• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
That's it, I'm done here. Good luck on this or whatever.

*Jumping off a cliff now*
Criticism is fine, but if you've nothing productive to say beyond "nope nope nope opinions differing," then there's no need for you to post here at all.

Personally I feel tail attacks are what make Ridley, well, Ridley, and not just another fire-breathing reptile/claw/winged character.

Furthermore, Metroid obviously strays from the usual "size = heavy" motif, especially in Smash. Samus being floaty is pretty much derived from game mechanics ("spacey" feel with less gravity) rather than anything making a lick of sense (cue watching her sink like a rock in Prime). Hell, Ridley's 2D appearances alone should make it clear it's not particularly difficult for him to stay airborne even with comically tiny wings.

Most importantly of all, it's up to Bagan. He wants not-fat Ridley, then power to him. If that really makes you jump off a cliff, you're probably in the wrong section of the boards.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Criticism is fine, but if you've nothing productive to say beyond "nope nope nope opinions differing," then there's no need for you to post here at all.

Personally I feel tail attacks are what make Ridley, well, Ridley, and not just another fire-breathing reptile/claw/winged character.

Furthermore, Metroid obviously strays from the usual "size = heavy" motif, especially in Smash. Samus being floaty is pretty much derived from game mechanics ("spacey" feel with less gravity) rather than anything making a lick of sense (cue watching her sink like a rock in Prime). Hell, Ridley's 2D appearances alone should make it clear it's not particularly difficult for him to stay airborne even with comically tiny wings.

Most importantly of all, it's up to Bagan. He wants not-fat Ridley, then power to him. If that really makes you jump off a cliff, you're probably in the wrong section of the boards.
I was planning on staying gone as my points of reason didn't want to be accepted by the OP. I don't care what he ultimately does, because it's his project, but when I see things that irk me from a creative standpoint; I'll jump on them. It's easy to see where things will go from here.

Notice my last comment IsmaR. Did you not pay attention to it? Did I insult him? No, I said "good luck or whatever" and then jumped off a cliff. I can disagree with people and express it; this isn't an improv theatre where I have to accept anyone's word as the truth.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
You came in here with the explicit intention to post/point out you're "done" with this thread. That has nothing to do with expression/acceptance.

The best way to stay gone is to stay gone, fyi.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Why are people getting mad about Ridley being light? It's for balance purposes. Get it together people. If he made Ridley as heavy as Charizard that would be pretty OP. Making him light is a great way to balance out a character like Ridley.

Rosalina is heavyweight in Mario kart series but a massive lightweight in smash bros.

Sentienl is a giant killer robot in MvC series and has very low health in mvc3. It's to balance the character. Duhhb. Common sense.

Insanity's Bane

Smash Rookie
Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Reporting live from the Smash 3 thread: People are going ape-s**t over the teaser for a supposedly HUGE update:

So, you guys like teasers? How about two teasers in one?!

Trophies! And...Samus?! We keep saying this, but the next update really will be a big one!

That Ridley's just a trophy folks, nothing to get excited about. The textures are straight from Other M if you think we're kidding around here. The trophy will come in the download, though.

I totally didn't stay up to make a Ridley trophy. Nope.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I'm seriously getting annoyed at gamefaqs now. Mods get pissey and whiny when you bashFire Emblem, Shulk and Dark Pit and gets you modded but funny how they never mod Ridley troll threads. Threads intentionally made to troll Ridley fans. I shared this there. PoSitive praise from many peeps but some trolls ruined the thread sadly and non got in trouble. I didn't even mention the words "Project M" and it got modded for "illegal activities'" and "flaming"? Seriously?
Lol I don't even frequent those boards anymore, the mods are garbage. They took down my Dark Samus thread for the same reason, even though it was discussing DS which is an actual assist trophy in SSB4 too. The reason they gave was such bull**** but I can't even remember.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I would be down with that but I only do move set replacements if it replaces a clone like falco lucus etc.
It doesn't works like that, unfortunately. At least he can be cloned with BrawlEx or even Project M's clone engine and his soundbank can replace Meta Ridley's without weird stuff happening like with Galleom and Duon since they have same set of sounds (as in they both have similar amount of roars and other SFX, not that they have similar sounds).
Reporting live from the Smash 3 thread: People are going ape-s**t over the teaser for a supposedly HUGE update:
That has nothing to do with this thread...or does it?..
Lol I don't even frequent those boards anymore, the mods are garbage. They took down my Dark Samus thread for the same reason, even though it was discussing DS which is an actual assist trophy in SSB4 too. The reason they gave was such bull**** but I can't even remember.
That is exactly why i don't bother with it much. Mods either do whatever they want when they want instead of doing their work like mods on this site. It isn't any better than 4chan.

