• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Ok don't worry to those who can't figure this out. It took me some time yesterday so I decided to do a quick tutorial on how to get this. It'll be uploaded in like 10 m

@Bagan please put it in the op when I link it so people can stop asking questions on the thread

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
I'm making some progress, apparently. I can see his art, but I still come in as Pit. I've deleted all of Pit's original data except for FitPit.pac. I've imported Ridley's file to only that folder

ggmonx

Smash Cadet
Firebrand skin freezing game after reselection in team battle. Pls help

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Also, I too am having trouble performing a horizontal fireball in the air ever since the hotfix. You mentioned it still works...can you elaborate? I use to just be able to press B in the air but now he just puts his hand over his mouth like he's going to do it, but then the animation sorta resets and nothing happens.
his downsmash also doesn't have a hitbox behind him.
I've had both of these problems after I put the last fix, the DownSmash being the most problematic change. I'll temporarily use the original files of the first mod release to get around these problems, at least until a future fix solves these.

TheBirdSolution

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheBirdSolution
OK. So I'mma be that guy. Anybody got this running on Dolphin yet? I got him in the game fine enough, but the ISO builder screws it up, so it crashes after you select a stage :S

Ridley22

Smash Ace
Overall I think the mod is incredible and it's real proof that Ridley can work. I just have a few issues:
-Down taunt is wayyyyy too loud
-The start of his dash is really weird. It seemingly prevents you from pivoting. This prevents dash dancing and reverse aerial rushes. Instead he does this moonwalkesque thing.
-His roll is a bit ridiculous. Backward roll goes across half of battlefield and the forward roll goes even further. Both are pretty darn fast.
-His glide is also a little too fast.
-Finally, and most importantly. (Idk if it's a bug on my end or what) Downsmash oddly doesn't have a hitbox on the back

Those are the main problems I see, without going into balance tweaks and stuff like that. Sorry if they've been said a lot. Still an amazing mod, though.

EDIT: There also it seems you can do a movement that looks similar to a wave dash because of the little boost from the b-air. You need to be near the edge of a platform, fall through, and instantly do a b-air.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So for ****s and giggles, I put a lv. 9 CPU Ridley in a FFA match against 3 lv 9 CPUs: Marth, Zelda, and Wolf on Dracula's Castle. When I first saw how badly his AI did against the others, I was expecting him to lose...

...only for him to somehow turn things around and win the match with a luckily timed side-B against Marth. Needless to say, I'm pleased to see how capable Ridley's AI can be against opponents.

Last edited:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
The Ridley AI is absolutely stupid (I think it still uses Pit's AI) but sometimes it has its moments, lol... it seems to know when to use the pogo stick at least.

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
Someone have a Download for a Annoucer Call for Ridley I have been looking everywhere I hate when the Annoucer calls Pit :(

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So I did everything as I was supposed to, but when I launched Project M and pressed Play, the game just crashed.

Anyone have an idea of what I should do?

EDIT: I just did it again, and I got this screen:
image.jpg

Last edited:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
I can't help but I want to emphasize that the mod works perfectly for me and that I can tell you about it as much as you want. :o)

edit: omg I just had the dankest match ever

edit²: I'd kill myself in an INSTANT if I couldn't play this mod

edit³: omg YOU'RE MISSING OUT

Last edited:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
I'm lost...I'm hopeless...I don't understand jack ****, and I'm on the verge of giving up... :(

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Played with Ridley for as many matches as I could before ledge attack made the game crash (for whatever reason, it was working fine, previously).

It feels great. Everything feels great. The animations are a little stiff, but you're one guy and he still looks incredible. I've got just a few notes...

- Pogo Tail is too OP, I would say dial the knockback back some and have it not last quite as long to give people using it off-stage a little leeway. That or just make it harder to hit with, it seems to hit every time I intend it to and that shouldn't be the case if you suck as bad as I do.

- fSmash is clunky, but I actually like it that way. It's a far more reliable attack if you charge it first, since you get to pick when it comes out that way.

- Gliding feels amazing with how fast it is and how fluid it looks. I would almost suggest making Ridley slower on the ground to encourage people to chase with the glide.

- uSpecial is really easy to kill yourself with if you're not used to how it works.

- The "secret" dTaunt is way too loud. I get that it's funny (and it is, don't get me wrong), but it's like...CRAZY loud. It can still be louder than everything else without being distracting.

- Maybe turn down the SFX on some of Ridley's victory animations so that you can hear his music better. I'd also suggest lengthening the Metroid capsule one, if possible.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The outermost hitbox on his upsmash sends opponents very far in the other direction instead of linking into the second hit, his downsmash also doesn't have a hitbox behind him.
I noticed that. I'll try to fix that. I already know about Down Smash. Its missing because i increased its speed a bit and this resulted in hitbox appearing after his tail goes out of reach.
I decided to test Ridley in some other modes to see if he'd crash the game, Boss Battles, Home run contest, ETC. When I used him in Subspace Emissary in PM 3.5 and he tries to go up or down a latter it crashes the game, this is the only problem I've noticed so far.
He also has very outdated stats there. He crashes the game because he is missing animations for that. Same should happen when using trophy stand.
My bad; meant to say should I delete anything inside of Pit's fighter folder?

About the final step; when you say "Import folders Info, Menu, Sound and SFX into projectm\pf", you mean move them in there? I just feel like I need to double check so I can get it right the first try.

And with the Smash Crusade announcer voices: what is "sawnds?" How will I know which announcer voice is Ridley's, and where to properly import it?
Yes, so they would be merged with folders already installed there.

...Ok, i'll make a file for that by myself then. Here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjm4an353o7gi57/223.sawnd?dl=0
Which Cbliss is used for project m?
If you downloaded that .gct file i uploaded, you don't have to do that.
I mean infinite flight is dumb of course, but should you really be nerfing it based off of no blastzone mode? Peach can infinite fall will umbrella. That being said I don't think it's a bad idea to nerf it a little in fact you probably should. I just think that is a weird reason to nerf it.

Also when the announce goes "choose your character" and you click Ridley he says "pit". Am I missing a file or has that not been made yet?
I used that to test just how good it is as horizontal recovery. Any other glide would fail to do that. I counted those kind of blast zones more as just distance and he can be fine after going through 15 Norfair...s.
Good luck with helping all these guys out BSB, lol
Yeah, i'll definitely will need it...i should have made a better tutorial.
So... no one has ANY problems with the shaders?
cause I do, looks awful on stages that aren't FD
Ridley changing colors :p
Code:
<spoiler>
[IMG]http://postimg.org/image/ovvxmr56h/[/IMG]
[IMG]http://postimg.org/image/r4vm9do3x/[/IMG]
[IMG]http://postimg.org/image/9p61lfej1/[/IMG]
[IMG]http://postimg.org/image/bxfmp0w99/[/IMG]
Thats something about the shaders used and it has been noticed by at least 2 more.
How did Bagan edit the moveset?
BrawlBox v0.68b for coding, BrawlBox v0.73 for animations and GFX.
Im gonna watch this thread now. I have open rimlighting spots if you wish for me to rimlight your model.
Thats a good idea. Not sure how it will look like considering how much gloss he has already, but it won't hurt to at least try.
I apologize for my scattered thought process, I have a bit of cold making it difficult to layout my opinions unsegmented due to medication slightly clouding my mind. Regardless, here are some of my initial thoughts:

Man, fighting a competent Snake is practically impossible with Ridley without camping the edge (but that was not unexpected, I suppose). Speaking of which, I'm really not fond of the movement options the up special has while hanging off the ledge, it is reminiscent of the 'woop woop' stall of 3.02 Mewtwo, with trickier motion. Granted, you lose ledge invincibility after 5 grabs now, but it is still a regrettable feature in my opinion.

Trying this mod out with friends this morning has led to a bit controversy over the pogo tail down air. My more skilled friends admittedly found it mildly annoying - but avoidable - except when used after a grounded side special leading to an early off stage death, although that may just happen anyway due to how strong the side special is, but the causal Smash players couldn't escape out of it (and loved spamming it along with the aerial down special). It seems the amount of recoil given to a successful or blocked hit makes it overly useful; maybe reducing the gained elevation afterwards would prevent further set-ups for the attack? Also, the ability to attack so effectively through platforms and even the stage itself (especially near edges) is a bit much.

I'm also in congruence with BLACKSasquatch; reducing aerial mobility just a bit might be something to experiment upon. Currently Ridley can move about very much like Puff, easily gimping characters like Fox, Falco, Bowser, Falcon, Ness, Ganon, Olimar... basically anyone with poor/tether only recoveries once off-stage.

In terms of aesthetics, I've noticed Ridley's shadow is a generic circular blob. Is that planned to change eventually? On a similar note of presentation, the down taunt scream is just too loud. I've seen your posts justifying it in other threads, and I understand your reasoning, but it just doesn't work. It seems out of place and demonstrates poor sound design when compared to the rest of the P:M environment. This is also a very minor issue, but when teetering over an edge, Ridley's animation looks a bit rushed. Maybe add a few frames to slow it down and add a bit of a flow to an otherwise abrupt looping point?

Anyway, despite my complaints (others have voiced much of what I would said myself, and you seem to be working on multiple fixes as we speak) I do have a positive outlook on the character for future patches. With that in mind, I know you mentioned releasing the desaturated textures sometime today - does that include the despiked model as well or is that not ready for release as of yet?
That was something i did not expected to happen. I saw just how awful it is in the stream, but i didn't know it can go beyond reverse ledge grab.

It won't help much since opponent will still bounce up on the first hit. Increasing end lag on successful hit probably would. I don't know how to avoid it clipping through platforms without it looking just plain unnatural or resulting in him suddenly teleporting down where his tail was.

I'll try to reduce it a bit so it won't be higher than Jigglypuff's (but still close) and we'll see what happens.

That is because i can't make new shadow models and using already existing shadow models will result in them looking horribly stretched, with right half posed improperly and overall just too different from Ridley.
Ok, i'll try to reduce volume a bit on this thing. I'll still keep it loud so it would be like roars in earlier versions before they were reduced in volume.
Yeah, it was. I honestly didn't know what to do for this one.

I haven't properly set up new materials for it yet.
This. So much this. I know Ridley is a dragon so his air mobility has to be fantastic (logically), but it's a little too good. It also just feels off, as Ridley is at best a middle weight, so his ability to zigzag in the air like Jiggs does is very distracting. I think it's okay for him to be a floaty, but to the extent as Jigglypuff.

Also, I'm questioning the addition of the glide. Ridley can already recover really well with his multiple jumps and his up-B (albeit if it's a little tricky) and with good enough DI, you can survived a strong hit and glide back to safety to boot. Seems a little much. Also, I'd personally consider changing the up-B to something more original than just Firebrand's Bon Voyage, but as is I'm okay with it. Doesn't seem game-breaking.

As far as technical difficulties go, the Firebrand alt makes the Results Screen go black and just freeze my game entirely, even though I added the RSBE01 on the OP.

Other than that, I am very much looking forward to future updates to this mod. It has great promise and I have a lot of fun with it. Overall, aside from the above gripes, I think it's fairly balanced and with time and your dedication I'm certain Ridley can only get better from here on out.
It actually is higher than Jigglypuff's.

I was just not sure what to do with his aerial side B since it didn't grabbed ledges at all. It was added more as a movement option than recovery.
I don't know what else could be used for it and thats Demon Missile (strong/hard version), not Bon Voyage since that one was a command grab while Demon Missile was this kind of swoop, but better.

You should have imported Menu folder into projectm\pf for it to work. It will fix issues with missing CSPs on result screen, which result in game crashing.

Here you guys go, video tutorial on how to add Ridley to PM
@ BaganSmashBros BaganSmashBros feel free to put this in the OP
YES! YES! YES!
OK. So I'mma be that guy. Anybody got this running on Dolphin yet? I got him in the game fine enough, but the ISO builder screws it up, so it crashes after you select a stage :S
I use it on Dolphin both with ISO Builder (when actually playing as him) and a faster way through virtual SD card (for testing), but this one is only for a inferiour version of Dolphin that has audio issues and overall slower emulation speed.
Anyone get ridley to work in team battle?
I did. Blue team. With Smash Balls and few other items on. Resulted in teammate getting KOed by Ridley's Final Smash. Friendly fire wasn't turned on.
Overall I think the mod is incredible and it's real proof that Ridley can work. I just have a few issues:
-Down taunt is wayyyyy too loud
-The start of his dash is really weird. It seemingly prevents you from pivoting. This prevents dash dancing and reverse aerial rushes. Instead he does this moonwalkesque thing.
-His roll is a bit ridiculous. Backward roll goes across half of battlefield and the forward roll goes even further. Both are pretty darn fast.
-His glide is also a little too fast.
-Finally, and most importantly. (Idk if it's a bug on my end or what) Downsmash oddly doesn't have a hitbox on the back

Those are the main problems I see, without going into balance tweaks and stuff like that. Sorry if they've been said a lot. Still an amazing mod, though.

EDIT: There also it seems you can do a movement that looks similar to a wave dash because of the little boost from the b-air. You need to be near the edge of a platform, fall through, and instantly do a b-air.
All of that was pointed out already. Will be fixed. Not sure what prevents dash dancing - i didn't changed it much.
So for ****s and giggles, I put a lv. 9 CPU Ridley in a FFA match against 3 lv 9 CPUs: Marth, Zelda, and Wolf on Dracula's Castle. When I first saw how badly his AI did against the others, I was expecting him to lose...

...only for him to somehow turn things around and win the match with a luckily timed side-B against Marth. Needless to say, I'm pleased to see how capable Ridley's AI can be against opponents.
He just got lucky. It is a lot better in 1v1 though. Mostly because he likes to jump over opponent and go Ridley on them. AI really needs improvement.

Yeah, i didn't expected that much issues with installing files...

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
BaganSmashBros[/URL said:
]Thats a good idea. Not sure how it will look like considering how much gloss he has already, but it won't hurt to at least try.
I can give it the smash 3 styled rimlight, the one that just boost texture quality and not the model quality.

So I download the model, edit it a bit and send it to you via PM so you can see.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So I did everything as I was supposed to, but when I launched Project M and pressed Play, the game just crashed.

Anyone have an idea of what I should do?

EDIT: I just did it again, and I got this screen:
View attachment 38281
...well, thats just horrible. Must be something on your end.
Played with Ridley for as many matches as I could before ledge attack made the game crash (for whatever reason, it was working fine, previously).

It feels great. Everything feels great. The animations are a little stiff, but you're one guy and he still looks incredible. I've got just a few notes...

- Pogo Tail is too OP, I would say dial the knockback back some and have it not last quite as long to give people using it off-stage a little leeway. That or just make it harder to hit with, it seems to hit every time I intend it to and that shouldn't be the case if you suck as bad as I do.

- fSmash is clunky, but I actually like it that way. It's a far more reliable attack if you charge it first, since you get to pick when it comes out that way.

- Gliding feels amazing with how fast it is and how fluid it looks. I would almost suggest making Ridley slower on the ground to encourage people to chase with the glide.

- uSpecial is really easy to kill yourself with if you're not used to how it works.

- The "secret" dTaunt is way too loud. I get that it's funny (and it is, don't get me wrong), but it's like...CRAZY loud. It can still be louder than everything else without being distracting.

- Maybe turn down the SFX on some of Ridley's victory animations so that you can hear his music better. I'd also suggest lengthening the Metroid capsule one, if possible.
-Im working on it.

-But its too good and too fast for proper chases.

-Working on it.
-I'll do it opposite way (by making music louder). That could be done.
I can give it the smash 3 styled rimlight, the one that just boost texture quality and not the model quality.

So I download the model, edit it a bit and send it to you via PM so you can see.
Then ok. Im looking forward to it.

Puppyfaic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Puppyluvv
Any chance Ridley is ever going to be his own character, and not be over Pit? He plays really well and acts like a natural addition to PM. I love it, but I wish we didn't have to sacrifice Pit to do it.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
He also has very outdated stats there. He crashes the game because he is missing animations for that. Same should happen when using trophy stand.
Yeah, I noticed that too, and his damage output on the bosses in Boss Battle, I knew the reason of why it crashed because I immediately checked BrawlBox to see if he had some animations missing. Are you going to give Ridley his latter climbing and latter descent animations & fix Ridley's stats in Boss Battle and Subspace Emissary soon?

Kpup

Smash Rookie
I can't find the download link to the common5 pack and the RSBE01 in the OP

latinking

Smash Apprentice
I've actually been having a hard time hitting people with the pogo tail. My friend plays Marth and Falco, and its hard enough as it currently is, due to the somewhat small hitbox of the attack and my friend being quite good at tech recovery/rolling/dodging. I can only imagine how MUCH harder it can be to hit opponents who know how to properly wavedash and all...

I've been able to get a few hits with the pogo tail here and there, so I definitely don't find it overpowered or useless right now.

Last edited:
I noticed that. I'll try to fix that. I already know about Down Smash. Its missing because i increased its speed a bit and this resulted in hitbox appearing after his tail goes out of reach.

Yes, so they would be merged with folders already installed there.

...Ok, i'll make a file for that by myself then. Here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjm4an353o7gi57/223.sawnd?dl=0

If you downloaded that .gct file i uploaded, you don't have to do that.

I used that to test just how good it is as horizontal recovery. Any other glide would fail to do that. I counted those kind of blast zones more as just distance and he can be fine after going through 15 Norfair...s.

Yeah, i'll definitely will need it...i should have made a better tutorial.

Thats something about the shaders used and it has been noticed by at least 2 more.

BrawlBox v0.68b for coding, BrawlBox v0.73 for animations and GFX.

Thats a good idea. Not sure how it will look like considering how much gloss he has already, but it won't hurt to at least try.

That was something i did not expected to happen. I saw just how awful it is in the stream, but i didn't know it can go beyond reverse ledge grab.

It won't help much since opponent will still bounce up on the first hit. Increasing end lag on successful hit probably would. I don't know how to avoid it clipping through platforms without it looking just plain unnatural or resulting in him suddenly teleporting down where his tail was.

I'll try to reduce it a bit so it won't be higher than Jigglypuff's (but still close) and we'll see what happens.

That is because i can't make new shadow models and using already existing shadow models will result in them looking horribly stretched, with right half posed improperly and overall just too different from Ridley.
Ok, i'll try to reduce volume a bit on this thing. I'll still keep it loud so it would be like roars in earlier versions before they were reduced in volume.
Yeah, it was. I honestly didn't know what to do for this one.

I haven't properly set up new materials for it yet.

It actually is higher than Jigglypuff's.

I was just not sure what to do with his aerial side B since it didn't grabbed ledges at all. It was added more as a movement option than recovery.
I don't know what else could be used for it and thats Demon Missile (strong/hard version), not Bon Voyage since that one was a command grab while Demon Missile was this kind of swoop, but better.

You should have imported Menu folder into projectm\pf for it to work. It will fix issues with missing CSPs on result screen, which result in game crashing.

YES! YES! YES!

I use it on Dolphin both with ISO Builder (when actually playing as him) and a faster way through virtual SD card (for testing), but this one is only for a inferiour version of Dolphin that has audio issues and overall slower emulation speed.

I did. Blue team. With Smash Balls and few other items on. Resulted in teammate getting KOed by Ridley's Final Smash. Friendly fire wasn't turned on.

All of that was pointed out already. Will be fixed. Not sure what prevents dash dancing - i didn't changed it much.

He just got lucky. It is a lot better in 1v1 though. Mostly because he likes to jump over opponent and go Ridley on them. AI really needs improvement.

Yeah, i didn't expected that much issues with installing files...
do you think you could make a sylux mod next?

Edit: or better yet, a shadow the hedgehog mod!!

Last edited:

ggmonx

Smash Cadet
Bagan the game freezes if i select ridley change his team color and try to select another character

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah, I noticed that too, and his damage output on the bosses in Boss Battle, I knew the reason of why it crashed because I immediately checked BrawlBox to see if he had some animations missing. Are you going to give Ridley his latter climbing and latter descent animations & fix Ridley's stats in Boss Battle and Subspace Emissary soon?
Yes, i will. And did anyone noticed how broken his DAir is in Boss Battles (especially against Porky and Petey)?
I can't find the download link to the common5 pack and the RSBE01 in the OP
Whoops, accidentally deleted them. Will be fixed in 3 minutes.
do you think you could make a sylux mod next?
Nah. Its gonna be too boring.
Bagan the game freezes if i select ridley change his team color and try to select another character
I don't have this issue, so, i can't fix it by myself since i'll have to do it blindly.

Last edited:

Dos efes

Smash Cadet
So, I just tried it for the first time. Loved most of it. I cleared classic mode and then did some stock battles. Pretty fun. It obviously need some nerfing, but most of the stuff has been pointed out by now. Maybe the only thing that really looks odd to me is the front KO animation, I mean the one when Ridley hits the screen. It's really choppy.

Other than that, excellent work, and congratulations Bagan.

PD: I cropped a pair of funny screen I took :)

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Fixed.

So, I just tried it for the first time. Loved most of it. I cleared classic mode and then did some stock battles. Pretty fun. It obviously need some nerfing, but most of the stuff has been pointed out by now. Maybe the only thing that really looks odd to me is the front KO animation, I mean the one when Ridley hits the screen. It's really choppy.

Other than that, excellent work, and congratulations Bagan.

PD: I cropped a pair of funny screen I took :)

Screen KO animation can't be edited without editing animation character uses when falling after getting launched.
Bagon you are amazing what do you plan to do after you 100% fully Ridley?
Rest in peace for a month or two and then go to making K.Rool or something like this.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Yo Bagan, Ganon pls!!! Pls!!! Or Porkey! Or K. Rool, but Ganon! I want that sweet sweet trident!

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
What has been fixed? The original post containing the links to the files you mean?
Got my fingers crossed for a fix that takes care of the mid air horizontal fireball and Down Smash problems.

This mod is so fun. I can't imagine myself ever choosing anyone other than Ridley ever again :)

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yo Bagan, Ganon pls!!! Pls!!! Or Porkey! Or K. Rool, but Ganon! I want that sweet sweet trident!
There is no good Ganon model. Well, there is one that is currently unfinished, but its over Giga Bowser of all things, so...I can certainly say no to Porky.
What has been fixed? The original post containing the links to the files you mean?
Got my fingers crossed for a fix that takes care of the mid air horizontal fireball and Down Smash problems.

This mod is so fun. I can't imagine myself ever choosing anyone other than Ridley ever again :)
For now, only links. And victory theme, thanks to themaziest again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom