• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

Dranakar

Smash Apprentice
Wow :D Classic Ridley looks amazing! Like him even more than the original! Can't wait to see him in action! You can sign me up for testing too if you should need more :)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Do you need any testing for him, because I'm not doing anything right now.
Wow :D Classic Ridley looks amazing! Like him even more than the original! Can't wait to see him in action! You can sign me up for testing too if you should need more :)
I don't need testers right now, but if something will go wrong, then sure.

Before i'll go to prepare for exams, have this render:
untitled.png

Done in Blender using Smash 3(C?)'s tutorial because it's first time i'm doing this and i might have done it incorrectly, but at least it looks better than in BrawlBox. I'll upload renders for other colors later. It takes a while for them to be finished.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

View attachment 109374
Done in Blender using Smash 3(C?)'s tutorial because it's first time i'm doing this and i might have done it incorrectly, but at least it looks better than in BrawlBox. I'll upload renders for other colors later. It takes a while for them to be finished.
Untitled-1.jpg

Good luck with you exams, Bagan.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
View attachment 109375
Good luck with you exams, Bagan.
Thanks.

Here are all of the renders + default color with higher resolution:

Super Metroid color might need to be redone, but not now or else this PC will blow up like Zebes. I haven't made CPSs, CSSs or BPs with those renders yet, but stocks are ready.

They were made in paint because i have no idea how to make them without looking too pixelated. They don't match his renders because the way his head is angled makes it hard to scale it properly. I'll replace them as soon as i'll get something better.

Now i'll go back to reading...why...why that book of all things...

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

View attachment 109374
Niiiiice. Kind of reminds me of Firebrand's artwork from UMVC3.
image.png

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Thanks.

Here are all of the renders + default color with higher resolution:

Super Metroid color might need to be redone, but not now or else this PC will blow up like Zebes. I haven't made CPSs, CSSs or BPs with those renders yet, but stocks are ready.

They were made in paint because i have no idea how to make them without looking too pixelated. They don't match his renders because the way his head is angled makes it hard to scale it properly. I'll replace them as soon as i'll get something better.

Now i'll go back to reading...why...why that book of all things...
Those are beautiful, I love them, though I think most are *waaay* too saturated for Brawl's aesthetic.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Niiiiice. Kind of reminds me of Firebrand's artwork from UMVC3.
View attachment 109724
...yeah, it does looks similar.
Those are beautiful, I love them, though I think most are *waaay* too saturated for Brawl's aesthetic.
True. But it's easy to fix.

While i'm not done with exams, i have around 3 days to relax because i can't do anything about the next one anyway. I got the replay records from soopercool101, so, i can finally start working on that. For now, have this:

Needs some tweaking, but not now.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
...yeah, it does looks similar.

True. But it's easy to fix.

While i'm not done with exams, i have around 3 days to relax because i can't do anything about the next one anyway. I got the replay records from soopercool101, so, i can finally start working on that. For now, have this:

Needs some tweaking, but not now.
It is the most amazing victory animation I have ever seen. Excellent work as always, Bagan.

PegasusKnt

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys. I have some questions about Ridley. I recently downloaded a PM compatible BrawlEx (this more precisely: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=210715) and I see it comes with Ridley. But, it doesn't seem to come with Ridley's sfx? Or if it does, they aren't working for me. It's just using all of Pit's sounds. Does Ridley have sfx, including an announcer call? If so I'd love to include him in my build. He seems like a really fun character- an odd cross between browser and jigglypuff.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hi guys. I have some questions about Ridley. I recently downloaded a PM compatible BrawlEx (this more precisely: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=210715) and I see it comes with Ridley. But, it doesn't seem to come with Ridley's sfx? Or if it does, they aren't working for me. It's just using all of Pit's sounds. Does Ridley have sfx, including an announcer call? If so I'd love to include him in my build. He seems like a really fun character- an odd cross between browser and jigglypuff.
That one doesn't comes with Ridley's SFX and it's using Pit's sounds. There should be a file that uses Ridley boss' soundbank instead somewhere in this thread.

Video is uploading now. Hopefully audio will not be delayed again like with Metal Face.

Last edited:

The Peacekeeper

Smash Cadet
Here it is:
Took few hours to do and there might be some things that are missing (other than Fox), but i think it's good enough.
Well... That was... um...

Komachi lend me a hand here, how do I respond to this?

That works.

Oh my god Bagan, how the hell do you make big characters not only work but make them look good with such a Kick-**** moveset?!

I don't get it!

And as for Classic Ridley, is he's the character that you have to keep racking up those combos and or else that Jigs is going to wipe you out with a nicely time Down-B? Because that's pretty alright.

