except he isn't outright pathetic on the ground and he can't side B off the stage. You have to get here if you want to KO anyone quickly and you can CC and that's always nice in PM. You can do everything in the air, but it takes longer.
I see. What if you made his start-up animation something similar to a ''swooping'' animation? One of Modern Ridley's original moveset (I think Up B) made him jump upwards before swooping like Red-Arremer, but instead of his feet scratching the floor, Classic Ridley would grab onto opponents.
View attachment 110963
Well, if at some point you believe your skills have sufficiently improved, this would be a good thing to check back on.
I can do that, but it would fit Up B more at that point. Maybe i should look at other games. I remember one having something fitting.
is there a planned release date for classic ridley or is that still to be determined?
To be determined. Release date will be revealed only when i'll get everything packed into a .rar archive, ready to be uploaded to Dropbox.
The startup is similar to Ganondorf's side B. Ridley dashes towards the front in order to try and connect the grab. Once he grabs though, the mechanics become similar to Bowser's side B from Melee I think. You have 2 options, which is to burn your enemy point blank, or throw the opponent away with his tail.
There are 4 options actually.
:GCD::GCA: - pretty much same as modern Ridley's aerial Side B (burn, then throw down) except weaker.
:GCU::GCA: - Ridley throws his opponent up using his mouth. While he bites the enemy, it doesn't heals him like with normal UThrow and pummel.
:GCR::GCA: - Ridley simply throws his opponent forward with his left leg.
:GCL::GCA: - Ridley impales and throws the enemy with his tail.
He can move freely until he throws the enemy or they break out of it. It gets ridiculous at very high % (and it's not hard to get above 300% even with light characters like Kirby), but trying to carry them to blast zone might...blow up in your face. He is too big to do that unless you move down, but then you won't have enough time to recover. Still, kinda makes me wish this Ridley was in Sm4sh. Y'know, messing around with that grab on those ridiculous stages to see who gets killed by a stage hazard...oh well.

Last edited:

KingJigglypuff

Smash Ace
I'll have to admit, your Classic Ridley has gotten me the most excited over someone's moveset in a long time.

I haven't seen many people make movesets that are up to my standards of quality, so you very well have my kudos.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
hey guys, been outa the loop for a while, so i have a couple questions!

1. is 2.2 the download link available in the OP? Its linking me to 2.1 in brawlvault!

2. is there a changelist for 2.2?

ToaFierceDeityLink

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-4697-8610
Switch FC
SW-8454-1587-3988

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
there might be a changelist in the zip though im not sure it's been a while sence ive tried it
ah k cool thanks!

So also, i was just looking through the thread, and saw some images of the classic/brawl ridley in the recent posts, is there going to be a revert at all back to that ridley? (that question is for anyone here who would know :p )

D

Deleted member

1. Orthographic of course. He is noticeably smaller than both.
View attachment 111422
View attachment 111423
His proportions are a bit different too (neck is 10% shorter and head is 28% smaller).
You know, despite the mod making him the smallest he's been in comparison to Samus outside of the original Metroid, it doesn't give the impression that he's "too small" and looks very natural, as compared to the Other M style before, which honestly felt too drastic and unnatural.

Of course, I think changing some of his proportions helped too.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'll have to admit, your Classic Ridley has gotten me the most excited over someone's moveset in a long time.

I haven't seen many people make movesets that are up to my standards of quality, so you very well have my kudos.
Thanks, I am glad to hear that.
and not long after someone mentioned him the project Ganon creator shows up.... for the link your asking about here the beta link https://www.dropbox.com/s/2rh1326xpgtuxcl/VBrawl Ridley 2.2 (Beta).zip?dl=0
Wrong link. That is the vBrawl port and it's missing his Side B (instead, he uses Neutral B). This is the right one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ff4rptnuan9s90/projectm-pf-fighter-pit.rar?dl=0
Sweet thanks! Is there a changelist? Or does anyone here have a rough list of changes theyve noticed and can list off quickly?
There is no changelist. IIRC, it's mostly updated animations and some changes to attributes (higher falling speed and i think lower weight, but i'm not sure). The most noticeable change is aerial Side B after he grabs someone. It's still a meteor smash, but it's not as strong as it was before.
You know, despite the mod making him the smallest he's been in comparison to Samus outside of the original Metroid, it doesn't give the impression that he's "too small" and looks very natural, as compared to the Other M style before, which honestly felt too drastic and unnatural.

Of course, I think changing some of his proportions helped too.
Super Metroid design is much more...compact when compared to Other M design.