Prepare for a very BIG update. The only attacks left are throws and attacks like ledge attack, so, this means that i finished all specials, aerial attacks and final smash while i was left without access to internet...This means they were done in 3 days...wow...

Cahalan

Smash Ace
It doesn't works like that, unfortunately. At least he can be cloned with BrawlEx or even Project M's clone engine and his soundbank can replace Meta Ridley's without weird stuff happening like with Galleom and Duon since they have same set of sounds (as in they both have similar amount of roars and other SFX, not that they have similar sounds).

That has nothing to do with this thread...or does it?..

That is exactly why i don't bother with it much. Mods either do whatever they want when they want instead of doing their work like mods on this site. It isn't any better than 4chan.

Prepare for a very BIG update. The only attacks left are throws and attacks like ledge attack, so, this means that i finished all specials, aerial attacks and final smash while i was left without access to internet...This means they were done in 3 days...wow...
I just wanted to report that they were changing the trophy models, including ridley. (You should totally base the textures for ridley based on this style if not done already...) And to also build up ridley hype for this mod and anything Ridley related in general.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I just wanted to report that they were changing the trophy models, including ridley. (You should totally base the textures for ridley based on this style if not done already...) And to also build up ridley hype for this mod and anything Ridley related in general.
Well, they use exactly same textures as in Other M and i have this one, so, its done.

Video uploaded:
Shows everything done so far. So, everything except for get hit, ledge, throw and item animations.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Well, they use exactly same textures as in Other M and i have this one, so, its done.

Video uploaded:
Shows everything done so far. So, everything except for get hit, ledge, throw and item animations.
Want!

WANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANT!!!!!!!!!!!

Granfalloon

Smash Cadet

Video uploaded:
Really incredible work you've put into this. It's got to be one of the best looking PSA projects I've ever seen.
If I had any critique it's that his walk animation where he goes step by step is a bit awkward though I'm not sure how you could do better. And it's great that he even has a final smash but I think if you could improve it it would be great to see Ridley fly towards the screen like he does in Super Metroid or from side to side maybe like Ganon's Final Smash.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Really incredible work you've put into this. It's got to be one of the best looking PSA projects I've ever seen.
If I had any critique it's that his walk animation where he goes step by step is a bit awkward though I'm not sure how you could do better. And it's great that he even has a final smash but I think if you could improve it it would be great to see Ridley fly towards the screen like he does in Super Metroid or from side to side maybe like Ganon's Final Smash.
Walking animation is messed up by code required to prevent Ridley for randomly rorating/spasming/whatever. It looks etter.
Those 2 can't be done. Later one actually uses projectile masked as Ganon while Ganondorf remains in the same place while former one is impossible with Project M engine.

Grimnir

Smash Apprentice
So a 14 year old single-handedly did what a veteran game designer with a large experienced team would not do, in a rather short amount of time at that. That's downright embarrassing when you think about it.

I like Lucario and all, but I'd happily ditch him for Ridley. Much looking forward to this!

latinking

Smash Apprentice
The fact that you did all specials and aerials in a mere 3 days is amazing. I can only imagine how much more refined all of this will look when you'll be completely done. Well done!

My major concerns involve Ridley's tail. During some of his harmless animations, such as walking and standing, his tail stretches out away from his back, thus taking up a lot of horizontal space across the stage.

