• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unofficial Project M Ridley - CLASSIC RIDLEY BETA RELEASED! 31/10/16

What is your opinion on this hack?

• Total voters

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Now for the biggest part; testing the images in-game.

EDIT: I don't have any way to screencap this, but it seems to work fine on my end. It doesn't freeze the game, at least. :p
Good.
You guys probably know about this already, but

With your Ridley mod being so popular, applying would be really neat. Of course, I don't know what exactly the team is looking for, most likely coding wizards, but still something to consider.
I know about this. Beta testers showed me a while ago. But im not sure. My animations, while a lot better than in most mods, still need a lot more work to fit and im not that great with coding. I would be applying on day 1 before, but after looking at how great SSBB and SSB4 animations are, especially when compared to my animations, i think i won't get far with that. And im forced to use BrawlBox (i have Maya, but it can't export animations as, well, animations for whatever reasons), so, there are more limitations with animations.

Last edited:

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
It's like you've said though, while you're not the best right now, I'd consider you fairly good at animating. Ultimately I wouldn't pass up the opportunity, especially someone as gifted as yourself. You've proven yourself to be very dedicated and I'm sure you've improved greatly even since when you started on this back in September. The PM team will probably see your potential and dedication as well (well, they already have taken notice). I'd say go for it, because who knows what this could lead to.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
It's like you've said though, while you're not the best right now, I'd consider you fairly good at animating. Ultimately I wouldn't pass up the opportunity, especially someone as gifted as yourself. You've proven yourself to be very dedicated and I'm sure you've improved greatly even since when you started on this back in September. The PM team will probably see your potential and dedication as well (well, they already have taken notice). I'd say go for it, because who knows what this could lead to.
Im still not sure about this whole thing. I'll think about it.
And thanks.

Last edited:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Yeah, dedication is important, a lot of good modders never finish or persist on anything, they have a lot of abandoned works-in-progresses. You don't. I'd also like to take this opportunity to point out your clever brain. You all were able to take a character who's always been too big and has always had a questionable moveset, and make him work comfortably without seeming too unnatural.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah, dedication is important, a lot of good modders never finish or persist on anything, they have a lot of abandoned works-in-progresses. You don't. I'd also like to take this opportunity to point out your clever brain. You all were able to take a character who's always been too big and has always had a questionable moveset, and make him work comfortably without seeming too unnatural.
Technically, i have 1 abandoned work-in-progress (SSBC Ridley mod), but that was due to being unable to go any further with it.
Thanks for that.

But i also have to thank those who helped shape up the moveset through the 4 months since the mod was released and even before that. You all are responsible for this in one way or another. While i was the one who came up with the original ideas for the moveset, you helped improve it.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
You really need to give yourself more credit man, this mod really is amazing and with the help of the PMDT it could be even better plus official.

It's worth a shot at the very least

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
So... Your only abandoned work-in-progress is really just a super early version of this, right?
What's SSBC?
Kinda. More like my previous attempt when i still wasn't experienced enough and used already existing mod as a base. I think its a good thing that i couldn't finish it. Its like loosing your arm and then at some point getting cybertnetic replacement and some chocolate.
Its "Super Smash Bros. Crusade", a SSB fan game with a lot of playable characters (with only 1 anime character rather than like 3 of 4, but i still don't support this decision), including Ridley. Unfortunately, controls and sprites in this game aren't exactly the best, with sprites clashing with each other and just Samus. I was using their Ridley's moveset for moveset before with some changes here and there and im still using some parts of him for my version (one of victory animations, Up Smash, old FThrow before its last part was replaced with point-blank fireball shot, old jab finisher, one of the BAirs and v1.9's DAir).
You really need to give yourself more credit man, this mod really is amazing and with the help of the PMDT it could be even better plus official.

It's worth a shot at the very least
Thanks. It certainly would be better with their help. Just needs to have the model, balancing and animations improved. And the last one was getting handled by a member of PMDT at some point, but i haven't heard of him since April (and im still waiting for Week 3's animations to be put on youtube...maybe i could use them for something like i did with some of his animations).