That certainly did help. It looks much more natural at this size with shorter neck and smaller head. It's also much easier to animate him like this because his head doesn't keeps getting in your way.
oh snap sweet! is there a breakdown of that moveset yet? or has it just been mentioned?
You mean like his moveset with details like frame data or just movelist? Neither was really listed here, but i can fix that.

...y'know, after finishing certain romhack, i've been curious about something and this is the result:
0.png

Turns out that Ridley's model's size for classic mod is close to his sprite's max possible size in original Metroid. There's one other thing i wanted to find out:
ScreenCapture63.png

Ridley's size stayed consistent in my mods (it's kinda hard to tell when proportions are so different though), but his weight kept getting lower (old and modern versions were 100 until modern Ridley's weight got lowered to 89 after several updates while classic Ridley is 79 right now).
...i still remember when i defended that old version's quality two years ago...i feel old...

FalconRPG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
F4LC0NPUNCH111
3DS FC
4141-2695-8953
Switch FC
SW-0822-1850-3326
Thanks, I am glad to hear that.

Wrong link. That is the vBrawl port and it's missing his Side B (instead, he uses Neutral B). This is the right one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ff4rptnuan9s90/projectm-pf-fighter-pit.rar?dl=0

There is no changelist. IIRC, it's mostly updated animations and some changes to attributes (higher falling speed and i think lower weight, but i'm not sure). The most noticeable change is aerial Side B after he grabs someone. It's still a meteor smash, but it's not as strong as it was before.

Super Metroid design is much more...compact when compared to Other M design.

That certainly did help. It looks much more natural at this size with shorter neck and smaller head. It's also much easier to animate him like this because his head doesn't keeps getting in your way.

You mean like his moveset with details like frame data or just movelist? Neither was really listed here, but i can fix that.

...y'know, after finishing certain romhack, i've been curious about something and this is the result:
View attachment 111863
Turns out that Ridley's model's size for classic mod is close to his sprite's max possible size in original Metroid. There's one other thing i wanted to find out:
View attachment 111864
Ridley's size stayed consistent in my mods (it's kinda hard to tell when proportions are so different though), but his weight kept getting lower (old and modern versions were 100 until modern Ridley's weight got lowered to 89 after several updates while classic Ridley is 79 right now).
...i still remember when i defended that old version's quality two years ago...i feel old...
This forum will never get enough of size comparisons.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
After hours of work without a break, here it is! This is current data/info/whatever you want to call it on classic Ridley. Nothing is final of course. I'll need to check grammar here at some point because i'm sure i messed up somewhere. When viewing animations in frame data section, keep in mind that they are slowed down to make sure that you see where hitboxes are. Frame data for things like get up attacks and Neutral B is not included.
Weight - 79
Walking Speed - 0.7
Running Speed - 2.25
Jump Height - 2.8
Short Hop Height - 1.2
Jump Length - 0.8
Air Mobility - ~0.2
Max Air Speed - 1.4
Falling Speed - 1.75
Fast-Falling Speed - 2
Jump Start-Up Speed - 4
Landing Lag - 7

Overall, Ridley is...unusual. He is big, slow and strong on the ground, but it doesn't take much to launch him into the blast zone. It's even easier to do in the air, where he can't crouch cancel, but here, he is much faster and while he can't KO until very high % unless he uses his Down B (easy to dodge) or Up B (hard to hit with), he can easily rack up damage and then KO his opponent on the ground. He is still better in the air than on the ground, but you'll get things done faster if you'll attack on the ground as well.
Side view:

Front view:

During idle animation:

