• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Maybe for my money match with Kal I'll remember that he lost to some random Fox player in Dallas and that will give me hope so that I know it is possible for me too to beat him. Like a random Fox player.
Ah! If you remember your past significant accomplishments and your opponent's past major failures you can probably make any difficult match suddenly seem winnable. The goal is to delude yourself into thinking you have a decent chance whether or not you actually do. Because if you don't believe you can win, you most likely won't.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
JF, did you use to participate in the club in previous years? I notice that you're pretty active when going to kal's or perhaps edgars's, but I hardly see you going to the meetings. or do you go and I just don't notice you?

also, when shall we have our first meeting, the 8th?
clay how do we make a club meeting!?

and lep, are you as good as kal and JF?
I was (and probably will be again) usually working when the meetings were held. If there's ever a time I'm not, I'd be more than happy to show up. I went to a couple meetings toward the end of the spring semester. Lep is a little rusty, but he's still good. I think it won't take too long before he is up to my skill level. I would say that Kal is better than I am right now though.

Also, what Noc said is true. I wouldn't use the world delusional/delude though. With confidence, there's nothing wrong with thinking you can win. I go into every match knowing that I have a chance to win.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
I suggest you guys start planning for meetings, especially since I want to drive up for some. :) I think I will get a facebook thread going between all you new officers and me so you can ask me any questions and discuss running the club.

Kal

Smash Champion
I'll try and make it. I have family in Houston so I could use it as an excuse to visit them.

I'll see if I can bring along the Austin noobs.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I should be arriving in Austin Sunday afternoon, bringing Clay's Wii.
Don't have a place to stay yet unfortunately, hopefully DHFS gets off their *****, or I need to get an apartment otherwise, furnished and not too pricey.

Kal

Smash Champion
I can get something going tonight if there's demand for it Lep.

Kal

Smash Champion
Man **** the last mission in SC2. This **** is so hard on Brutal. :(

Are people coming over today? I think 2:00 is a good time to get started.

Kal

Smash Champion
It's so **** hard man. I have my defense set up perfectly, then bull **** Kerrigan voiced by bull **** Tricia Helfer bull **** kills my ****ing bull **** tanks. It's ******** how she just ***** them in the face.

I know she's a "class 12 psionic life form," but can't she just leave me the **** alone? I'm trying to charge my toy. Jesus.

Actually, I may have found a fun cheese tactic to get through the level. I'll see how well it works.

Also, I'm thinking of making it a rule that, if you come to my smash fests, you must bring beer.

Kal

Smash Champion
At my place. 12610 Riata Trace pkwy, Austin TX 78727. The gate code is 0059. My apartment number is 1033.

Kal

Smash Champion
No, not even close. Someone on campus should be able to give you a ride, though.

Kal

Smash Champion
Are you sure? Tirno would probably be happy to give you a ride.

Also, we pretty much only play Melee here.

MT_

Smash Ace
See you at statewide tournaments Jamal. You better attend Endless Challenge when it comes around!

Kal

Smash Champion
Oh god I finally beat the level. At the end the game was lagging so hard on lowest settings. At least that queen ***** of the universe is no longer breaking my toys.

Sad to see you go Jamal. Hopefully you can visit so I can still embarrass you at smash.

Velox

Smash Ace
Well, I did a lot of math (I finished my minor in math over the summer actually), but I'm actually a physics major.

Kal

Smash Champion
I just noticed Russel's Paradox in your signature so I thought you might be a math major. Too bad you chose physics. <3

Velox

Smash Ace
hehe, I never knew what it was called :D (thank you) I learned about it when a professor randomly mentioned it in an abstract linear algebra class as a supposed classical dilemma to set theory.

Kal

Smash Champion
It's referred to as "Naive Set Theory," because the idea that the "collection of all x such that P" where P is some property yields the contradiction in your signature. Category theory, through the construction of classes, is one way around this problem. Without constructing classes, though, you can simply require that you have a universal set U, which you know to exist. You then only talk about U and its subsets, to avoid Russell's Paradox.

Velox

Smash Ace
heh, that's interesting! I had always just decided that such a set couldn't be defined or talked about. It would be like dividing by zero, the result just shouldn't be speculated about.

Kal

Smash Champion
Well division is entirely different. We define division in sort of a canonical way: if a*c = b, then we write b/c=a. However, we don't define division by 0, because there is no number a such that a*0=b for b not equal to 0.

The Russell Paradox, on the other hand, is a contradiction. You cannot have a statement and its negation both be true. Thus, the assumption that there exists a set of all objects which satisfy any given property is false.

Kal

Smash Champion
Thanks. <3

Looking forward to playing you in October. Still maining Falcon?

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
It's times like these that make me wish I stayed with the math/science route in school. There's so much I want to go back and learn, but idk if I'll ever have the time to do so. Kal, are you still planning to have smash at your place tonight?

Velox

Smash Ace
Thanks. <3

Looking forward to playing you in October. Still maining Falcon?
heh, I must have been going through a phase when I played you in Dallas and sayed I mained Falcon XD I main Marth and Sheik, and yeah, looking forward to playing you again.

Kal

Smash Champion
Yes, smash at my place tonight. Be here around 6:30. Bring beer.

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
MT, sorry, but you'll have to come up yourself. I'm up north and Edgar is at work, which is apparently not near you. Anywho, I'm heading over now. Hopefully more people show up randomly.

Top Bottom