• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I still have no idea what causes it. It's not happening consistently and there shouldn't be anything wrong with the coding.

Unrelated to stuff above, which textures should be used for default color of classic Ridley?
View attachment 105789View attachment 105790
Both are from Brawl (one from boss' files and one from the trophy), so, they both should fit among other characters.
I like the first picture more. It fits better with Brawl's desaturated textures IMO, and it makes him look more villainous with those subdued colors. Also, it's slightly more purpley than the second picture, which is another plus.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Speaking of aesthetic improvements to the Brawl model...which set of eyes looks better to you all? Images in spoilers due to size.

Set A (the default Brawl eyes);
Classic Ridley (Brawl Eyes).png

Or Set B, a custom vertex set by yours truly?
Classic Ridley (Vertexed Eyes).png

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Speaking of aesthetic improvements to the Brawl model...which set of eyes looks better to you all? Images in spoilers due to size.

Set A (the default Brawl eyes);

Or Set B, a custom vertex set by yours truly?
Brawl eyes makes him look Depry, Custom Set is the only way to go, unless you're in to Derpley, or Ridderp.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I don't have much time to do...well...anything, but i can at least show this:
00000000-166.png

I used Samus' SSB4 save point model as a base for the capsule and Brawl AT Metroid for THE BABY. Animation for Ridley isn't done and pose on the screenshot is last frame i finished, so, it looks weird, but it should look better in motion. This victory animation is basically same thing as modern Ridley's except with different animation.
There is not much else to say right now. I really need to finish something first before going back to this.

AndreaAC

I don't have much time to do...well...anything, but i can at least show this:
View attachment 108154
I used Samus' SSB4 save point model as a base for the capsule and Brawl AT Metroid for THE BABY. Animation for Ridley isn't done and pose on the screenshot is last frame i finished, so, it looks weird, but it should look better in motion. This victory animation is basically same thing as modern Ridley's except with different animation.
There is not much else to say right now. I really need to finish something first before going back to this.
metroid.jpg

Looking forward to see more progress in your work Bagan, and good luck with your other task.

AndreaAC

I just feel sorry for Zero Mission Ridley, considering that intense neck/leg injury.

I feel honoured to have a drawn response to my screenshot.
xD He has gotten much worse...like being blown up.

Haha, oh geez, it's nothing, really! I had to do it! the idea just popped in my head!

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
...thank god this is no longer present in classic Ridley. And i don't remember those recolors. Where did they come from?
I modified Al George's recolours for my personal build to fit Brawl's aesthetic. I love your model, even more than classic Ridley, but the textures don't fit the visual style of Brawl very much.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
While thinking about what to do with MF's animations, i did few things.
1. Now Ridley has correct placement on character selection screen. I might move him so he would be after Samus rather than before her. She is the main character after all.
00000000-168.png

2. Now Ridley has his own victory theme instead of pokemon victory theme. I'll either reuse victory theme from modern Ridley or use this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcrnhoevb4odb8g/Victory.wav?dl=0 Don't remember where i've got it. I can use Samus' victory theme of course, but it doesn't sounds fitting to me.

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Now Ridley has his own victory theme instead of pokemon victory theme. I'll either reuse victory theme from modern Ridley or use this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcrnhoevb4odb8g/Victory.wav?dl=0 Don't remember where i've got it. I can use Samus' victory theme of course, but it doesn't sounds fitting to me.
I personally prefer the victory theme used for Modern Ridley. The one in the link sounds too... upbeat? Not sure if that's the best way to describe it.

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
Hey so, exactly how much of Classic Ridley is done? Everything that's been shown of him recently looks really promising and it's good to see everything (maybe?) is working fine.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I personally prefer the victory theme used for Modern Ridley. The one in the link sounds too... upbeat? Not sure if that's the best way to describe it.
To be fair, all victory themes are supposed to be upbeat; celebrating victory doesn't sound as good with a dark theme. Even Modern Ridley's theme is technically upbeat, it's only the instrumentation that makes it sound more dark.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah, it does.
Hey so, exactly how much of Classic Ridley is done? Everything that's been shown of him recently looks really promising and it's good to see everything (maybe?) is working fine.
He is nearly 100% ready for serious matches. He lacks only slipping animations, swimming animations, victory animations, taunts and 100% ledge stuff. There are some things that don't work well right now (he still can crawl, but doing so crashes the game because there are no animations), but should be easy to fix. Not sure if he has any problems with items outside of having Lucario's animations.
Speaking of leftovers from Lucario...
00000000-169.png

He can wall jump and wall cling. Ridley could do that as adolescent Ridley, so, might as well leave it. Wall clinging with him seems to be very hard to do for some reason (probably because he is too big or i can't do it properly). I did that by accident before taking screenshots.