As you can see, his feet, hands and tail lack hurtboxes. First 2 lack them because it's not really necessary while his tail, as most (if not all) of you already know, is invincible in Metroid and it's something that never changed, so, i left it invincible. His neck and wings have some hurtboxes, but they aren't covered competely. Only the middle joint of his neck has a hurtbox and only first bone of each wing has them.
Neutral attack - Performs two claw swipes and a tail swipe.
Forward tilt - Swings his tail forward. Sweetspot at the tip. Can't be angled.
Up tilt - Expels a stream of flames from his mouth in an overhead arcing motion. Hits anyone in front of, above and behind him. Deals extra shield damage.
Down tilt - Sweeps his tail across the ground. Sweetspot at the tip.
Dash attack - Performs an upwards slash. Hitbox on his hand deals extra shield damage.
Forward smash - Thrusts his tail forward. Deals high shield damage. Based off Ridley's tail stab attack from 2d games.
Up smash - Performs a powerful overhead wing clap. Taken from Super Smash Bros Crusade's moveset.
Down smash - Jumps forward while spinning. Sweetspot at the tip. Based off Meta Ridley's attack performed while turning after his dash attack.
Neutral aerial - Curls up and spins several times in the air. Based off Samus' Screw Attack, which is obtained in Fusion by absorbing Ridley-X.
Forward aerial - Slashes forward in a diagonal arc.
Back aerial - Swings his tail behind in a diagonal arc. Sweetspot at the tip.
Up aerial - Swipes in an arc above his head.
Down aerial - Thrusts his tail below him. A "stall-then-fall" type of attack. If attack hits, Ridley will bounce up. Based off Ridley's "pogo tail" attack from 2d games.
Pummel - Ridley bites the enemy. Heals 1%.
Forward throw - Slams the enemy into the ground with enough force to KO early.
Back throw - Impales, then throws the enemy behind him with his tail.
Up throw - Tears the enemy of out his grasp, then throws above him using his jaws. Heals 1%.
Down throw - Throws the enemy to the ground, burns them and then stomps them.
Floor attack (front) - Swings his tail up and behind him.
Floor attack (back) - Expels a stream of flames below him while flying at low altitude.
Floor attack (slip) - N/A
Fast ledge attack - Somersaults and attacks with his tail before landing on the platform.
Slow ledge attack - Thrust his tail into the platform, then moves it closer to the ledge before climbing up. Based off Ridley boss' ledge attack from SSB4. Animation and coding not finished.
Neutral special - Charges up energy to fire it in form of a fireball. Increases in size and moves up and down less with each charge level. In current state, fireball is automatically released upon reaching full charge. Based off Ridley's various fireball attacks.
Side special - Lunges forward to grab the enemy. Upon contact, Ridley rises and starts flying. By pressing A while moving control stick in one of the 4 directions, he will perform a throw. While holding his opponent, Ridley can freely move in any direction until he performs a throw or enemy breaks out of his grasp. Based off Ridley's grab from Super Metroid.
-Forward throw - Throws the enemy forward.
-Back throw - Impales, then throws the enemy behind him with his tail.
-Up throw - Throws the enemy up using his jaws.
-Down throw - Burns the enemy while holding them in his hand, then throws them down. Based off Ridley's grab attack from Metroid Zero Mission.​
Up special - Performs something similar to an "inside loop". Can't be used again if it was used in the air. Can grab the ledge while jumping back and performing the loop. Based off one of Ridley's attacks in Brawl.
Down special - On the ground, Ridley rears back, then dashes forward. Attacks ends in the air and gives light armor at the beginning and heavy armor while dashing forward. In the air, he performs ground pound kind of move. Can grab the ledge while falling. Deals high shield damage. Ground version is based off Meta Ridley's dash attack from Metroid Prime while aerial version is based off Meta Ridley and Ridley clone's ground pound attack.
Final Smash - N/A (certainly not going to be Meta Ridley because...seriously?)

Active frames - 4-5
Frames total - 34
IASA frame - 20
Hitbox placement - Right arm/Right forearm/Right hand
Damage - 4/4/4
Launch angle - 65/65/65
Weight knockback - 22/22/22
Knockback growth - 100/100/100

Active frames - 5-6
Frames total - 40
IASA frame - 23
Hitbox placement - Left arm/Left forearm/Left hand
Damage - 4/4/4
Launch angle - 45/45/45
Weight knockback - 50/50/50

Active frames - 13-16
Frames total - 35
IASA frame - 28
Hitbox placement - Tail's base/Tail's tip
Damage - 5/5
Launch angle - 60/60
Base knockback - 50/50
Knockback growth - 110/110

Active frames - 14-16
Frames total - 45
IASA frame - 40
Damage - 9/12
Launch angle - 45/45
Base knockback - 30/30

Active frames - 9-25
Frames total - 40
Hitbox placement - Mouth
Damage - 13-8 (-1 each 3rd active frame) + 10 shield damage
Launch angle - 96
Base knockback - 60
Knockback growth - 80

Active frames - 12-13
Frames total - 40
Damage - 8/11
Launch angle - 361 (45 at the start)/361
Base knockback - 30
Knockback growth - 90

Active frames - 9-11
Frames total - 50
IASA frame - 42
Damage - 11/12/13
Launch angle - 75/75/75
Base knockback - 60/60/60
Knockback growth - 80/80/80

Active frames - 51-55 (without charging)
Frames total - 45 (start up) + 40 (attack)
Hitbox placement - Tail
Damage - 20 + 40 shield damage
Launch angle - 45
Base knockback - 50
Knockback growth - 80

Active frames - 17-21 (wings moving), 24-26 (clap)
Frames total - 14 (start up) + 45 (attack)
Hitbox placement - Left wing A/Left wing B/Left wing C/Right wing A/Right wing B/Right wing C (wings moving), Wings (clap)
Damage - 3/3/3/3/3/3 (wings moving), 10 (clap)
Launch angle - 135/135/145/135/135/145 (wings moving), 90 (clap)
Base knockback - 70 (clap)
Weight knockback - 150/130/130/150/130/130 (wings moving)
Knockback growth - 100/90/105/100/90/105 (wings moving), 100 (clap)