Last edited:

Draco_The

Smash Lord
For me. the deal-breaker with the other Ridley was his model and also his animations (more the model than the animations tho), but this new version seems to improve in both aspects while also making him funnier to play. Can't wait for its release.

I think self-healing with the pummels is a bit too much tho.

KingJigglypuff

Smash Ace
Wow, I'm liking this Ridley much more than your current one.

I might as well let the cat out of the bag now, but before this was revealed, I was planning on making my own Ridley. Looks like I don't have to now.

I even had a set of recolors planned for my (now scrapped) moveset, too. You can all take a look for yourself. http://imgur.com/a/GVc3A

I agree, but I also disagree for two reasons.
1.) Ivysaur has a healing grab in PM.
2.) Ridley has the ability to heal himself by consuming flesh (Metroid Manga).

If you don't already know, here's how you prevent the negative damage glitch.

X=How much you want healed.
Code:
Set Loop: X Times
If Compare: IC-Basic[2] > 0
Add/Subtract Damage: -1
EndIf
Synchronous Timer: Frames=1
Execute Loop

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here it is:
Took few hours to do and there might be some things that are missing (other than Fox), but i think it's good enough.
Holy ****.

I may question how balanced this is based on how easy it looks for him to wreck everyone (though I suppose that's what character trailers are for :p), but this.....is probably the most NATURAL I've seen in a Ridley mod.

Good job.

Rialdospaldacht

Smash Journeyman
Holy ****cakes is that up for download yet or did I just miss it? I've only been skimming the topic and saw that trailer.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Here it is:
I have 3 comments:

1. I'm not particularly fond of his running animation, in which he flies across the floor like Charizard/Mewtwo. For a large character to be quite agile on both ground and air seems problematic in my honest opinion. If you ever think the running animation needs to be changed, the only suggestion I have is for him to do a slow run on all fours, but not at all like your prior Ridley mod though! In Prime 3, Ridley occasionally ''runs'' after you in a sort of slow, ''pouncing'' way (hard to describe). The gif below is simply to show how a classic-based Ridley can still look natural on all fours.

2. The Side B. It seems awkward for him to grab with his arms first, and then having to move his grabbed opponent below him to be carried by his feet. In particular, the trailer shows him grabbing an opponent with his arm, moving the same opponent to his feet, and then moving the opponent BACK to his arms to shoot the point-blank fireballs... I suggest his Side B animation should be Ridley lunging himself, feet first, towards the enemy, in order for the following transition to the ''grab-successful'' animation to be seamless. The image below is a Seregios from Monster Hunter during a pose when it tries to grab players with its talons. This is more or less what Ridley could do during Side B prior to the move connecting with the enemy. Whether or not Ridley should be heading towards the enemy in a straight line, or at an angle from above would be the next question...

3. The screen-shaking effect caused by Ridley's walking animation. I think it's unnecessary, due to Ridley being quite a lightweight. I realize that your earlier, modern Ridley was also a lightweight, but I suppose Other M's bulky design made it seem more... fitting back then, especially with his running animation where he slammed his muscular arms against the floor.

Everything else I saw in the trailer is wonderful. Congrats BaganSmashBros, for proving not once, but twice that Ridley was always a plausible candidate as a playable fighter. Watching your classic Ridley in action, and then looking at the gif below...
It's finally happening... what we were promised back in 2001.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Bagan, I love you, so SO severely. SO MUCH. I was not expecting to love this so much, I'm so happy. I have so many questions! Will you reuse Brawl Meta Ridley as a costume eventually? Or accessorise Brawl Ridley, the same way you did your Other M-ish design? Is this based on the previous skeleton, so you can use previous Ridley Costumes? Does it go over Pit again? I'm so happy, I love everything so much. ❤
I have 3 comments:
You are smart, and absolutely right on the third part. I feel like changing the run might be waaayyy too redefining of Ridley's character. He's a flyer, loves the air, naturally he'll stay there. Also Brawl Ridley does that a lot.

Also, your thoughts on the side special make sense, but it's a while weight change, not just a shift. I don't know how well that'd work.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hopefully i didn't miss anything.

Easily some of your best work.
Thanks and hopefully others won't be far from it.
Well... That was... um...

Komachi lend me a hand here, how do I respond to this?

That works.

Oh my god Bagan, how the hell do you make big characters not only work but make them look good with such a Kick-**** moveset?!

I don't get it!

And as for Classic Ridley, is he's the character that you have to keep racking up those combos and or else that Jigs is going to wipe you out with a nicely time Down-B? Because that's pretty alright.
I'm just that good ( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

...Yeah he is that kind of character.
For me. the deal-breaker with the other Ridley was his model and also his animations (more the model than the animations tho), but this new version seems to improve in both aspects while also making him funnier to play. Can't wait for its release.

I think it's fine as a reference to the manga. It's not good to actually think of it during the battle like with Ivysaur.
Wow, I'm liking this Ridley much more than your current one.

