• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
This thread has been dead lately, so, while working on K. Rool and co., i was thinking of what i'll do with classic Ridley. Kinda early and im not going to start properly working on him until main mod's v2.2 is finished, but i want to have things prepared now.
Anyway, i've been thinking of something - why limit myself with Brawl model? Its incompatible with Slope Countour Stand code (code that keeps characters' feet on the ground depending on stage's collisions, but it requires FootN and ToeN bones to work and while Brawl Ridley has toe bones, there are 4 of them and they have different names), its tail doesn't looks good when stretching and its harder to control when rotating, there are too many bones and few other things. So, why not leave it as alt model and then make a custom model? Because of this, i tried working in Blender and ZBrush...but those are very confusing and camera in ZBrush is s**t. Tutorials didn't help. Unless i'll somehow git gud at ZBrush, i'll try to use Brawlbox and already existing models. Obviously, i won't be able to do it by myself because those already existing models will still have their own textures and even if i would be able to change that, i can't make textures.

TLDR: Brawl model is uncomfortable to use, so, i want to make custom model, but can't Blender or ZBrush and can't make textures, but i can edit already existing models and get Frankedley as a result (and i'll show what i mean by that soon). Halp.

EDIT: this is what im talking about:
ScreenCapture161.png

This tail was made from Link's arrow and metal parts of his bow. Its based off Ridley-X's tail. Blue thing between each segment of the tail is supposed to be material connecting them (it shouldn't be transparent, but this is just random texture i used). It should be the only part of his tail that bends without moving whole thing. Because of this, it would look more natural/realistic when his tail stretches:
ScreenCapture162.png

Thats how it was in Metroid games (exactly like this in Other M and without anything between each segment in 2d games).

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I have always supported an alt model and I'm glad to see you've changed your mind. :)
I meant alt model for classic mod and not necessarily main mod.

ScreenCapture164.png

This is the only part of Other M Ridley i'll use. Has 3 fingers because thats how it is on ZM and Fusion Ridley and Brawl Ridley is already using SM design. Finger bones's names are set up to allow me to add extra finger without it looking weird. Left them bulky because its easier to scale Ridley down with thicker limbs. Obviously would need to get new textures to look less like Frankenstein's monster and more like proper model.

sparkywaffles

Smash Rookie
Since this is going to be a separate mod, how will Classic Ridley be different from the main mod? Do you plan on trying to port moves over from main to classic (with modifications, of course) or make new moves for it?

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
I'm having a bit of trouble installing the new recolors from the OP. How can one actually install them?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Since this is going to be a separate mod, how will Classic Ridley be different from the main mod? Do you plan on trying to port moves over from main to classic (with modifications, of course) or make new moves for it?
He will be similar, but not just same moves with different range and animation.
I'm having a bit of trouble installing the new recolors from the OP. How can one actually install them?
Rename recolors you're going to use as FitPit0X (with X being number of recolor) and replace what is already in Pit's folder on your SD card.

Najxos

Smash Rookie
So I have no idea how to combine mods together, how would put Ridley in the project m legacy mod? Do I need to edit the rct file?

Najxos

Smash Rookie
On a separate note what's the situation on the clone engine so I don't have to replace characters with mod character e.g. pit for ridley

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
when ridley goes into the blast zones on bowsers castle, the stage flickers at least for me

zombifiedsquid

Smash Rookie
NNID
zombifiedsquid
3DS FC
1091-8722-2904
Is there a way I can add Ridley to my game without replacing any existing characters? If so would one of you be willing to point me in the right direction?

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
Is there a way I can add Ridley to my game without replacing any existing characters? If so would one of you be willing to point me in the right direction?
Well, there's a BrawlEx port but it is very outdated and nobody with the know how has bothered making a new one.

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
after spending 8 hours with him. it gives me the right to give judge him, right?
  • ridleys forward smash needs a buff in range, or speed, its just like a worse version of bowsers, more startup less knockback and less damage.
  • ridleys back air is sooo slow and i think it needs something
  • ridleys side-b is too good, on the ground its like ganondorfs but it does more damage, off stage its basically an insta-kill on anyone but what makes it unfair is how much control you have over it and its not like a sacrificial k.o like ganondorfs
  • i can rarely finish his jab combo, ever
  • i wish there were more combo potential with him other than fair fair fair or uair uair uair
  • the tipper effect is very difficult to land on his down smash and back air
  • i sometimes meteor smash people with his up smash, i cant explain this
almost all of these could be wrong because im an idiot. if someone can prove me wrong. cool

Last edited:

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
Ridley takes some time to get used to. But once you are familiar with him that tipper can kill people really fast. Also, if Fsmash gets a buff, it will become OP again like it was in the 1.0-1.9 versions.

In other news, I've managed to get Ridley 2.1 (and 2.2 beta) to work in Brawl through BrawlEx... kinda. Side B crashes the game just like I thought it would. This is because the rel file is outdated in the current BrawlEx port. If I could find any kind of way to update that rel file then Ridley would be another step closer to getting in Brawl. Also, if I had a file that put Ridley's sounds in Meta/Ridley's soundbank I could fix the sound problem.

Edit: Wow, there was a lot more missing from the BrawlEx port than I thought. No CSPs, BPs, Names, or CCSPs.

Edit 2: Okay, got the soundbank from 2 pages back. Anybody know the code that will make Ridley use it instead of Pit's soundbank?

Last Edit: Curses with the PM Ridley over Meta Ridley sounds I get nothing but silence. Still no luck with the rel file and images are a pain in the neck to deal with. I do have Ridley 2.2b working though. Wondering if I should continue trying. Will this be worth it?

Last Edit for Real: Well, all of my attempts have been fruitless. I thought I managed to port Ridley 2.2b's rel file and edit it correctly but after pressing start the game crashes (I currently use random stage selection to bypass the SSS crash so it's not that). I'm sure there is somebody much more qualified than me to do this. So for now, I'm sticking with a silent Ridley that crashes the game when I use sideB.

Last edited:

Kazooie56

Smash Apprentice
if i hit ridley as soon as he grabs me i get stuck under his feet for a bit. and he gets cheered on by satan

shikamaru12

Smash Apprentice
Edit 2: Okay, got the soundbank from 2 pages back. Anybody know the code that will make Ridley use it instead of Pit's soundbank?
You can't use the soundbank without editing FitPit.pac (or whatever the name of your Ridley moveset file is) to make all of his sounds have the value of Meta Ridley's. It's a pain.

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
You can't use the soundbank without editing FitPit.pac (or whatever the name of your Ridley moveset file is) to make all of his sounds have the value of Meta Ridley's. It's a pain.
I figured it wouldn't be that simple. I also have good news. The crash wasn't caused by the rel file, at least I don't think it was. Somehow as I was moving and editing files, I managed to screw up Ridley's BrawlEx config files. It's really easy to mess up with this kind of stuff. Tons of windows and stuff are open at once and it's easy to mix things up. I won't do sounds yet but I will try to get cosmetics working since they weren't included in the BrawlEx port. I'll see what I can do. Hopefully things work out (but I doubt they will).

shikamaru12

Smash Apprentice
I figured it wouldn't be that simple. I also have good news. The crash wasn't caused by the rel file, at least I don't think it was. Somehow as I was moving and editing files, I managed to screw up Ridley's BrawlEx config files. It's really easy to mess up with this kind of stuff. Tons of windows and stuff are open at once and it's easy to mix things up. I won't do sounds yet but I will try to get cosmetics working since they weren't included in the BrawlEx port. I'll see what I can do. Hopefully things work out (but I doubt they will).
If you end up fixing his moveset file to use the Meta Ridley soundbank, send it my way.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Ok, I'm trying to put Ridley into my PM files manually, bit by bit. Because I'm using other kind of mods too.

This code that shows Ridley's name and Metroid icon at the result screen. Where do I put it in the GCT?
Tried placing it at the bottom of the code, didn't do anything.

Also I can't find the files used for the small mugshot in character selection.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
This thread has been dead lately, so, while working on K. Rool and co., i was thinking of what i'll do with classic Ridley. Kinda early and im not going to start properly working on him until main mod's v2.2 is finished, but i want to have things prepared now.
Anyway, i've been thinking of something - why limit myself with Brawl model? Its incompatible with Slope Countour Stand code (code that keeps characters' feet on the ground depending on stage's collisions, but it requires FootN and ToeN bones to work and while Brawl Ridley has toe bones, there are 4 of them and they have different names), its tail doesn't looks good when stretching and its harder to control when rotating, there are too many bones and few other things. So, why not leave it as alt model and then make a custom model? Because of this, i tried working in Blender and ZBrush...but those are very confusing and camera in ZBrush is s**t. Tutorials didn't help. Unless i'll somehow git gud at ZBrush, i'll try to use Brawlbox and already existing models. Obviously, i won't be able to do it by myself because those already existing models will still have their own textures and even if i would be able to change that, i can't make textures.

TLDR: Brawl model is uncomfortable to use, so, i want to make custom model, but can't Blender or ZBrush and can't make textures, but i can edit already existing models and get Frankedley as a result (and i'll show what i mean by that soon). Halp.

EDIT: this is what im talking about:
View attachment 89657
This tail was made from Link's arrow and metal parts of his bow. Its based off Ridley-X's tail. Blue thing between each segment of the tail is supposed to be material connecting them (it shouldn't be transparent, but this is just random texture i used). It should be the only part of his tail that bends without moving whole thing. Because of this, it would look more natural/realistic when his tail stretches:
View attachment 89658
Thats how it was in Metroid games (exactly like this in Other M and without anything between each segment in 2d games).
So what parts will "Frankedley" will have?
Will it just be based on Ridley-X and Zero Missionley because what you shown that seem's to be the case.

JessterKw

Smash Rookie
Hello, I am totally new to hacking but I have managed to succesfully install project m as well as your Ridley mod. First off let me say it is amazing and everything Sakurai should have made. But I've been having an issue...Im sorry if this has already been addressed and I dont know i I'm just an idiot, but I have downloaded and installed the newest (2.1) version of Ridley on the download page. I followed the instructions to the letter. He runs fine on project M...but for some reason, I cant get his side B to work. Like, he does it, but he literally goes right through the enemy without doing any damage. Everything else works fine. I dont know what I've done wrong. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
Hello, I am totally new to hacking but I have managed to succesfully install project m as well as your Ridley mod. First off let me say it is amazing and everything Sakurai should have made. But I've been having an issue...Im sorry if this has already been addressed and I dont know i I'm just an idiot, but I have downloaded and installed the newest (2.1) version of Ridley on the download page. I followed the instructions to the letter. He runs fine on project M...but for some reason, I cant get his side B to work. Like, he does it, but he literally goes right through the enemy without doing any damage. Everything else works fine. I dont know what I've done wrong. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Put the ft_pit.rel from the download in the Module folder

GerbilCrab475

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GerbilCrab
3DS FC
1246-8834-9360
That's true, but there are issues with 2.2beta. An example would be how Ridley can't move in water until he starts drowning.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So I have no idea how to combine mods together, how would put Ridley in the project m legacy mod? Do I need to edit the rct file?
Yes. Pit will still have to go, but he should work here. Just add codes from .txt file into .gct file, then his pit and kirby folders into projectm/pf/fighter.
after spending 8 hours with him. it gives me the right to give judge him, right?
  • ridleys forward smash needs a buff in range, or speed, its just like a worse version of bowsers, more startup less knockback and less damage.
  • ridleys back air is sooo slow and i think it needs something
  • ridleys side-b is too good, on the ground its like ganondorfs but it does more damage, off stage its basically an insta-kill on anyone but what makes it unfair is how much control you have over it and its not like a sacrificial k.o like ganondorfs
  • i can rarely finish his jab combo, ever
  • i wish there were more combo potential with him other than fair fair fair or uair uair uair
  • the tipper effect is very difficult to land on his down smash and back air
  • i sometimes meteor smash people with his up smash, i cant explain this
almost all of these could be wrong because im an idiot. if someone can prove me wrong. cool
Yes.
  • Bowser's FSmash has longer end lag and he moves while Ridley stays in place and his tail extends. It also doesn't clashes with other hitboxes and since his tail lacks hitboxes, Ridley will hit opponent first. Its better in some areas and doesn't needs buffs.
  • Really? Doesn't looks so slow to me.
  • Its easier to dodge than Ganondorf's (hitbox disappears few frames after it appears and he moves forward quickly, so, simple spot dodge would work) and has longer start up and end lag. In the air, you can meteor cancel it and unless you are someone like Bowser or DK, you should survive.
  • I can do it often enough, but yeah, it needs to be fixed. Timing on it is far more strict than on other jabs.
  • There are other combos. Im not talking about things like DAir DAir DAir of course. Can't list them all right now though.
  • Its hard to land it on DSmash, but its not that bad on BAir and sourspot has its uses here.
  • Never had this happen. There are no hitboxes that have such launch angle.

if i hit ridley as soon as he grabs me i get stuck under his feet for a bit. and he gets cheered on by satan
Yeah, i know about it and still don't know how to fix it without using super armor or making him invincible.
And those are Space Pirates from Metroid Prime.
Ok, I'm trying to put Ridley into my PM files manually, bit by bit. Because I'm using other kind of mods too.

This code that shows Ridley's name and Metroid icon at the result screen. Where do I put it in the GCT?
Tried placing it at the bottom of the code, didn't do anything.

Also I can't find the files used for the small mugshot in character selection.
Small mugshots are for Battle Portraits (BPs). Use InfFace22X files from projectm>pf>info>portrite.
So what parts will "Frankedley" will have?
Will it just be based on Ridley-X and Zero Missionley because what you shown that seem's to be the case.
Ridley from GBA games with few bits from other designs. Other versions already have a model, so, why not give those 2 some love?
That's true, but there are issues with 2.2beta. An example would be how Ridley can't move in water until he starts drowning.
Still don't get it why it happens.

Jakesnakegzilla

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jakesnakegzilla
Is it possible to do this without WinRar? Like, just have the mod in a .zip file and place the files over Pit's?
[/QUOTE]

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
No, you need to unzip the file for the mod to work; Brawl doesn't read .zip files

EDIT: Also, I predict our next update might finally be the update that ends the fact of us needing to replace Pit! Pyotr and his merry band have managed to make PM and BEX compatible with each other (posthumously, sadly).

We'll need to work to give him proper cosmetics for everything, but it's something, at least.

Last edited:

IROX568

Smash Cadet
EDIT: Also, I predict our next update might finally be the update that ends the fact of us needing to replace Pit! Pyotr and his merry band have managed to make PM and BEX compatible with each other (posthumously, sadly).

We'll need to work to give him proper cosmetics for everything, but it's something, at least.
REALLY!? Can't wait for that.

But if it really happens, how different would it be to install this version of the mod as opposed to the current or previous versions?

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
REALLY!? Can't wait for that.

But if it really happens, how different would it be to install this version of the mod as opposed to the current or previous versions?
I'm certain it will be "Ridley for BrawlEx" as one download and the other will be "Ridley over Pit"

Jakesnakegzilla

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jakesnakegzilla
No, you need to unzip the file for the mod to work; Brawl doesn't read .zip files

Yes but I could extract the files to a SD card from a .zip file, like Project M installation. I just don't wanna install or use WinRar

I download the file and it is automatically a WinRar file. I want the file as a .zip file so I can extract the files off of it to the SD card.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Say, I just remembered, a while ago you were working on a Meta Ridley, what happened to it?
It's still around, I think (the model itself is, as is my skin for it), but it's taken a backseat like the mod itself; I'm currently in the last round of high school, which currently has priority over the mod for me; want to make sure I pass all my courses, after all!

But yeah, I still have the files around; may dump them up on Brawl Vault at some point soon-ish (within the week, maybe? I already have a BV account...)

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
It's still around, I think (the model itself is, as is my skin for it), but it's taken a backseat like the mod itself; I'm currently in the last round of high school, which currently has priority over the mod for me; want to make sure I pass all my courses, after all!

But yeah, I still have the files around; may dump them up on Brawl Vault at some point soon-ish (within the week, maybe? I already have a BV account...)
Oh, cool, I was worried it wasn't working or something.

...Want to go out to Prom? :D

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Is it possible to do this without WinRar? Like, just have the mod in a .zip file and place the files over Pit's?
[/QUOTE]
Yes, but someone will have to reupload it as .zip file. That certainly won't be me.
Didn't i make those for pretty much everything?
Say, I just remembered, a while ago you were working on a Meta Ridley, what happened to it?
Decided to put it away until BrawlBox fixes that one bug so i can properly re-rig it. Until then, half of Ridley's body and his right arm are paralyzed when he hold any item. Reskins of this model will have same issue.

Top Bottom