Active frames - 16-33 (without charging)
Frames total - 13 (start up) + 50 (attack)
Damage - 12/17
Launch angle - 45
Base knockback - 40/40
Knockback growth - 90/90

Active frames - 12-43
Frames total - 70
Hitbox placement - Body
Damage - 1 (hit 1-6), 3 (final hit)
Launch angle - 365 (hit 1-6), 45 (final hit)
Base knockback - 50 (final hit)
Weight knockback - 20 (hit 1-6)
Knockback growth - 100 (hit 1-6), 75 (final hit)
Landing lag - 30

Active frames - 12-15
Frames total - 40
IASA frame - 27
Hitbox placement - Left arm
Damage - 9
Launch angle - 57
Base knockback - 35
Knockback growth - 70
Landing lag - 30

Active frames - 12-16
Frames total - 40
Damage - 6/8
Launch angle - 45-120/135
Base knockback - 60/70
Knockback growth - 50/60
Landing lag - 30

Active frames - 14-18
Frames total - 40
IASA frame - 33
Hitbox placement - Right arm
Damage - 9
Launch angle - 100
Base knockback - 30
Knockback growth - 70
Landing lag - 30

Active frames - 14-17 (thrust), 18-39 (descend)
Frames total - 60
Hitbox placement - Tail
Damage - 10 (+1% each 5th active frame)
Launch angle - 270 (thrust), 90 (descend)
Base knockback - 50
Knockback growth - 70
Landing lag - 50

Active frames - 8-9
Frames total - 30

Active frames - 8-10
Frames total - 40
Forward throw:
Damage - 14
Launch angle - 60
Base knockback - 60
Knockback growth - 80
Frames total - 50
End lag - 26

Back throw:
Damage - 11
Launch angle - 125
Base knockback - 65
Knockback growth - 65
Frames total - 45
End lag - 20

Up throw:
Damage - 12
Launch angle - 90
Base knockback - 90
Knockback growth - 40
Frames total - 40
End lag - 11

Down throw:
Damage - 14
Launch angle - 75
Base knockback - 100
Knockback growth - 40
Frames total - 115
End lag - 38

Active frames - 8-18
Frames total - 48
Forward throw:
Damage - 6
Launch angle - 60
Base knockback - 60
Knockback growth - 80
Frames total - 30
End lag - 23

Back throw:
Damage - 8
Launch angle - 120
Base knockback - 50
Knockback growth - 60
Frames total - 40
End lag - 25

Up throw:
Damage - 10
Launch angle - 90
Base knockback - 60
Knockback growth - 40
Frames total - 40
End lag - 28

Down throw:
Damage - 10
Launch angle - 270
Base knockback - 60
Knockback growth - 70
Frames total - 90
End lag - 25

Active frames - 19-36
Frames total - 51
Hitbox placement - Head and torso
Damage - 18
Launch angle - 70
Base knockback - 50
Knockback growth - 80

Active frames - 33-45
Light armor (75KB resistance) frames - 1-23
Heavy armor (150KB resistance) frames - 33-45
Frames total - 65
Damage - 3 (first hit) + 3 shield damage, 21 (second hit) + 30 shield damage
Launch angle - 361 (both hits)
Base knockback - 100 (first hit), 50 (second hit)
Knockback growth - 76 (first hit), 80 (second hit)

Active frames - 25-∞ (descend), 1-8 (landing)
Frames total - ∞ (descend), 35 (landing)
Hitbox placement - Legs (descend), Ground A/Ground B/Ground C/Ground D/Ground E (landing)
Damage - 17 (descend) + 30 shield damage, 4/7/10/7/4 (landing, grounded enemies only)
Launch angle - 70 (descend), 10/45/90/45/10 (landing)
Base knockback - 70 (descend), 30/70/100/70/30 (landing)
Knockback growth - 81 (descend), 110/55/70/55/110 (landing)
On-screen appearance - flies onto the stage like in Melee's intro FMV.
Up taunt - Rears his head back and roars. Same as modern Ridley's.
Side taunt - Performs a beckoning gesture, then roars. Same as modern Ridley's.
Down taunt - Crouches and scratches the ground while roaring. I think that's what Omega Ridley does, but i'm not sure.
Victory animation 1 - Holds the Metroid hatchling capsule while colored pitch black. Then, his eyes light up and his scales regain their normal color. After that, he scratches the capsule, jumps back and flies out of camera's view. Based off how Ridley is encountered on Ceres and how he escapes from it.
Victory animation 2 - N/A
Victory animation 3 - N/A
Thank god i had a .brstm file to listen while doing all of this.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I have two questions! What made you decide to make the fireball chargeable, and what made you choose a dash attack thingy as a grounded down-special?