Wolley2xjd

Yeah, it does.

He is nearly 100% ready for serious matches. He lacks only slipping animations, swimming animations, victory animations, taunts and 100% ledge stuff. There are some things that don't work well right now (he still can crawl, but doing so crashes the game because there are no animations), but should be easy to fix. Not sure if he has any problems with items outside of having Lucario's animations.
Speaking of leftovers from Lucario...
View attachment 108570
He can wall jump and wall cling. Ridley could do that as adolescent Ridley, so, might as well leave it. Wall clinging with him seems to be very hard to do for some reason (probably because he is too big or i can't do it properly). I did that by accident before taking screenshots.
Do you have an idea for Taunts?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
All recolors are done now and one of the old recolors was replaced.
RSBE01-7.png

Zero Mission Ridley. Based off his sprites rather than his artwork.
RSBE01-5.png

Charizard Ridley...or at least it's supposed to be such. He is a lot brighter than needed.
RSBE01-3.png

And this is...well...it's from a very hard licensed famicom game that came out in 1987. There was a boss that looked a bit like Ridley except more like a pterosaur than xenomorph or dragon.
Of course, this isn't final because i'm not good at making recolors and might come back and fix few things here and there. At least it's not hard to do like with K. Rool.

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
I absolutely adore that famicom boss costume image. It makes it look like Ridley is pretending that Marth is a toy airplane. XD

kalvinwithak

Smash Apprentice
So is this being prioritized over K Rool? Not saying I mind, this looks mucho bueno. But still curious.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So is this being prioritized over K Rool? Not saying I mind, this looks mucho bueno. But still curious.
No. All of this is just stuff i'm doing whenever i need to relax. I've been doing this since 2015. I'll get back to K. Rool after fixing his rigging (i really don't like how i rigged him).
But at least it hilarious looking.
True.

...wait...i've got an idea...
RSBE01-4.png

Now i'm done.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I think it was Blue-Eyes White Dragon.
Hahaha, you nerd, that's awesome. I do see the similarities, particularly in the so many spikes design that the original model had before your lovely edits, haha.

I also noticed that a few of the palettes have more than just the primary and secondary colour switched, like the Charizard one has a different tum and eyes. I understand that it's mostly because of the source material, but will this be thing for the other palettes? You're very good at making different palettes, you get the basic palette swap rule, which some people tend to ignore.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I thought it was referencing the Ice Ridley from Nintendoland:
That too. But it wasn't first thing that came to mind when doing it or seeing SchAlternate's improved version.
Hahaha, you nerd, that's awesome. I do see the similarities, particularly in the so many spikes design that the original model had before your lovely edits, haha.

I also noticed that a few of the palettes have more than just the primary and secondary colour switched, like the Charizard one has a different tum and eyes. I understand that it's mostly because of the source material, but will this be thing for the other palettes? You're very good at making different palettes, you get the basic palette swap rule, which some people tend to ignore.
I'm just that good, ok?
...ok not really...

It might be done for other recolors. It depends on the recolor. If it's easy to understand what it's supposed to be with colors alone (like Ridley-X and NES Ridley), then i won't do it, but if it's not (like famicom boss), then i'll do more with it.
And thanks.

Last edited:

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
That too. But it wasn't first thing that came to mind when doing it or seeing SchAlternate's improved version.

I'm just that good, ok?
...ok not really...

It might be done for other recolors. It depends on the recolor. If it's easy to understand what it's supposed to be with colors alone (like Ridley-X and NES Ridley), then i won't do it, but if it's not (like famicom boss), then i'll do more with it.
And thanks.
I know that you are probably tired of hearing this question, but how near completion is Classic Ridley? I'm just really excited for him as he looks beautiful!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I know that you are probably tired of hearing this question, but how near completion is Classic Ridley? I'm just really excited for him as he looks beautiful!
Finished for serious matches outside of having no taunts and only one victory animation. Everything else *like items and swimming animations) wasn't even started.

Wolley2xjd

Finished for serious matches outside of having no taunts and only one victory animation. Everything else *like items and swimming animations) wasn't even started.
Do you need any testing for him, because I'm not doing anything right now.

Top Bottom