• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Understanding landing lag on sheik fair (is there any?)

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
One of fair's many virtues is that it doesn't appear to have any landing lag at all. I frequently use a shff-fair-spot dodge to bait people in to grabbing and then grabbing them after I dodge. This seems to work specifically because the landing lag after fair is zero and sheik can spot dodge the very second she hits the ground; it seems frame perfect.

The thing is, I can't quite explain this. Supposably it has a landing lag of 10 frames, like her sex kick. But the nair has a visible landing lag, however split second it is. The ninja smack appears to have none. I'm happy about it, but I'd like to explain it.

My only hypothesis right now is that fair is so fast that it finishes in the air before sheik hits the ground, effectively skipping out on landing lag, even when used in a shff. Or I'm crazy. Penny for your thoughts.

Edit: Not frame perfect, based on observing under 1/4th speed, but pretty darn quick. Still seems faster than nair somehow. Still not convinced fair has 10 frames of landing lag.

Last edited:

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
You know, 10 frames landing lag is equal to 1/6 of a second, or 166.6ms (where 1000ms=1s). This is due to the game running on 60 FPS (frames per second), the calculation is pretty simple. This pretty much explains why you can't see it, since its really fast. (Just for the record, when driving, they say it takes about 2 seconds for you to move after something happens, where the 1st second is calculated for reaction only. Sure, you're eyes and brain are faster than this, I just wanted to put it into perspective.)

[...]and sheik can spot dodge the very second she hits the ground; it seems frame perfect.
And yes, even with 10 Frames landing lag, this statement is pretty much correct.

Othayuni

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0061-1205-7394
So why does the landing lag on nair appear longer? Am I making it up? Supposably they're both ten frames.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Probably just the visual appearance of the landing animations? Additionally, you're typically using nair early, then landing, while you'll almost always time fair right as you're in range or right before landing, causing the time between the hit and landing on the ground to be much smaller (since using nair early will cause you to hit the opponent as soon as you are able to come in contact, usually from above).

Top Bottom