Oh, and this may be me, but his wings look a little weird on the standard animation, all super folded up and bent and stuff. Probably nothing you can do about it though. I'm so excited for this.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
After hours of work without a break, here it is! This is current data/info/whatever you want to call it on classic Ridley. Nothing is final of course. I'll need to check grammar here at some point because i'm sure i messed up somewhere. When viewing animations in frame data section, keep in mind that they are slowed down to make sure that you see where hitboxes are. Frame data for things like get up attacks and Neutral B is not included.
Weight - 79
Walking Speed - 0.7
Running Speed - 2.25
Jump Height - 2.8
Short Hop Height - 1.2
Jump Length - 0.8
Air Mobility - ~0.2
Max Air Speed - 1.4
Falling Speed - 1.75
Fast-Falling Speed - 2
Jump Start-Up Speed - 4
Landing Lag - 7

Overall, Ridley is...unusual. He is big, slow and strong on the ground, but it doesn't take much to launch him into the blast zone. It's even easier to do in the air, where he can't crouch cancel, but here, he is much faster and while he can't KO until very high % unless he uses his Down B (easy to dodge) or Up B (hard to hit with), he can easily rack up damage and then KO his opponent on the ground. He is still better in the air than on the ground, but you'll get things done faster if you'll attack on the ground as well.
Side view:

Front view:

During idle animation:

As you can see, his feet, hands and tail lack hurtboxes. First 2 lack them because it's not really necessary while his tail, as most (if not all) of you already know, is invincible in Metroid and it's something that never changed, so, i left it invincible. His neck and wings have some hurtboxes, but they aren't covered competely. Only the middle joint of his neck has a hurtbox and only first bone of each wing has them.
Neutral attack - Performs two claw swipes and a tail swipe.
Forward tilt - Swings his tail forward. Sweetspot at the tip. Can't be angled.
Up tilt - Expels a stream of flames from his mouth in an overhead arcing motion. Hits anyone in front of, above and behind him. Deals extra shield damage.
Down tilt - Sweeps his tail across the ground. Sweetspot at the tip.
Dash attack - Performs an upwards slash. Hitbox on his hand deals extra shield damage.
Forward smash - Thrusts his tail forward. Deals high shield damage. Based off Ridley's tail stab attack from 2d games.
Up smash - Performs a powerful overhead wing clap. Taken from Super Smash Bros Crusade's moveset.
Down smash - Jumps forward while spinning. Sweetspot at the tip. Based off Meta Ridley's attack performed while turning after his dash attack.
Neutral aerial - Curls up and spins several times in the air. Based off Samus' Screw Attack, which is obtained in Fusion by absorbing Ridley-X.
Forward aerial - Slashes forward in a diagonal arc.
Back aerial - Swings his tail behind in a diagonal arc. Sweetspot at the tip.
Up aerial - Swipes in an arc above his head.
Down aerial - Thrusts his tail below him. A "stall-then-fall" type of attack. If attack hits, Ridley will bounce up. Based off Ridley's "pogo tail" attack from 2d games.
Pummel - Ridley bites the enemy. Heals 1%.
Forward throw - Slams the enemy into the ground with enough force to KO early.
Back throw - Impales, then throws the enemy behind him with his tail.
Up throw - Tears the enemy of out his grasp, then throws above him using his jaws. Heals 1%.
Down throw - Throws the enemy to the ground, burns them and then stomps them.
Floor attack (front) - Swings his tail up and behind him.
Floor attack (back) - Expels a stream of flames below him while flying at low altitude.
Floor attack (slip) - N/A
Fast ledge attack - Somersaults and attacks with his tail before landing on the platform.
Slow ledge attack - Thrust his tail into the platform, then moves it closer to the ledge before climbing up. Based off Ridley boss' ledge attack from SSB4. Animation and coding not finished.
Neutral special - Charges up energy to fire it in form of a fireball. Increases in size and moves up and down less with each charge level. In current state, fireball is automatically released upon reaching full charge. Based off Ridley's various fireball attacks.
Side special - Lunges forward to grab the enemy. Upon contact, Ridley rises and starts flying. By pressing A while moving control stick in one of the 4 directions, he will perform a throw. While holding his opponent, Ridley can freely move in any direction until he performs a throw or enemy breaks out of his grasp. Based off Ridley's grab from Super Metroid.
-Forward throw - Throws the enemy forward.
-Back throw - Impales, then throws the enemy behind him with his tail.
-Up throw - Throws the enemy up using his jaws.
-Down throw - Burns the enemy while holding them in his hand, then throws them down. Based off Ridley's grab attack from Metroid Zero Mission.​
Up special - Performs something similar to an "inside loop". Can't be used again if it was used in the air. Can grab the ledge while jumping back and performing the loop. Based off one of Ridley's attacks in Brawl.
Down special - On the ground, Ridley rears back, then dashes forward. Attacks ends in the air and gives light armor at the beginning and heavy armor while dashing forward. In the air, he performs ground pound kind of move. Can grab the ledge while falling. Deals high shield damage. Ground version is based off Meta Ridley's dash attack from Metroid Prime while aerial version is based off Meta Ridley and Ridley clone's ground pound attack.
Final Smash - N/A (certainly not going to be Meta Ridley because...seriously?)

Active frames - 4-5
Frames total - 34
IASA frame - 20
Damage - 4/4/4
Launch angle - 65/65/65
Weight knockback - 22/22/22

Active frames - 5-6
Frames total - 40
IASA frame - 23
Hitbox placement - Left arm/Left forearm/Left hand
Damage - 4/4/4
Launch angle - 45/45/45
Weight knockback - 50/50/50

Active frames - 13-16
Frames total - 35
IASA frame - 28
Damage - 5/5
Launch angle - 60/60
Base knockback - 50/50

Active frames - 14-16
Frames total - 45
IASA frame - 40
Damage - 9/12
Launch angle - 45/45
Base knockback - 30/30

Active frames - 9-25
Frames total - 40
Hitbox placement - Mouth
Damage - 13-8 (-1 each 3rd active frame) + 10 shield damage
Launch angle - 96
Base knockback - 60
Knockback growth - 80

Active frames - 12-13
Frames total - 40
Damage - 8/11
Launch angle - 361 (45 at the start)/361
Base knockback - 30
Knockback growth - 90

Active frames - 9-11
Frames total - 50
IASA frame - 42
Damage - 11/12/13
Launch angle - 75/75/75
Base knockback - 60/60/60
Knockback growth - 80/80/80

Active frames - 51-55 (without charging)
Frames total - 45 (start up) + 40 (attack)
Hitbox placement - Tail
Damage - 20 + 40 shield damage
Launch angle - 45
Base knockback - 50
Knockback growth - 80

Active frames - 17-21 (wings moving), 24-26 (clap)
Frames total - 14 (start up) + 45 (attack)
Hitbox placement - Left wing A/Left wing B/Left wing C/Right wing A/Right wing B/Right wing C (wings moving), Wings (clap)
Damage - 3/3/3/3/3/3 (wings moving), 10 (clap)
Launch angle - 135/135/145/135/135/145 (wings moving), 90 (clap)
Base knockback - 70 (clap)
Weight knockback - 150/130/130/150/130/130 (wings moving)
Knockback growth - 100/90/105/100/90/105 (wings moving), 100 (clap)

Active frames - 16-33 (without charging)
Frames total - 13 (start up) + 50 (attack)
Damage - 12/17
Launch angle - 45
Base knockback - 40/40
Knockback growth - 90/90

Active frames - 12-43
Frames total - 70
Hitbox placement - Body
Damage - 1 (hit 1-6), 3 (final hit)
Launch angle - 365 (hit 1-6), 45 (final hit)
Base knockback - 50 (final hit)
Weight knockback - 20 (hit 1-6)
Knockback growth - 100 (hit 1-6), 75 (final hit)
Landing lag - 30

Active frames - 12-15
Frames total - 40
IASA frame - 27
Hitbox placement - Left arm
Damage - 9
Launch angle - 57
Base knockback - 35
Knockback growth - 70
Landing lag - 30

Active frames - 12-16
Frames total - 40
Damage - 6/8
Launch angle - 45-120/135
Base knockback - 60/70
Knockback growth - 50/60
Landing lag - 30

Active frames - 14-18
Frames total - 40
IASA frame - 33
Hitbox placement - Right arm
Damage - 9
Launch angle - 100
Base knockback - 30
Knockback growth - 70
Landing lag - 30

Active frames - 14-17 (thrust), 18-39 (descend)
Frames total - 60
Hitbox placement - Tail
Damage - 10 (+1% each 5th active frame)
Launch angle - 270 (thrust), 90 (descend)
Base knockback - 50
Knockback growth - 70
Landing lag - 50

Active frames - 8-9
Frames total - 30

Active frames - 8-10
Frames total - 40
Forward throw:
Damage - 14
Launch angle - 60
Base knockback - 60
Knockback growth - 80
Frames total - 50
End lag - 26

Back throw:
Damage - 11
Launch angle - 125
Base knockback - 65
Knockback growth - 65
Frames total - 45
End lag - 20

Up throw:
Damage - 12
Launch angle - 90
Base knockback - 90
Knockback growth - 40
Frames total - 40
End lag - 11

Down throw:
Damage - 14
Launch angle - 75
Base knockback - 100
Knockback growth - 40
Frames total - 115
End lag - 38

Active frames - 8-18
Frames total - 48
Forward throw:
Damage - 6
Launch angle - 60
Base knockback - 60
Knockback growth - 80
Frames total - 30
End lag - 23

Back throw:
Damage - 8
Launch angle - 120
Base knockback - 50
Knockback growth - 60
Frames total - 40
End lag - 25

Up throw:
Damage - 10
Launch angle - 90
Base knockback - 60
Knockback growth - 40
Frames total - 40
End lag - 28

Down throw:
Damage - 10
Launch angle - 270
Base knockback - 60
Knockback growth - 70
Frames total - 90
End lag - 25

Active frames - 19-36
Frames total - 51
Damage - 18
Launch angle - 70
Base knockback - 50
Knockback growth - 80

Active frames - 33-45
Light armor (75KB resistance) frames - 1-23
Heavy armor (150KB resistance) frames - 33-45
Frames total - 65
Damage - 3 (first hit) + 3 shield damage, 21 (second hit) + 30 shield damage
Launch angle - 361 (both hits)
Base knockback - 100 (first hit), 50 (second hit)
Knockback growth - 76 (first hit), 80 (second hit)

Active frames - 25-∞ (descend), 1-8 (landing)
Frames total - ∞ (descend), 35 (landing)
Hitbox placement - Legs (descend), Ground A/Ground B/Ground C/Ground D/Ground E (landing)
Damage - 17 (descend) + 30 shield damage, 4/7/10/7/4 (landing, grounded enemies only)
Launch angle - 70 (descend), 10/45/90/45/10 (landing)
Base knockback - 70 (descend), 30/70/100/70/30 (landing)
Knockback growth - 81 (descend), 110/55/70/55/110 (landing)
On-screen appearance - flies onto the stage like in Melee's intro FMV.
Up taunt - Rears his head back and roars. Same as modern Ridley's.
Side taunt - Performs a beckoning gesture, then roars. Same as modern Ridley's.
Down taunt - Crouches and scratches the ground while roaring. I think that's what Omega Ridley does, but i'm not sure.
Victory animation 1 - Holds the Metroid hatchling capsule while colored pitch black. Then, his eyes light up and his scales regain their normal color. After that, he scratches the capsule, jumps back and flies out of camera's view. Based off how Ridley is encountered on Ceres and how he escapes from it.
Victory animation 2 - N/A
Victory animation 3 - N/A
Thank god i had a .brstm file to listen while doing all of this.
so from what i'm seeing, the main change for classic ridley is gona be the nautral special (fireball) right?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I have two questions! What made you decide to make the fireball chargeable, and what made you choose a dash attack thingy as a grounded down-special?

Oh, and this may be me, but his wings look a little weird on the standard animation, all super folded up and bent and stuff. Probably nothing you can do about it though. I'm so excited for this.
Lucario already had a chargeable fireball, so, i decided to leave it. Ridley already used it like this in Brawl. As for the grounded down B, i just didn't want to have another character with ground pound down B, so, after discussing this with beta testers, i left his Metroid Prime dash attack as down B.

Brawl Ridley's wings weren't meant to be bent that much and it's noticeable with the last finger (or should it be first one?). But it's not that much different from how he folds them in Other M except they don't bend backwards.
so from what i'm seeing, the main change for classic ridley is gona be the nautral special (fireball) right?
I'd say it's his side B. It allows him to do quite a lot of things with all of those throws. That includes limited chain grabs in the air of all things (fortunately, Captain Falcon gets out of reach above 50%, so, it's not too bad).

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
Lucario already had a chargeable fireball, so, i decided to leave it. Ridley already used it like this in Brawl. As for the grounded down B, i just didn't want to have another character with ground pound down B, so, after discussing this with beta testers, i left his Metroid Prime dash attack as down B.

Brawl Ridley's wings weren't meant to be bent that much and it's noticeable with the last finger (or should it be first one?). But it's not that much different from how he folds them in Other M except they don't bend backwards.

I'd say it's his side B. It allows him to do quite a lot of things with all of those throws. That includes limited chain grabs in the air of all things (fortunately, Captain Falcon gets out of reach above 50%, so, it's not too bad).
ah ok so those 2 are the major changes ya? Im gona miss the other fireball :(
who is this ridley gona be over? Still pit?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
ah ok so those 2 are the major changes ya? Im gona miss the other fireball :(
who is this ridley gona be over? Still pit?
In terms of moveset, yes. Others are mostly variations of modern Ridley's attacks.
It's Lucario now, but i already prepared a version for ports that shares Wolf's soundbank.

Also, it might be possible to use Ridley in vBrawl with some minor changes because this time, module file isn't modified anyhow and i'm still using vBrawl Lucario as a base. I should test that at some point though.

Last edited:

NXero

Smash Apprentice
Good to see you're still working on this, your classic Ridley sounds amazing!

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
i just didn't want to have another character with ground pound down B, so, after discussing this with beta testers, i left his Metroid Prime dash attack as down B.
Agreed, I love this decision, especially considering how much of his gameplay is based in the air, and how handy the ground-pound is for that. I remember first trying Ridley, back when he had that reflector for a down-special.

Those were weird days.
You've gone so far... I'm so happy. :sadeyes:

Ridley1994

Smash Cadet
While I enjoy Modern Ridley immensely, I am definitely crawling out of my skin with anticipation while waiting for Classic Ridley. He looks spectacular even though I HATE the original brawl boss model. You are brilliant and Classic Ridley looks like He is well on His way to being the greatest Ridley Mod yet...

Last edited:

Prologue-9

Smash Rookie
NNID
Grimmdays
Yeah, as much as I've been loving modern Ridley, I haven't been able to touch him waiting for Classic to come out.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
While I enjoy Modern Ridley immensely, I am definitely crawling out of my skin with anticipation while waiting for Classic Ridley. He looks spectacular even though I HATE the original brawl boss model. You are brilliant and Classic Ridley looks like He is well on His way to being the greatest Ridley Mod yet...
I also had (emphasis on past tense) issues with Brawl Ridley. I always thought it was disproportionate, and the eyes looked a bit too unemotional, not menacing enough. Good ol' Bagan's good at editing crappy Ridley models and making them look high quality.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Classic Ridley, more like further improved Ridley, right?
Can't wait for this to come out, his model, moveset and animations and attacks look so good.
Meta Ridley alt, please

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Agreed, I love this decision, especially considering how much of his gameplay is based in the air, and how handy the ground-pound is for that. I remember first trying Ridley, back when he had that reflector for a down-special.

Those were weird days.
You've gone so far... I'm so happy. :sadeyes:
Yeah, it really is useful when there aren't many ways to KO someone in the air. And you can edge cancel it (or whatever it should be called...i'm talking about stuff he did in the trailer during DK's match).

You know what i'd call weird days? Days when Ridley had wing clap UAir, fake projectiles (one chargable and one more like SSBC Ridley's except with much lower firing rate), bad animations, badly done recolors (done using Power Point...yeah...), broken BAir and so on. Thinking of it makes me feel old.
I am happy about that too.
Thanks.
Classic Ridley, more like further improved Ridley, right?
Can't wait for this to come out, his model, moveset and animations and attacks look so good.
Meta Ridley alt, please
Meta Ridley will be done, but i'll need a lot of time to make everything on him fit. Distance between his wings is different, his tail is longer and distance between tail bones is too different, his fingers are longer and...there was one more thing, but i forgot what it was. But it will be worth the time.

Do you think it would be too much if his Side B throws would be different on the ground (different damage and animation length, but same launch angle and knockback)? Start up on ground is longer than in the air after all. Or should i just fix the problem with Side B (if he is too close to the ground, opponent breaks out of his grab at any %)? I'm not going to try doing first option until i'm done with all animations to make sure that i won't reach the limit, but it's something i've been thinking about.

Last edited:

Ridley1994

Smash Cadet
The Meta Ridley alt for Classic Ridley will definitely be a sight to behold when it becomes a reality. Without your mods I'd have no Ridley, who I use to torture friends and family with. I will always be grateful that you thought sack of rice was full of **** and made Ridley into a working character. The fact that you've done it twice is just the icing on the cake...

Last edited:

Joako Fargo 1054

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cryoshell-ARTPOP
3DS FC
2810-0529-1863
i will wait for ridley...... i have a few questions.. 1. the other m model works still working?? 2. when you will release the other meta ridley? 3. can you make another mod... for example, like bayonetta with her smash 4 moves??

latinking

Smash Apprentice
can you make another mod... for example, like bayonetta with her smash 4 moves??
Bagan's work focuses mostly on monstrous characters and villains. I'm pretty sure there are already other modders out there re-creating Smash 4's new characters. I've seen Shulk, Little Mac, Ryu and Lucina so far.

Top Bottom