• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Unleashing a 2-D Horror - A Game and Watch Thread

jtm94

Smash Lord
Ohwell. My Link friend doesn't like the MU, but he says he likes it better as Link than Marth by far.

Speaking of Link.
@ Dakpo Dakpo
I'm going to be teaming with my Link friend this weekend for doubles. We used to play Zelda+Link, but GnW is now my better character and even though Toon Link is pretty different I was wondering if you could give me some ideas for good GnW+Link team play and what characters if any you would switch off of that team combo for? And what feel like good stages in general for the team? Is bacon good/useful or does it need to be used safely/sparingly?

My friend plays extreme super aggro rushdown hyper offense Link, but we can play super campfest if need be.

My available characters are GnW, Zelda, Sheik, Diddy
He has Link, Marth

Last edited:

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Ohwell. My Link friend doesn't like the MU, but he says he likes it better as Link than Marth by far.

Speaking of Link.
@ Dakpo Dakpo
I'm going to be teaming with my Link friend this weekend for doubles. We used to play Zelda+Link, but GnW is now my better character and even though Toon Link is pretty different I was wondering if you could give me some ideas for good GnW+Link team play and what characters if any you would switch off of that team combo for? And what feel like good stages in general for the team? Is bacon good/useful or does it need to be used safely/sparingly?

My friend plays extreme super aggro rushdown hyper offense Link, but we can play super campfest if need be.

My available characters are GnW, Zelda, Sheik, Diddy
He has Link, Marth
I would think duo platform stages like PS2 and Distant planet would be good. set up projectile barriers on the platforms is good. Its hard to give advice on this team because Tink can literally 2v1 people while GnW can support. Something you should understand is how link recovers. Although link can recover from almost anywhere because of bomb jumps, but you have to consider that it takes a while and you get 2v1ed until link finally makes it back. Try experimenting with stage choices that benefit link more than you. GnW is more versatile imo. You should just generally avoid small stages in doubles. GnW dies extremely early :(

jtm94

Smash Lord
Will try. I'm good at saving Link with Zelda's dins because of his time consuming recovery so I'll see if I can do anything cool with bacon. I'm not as confident in my 2v1 keepaway with GnW as I am with Zelda, but most teammates lack good 2v1 capabilities so it is pretty easy to throw people off and have them run into eachother.

Last edited:

Sandshadow

Smash Cadet
So I have a tournament tomorrow after not going to one in about four months, what are some things that I should keep in mind as a Game and Watch player when playing my matches and before matches. Such as stage bans, picks, and what game and watch counters and is countered by.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Speaking of tournaments, I'm going to my first one next Saturday, and I've already talked to the best G&W in my state and we're gonna have friendlies

I'm so hyped

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Could someone add me to the skype group? id: Yursaman

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure I'm going. I started trying to use GW a couple days ago on keyboard netplay lol, so I'm not sure how legitimate my GW will be, but I'm planning on trying him out in the tournament for fun. I've been meaning to actually learn a PM character instead of just playing Melee in PM (if that makes any sense) and since GW was my favorite Melee low tier and one of my Brawl mains back in like 2008 it kind of makes sense for me to use him.

Also I think GW is an incredibly stupid character (like a lot of PM characters) and that the GW mains I've seen aren't bringing the stupid out of him. The fact that he can jump after up-B is an insanely overpowered tool in a plethora of situations. He's chock full of ways to combo into his side-B, gets free edgeguards with d-tilt, 0-deaths spacies for free, automatically has throw mix-ups, has an anti-projectile (instant releasing the down-B seems to counter projectile approaches entirely), has a reliable 1-frame combo escape move, has stupid disjointed hitboxes, and is really hard to edgeguard. And don't even get me started on how lame short-hop double sausage is for opponents to deal with. The fact that the PM competitive scene has no dominant player who mains GW kind of baffles me because this character seems pretty broken.
Who remembers this? :p

sugydye

Smash Rookie
Added you. Too many people asking to get into the group these days, we made it.
I have been maining GnW for a few months now and I feel I have improved a lot. If anyone in this skype group is still active I would ask for someone to had me as well for i am the only GnW in my area.
sugydye-

Kune

Smash Rookie
Anyone got some general pointers vs like really good sheiks
I recently took game 1 of amsah's falco, but her proceeded to pretty much destroy me for the 2-1 with sheik.

jtm94

Smash Lord
It's usually better to shoot for an edgeguarding situation vs Sheik than trying to outright KO her.

CC vs Sheik is godly her only out is grab and dtilt beats it. We also duck under needles.

Mixup recovery so you aren't being predictable. We have enough tools especially with DJ to out maneuver her at the ledge unless we are forced to sweetspot.

Kune

Smash Rookie
thanks for the advice! Edge guarding sheik isn't that hard per say, but i tend to try and fly of the ledge too much which ****s me up against sheik. I'll just play-lame-win-game hold on to the ledge when i play him again, maybe i'll make an upset happen.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Holding ledge vs Sheik is good as any character. It gets tricky if she can get further in on a platform, but you can even cover that with a ledge dash then SH uair > UpB > Whatever. If she goes onto the stage just barely you can go for the meteor of dair, the landing hit of dair, or a ledge hop b turnaround panslam that will send her back off. You can also just grab and upthrow > nair which works on Sheik until late %s, or even use the directional throw off the stage so if she DIs in you can nair, if she DIs out you just grab ledge again. Ohyeah and if she goes to stage if you react fast enough you can do a simple ledge get up > fsmash, or the sourspot dsmash which should kill her at the ledge at 60% or higher.

Kune

Smash Rookie
if she lands on the platform couldn't you just tournament winner->waveland on the platform->f-smash? might take too long, I'll test it tommorow.

jtm94

Smash Lord
You can do tons of things to be honest. I was just listing out a lot of options. In many scenarios uair > nair is a true follow up, but at later %s DI might get out of it if you aren't a fastfaller.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I was playing PM with 2 of the best players in the state a few days ago, and I found out that my DI is immaculate. Nearly every single stock I had, I was living to 150%+.

I have also extremely improved my G&W as a whole, one of the two players is also a G&W main and is #4 in the state (me and him are the only G&W players), and we kept reverse 2-3 stocking each other every game. He told me how proud he was of how much I've improved, with my combo game and mixups and DI.

Top Bottom