I might as well let the cat out of the bag now, but before this was revealed, I was planning on making my own Ridley. Looks like I don't have to now.

I even had a set of recolors planned for my (now scrapped) moveset, too. You can all take a look for yourself. http://imgur.com/a/GVc3A

If you don't already know, here's how you prevent the negative damage glitch.

X=How much you want healed.
Code:
Set Loop: X Times
If Compare: IC-Basic[2] > 0
Add/Subtract Damage: -1
EndIf
Synchronous Timer: Frames=1
Execute Loop
I didn't even think you would do that. At least it didn't go far.
And i already have that code to prevent negative damage, but thanks for it anyway.

...wait, was Meta Ridley here adapted to Ridley's skeleton here or it didn't go that far?
Hype

It'd be great if you and KJP could share those recolors he made (and Meta Ridley). They look fantastic.

So this comes out soon (tm)?
Yes, Soon™. And those recolors do look nice (especially black one). Not sure what some of them are supposed to be, but not everything has to be based on something.
Holy ****.

I may question how balanced this is based on how easy it looks for him to wreck everyone (though I suppose that's what character trailers are for :p), but this.....is probably the most NATURAL I've seen in a Ridley mod.

Good job.
Thanks. He does looks broken if you'll just watch the trailer once, but he is not that hard to manage. He is just as fragile as Zero Mission Ridley.
Holy ****cakes is that up for download yet or did I just miss it? I've only been skimming the topic and saw that trailer.
He is not available yet.
I have 3 comments:

1. I'm not particularly fond of his running animation, in which he flies across the floor like Charizard/Mewtwo. For a large character to be quite agile on both ground and air seems problematic in my honest opinion. If you ever think the running animation needs to be changed, the only suggestion I have is for him to do a slow run on all fours, but not at all like your prior Ridley mod though! In Prime 3, Ridley occasionally ''runs'' after you in a sort of slow, ''pouncing'' way (hard to describe). The gif below is simply to show how a classic-based Ridley can still look natural on all fours.
I might have seen Omega Ridley run like this, but i'm not sure it will look good from side view. That animation on the gif certainly would work as a crawl (something Ridley has right now, but it just causes his animation to reset and nothing more unless i'll decide to give him animations). Either way, i wouldn't say he is agile on the ground just because of running speed. Bowser had surprisingly high running speed, but he never was agile.
The Side B. It seems awkward for him to grab with his arms first, and then having to move his grabbed opponent below him to be carried by his feet. In particular, the trailer shows him grabbing an opponent with his arm, moving the same opponent to his feet, and then moving the opponent BACK to his arms to shoot the point-blank fireballs... I suggest his Side B animation should be Ridley lunging himself, feet first, towards the enemy, in order for the following transition to the ''grab-successful'' animation to be seamless. The image below is a Seregios from Monster Hunter during a pose when it tries to grab players with its talons. This is more or less what Ridley should do during Side B prior to the move connecting with the enemy. Whether or not Ridley should be heading towards the enemy in a straight line, or at an angle from above would be the next question...
I originally wanted to have him use his feet for his Side B instead of right arm, but i couldn't make it look good at the beginning. Few scrapped animations later, i decided to make him use his right arm.
The screen-shaking effect caused by Ridley's walking animation. I think it's unnecessary, due to Ridley being quite a lightweight. I realize that your earlier, modern Ridley was also a lightweight, but I suppose Other M's bulky design made it seem more... fitting back then, especially with his running animation where he slammed his muscular arms against the floor.
Yeah, it does looks unnecessary now.
Everything else I saw in the trailer is wonderful. Congrats BaganSmashBros, for proving not once, but twice that Ridley was always a plausible candidate as a playable fighter. Watching your classic Ridley in action, and then looking at the gif below...
It's finally happening... what we were promised back in 2001.
Thanks. Now i wish everything will go well after that with other guys.
...about this part...that part of the intro was used for entry animation. Not exactly same (mirrored and he lands properly), but still. I wanted to show it in the trailer, but recordings of all replays didn't allow that for whatever reason (probably something about loading things).
Bagan, I love you, so SO severely. SO MUCH. I was not expecting to love this so much, I'm so happy. I have so many questions! Will you reuse Brawl Meta Ridley as a costume eventually? Or accessorise Brawl Ridley, the same way you did your Other M-ish design? Is this based on the previous skeleton, so you can use previous Ridley Costumes? Does it go over Pit again? I'm so happy, I love everything so much. ❤
Good to hear that. As for the questions,
  • Brawl Meta Ridley might be used at some point, but he will need a lot of changes to work.
  • Meta Ridley costume in same way as modern Ridley's costume can be done, but i'd rather have him be 100% Metroid Prime 1 Meta Ridley with different proportions.
  • He is based on Brawl Ridley skeleton with several changes done to make it easier to work with (like fixed wings, tongue and jaw), so, modern Ridley's costumes won't work on him.
  • He goes over Lucario, but i have extra FitX.pac file for PyotrLuzhin's Lucario port thing and this time, it doesn't uses same SFX as default mod (instead, it shares Wolf's soundbank like Roy and Mewtwo do with Marth and Lucario).

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I think that might be worth doing. It helps him look more intelligent, and in turn more deadly. He looks kinda hollow right now, which isn't Ridley's style.

KingJigglypuff

Smash Ace
..wait, was Meta Ridley here adapted to Ridley's skeleton here or it didn't go that far?
I had someone do the process of editing Meta Ridley to fit Ridley's skeleton, but they didn't get back to me on it.

Also, since I have an Elgato capture card, I can make videos in 1080p at 60 FPS, so if you want that kind of high quality footage, just let me know.

Yes, Soon™. And those recolors do look nice (especially black one). Not sure what some of them are supposed to be, but not everything has to be based on something.
This is what I had listed for what these recolors are based off of.

00: Default. Super Metroid/Brawl Ridley.
01: Red. Super Metroid box art Ridley.
02: Green. Zero Mission box art Ridley.
03: Blue. Metroid Fusion Neo Ridley.
04: Black. Xenomorph.
05: Pale. Kraid.
06: Pink. Other M.
07: Gold. Golden Chozo.
08: Brown. Mother Brain.
09: Meta Ridley (Alt).

Note that I didn't make the pink and gold recolors. Those were made by Taiko, if I recall correctly. He and a few other members of Smash 3 gave critique on these recolors in order for me to perfect them. Let me know if you want to use any of them, and I can send them over. Or I can make alternative cosmetics if I release my own pack.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I think that might be worth doing. It helps him look more intelligent, and in turn more deadly. He looks kinda hollow right now, which isn't Ridley's style.
True. But first, i'll need to get his animations done. Don't want to run out of space again and i don't think it will be a good thing this time.

I had someone do the process of editing Meta Ridley to fit Ridley's skeleton, but they didn't get back to me on it.
Aw...
Also, since I have an Elgato capture card, I can make videos in 1080p at 60 FPS, so if you want that kind of high quality footage, just let me know.
Will keep that in mind.
This is what I had listed for what these recolors are based off of. Note that I didn't make the pink and gold recolors. Those were made by Taiko, if I recall correctly. He and a few other members of Smash 3 gave critique on these recolors in order for me to perfect them. Let me know if you want to use any of them, and I can send them over. Or I can make alternative cosmetics if I release my own pack.
00: Default. Super Metroid/Brawl Ridley.
01: Red. Super Metroid box art Ridley.
02: Green. Zero Mission box art Ridley.
03: Blue. Metroid Fusion Neo Ridley.
04: Black. Xenomorph.
05: Pale. Kraid.
06: Pink. Other M.
07: Gold. Golden Chozo.
08: Brown. Mother Brain.
09: Meta Ridley (Alt).
It would be better to release your own pack then.

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
This new ridley looks sick as hell

though in my opinion, you should zoom out the BP a bit so it doesn't feel squashed

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Could I be of assistance? I do have experiemce in making a SM recolor (btw if the person who reported my MB skin is reading this, its reuploaded and redone, check it out on brawl vault!)
I was talking about render itself. Body and limbs are too bright compared to everything else, but that's not how it is in the game.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah, I can't help but think those Jigglypuff clips were included to throw a wrench into comments about him being "OP," heh.

One thing I can't tell as well from th video, are Ridley's wings folding up when he's idle or do they shrink when he's not using them?

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Awesome!
Really smart to have included that Rest clip, it shows well how fragile Ridley is.
Yeah, couldn't have shown how light he is otherwise.
Yeah, I can't help but think those Jigglypuff clips were included to throw a wrench into comments about him being "OP," heh.

One thing I can't tell as well from th video, are Ridley's wings folding up when he's idle or do they shrink when he's not using them?
That and because "lol, big scary dragon gets reckt by a balloon".

They are simply folded when not used. Wings always look much smaller that way and it's more natural than having them shrink.

IROX568

Smash Cadet
Here it is:
Looks amazing, my only problem with it his his head during his idle pose. I think it should be facing forward a bit more than to the side.

Also, any news on modern Ridley 2.2? Its been a while since we heard from that.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Here it is:
This was so beautiful, I almost shed tears at the shear savagery and brutality of his moveset. This is excellent.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Here it is:
I really hope you take a career in animations because this is almost professional level animations i'm seeing

2 things.

1.What is his size compared to his S.M size and Brawl size?
2.How does that mid air grab move work?

Top Bottom