• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Funny you should mention that... I just fixed it. I also fixed the sword trail glitch, among other things. I'm also planning to make a soundbank, but if someone else makes one first, I'll use that bank for this universal port. If anyone wants to test it out, here's a link. Let me know if there are any glitches.

Link: https://mega.co.nz/#!OU40lDbL!JCZfVFPCFLUVhZv9Q73eFMvXJKogvSnFBHqdsb_lijQ
You're back! Thanks for those. I'll try those out once they are downloaded. BTW, which character/enemy/boss' GFX and SFX are used?

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
You're back! Thanks for those. I'll try those out once they are downloaded. BTW, which character/enemy/boss' GFX and SFX are used?
Yes, I've returned, at least for now lol. I used Gray Fox (203 in decimal, CB in hex), the assist trophy, and I already switched all of the GFX btw. Once someone makes a soundbank, I'll set it up to use that.

EDIT: This will also work as a BrawlEX port for those users who know what they're doing, haha. I also might release a version with Ridley occupying his own character slot...

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yes, I've returned, at least for now lol. I used Gray Fox (203 in decimal, CB in hex), the assist trophy, and I already switched all of the GFX btw. Once someone makes a soundbank, I'll set it up to use that.

EDIT: This will also work as a BrawlEX port for those users who know what they're doing, haha. I also might release a version with Ridley occupying his own character slot...
Good.

That would be great. But will it be compatible with Project M 3.6?

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace

MY GOD... He LIVES!
So it looks like the original idea of having Ridley use his own slot is still alive... :)

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Good.

That would be great. But will it be compatible with Project M 3.6?
Would what be compatible? The solo character slot, or the soundbank? Because, in theory, both of those things should be. Also, it's important that the port Ridley uses the costumes that I included. Otherwise, the game might crash, since I had to add twelve bones to the .mdl0 file.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Would what be compatible? The solo character slot, or the soundbank? Because, in theory, both of those things should be. Also, it's important that the port Ridley uses the costumes that I included. Otherwise, the game might crash, since I had to add twelve bones to the .mdl0 file.
Solo character slot. And why add 12 bones? If model change is unavoidable, then i have something in mind for that...

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
How many costumes does Ridley have if that's the case?

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Solo character slot. And why add 12 bones? If model change is unavoidable, then i have something in mind for that...
It has something to do with the module file. My current theory is that the module allocates space for 92 bones (because the game thinks that it's pit) and has a problem when Ridley only has 80.The freeze occurs when Pit is selected after playing a match with Ridley. I did notice that Ridley's last costume's wings have an issue after adding 12 bones...

How many costumes does Ridley have if that's the case?
He'll be able to have as many as Bagan wants, with the max being 12.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
It has something to do with the module file. My current theory is that the module allocates space for 92 bones (because the game thinks that it's pit) and has a problem when Ridley only has 80.The freeze occurs when Pit is selected after playing a match with Ridley. I did notice that Ridley's last costume's wings have an issue after adding 12 bones...

That sounds like a Catch 22, but I can see why. Also the Wing "glitch" the last costume only affects the CSP correct?

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
That sounds like a Catch 22, but I can see why. Also the Wing "glitch" the last costume only affects the CSP correct?
Actually, the orange webbed part of the wings just doesn't show up ingame. It's bizarre, and I'm looking into it now. For efficiency reasons, Brawl likes to reuse information when spawning the same character again, so if Ridley (a clone of Pit) is loaded the first time and has fewer bones than Pit, the game will search for bones that weren't loaded the first time.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Actually, the orange webbed part of the wings just doesn't show up ingame. It's bizarre, and I'm looking into it now. For efficiency reasons, Brawl likes to reuse information when spawning the same character again, so if Ridley (a clone of Pit) is loaded the first time and has fewer bones than Pit, the game will search for bones that weren't loaded the first time.
So that means Roy and Mewtwo have similar bone counts as their counter parts Marth and Lucario respectively?

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
So that means Roy and Mewtwo have similar bone counts as their counter parts Marth and Lucario respectively?
Curiously, Mewtwo has more bones than Lucario, which tells me that the PMDT either used a code to stabilize Mewtwo or modified his module in a different way than I did to accommodate this difference. I know for a fact that my .rel has some distinct differences from the standard PM .rel, so it wouldn't surprise me if mine would require something like adding 12 bones. You raise a good point though... Maybe I don't need to add the bones. I guess I could look into making a code, but that seems like more work than running the bone add program lol.

Also, I included the wrong .pac file in my original download:

Actual .PAC:
https://mega.co.nz/#!WQA2HLaL!_prQodsvFoeqDrts16IUiJwF3w0otgZzmBmDgU9ZNpc

Old files (Replace the FitRidley.pac with the above version):
https://mega.co.nz/#!OU40lDbL!JCZfVFPCFLUVhZv9Q73eFMvXJKogvSnFBHqdsb_lijQ

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Interesting...Can i have more than 92 bones? Just in case what i want to do will require more than 12 bones.

Oh. That is awesome. But i'd better keep it at 10. 6 normal Ridleys, 4 Meta Ridleys...if it is possible to make those possible to select as red, blue and green team colors like OoT Link and Ganondorf. If not, then just 7 Ridleys and 3 Meta Ridleys.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
DAir done:

Its not as good as SD's animation, but i have less experience and im using different program. One thing over his animation mine has is that toes are properly posed. But thats it. Animation itself has roughly same amount of frames as his animation (43). Maybe there should be more, but thats how many frames i got from separating his webms into images. As for what i'll do with the attack itself, i'll turn it into more traditional spike/meteor smash DAir. Its fast, but it has very limited horizontal range and low hitbox duration and there is no full-body meteor smash hitbox bulls**t like with Captain Falcon and Ganondorf. Old pogo tail will be alt version performed by holding A, like it was used before for going through opponents instead of bouncing up. I don't really like using those alt attacks, but i want to somehow preserve old pogo tail.
Next animation will most likely be FAir.

Last edited:

MerryShadow

Smash Cadet
DAir done:

Its not as good as SD's animation, but i have less experience and im using different program. One thing over his animation mine has is that toes are properly posed. But thats it. Animation itself has roughly same amount of frames as his animation (43). Maybe there should be more, but thats how many frames i got from separating his webms into images. As for what i'll do with the attack itself, i'll turn it into more traditional spike/meteor smash DAir. Its fast, but it has very limited horizontal range and low hitbox duration and there is no full-body meteor smash hitbox bulls**t like with Captain Falcon and Ganondorf. Old pogo tail will be alt version performed by holding A, like it was used before for going through opponents instead of bouncing up. I don't really like using those alt attacks, but i want to somehow preserve old pogo tail.
Next animation will most likely be FAir.
You did a damn good job at reproducing it, bravo.
Will you remove the meteor from the pogo tail attack then?
EDIT: Is it possible to give a Zair to a character if its base doesn't have one? If it is, having the pogo on Z could be an option.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
EDIT: Is it possible to give a Zair to a character if its base doesn't have one? If it is, having the pogo on Z could be an option.
No, it will remain on pogo tail, but only for 2-3 frames.
I don't think so. Besides, its easier to go with the "Hold A" way.

Welp, only ground jump animation is left. Others are done and animations are coded.

MerryShadow

Smash Cadet
No, it will remain on pogo tail, but only for 2-3 frames.
I don't think so. Besides, its easier to go with the "Hold A" way.

Welp, only ground jump animation is left. Others are done and animations are coded.
So i assume the next dev version will have those animations. You should add the glide run too, so we can test it.

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Actually, with codes, you can give any character a ZAir, but I don't know how well that would work with Ridley.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Hm, yeah... How would a z-air for Ridley work? Surprised that never occurred to us till now.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
He wouldn't really, but was just a thought.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Small update: i started recreation of SilentDo0m's newest animations. For example, DAir:

All of them will come with proper changes to the attack or coding (for DAir, don't worry - pogo tail will still be present). NAir is not one of the animations that will be updated though. To be honest, that animation looks pretty stupid and it would also make he attack useless. I will also update ground jump animation. Don't expect them to have same quality though.

If you haven't seen those new animations:
http://zippy.gfycat.com/EnviousGorgeousIcelandgull.webm - Ground Jump
http://zippy.gfycat.com/LimpingGoodnaturedIggypops.webm - FAir
http://zippy.gfycat.com/PositiveWellinformedAfricanwilddog.webm - UAir
http://zippy.gfycat.com/PotableHighlevelGlowworm.webm - DAir
Where'd you find those animations? I checked SD's twitch page, and all I saw that was there was his process in making the new animation for Ridley's ground jump. I'm curious to know what makes his take on the NAir so bad for you.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Where'd you find those animations? I checked SD's twitch page, and all I saw that was there was his process in making the new animation for Ridley's ground jump. I'm curious to know what makes his take on the NAir so bad for you.
I was present during at least half of the stream, so, i got those from the chat. You can find other animations from the stream here: https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/3epzgk/anybody_have_a_collection_of_the_progress/
As for what makes me dislike his NAir, then its how stupid it looks like (Ridley just goes "whee!" while spewing fire) and because he shouldn't be able to perform such movement. Not while simply falling.

Last edited:

Depressedzombieluigi

Smash Apprentice
I agree with HypnotizeOverdrive and Sdoom's Nair is also more unique. I mean seriously? The current Nair has Ridley curling into a ball and spinning going "weeeeee".

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Curiously, Mewtwo has more bones than Lucario, which tells me that the PMDT either used a code to stabilize Mewtwo or modified his module in a different way than I did to accommodate this difference. I know for a fact that my .rel has some distinct differences from the standard PM .rel, so it wouldn't surprise me if mine would require something like adding 12 bones. You raise a good point though... Maybe I don't need to add the bones. I guess I could look into making a code, but that seems like more work than running the bone add program lol.

Also, I included the wrong .pac file in my original download:

Actual .PAC:
https://mega.co.nz/#!WQA2HLaL!_prQodsvFoeqDrts16IUiJwF3w0otgZzmBmDgU9ZNpc

Old files (Replace the FitRidley.pac with the above version):
https://mega.co.nz/#!OU40lDbL!JCZfVFPCFLUVhZv9Q73eFMvXJKogvSnFBHqdsb_lijQ
Wait i'm lost, what are these for?

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
About the NAir, I have to say that this is really our mod, not Sd00m's; we're not just going to roll over for his stuff because it's what people want. We have our own goals for this mod, and forcing all of his animations in sort of puts it on the path of making it less our mod and more of an addon kit for P:M. We've worked hard to get to where we are, and frankly I think we all enjoy this grassroots team we've amassed.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I mean I liked SD's take on the neutral aerial, but it's not a necessity, especially if it takes up more unnecessary file space.

Depressedzombieluigi

Smash Apprentice
About the NAir, I have to say that this is really our mod, not Sd00m's; we're not just going to roll over for his stuff because it's what people want. We have our own goals for this mod, and forcing all of his animations in sort of puts it on the path of making it less our mod and more of an addon kit for P:M. We've worked hard to get to where we are, and frankly I think we all enjoy this grassroots team we've amassed.

Right, because why collaborate with Professionals to make your character better and improve your chances of making this mod official when you could instead be stubborn and do it your own way? All I wanna ask is this: Do you guys want your mod to exclusively suit your tastes? Or do you want to refine it and make it better by an objective standpoint by cooperating with more experienced animators in order to make it a more enjoyable mod for other people besides yourselves? I know you guys were the ones who started this mod, but you really shouldn't be passing up on opportunities to accept help from more experienced people like this! And what's wrong with this mod becoming an add-on kit for PM? The way I see it, doing so would only increase the chances of Ridley becoming an official character in the PM roster!

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Right, because why collaborate with Professionals and improve your chances of making this mod official when you could instead be stubborn and do it your own way? All I wanna ask is this: Do you guys want your mod to exclusively suit your tastes? Or do you want to refine it and make it better by an objective standpoint by cooperating with more experienced animators in order to make it a more enjoyable mod for other people besides yourselves? I know you guys were the ones who started this mod, but you really shouldn't be passing up on opportunities to accept help from more experienced people like this! And what's wrong with this mod becoming an add-on kit for PM? The way I see it, doing so would only increase the chances of Ridley becoming an official character in the PM roster!
Again, we wouldn't mind if the mod was official, but as of now we're focusing on making it competitively balanced more than making it look pretty. The prettying up comes after the hard work and balancing.

Trying to say we HAVE to use Sdo0m's work to be subjectively better (as if he's just better than us forever, when in reality we're just a ragtag group making a mod, while's he's been taking animation classes) is basically saying that our work isn't good enough, and that's like the ultimate insult to a creator. If we were so petty as to focus on animations being pretty before making it functional in competition, I assure you we'd have never released new versions so frequently lately. Honestly, we don't even really have to continue working on the mod; we're doing it because we want to, not because we want to make him official. That's tertiary to our goal.

And I assure you the PMDT would look for balance first over pretty animations. Nobody wants a broken character one way or the other. You can polish a broken, overpowered mod all you want, it's still a broken, overpowered mod.

Top Bottom