I guess so. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited:

latinking

Smash Apprentice
Welp, I saw the E3 Nintendo videos. Disappointing.
Congratulations BaganSmashBros. Your upcoming 2.0 mod, among other fan-made projects like AM2R, have been able to get me more Metroid-hyped than what Nintendo unveiled in the last 24 hours.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Congratulations BaganSmashBros. Your upcoming 2.0 mod, among other fan-made projects like AM2R, have been able to get me more Metroid-hyped than what Nintendo unveiled in the last 24 hours.
I actually like the idea of the new Metroid game. That weird Chibi style will slaughter it though.

latinking

Smash Apprentice
I actually like the idea of the new Metroid game. That weird Chibi style will slaughter it though.
Federation Forces should have been the bonus game included with a new, full-fledged Metroid title, instead of being the main game itself.

Prime Hunters had it's own main game along with the fun multiplayer that was fairly popular back in my highschool days. It didn't need weird Chibi artstyle to be ''cool'' or ''attractive''. I thought Metroid was one of the few Nintendo franchises with a serious tone to it.

Why not make Prime Hunters 2 with co-operative missions, the latter which seems to be the main focus of Federation Forces? What exactly is stopping them from taking Prime Hunters and making it better than before?

In any case, my faith in Metroid fans is extremely positive by seeing the number of dislikes and comments in the youtube trailer of Federation Forces and um... Ball Blaster....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGu3Xe1uUUg

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Prime Hunters also didn't sell too well, though...

Besides, we're getting off-topic here. On the topic of Ridley, I've posted a question to Nanobuds on Reddit about his status; basically, if they've considered making him a Clone Engine character or if they're leaving the development to us.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord

Besides, we're getting off-topic here. On the topic of Ridley, I've posted a question to Nanobuds on Reddit about his status; basically, if they've considered making him a Clone Engine character or if they're leaving the development to us.
Nano's really good at community communicatiton... Even though he says whateveer he wants regardless of whether or not it's true.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

You shouldn't have done that.
Nano's really good at community communicatiton... Even though he says whateveer he wants regardless of whether or not it's true.
Its a good thing though. Its harder to tell if he is leaking info or just joking in such case.
Thanks i guess. And AM2R is awesome.

I think i should go beyond just remaking the animation of Final Smash. So, should i make it hit only once like it does in Other M, but have knockback on it very high or make it hit several times until opponent reaches the tip of the stream of fire?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Another new addition to the mod - more varied/less repetitive sounds and just overall different voice. Now he uses SSB4 (same as in Brawl, except edited to fit his attacks), Metroid Prime and Other M voices with Adolescent Ridley's hiss for his Down Taunt. SFX is still reused sometimes, but not as often. Also, Ridley-X's roar is not as loud as it was before. Thanks to @themaziest for most of the sounds used. While this isn't as necessary as it was before since he doesn't roars as much, its still nice to have.
And just to save time and space, Ridley will jump up if his Final Smash is used. Not to too high for it to miss, but not too low for his tail to touch the ground. Animation i'll use as a reference this time will be his Other M animation used when he is charging up a giant fireball while in the air because this animation is a lot more...er...active. He will still aim straight forward and he won't close his mouth that quickly.

Last edited:

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Another new addition to the mod - more varied/less repetitive sounds and just overall different voice. Now he uses SSB4 (same as in Brawl, except edited to fit his attacks), Metroid Prime and Other M voices with Adolescent Ridley's hiss for his Down Taunt. SFX is still reused sometimes, but not as often. Also, Ridley-X's roar is not as loud as it was before. Thanks to @themaziest for most of the sounds used. While this isn't as necessary as it was before since he doesn't roars as much, its still nice to have.
And just to save time and space, Ridley will jump up if his Final Smash is used. Not to too high for it to miss, but not too low for his tail to touch the ground. Animation i'll use as a reference this time will be his Other M animation used when he is charging up a giant fireball while in the air because this animation is a lot more...er...active. He will still aim straight forward and he won't close his mouth that quickly.

This move?

Akzomp

Smash Cadet
NNID
AKG_Akzomp
Could someone provide a Dolphin Project M Ridley install tutorial? If I switch the normal PM files to the Ridley mod ones and run PM off Gecko on Dolphin, there are no apparent changes and Pit is still Pit, not Ridley.

If I use a Project M ISO builder and replace the files in the builder, then Ridley does replace Pit, but all of the fighters aren't unlocked, and Dolphin crashes when loading a stage.

PLEASE HELP! I would love to play this amazing mod!

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Could someone provide a Dolphin Project M Ridley install tutorial? If I switch the normal PM files to the Ridley mod ones and run PM off Gecko on Dolphin, there are no apparent changes and Pit is still Pit, not Ridley.

If I use a Project M ISO builder and replace the files in the builder, then Ridley does replace Pit, but all of the fighters aren't unlocked, and Dolphin crashes when loading a stage.

PLEASE HELP! I would love to play this amazing mod!
Do you just merge the folders and replace the files? And are you using codes folder included? Where do you put the files/folders?

Akzomp

Smash Cadet
NNID
AKG_Akzomp
Do you just merge the folders and replace the files? And are you using codes folder included? Where do you put the files/folders?
I replace the files in the Ridley mod with the normal PM ones, including the one in the codes folder. As far as I can tell, I'm installing it right, it might just be a Dolphin/PM compatibility issue as a whole, if that makes any sense (normal Project M works fine on my Dolphin).

Thanks for the reply! I really want this mod to be ported into official Project M. I would love to have Ridley in there!

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I replace the files in the Ridley mod with the normal PM ones, including the one in the codes folder. As far as I can tell, I'm installing it right, it might just be a Dolphin/PM compatibility issue as a whole, if that makes any sense (normal Project M works fine on my Dolphin).

Thanks for the reply! I really want this mod to be ported into official Project M. I would love to have Ridley in there!
Wait, it should be in reverse. You should be replacing PIT's PM files with Ridley mod.

No problems. And same thing here.
any recent vids of the work?
But this is already pretty outdated (Side B now works a bit differently and he doesn't throws opponent as quickly, his FTilt is different, he has new Up Taunt, his SFX has been replaced, his entry animation has been replaced, etc).

Last edited:

Akzomp

Smash Cadet
NNID
AKG_Akzomp
Then thats accurate. If that doesn't works, then i don't know whats wrong.
Hmmm... well, thank's for the replies anyways. Maybe I will figure something out. Or, later I could record myself installing the mod, and you could make sure I did it right and see if you can notice the problem.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Hmmm... well, thank's for the replies anyways. Maybe I will figure something out. Or, later I could record myself installing the mod, and you could make sure I did it right and see if you can notice the problem.
Before all of this, take a look at that tutorial in the first post of the thread. Maybe it will help.

New entry animation done:

Based off his animation from Brawl when he returns to the stage and intro cutscene of his boss fight in Other M. I like it a lot more than previous animation.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Also, a bit of fun Bagan's (apparently) had on his own with how Ridley's used;

Meet Pitley...Rit....Ridpit....Pitely? Whatever, it's Ridley with a laurel, gauntlets and a bowsword. And four wings! :p

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Also, a bit of fun Bagan's (apparently) had on his own with how Ridley's used;

Meet Pitley...Rit....Ridpit....Pitely? Whatever, it's Ridley with a laurel, gauntlets and a bowsword. And four wings! :p
...didn't expected this to be posted here. I should have added his tunic too, but he was too big for it. And his name should be Canyon.

Well, i have only 3 days left. Most of the stuff is done, fortunately, but it probably won't have any dramatic entrance like first release did. Oh well.

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
If you feel you have to wait slightly longer to include everything you'd planned for in this release, I don't think anyone would blame you. Polish is always a good thing.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
If you feel you have to wait slightly longer to include everything you'd planned for in this release, I don't think anyone would blame you. Polish is always a good thing.
Eh, I'd say pretty much all of the staff is comfortable with releasing the mod at this stage. Besides, we have 72 hours left before release; that's enough to at least polish the bigger things.

If we decided that it's not quite satisfactory after release, then we'll probably just make a, say 3.0.1 or something that fixes the gripes. But for now, we're pretty close to satisfied with what we have.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Eh, I'd say pretty much all of the staff is comfortable with releasing the mod at this stage. Besides, we have 72 hours left before release; that's enough to at least polish the bigger things.

If we decided that it's not quite satisfactory after release, then we'll probably just make a, say 3.0.1 or something that fixes the gripes. But for now, we're pretty close to satisfied with what we have.
Um, it should be 2.0.1 then.

Wolley2xjd

Banned via Administration
Here's a question, will there be a video released after version 2.0 out showcasing his new moves?

Mapet

Smash Cadet
Is the program for Pit/Ridley file switching still being released along with 2.0?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Is the program for Pit/Ridley file switching still being released along with 2.0?
It won't be available at launch. Thats something im sure about.

Well, Final Smash is done now. It works like a mix of Mario Finale and Zero Laser - it pushes opponent far forward, then finishes off after some time with a very powerful hitbox that lasts for few frames. It has lower duration now and hitbox doesn't stays in place, but it has a lot more range than before and still is guaranteed to kill at 0%. This doesn't means everything is ready for the release though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom