• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tuesday

Smash Ace
I have 2 cubes and a Wii, and can bring 2 TV's if you need them.

As long as I can get a date this time, preferably before it passes =/

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Got Metroid: Other M this afternoon.
It's good, but I think so far I prefer the Prime games.

It is nice how its faster like the 2D Metroids, but in 3rd person there's only auto aim, and when you do go to 1st person you have free aim, but obviously you can't move around. I may just have to get used to it.
The graphics actually aren't bad.

Kal

Smash Champion
I just saw "The Expendables." It was sort of ********, but still a pretty good movie.

Ok, so it wasn't actually good, but the character interaction was fun and the action scenes were awesome. And there was even some acting!

MVPaintballer

the lil d that could
@grass cattle ill give ya my number in a message just text me and we can set up a time to play
i got a tv and a cube set up in my room

reqy

Smash Journeyman
so is there anything official going down this weekend? I'd like to play some melee after spike ***** me in 64.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
any consensus on when we can have the 1st meeting? Edgar says he can't make the 11th, and he is the prez...
plus a room needs to be reserved preferably well in advance.

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
No meeting this Saturday, cause everybody's running off to Houston. I'll probably still hold smash at my place.

Kal

Smash Champion
All right, if you guys want I can reserve a room for the 11th. However, there is some concern in an arab hosting an event that day.

Shiameyo

Smash Rookie
I think we should just hold out on the first meeting until most everyone can come.

I'm going to be pretty busy this weekend as well, so I wouldn't be able to stay the full time if we had the meeting. I think we should just do an informal smash fest at someone's place.

Kal

Smash Champion
I'm pretty busy this weekend as well. Graduate Algebra + Graduate Analysis = wtf? Seriously, I'm so confused. **** math.

Kal

Smash Champion
Maybe we'll have a Muslim celebration and JF can say it's insensitive and try to infringe on my first amendment rights?

Noc

Smash Journeyman
All right, if you guys want I can reserve a room for the 11th. However, there is some concern in an arab hosting an event that day.
Terse protocol for reserving rooms:
1. Fill out and submit the online room reservation form at this site: http://deanofstudents.utexas.edu/sald/roomres/roomapp.php
2. Wait 2-4 working days for reservation confirmation via email.
3. Pay $5 weekend room use fee at Student Organization Center, SSB 4.102. I always withdrew, i.e. wrote a check, directly from the club bank account but you can front the money and get reimbursed from the club account later.

If no rooms are available on 9/11, you should hijack one, haha.

Kal

Smash Champion
As far as I'm concerned, the president is just a figurehead. Edgar can eat a ****.

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
As far as I'm concerned, the president is just a figurehead.
Hmm, according to the dictionary:

fig·ure·head
–noun
a person who is head of a group, company, etc., in title but actually has no real authority or responsibility: Most modern kings and queens are figureheads.

No real responsibility sounds good to me =P

But for seriously, you guys should just have the meeting without me. It's not like the president has to be at every meeting.

Kal

Smash Champion
All you care about is eating fruit and touching yourself! **** you!

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, as long as there are one or two officers that take charge of setting up setups at the meeting and running any events, I think there is no requirement that the president be at every meeting.

Btw, I think the number one thing I need to work on to improve at smash is to not focus on my character and my tech skill so much. I need to make a conscious effort to watch closely where my opponent is, where he's going, and what he tends to do in certain situations (and remember that and punish when those situations arise again).

It sounds like a lot to work on, but it all starts with training myself to keep my eyes glued to my opponent. I think it will improve my spacing, help me react quicker to what my opponent does, and, eventually, improve my prediction skills.

Kal

Smash Champion
I think the number one thing to remember is to avoid "auto-pilot" when you play. This is excessively easy when you're worse than your opponents, however.

And of course, no matter how much you're concentrating, it doesn't matter if you keep doing the wrong ****. But I can only think of a few players who do this, so it's not something for most people to worry about.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Right. I sometimes give up mentally, play by habit, and become predictable. I need to make quick, smart decisions that are appropriate for that situation. Notice when I'm doing something wrong and change it.

I'll think "avoid auto-pilot" today at TYS. I'll also remember to just relax and have fun. :)

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Gg today Clay. Von ***** me again... ****it
ggs indeed. lol same results as last TYS--you knock me out and von knocks you out. It's tough facing somebody that's a little better than you but you know you could beat in tourney if you were having a good day. Easy for the nerves to kick in and your confidence to fall after one bad stock.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
ggs indeed. lol same results as last TYS--you knock me out and von knocks you out. It's tough facing somebody that's a little better than you but you know you could beat in tourney if you were having a good day. Easy for the nerves to kick in and your confidence to fall after one bad stock.
take it easy clay! play like I do and just try to make your character look good.
also, I know about matt knocking you out, that prick. in tournament, he always takes me out. and out of tournament, he always goads me into them. that prick.

Kal

Smash Champion
It seems part of the human condition is never being satisfied with tournament placing.

It's good idea to look at your tournament placing and see where you went wrong. However, it's not going to do you well to feel you didn't place high enough or to feel some sort of regret along the lines of "if I had just played better."

MT_

Smash Ace
I'm actually not complaining with where I placed. I had a VERY close set with TSC in round 1 that I lost. I could john and say I wasn't playing to my potential, but the same was probably true for him too. Last stock high percent; the match could have gone either way haha. Then I beat RoyR in losers which was also very close. Last stock low percent, but only because I gimped him. Then Clay, then Von. Man, I hate playing against Falcon and I had to play 3 of them right off the bat haha.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
I am actually quite satisfied with how I performed as well. For instance, I was happy to have taken a game off Jake13 (though he did SD on the last stock). I placed pretty much where I expected. I know I will gradually get better as long as I keep working at it and going to tourneys. Which I will do because this game is too fun.

Kal

Smash Champion
I don't think I can host an event this Saturday, by the way. I have a **** ton of **** to do. I would however be fine with hosting a smash fest at my place because I wouldn't need to drive all the way to campus and haul TVs over, and I can get work done while you nubs play.

Kal

Smash Champion
North of campus in an apartment called Riata. It's off of Parmer and Mopac.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
If it gets enough interest, I wouldn't mind stopping by, if that's cool with you, Kal. I needses more practice. Especially Falco dittos. Jake is like good and stuff, and I can't deal with lasers very well in dittos. Also, my Puff is rusty as hell.

Top Bottom