I'm absolutely allright with the reach his tail possesses during attacks that focus around it, but would it be possible to shorten the length of his tail outside of those specific attack animations? As in, rather than extending his tail when he's standing/walking/running/jumping, make it stay close to Ridley's back without it moving around so much, perhaps in an S shape? This would fix a few things, such as his tail no longer clipping through the floor when he lands after jumping (seen in 2:05 and 2:17 in the video).

Another suggestion I have is to keep the tail positioned to Ridley's sides. If you notice, when Ridley backs away from his opponent, his tail goes next to his arms, and when he stands still, his tail occasionally moves to his sides as well.

The two images above are the moments where his tail takes up the least amount of screen space, and, in my honest opinion, it's where his tail should be positioned (most of the time) when he's not attacking in order to avoid awkward clipping through players, nearby environments, etc. When he's harmlessly jumping, perhaps the S shape idea mentioned earlier will be visually more appealing.

I also want to bring up the Down Air attack. Not only do I find it cool that you decided to make his classic Pogo stick attack into a normal move rather than a Special, but the video gives me the impression that you can use the move several times in a row if used correctly, essentially making it very faithful to classic Ridley. Wonderful!
When this attacks misses however, the entire length of the tail goes through the floor, like so:

Is it possible to program it so it does this instead? Visually, it would look much better:

The last detail I want to mention is the Down Tilt move. Isn't it rather strange for Ridley to stand so close for it to work? At 2:14, you can see his hands and the visual ''slash'' effect harmlessly pass through Samus. I think the range should be extended.

That's all I wish to bring up at the moment. I'm anxious to see the following weeks/months of progression! Thank you so much for your dedication BaganSmashBros!

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
The fact that you did all specials and aerials in a mere 3 days is amazing. I can only imagine how much more refined all of this will look when you'll be completely done. Well done!

My major concerns involve Ridley's tail. During some of his harmless animations, such as walking and standing, his tail stretches out away from his back, thus taking up a lot of horizontal space across the stage.

I'm absolutely allright with the reach his tail possesses during attacks that focus around it, but would it be possible to shorten the length of his tail outside of those specific attack animations? As in, rather than extending his tail when he's standing/walking/running/jumping, make it stay close to Ridley's back without it moving around so much, perhaps in an S shape? This would fix a few things, such as his tail no longer clipping through the floor when he lands after jumping (seen in 2:05 and 2:17 in the video).

Another suggestion I have is to keep the tail positioned to Ridley's sides. If you notice, when Ridley backs away from his opponent, his tail goes next to his arms, and when he stands still, his tail occasionally moves to his sides as well.

The two images above are the moments where his tail takes up the least amount of screen space, and, in my honest opinion, it's where his tail should be positioned (most of the time) when he's not attacking in order to avoid awkward clipping through players, nearby environments, etc. When he's harmlessly jumping, perhaps the S shape idea mentioned earlier will be visually more appealing.

I also want to bring up the Down Air attack. Not only do I find it cool that you decided to make his classic Pogo stick attack into a normal move rather than a Special, but the video gives me the impression that you can use the move several times in a row if used correctly, essentially making it very faithful to classic Ridley. Wonderful!
When this attacks misses however, the entire length of the tail goes through the floor, like so:

Is it possible to program it so it does this instead? Visually, it would look much better:

The last detail I want to mention is the Down Tilt move. Isn't it rather strange for Ridley to stand so close for it to work? At 2:14, you can see his hands and the visual ''slash'' effect harmlessly pass through Samus. I think the range should be extended.

That's all I wish to bring up at the moment. I'm anxious to see the following weeks/months of progression! Thank you so much for your dedication BaganSmashBros!
I'll think about it. Clipping is something SSB doesn't really cares about, but it shouldn't be too noticable. In animations during which he moves quickly, it will be left stretched out like it is right now to make it look more natural. In case i will move his tail like that, i don't want it to look weird and instead like something more natural, kinda like on Charizard.

Pogo tail/DAir was made in such way to punish user if mistimed. I will make him bounce up, but with a limit of 4-5 times before it gets stuck to avoid player just spamming it without opponent having a chance to punish Ridley since tail is long and lacks hurtboxes.

Thats just technical problems. Before making video, Ridley was 17% smaller and when i resized him, i left hitboxes same size as they were, so, they don't properly match animations now. Its most noticable with NAir (he misses Samus few times in the video despite his tail touching her and then going through). It will be fixed.

Last edited:

YoshiplayerX

Smash Apprentice
Wow great work!
I like all of his B moves beside the Side-B i think.
It looks so useless. He also seems very slow and his jump speed could be a little bit faster and not so high.
Again great work!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Wow great work!
I like all of his B moves beside the Side-B i think.
It looks so useless. He also seems very slow and his jump speed could be a little bit faster and not so high.
Again great work!
Its for edgeguarding. If done properly, it can prevent any opponent from returning to the stage just because he/she got pushed off in a helpless state after using recovery special.

Last edited:

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
It looks wonderful! Just two questions here, the game didn't really look as if it were running at 100% speed, was it lagging or is Ridley actually moving that slow and it's just how he is?

Secondly, the down B fall attack thing looks nice but do you think it would be possible to make add a fire effect to the landing to match that attack Meta Ridley used in Metroid Prime? (The one where he lights his feet on fire and slams into the ground in a similar fashion, except he creates a fire shockwave thing when he lands)

You don't have to answer, but anyway this looks great and I can't wait to see the finished product!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
It looks wonderful! Just two questions here, the game didn't really look as if it were running at 100% speed, was it lagging or is Ridley actually moving that slow and it's just how he is?

Secondly, the down B fall attack thing looks nice but do you think it would be possible to make add a fire effect to the landing to match that attack Meta Ridley used in Metroid Prime? (The one where he lights his feet on fire and slams into the ground in a similar fashion, except he creates a fire shockwave thing when he lands)

You don't have to answer, but anyway this looks great and I can't wait to see the finished product!
I used Dolphin to record it, so, it wasn't going at 100% speed. But Ridley is pretty slow on the ground - slower than Samus and Bowser at least.

Meta Ridley had special weapon installed in his feet to generate that fire. This Ridley is organic, so, it will be added only if Meta Ridley alt will be made and only for it in place of normal ground shockwave.

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
I used Dolphin to record it, so, it wasn't going at 100% speed. But Ridley is pretty slow on the ground - slower than Samus and Bowser at least.

Meta Ridley had special weapon installed in his feet to generate that fire. This Ridley is organic, so, it will be added only if Meta Ridley alt will be made and only for it in place of normal ground shockwave.
Alright, fair enough then. Thanks for answering!

YoshiplayerX

Smash Apprentice
Do you want him so slow in the air?
Project M is a very fast game he will be outplayed by every fast character if he is so floaty!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Do you want him so slow in the air?
Project M is a very fast game he will be outplayed by every fast character if he is so floaty!
Video is slowed down, so, it doesn't properly shows his speed, but i will increase air horizontal speed, but he will remain floaty to make it easier to hit opponent with aerial attacks. His aerial attacks are fast enough (~6 start up frames on most of them) to defend him from such attacks and he can use DAir to attack opponents waiting for him to fall without being at risk of getting hit until he gets low enough if he misses since his tail is invincible, so, opponent can't hit it, but it can hit opponent.

TheBirdSolution

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheBirdSolution
PMDT, balance this, optimise it and throw it in the next update, it's a marvellous job of the most requested SSB character ever, and hell, it's not like he's gonna' be in SSB4 playable is it?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
PMDT, balance this, optimise it and throw it in the next update, it's a marvellous job of the most requested SSB character ever, and hell, it's not like he's gonna' be in SSB4 playable is it?
Yeah, at this point, his chances are dead. Either Project M or Nintendo VS Capcom...so, its just Project M or oblivion. Oh, and you forgot "turn this into an alt":

...Or something better. If he will be official, then Meta Ridley alt is a must-have, even if it has to be custom. If it won't, then i will learn how to use 3DS Max and try to make my own.

Last edited:

TheBirdSolution

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheBirdSolution
Yeah, at this point, his chances are dead. Either Project M or Nintendo VS Capcom...so, its just Project M or oblivion. Oh, and you forgot "turn this into an alt":

...Or something better. If he will be official, then Meta Ridley alt is a must-have, even if it has to be custom. If it won't, then i will learn how to use 3DS Max and try to make my own.
As a Prime nerd, I vote for a mashup of Meta Ridley's colour scheme and design with the Omega Ridley model from Prime 3, best of both worlds!!

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
The moveset looks really great! (Albeit probably unbalanced in teams) Looking forward to a release.

I also agree with the side-B looking a tiny bit useless. Perhaps it should have less startup lag so it's not too avoidable. Also, personally, I'm not a fan of attacks with exactly one use (edgeguarding) so tweaking it might give it an on stage use. I can't think of a good one atmo though.

Can you attack out of the ground swipe special attack quickly? If yes, it looks like an interesting tool.

Other than that, I agree with all points made above.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Dayum! You made that alt all by yourself? It looks incredible, much better than the "Meta Ridley" we got in Pyrosphere.

I suppose the wings took the longest for you to get right?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Dayum! You made that alt all by yourself? It looks incredible, much better than the "Meta Ridley" we got in Pyrosphere.

I suppose the wings took the longest for you to get right?
No, just a "mock up", its not real at least for now.
The moveset looks really great! (Albeit probably unbalanced in teams) Looking forward to a release.

I also agree with the side-B looking a tiny bit useless. Perhaps it should have less startup lag so it's not too avoidable. Also, personally, I'm not a fan of attacks with exactly one use (edgeguarding) so tweaking it might give it an on stage use. I can't think of a good one atmo though.

Can you attack out of the ground swipe special attack quickly? If yes, it looks like an interesting tool.

Other than that, I agree with all points made above.
I could make it be interruptible with other attacks during start up, but not with other actions.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Been gone for a while, but really your 50% done, dang man keep it up, can't wait for this to come out.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
FIREBRAND SWAP!!!

(As you can see on my profile on the left I love Ghosts 'n Goblins.)

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Take Jigglypuff, add some Marth and a snuff of Ganondorf, put it in a blender and you've got a very disgusting smoothie.
Oh and Ridley of course. Da-amn. Dair/Nair is like Shulk's Nair but even more brutal.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Take Jigglypuff, add some Marth and a snuff of Ganondorf, put it in a blender and you've got a very disgusting smoothie.
Oh and Ridley of course. Da-amn. Dair/Nair is like Shulk's Nair but even more brutal.
Real brutal stuff (throws) isn't finished yet.

I have some news - Side B will be replaced by what i originally wanted, but instead of being like UMVSC3 Firebrand's BoN Voyage, ground Side B will be more like Ridley's grab in Other M. Speciffically, its end, where he blasts Samus with fire breath if she fails to shoot him in the face. Instead of stream of fire, it will be just a fireball. Right now i have to figure out how to make him move forward because specials are pretty stubborn in that part. Have a teaser for now:

Oh, and model's materials are fixed again - now he looks brighter and his eyes glow.

Last edited:

McMarth

Smash Cadet
Real brutal stuff (throws) isn't finished yet.

I have some news - Side B will be replaced by what i originally wanted, but instead of being like UMVSC3 Firebrand's BoN Voyage, ground Side B will be more like Ridley's grab in Other M. Speciffically, its end, where he blasts Samus with fire breath if she fails to shoot him in the face. Instead of stream of fire, it will be just a fireball. Right now i have to figure out how to make him move forward because specials are pretty stubborn in that part. Have a teaser for now:

Oh, and model's materials are fixed again - now he looks brighter and his eyes glow.
This looks really cool, and I prefer it to the previous Side B. Will this command grab work in the air? If so, will it work like Ganon's or do you have something else planned?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
This looks really cool, and I prefer it to the previous Side B. Will this command grab work in the air? If so, will it work like Ganon's or do you have something else planned?
Unfortunately, i can't make it work in the air. Instead, he will have something similar to UMVC3 Firebrand's Light Demon Missile Basically a charge attack and if it connects, Ridley will bounce off the opponent while opponent will go diagonally down. This could be used as a recovery of course.

McMarth

Smash Cadet
That sounds rad. And yeah sorry, I just reread the OP and saw that you already explained that.
Also, this project keeps looking better with every update. Well done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom